Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering Moving to Boulder, CO from Australia

Considering Moving to Boulder, CO from Australia

Or anywhere else in the States that comes highly recommended.

Anyone local/s I could touch base with?

Keen on the outdoors, weather (warm), cycling, working in that industry.

Feel free to disparage such a choice n' highlight better alternatives for the above?
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sure you want to move to Gulag AmeriKa?

NH if you are not set on warm weather

Love that area, I'd be happy just about anywhere on the front range or in the mountains of Colorado.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Boulder living is pretty expensive, FYI.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...cost+of+living
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 11-28-2014 at 09:43 AM.

I lived 25 years in Colorado. Boulder is expensive. One of my daughters who is due to have her second child any minute chose to move to Cody Wyoming a year or so ago. I envy her. Big Game in the back yard. Low crime. Nice place to live. It all depends on what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I lived 25 years in Colorado. Boulder is expensive. One of my daughters who is due to have her second child any minute chose to move to Cody Wyoming a year or so ago. I envy her. Big Game in the back yard. Low crime. Nice place to live. It all depends on what you want.
    Congrats!

Boulder, CO is not warm, so why not go to NH and swell the ranks of libertarians moving there? There is no sales tax or income tax.

You're gonna really enjoy the USA. It is the greatest country in the world.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by lib3rtarian View Post
    Boulder, CO is not warm, so why not go to NH and swell the ranks of libertarians moving there? There is no sales tax or income tax.
    Boulder isnt always warm, but its nearly always sunny, which makes it feel warm. Snow on the ground rarely lasts for more than a day.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Is that what it's known as? ;o They crack down on anything in particular?
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Worthy Threads:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Boulder living is pretty expensive, FYI.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...cost+of+living
    Ohhh. Is there a possibility of living just outside of it, but still basically being in Boulder?

At the moment, I'd be keen to make the leap - if I've sorted work first. Will definitely take a look. If I lock that in, as an Aussie - have a E31 Visa. Have to be employed in work related to my degree; Bach. of International Business / Bach. of Business, Maj. management. So anything typically business related I am good to go with indefinitely for work in the states.

Ideally, tee something up before hand. Get the VISA, then sprout elsewhere. Up for anything to get my foot in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Love that area, I'd be happy just about anywhere on the front range or in the mountains of Colorado.
    Awesome. Likely costs per week you think, much accom. available or it's seasonal?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Not so much phased by any of that. Expense is a bit annoying. Looking for outdoors, cycling, work in that industry for a large company. Keen to just get there first tbh.

What's the outdoors / cycling industry like there? Passion of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Boulder isnt always warm, but its nearly always sunny, which makes it feel warm. Snow on the ground rarely lasts for more than a day.
    Yeah sun is the go to I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    You're gonna really enjoy the USA. It is the greatest country in the world.
    Thanks. Been and done Europe. Aus is epic and hard to leave, but I need some adventure and do the states in a big way before contemplating settling back down here. Who knows, might not come back!

Worthy Threads:

Boulder is a leftist type of city. Like, actual Marxist type of people there are popular. Not all of Colorado is quite like Boulder though. Coming from Australia to the US it might not be that big of a deal. It's a pretty landscape to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Boulder is a leftist type of city. Like, actual Marxist type of people there are popular. Not all of Colorado is quite like Boulder though. Coming from Australia to the US it might not be that big of a deal. It's a pretty landscape to live in.
    http://www.stephankinsella.com/2009/...ially-correct/ ?

Yeah, it's low on my list of priorities atm.

I'd be seeking out fellow cyclists etc. Any Ron Paul meetups out there though? Surely there's a few. It'd be small... but it'd be bigger than Australia no doubt

Worthy Threads:

I lived in Colorado Springs and Denver.

I have lived in many states and a few foreign countries. I think weather wise, Colorado is the best place to live. And Colorado is relatively an inexpensive place to live. Bolder might be higher with housing and property taxes, but it is still in Colorado. If you are not into local politics, I don't think the left leaning there would be much of an issue.

The weather is great, it gets cold, but that never last long. You can get up into the 70's during winter.

Summer can be hot too, but it is so dry, if you are in the shade, even at 100 degrees you will not sweat.

It is a trucking hub, so lots of fresh produce and cheap. Bikers everywhere and great skiing.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I lived in Colorado Springs and Denver.

I have lived in many states and a few foreign countries. I think weather wise, Colorado is the best place to live. And Colorado is relatively an inexpensive place to live. Bolder might be higher with housing and property taxes, but it is still in Colorado. If you are not into local politics, I don't think the left leaning there would be much of an issue.

The weather is great, it gets cold, but that never last long. You can get up into the 70's during winter.

Summer can be hot too, but it is so dry, if you are in the shade, even at 100 degrees you will not sweat.

It is a trucking hub, so lots of fresh produce and cheap. Bikers everywhere and great skiing.
    Cheers Danke! Sign me up haha. Work prospects? How is the travel internally - need a car for everything? "Public" transport available at all? What's the night life like?

Someone mentioned expensive earlier; guess the real question is - "compared to what" ... not New York, San Fran etc. surely?

Worthy Threads:

Where you from in Australia - city or countryside?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Brisbane. City. // Rural

NH has high property taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

The western parts of Oregon and Washington are awesome. Not the warmest climates in the U.S., however.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    I wouldn't be buying though? Guess higher rent as a result?

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    The western parts of Oregon and Washington are awesome. Not the warmest climates in the U.S., however.
    Thanks. I'll check them out. Any more info?

=====================================

General question; winter / ski season - are there many slopes/resorts nearby? Is that a big industry there? Travel time to get to them?

Worthy Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    I wouldn't be buying though? Guess higher rent as a result?
    I would think so, maybe on of the NHers here could give you the going rates. I don't know what they are up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Thanks. I'll check them out. Any more info?

General question; winter / ski season - are there many slopes/resorts nearby? Is that a big industry there? Travel time to get to them?
    My parents retired in this area:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Olym...w&ved=0CEwQsAQ

http://skiwashington.com/resorts/

http://www.skioregon.org/#

https://www.google.com/search?q=oreg...Q&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Just saw this slick promo video:

No sales tax in Oregon. No state income tax in Washington. Apparently open carry is legal in Oregon. There appears to be several youtubes of people interacting with the cops. I just watched two of them and they were both very entertaining and interesting. Good luck with your quest!
    Last edited by anaconda; 11-29-2014 at 07:47 PM.

I just spent a few weeks there and I can tell you that Boulder is uber expensive.... an the surrounding area isn't cheap. Lots of Californians moving in, and also a great deal of oil/gas is driving the prices up too.

It's nice, but Colorado is trending towards California due to the influx.

I liked spending time there, but I don't think I'd want to live there long term.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I would recommend the central coast of California. Anywhere between the end of LA County to around Half Moon Bay.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If I were you, I'd look into San Antonio, Texas. Austin is too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    If I were you, I'd look into San Antonio, Texas. Austin is too expensive.
    San Antonio is cheap because it sucks. Unless it's changed since I last lived there 15 years ago.
    - Kim Kardashian

S.A. definitely does not "suck". Well, maybe the south side does.

Is that what it's known as? ;o They crack down on anything in particular?
    Coming from overseas to live, be very careful about carrying large amounts of cash.

You'll be driving along, or in an airport, you'll be accosted by cops, they will ask for "permission" to search you, your bags or vehicle, of course being a right thinking person you refuse, they detain you until they get a drug dog trained to "trigger" on command, now they have "probable cause" to tear your $#@! apart and keep any cash or valuables they find, without charging you with any crime.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Middling high.

Not too far out line with about the upper third of the country.

Rates vary wildly by town to town.

Do your homework to make sure you move to a low PT town.

Middling high.

Not too far out line with about the upper third of the country.

Rates vary wildly by town to town.

Do your homework to make sure you move to a low PT town.
    I want to purchase a home with at least a couple of acres but preferably more. My wife will probably want to work for another 20 years or so in the accounting field. Please advise me what areas of NH you would recommend. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast