Thread: NV-Lawyer, pulled over for traffic warrant, tasered, shot, now going to prison.

Exclamation NV-Lawyer, pulled over for traffic warrant, tasered, shot, now going to prison.

Any interaction can go sideways.

It is not unreasonable paranoia to be fearful of the state's enforcers

Avoid cops at all costs.

Attorney convicted of 3 felonies after surviving police shooting

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/j...sing-shooting/

The incident occurred when Raymond James “Jim” Duensing was pulled over by a motorcycle cop in a routine traffic stop near Cheyenne Avenue and Jones Boulevard. Allegedly Mr. Duensing had crossed an intersection using a lane designated for right-turns only at approximately 2:30 p.m. on October 29, 2009.

After running the driver’s license, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) Officer David Gilbert determined that there was an existing misdemeanor arrest warrant for Mr. Duensing because of outstanding traffic ticket(s).

Duensing, 33 years old at the time and practicing law in Pahrump, was asked to exit his vehicle and then told he was under arrest. The attorney requested to know why he was being arrested. With his hands above his head, Mr. Duensing tried to use reason with the officer.

“I was calmly speaking to the cop, attempting to talk my way out of being taken to jail over an unpaid High-Occupancy Vehicle ticket.”

What happened next remains in dispute. At some point, communication broke down and Officer Gilbert began tasing Mr. Duensing.

Officer Gilbert testified that Duensing did not turn around on command and that he “took a fighting stance.” The officer claimed that he needed to shock Mr. Duensing to gain his compliance.

Duensing says that the shock came unexpectedly, and when he felt the electricity run through him, he feared for his life because he has a heart condition.

“Several people without heart conditions have been killed by this weapon,” he wrote. Duensing said that his instincts took over and he removed the Taser’s prongs from his chest, and began running.

He wrote from his hospital bed, “I firmly believe this instinct saved my life.”

Duensing later testified that running away “wasn’t really a conscious decision.” He added: “I was trying to process what was going on. I thought he had the wrong person.”

As Duensing ran from the electric assault, he heard the Taser fire again, but didn’t feel another shock. Instead, he heard three gunshots and noticed that his left arm was dangling. He had been shot from behind with a .45 handgun.

Mr. Duensing worked not only in practicing law but also as at a firearms instructor at a gun range. He was carrying a pistol and a pocketknife at the time he was shot. There is major disagreement between the parties about when the officer knew there was a gun in Duensing’s pocket.

After being shot, Duensing wrote, “it was at this point that he found my licensed and registered pistol in my right cargo pants pocket and my Emerson folding knife in my right front pocket.” He added: “I NEVER pulled either of these items out of my pockets.” He insisted that his hands were empty as he ran, and a female witness asserted the same thing.

But Officer Gilbert claimed that Duensing tried to draw his gun while running, and shot Duensing in order to save lives. The Las Vegas Review Journal elaborated on the discrepancy of facts:

Defense lawyer Tom Pitaro tried to show that Gilbert could not have seen Duensing’s gun because it was tucked in the buttoned-up cargo pocket. A knife in his right hip pocket was not found by police until after he was shot.

Gilbert said he thought Duensing’s gun flew from his hands and into the air after he was shot.

Officers at the scene later found the gun in the cargo pocket.

“You’re relieved they found a gun after you shot someone,” Pitaro said.

Gilbert responded: “I’m relieved that it was found so it wasn’t there for a little kid to pick it up.”

Duensing suffered gunshot wounds to his chest, abdomen, and left arm. He survived the attack after being hospitalized. Police charged him with 3 felonies: resisting a police officer, carrying a concealed weapon, and unlawful possession of a firearm.

FOLLOW-UP:

The case against Jim Duensing dragged on for over five years. In that time, the police and prosecutor managed to keep key evidence sealed, Duensing said, including the dashboard camera video.

In 2014, still awaiting trial, Duensing decided to run for the office of district attorney — against the incumbent who was seeking to imprison him.

“There’s a lot of dissatisfaction with the way the office is being run,” specifically the handling of officer-involved shootings, Duensing told the Las Vegas Review Journal.

“No matter what they (police) do on duty, they will be backed up by their department and the DA and that means there will be zero accountability,” Duensing said.

Duensing’s D.A. race turned out to be unsuccessful, and on November 10th, 2014, he was convicted on all three felony counts. He now awaits sentencing, which will consist of 1-12 years in prison. He may also lose his law license and as a felon will never be able to legally own a gun again.

Recall that this whole ordeal arose over a so-called “High-Occupancy Vehicle” (HOV) ticket. A HOV ticket is issued, in certain states, when a car enters in a designated “carpool lane” while carrying too few passengers. It is truly among the most mundane of offenses, yet it led to a warrant and the confrontation that would change Jim Duensing’s life forever.

Duensing’s situation exemplifies how every law has the potential to kill and destroy lives and families. Every offense, no matter how trivial, is ultimately backed by armed men who are willing to use violence. And when the number of offenses becomes innumerable, the police state can crush anyone, even a professional driving home from work on a Thursday afternoon.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We need to educate others and participate in the voting process.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

Yes, any stop that doesn't go according to their script has the potential to go sideways :

Motherfucking goddamn $#@!.

Sorry, had to get out something. Otherwise, I would've bit my tongue off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

HOV is a death sentence.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Lawyer........

I've gotta admit, it's really difficult for me to find sympathy...

As the article very clearly states, it's because of taxpayer funded lawyers that this type of BS happens in the first place.

I've said repeatedly that I hold DA's fully responsible for the kops behavior and now some bloke who ran for DA is being subjected to the same persecution as anyone else...

Disarming kops and changing laws isn't going to do $#@! until the DA's and judges are brought to heal...

Nevada is truly corrupted. There is literally a police misconduct story posted about that state way too frequently.

And what is a LEO doing carrying a .45 as a duty weapon? Total overkill! (Personally, I think states should impose standards on this matter, e.g., sanctioning for service use only 9mm semi-auto handguns with clean burning, low velocity, FMJ classed ammo, and 6-round magazines, with a maximum of two additional magazines carried on the duty-belt for a total of 18-rounds.)

Oh and notice how in all of these cases where they shot because the other person had a weapon, was alleged to be holding a weapon, or was readying to shoot back at them, etc., in all of those cases it is only the officer that ever expends any rounds, and always more than just one or two shots, be it, three, twenty-two, one-hundred-thirty-seven, three-hundred-seventy-seven, or six-hundred.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Honestly the caliber of round one is shot with doesn't matter..

The issue as I see it is that the executive and judicial branches are working in concert to absolve each other of responsibility.

Things have escalated to the point that holding them accountable for their actions must be done in the street.

The longer folks bicker about such minutiae as what caliber one gets maimed with the more deeply entrenched the offenders become.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe some day a Batman or some other super hero will recognize the problem and make it their priority.

"98% of lawyers give all rest of them a bad name."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Honestly the caliber of round one is shot with doesn't matter..

The issue as I see it is that the executive and judicial branches are working in concert to absolve each other of responsibility.

Things have escalated to the point that holding them accountable for their actions must be done in the street.

The longer folks bicker about such minutiae as what caliber one gets maimed with the more deeply entrenched the offenders become.
    FWIW, .22 cal is the deadliest ammo round.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    Nevada is truly corrupted. There is literally a police misconduct story posted about that state way too frequently.

And what is a LEO doing carrying a .45 as a duty weapon? Total overkill! (Personally, I think states should impose standards on this matter, e.g., sanctioning for service use only 9mm semi-auto handguns with clean burning, low velocity, FMJ classed ammo, and 6-round magazines, with a maximum of two additional magazines carried on the duty-belt for a total of 18-rounds.)

Oh and notice how in all of these cases where they shot because the other person had a weapon, was alleged to be holding a weapon, or was readying to shoot back at them, etc., in all of those cases it is only the officer that ever expends any rounds, and always more than just one or two shots, be it, three, twenty-two, one-hundred-thirty-seven, three-hundred-seventy-seven, or six-hundred.
    .45 ACP, because firing twice is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Lawyer........

I've gotta admit, it's really difficult for me to find sympathy...
    It reminds me of the people who raise a tiger from a cub, and when it becomes 500 pounds it turns on the owner. More laws and more police power meant more business for them. Good money for not creating anything.

Lawyers used to think they were above all this. Now their pet monster can turn on them at will. And all their knowledge of the law is worthless against a falsified police report that is considered the final truth.
    Disarming kops and changing laws isn't going to do $#@! until the DA's and judges are brought to heal...
    I feel sorry for the lawyer as a person, but this case is truly where a group of people "did this to themselves" as well as the rest of us.
    Last edited by RJB; 12-03-2014 at 09:33 AM.

I'm lost. Did the lawyer not have his carry permit? If he did the cop knew he MIGHT have a weapon.