Thread: Considering Moving to CA from Australia

Considering Moving to CA from Australia

So I've been thinking about it for years and is part of my life goals to live and work in the United States for at least a year (and likely more). As an Australian I am "lucky" (our Prime Minister secured a deal with George Bush as part of an FTA to support the war in Iraq... to make a special E31 Visa for Aussies. I am able to easily get a VISA and extend it indefinitely if I am able to get employment in the degree/field I studied: Bach. of International Business / Bach. of Business maj. management... so that includes; marketing, finance etc.

I am considering a few places; for a few reasons. I'm interested in the outdoors; specifically cycling, and working in those related industries.

Boulder, Colorado is one of the places I have heard about which I am prospecting (RPF thread).

San Fransisco is another I am really interested in. I'm pretty ignorant though, so feel free to offer suggestions!

I have applied to a few places in SF (anyone know anyone who works at Strava ); but it's generally hard when you're out of the country - they're not sure how committed you are (I'm willing to get one a plane asap haha). Got an itch to travel and do the US sooner rather than later in a big way. I understand that being there makes finding work far easier; was hoping to lock something in before leaping over there though.

Any suggestions given the above are very much appreciated. Know of any contacts in the industry, or work. For those in CA, anywhere else I should be focusing? What's cost of living like? Finding a new place? Many cyclist groups about in the region?
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Go to New York city.
    Haha really? Are you there?

I know I'd dig it. 24 hour city etc. Riding though? Outdoors? Cycling industry?
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

Given your 2 choices so far, maybe another one would be Austin, TX. It's a similar political environment with less distance to escape from.

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    Haha really? Are you there?

I know I'd dig it. 24 hour city etc. Riding though? Outdoors? Cycling industry?
    LOL

None of the above.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG