Thread: Brain tanning a deer hide.

Brain tanning a deer hide.

I've tanned 4 in the past. I'm going to be working two over the next week as well as three rabbit skins. I'm going to leave the fur on the rabbits for mittens.

I'll take the fur off the deer skins. Brain tanned buckskin feels like a wool blanket without the itch.

For skinning a deer it comes off easier the sooner you do it after the kill. I don't even need a knife other than the initial cuts.

The first step is fleshing. I'm doing that today. I'll find a video.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's the fleshing. This is the first part after the skinning of course.

subscribed

teach me more; I've only ever scraped and salted hides

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    subscribed

Same. But I have worn Brain Tanned Buckskin. Very comfortable, and hard wearing.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    subscribed

Taxidermy?

I fleshed it today. It's about an hour and a half per hide. I took breaks, goofed off, tinkered with other projects, etc. They sell "fleshing knives" but any dulled blade works fine. I've used an old draw blade before, today I just used a well thrown 12" throwing knife.

I was going to string them up to dry, but I didn't have the materials I thought I had.

I haven't tanned a hide since 2005 so I'll post the steps as I go along.

ETA I'm posting this to share and inspire, but also I tend to follow through if I tell others I'll do something. This is to make sure I finish this project Feel free to ask questions

Cool! I bought a book on the subject but have never done it. I was surprised to learn that real buckskin is a very different material than regular tanned leather.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I strung one of them up Saturday and dry scraped it Sunday and today. It was a nice day. I had no appointments at my office later in the day, so I just took the afternoon off.

Sun was out. My kids were playing around me. I was barefooted and in shorts and a T-shirt. I'm a bit of a barefooted hippie/mountain man in my element. It was a great day!

I'll post some vids when I find some good ones on youtube about what I did. I forgot how hard it is to get the membrane off the flesh side. I think I'm just going to try 30 grit sand paper and do it against a flat board. Right now it's a hairless piece of rawhide, which has some uses, but I want to make some buckskin clothes. The raw hade can be glued to the back of a longbow to make it nearly unbreakable.