Thread: E-cigs 10 times as carcinogenic as smoking?

E-cigs 10 times as carcinogenic as smoking?

http://news.yahoo.com/e-cigarettes-1...081638013.html

I'm interested in this study. I recently picked up an e-cig a few months ago, and this is concerning. Granted, the time to worry about cancer was before I even picked up that first real cigarette years ago, but I'm also wary of this report since Big Tobacco would have a lot to gain by smearing the competition.

One omission that causes my skepticism of this study is that they don't actually mention the brands of e-Liquid that were involved in the study. Seems that would be something a lot of people would want to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'll have a cigarette in a social setting. Once a week. Sometimes I'll go a year without one. I just don't get addicted.

But I don't trust those vapes. Tobacco is an herb. I like to enjoy an herb in it's entirety as God intended. Ma huang can be used in moderation-- meth is bad news. Same with coca leave versus cocaine. Poppies VS heroine... Wine VS whiskey...

People tend to screw up a good thing in their greed for more.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/e-cigarettes-1...081638013.html

I'm interested in this study. I recently picked up an e-cig a few months ago, and this is concerning. Granted, the time to worry about cancer was before I even picked up that first real cigarette years ago, but I'm also wary of this report since Big Tobacco would have a lot to gain by smearing the competition.

One omission that causes my skepticism of this study is that they don't actually mention the brands of e-Liquid that were involved in the study. Seems that would be something a lot of people would want to know.
    Big Tobacco is buying a lot of the e-cig companies now. They are getting in as the market is slowing.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/big-t...eck-1409078319

Big Tobacco is finally making its big push into electronic cigarettes. Altria Group Inc. MO +0.53% and Reynolds American Inc. RAI +0.38% together have captured about a quarter of convenience-store sales just weeks into national rollouts of the battery-powered devices.

In a surprising development, though, e-cigarette sales are falling at these traditional retail outlets, reversing three years of rapid-fire growth. That raises questions whether Altria and Reynolds, which already dominate the U.S. tobacco market with a combined 75% market share, are fishing in the right pond with the proper bait. It is unclear at this point if it also calls into question the future of the new "vaping" craze.

About seven in 10 regular cigarettes are sold in convenience stores. That's where Altria, maker of top-selling Marlboro, is distributing its MarkTen e-cigarette, and Reynolds, maker of Camel, is launching its electronic Vuse. That is also where No. 3 tobacco player Lorillard Inc. LO -0.10% is already positioned with the top-selling e-cigarette, Blu. They're all hoping to capture the small but growing number of smokers who are switching to the gadgets, which heat nicotine-laced liquid into vapor and are believed less toxic than cigarettes.
    Altria and Reynolds's e-cigarette dollar shares at convenience stores reached 14% and 11%, respectively, for the four weeks ended Aug. 2 after beginning their national rollouts in June, according to Wells Fargo, citing Nielsen store-scanner data. But overall e-cigarette sales at convenience stores shrank 7.5% in the same period, to $41.4 million.

E-cigarette sales also dropped 3.8% to $172 million in the 12 weeks ended Aug. 10 at convenience stores and other traditional retailers like supermarkets and drugstores, according to IRI. Year-to-date sales in such channels are up 12% after soaring roughly 150% in each of the previous two years and about 475% in 2011, the market-research firm estimates.
    more at link.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...o-e-cigarettes

R.J. Reynolds (RAI) announced (PDF) today that it plans to expand its Vuse electronic cigarette brand, tested in four states, to retailers nationally next week, making it the second of the three big tobacco companies to make a serious foray into e-cigs. Lorillard (LO), which acquired Blu eCigs in 2012 for $135 million, now enjoys about 40 percent of the current market; Altria Group (MO) owns two e-cig brands and has plans to expand nationally as well.

I always thought e-cig was mainly nicotine and flavoring. And I don't think nicotine is a carcinogen. What am I missing?

Wasn't there a "study" that proved McDonalds french fries were 100 times more cancerous than untreated tobacco?

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-23-2016 at 11:18 PM.

This is bull$#@!, ecigs are not dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by robertwerden View Post
    This is bull$#@!, ecigs are not dangerous
    Evidence? I have seen studies suggesting they are "less harmful" but nothing to say competely not harmful. Tobacco cigarettes were once thought of as not just not harmful but even healthy. Lung cancer rates have gone down along with cigarette smoking rates.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28554456

(and to note that there are many different "mixes" used in e-cigs- some may be more or less harmful than others and it will depend on how much one smokes them).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-27-2014 at 08:15 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Evidence?
    That is an impossible question to answer since just about everything is dangerous. But I think he was trying to say that e-cigs are not more dangerous than reg cigarettes.

I do think the "ten times" figure is just an attention grabber. "Not more dangerous" is still not "not dangerous". There really isn't enough long term data to say for sure either way.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    In this study they tested some $#@!ty liquids with formaldehyde and $#@! added to it. Not the sort of stuff most ecig users in the us are vaping.
    That's not true. Formaldehyde isn't added, its a byproduct of propylene glycol oxidation:

CH2OH-CHOH-CH3 + 2O2 -> 2CH2O + 2H2O + CO2
    (Oxidation of propylene glycol yeilds formaldehyde, water, and carbon dioxide)

http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/q...when-vaporized

Every e-cig I've ever heard of uses propylene glycol as the base.

Last edited by presence; 11-27-2014 at 09:01 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

"In one brand of e-cigarette the team found more than 10 times the level of carcinogens contained in one regular cigarette,"
    Does this mean the entire container which is probably equivalent to 50 cigarettes has 10 times the level of one regular cigarette? That would mean there is an 80% reduction in the amount of chemicals.

Either way, at least they are admitting it is the additives that are cancer causing. Obviously that is something that can be easily adjusted with market forces.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I find it interesting that the brands nor type of electronic cigarette are ever mentioned. As a producer of the e-liquid in the US, we use the same formula as used by hospitals to aid in lung disorders. This type of treatment was approved in 1948 and even made Time Magazine in the same year. This same process was again approved in 1958 as a treatment for lung issues. So tell me this, if it can be used in the medical world with Government approval, then who is funding these studies?
    Another commenter said that she makes her own e-liquid. There's no reason you need to add these carcinogenic chemicals.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

here's the study

http://ntr.oxfordjournals.org/conten...tr.ntu078.full

It was not "additives" that were the issue; moreso voltage and whether the solvent used to hold the nicotine was

vegetable glycerin (VG) or
    propylene glycol (PG):

The lesson is to use 3.2v devices and vegetable glycerin based e-liquid.
    Last edited by presence; 11-27-2014 at 09:19 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Wasn't there a "study" that proved McDonalds french fries were 100 times more cancerous than untreated tobacco?

I remember that study. It really opened my eyes to how very harmful McDonald's fries could be. After a lot of soul searching I realized I had to make a big lifestyle change when it came to me and my McFries.

I stopped smoking them the very next day.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    I stopped smoking them the very next day.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I always thought e-cig was mainly nicotine and flavoring. And I don't think nicotine is a carcinogen. What am I missing?
    Nicotene is very toxic. Too much can kill.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

For some reason, reading this made me once again realize I'm addicted to nicotine.

Dammit Newports why you gotta be so good yet so bad to me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Another commenter said that she makes her own e-liquid. There's no reason you need to add these carcinogenic chemicals.
    That's interesting. I may have to rethink this. If someone grows their own tobacco, makes an extract through a tincture, infusion, etc. and uses that, I'm guessing it maybe healthier without the ash (tobacco and paper) and other harsh impurities people breath in with a lit cigarrette. I'm wondering about tobacco essential oils as well. This herb does have some strong medicinal qualities if not abused. I have heard of people vaping cannabis that they extract as well. I'm wondering how this technology could be applied to other herbs as well, mullein, mint etc.

and yet another reason to go with the VG liquids instead of the PG and blends

still.. not seeing how that's More chemicals than in a cig.. just one byproduct does not equal the,,, what was it.. around 2200 chemicals in big tobacco's products?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    here's the study

http://ntr.oxfordjournals.org/conten...tr.ntu078.full

It was not "additives" that were the issue; moreso voltage and whether the solvent used to hold the nicotine was

vegetable glycerin (VG) or
    propylene glycol (PG):

The lesson is to use 3.2v devices and vegetable glycerin based e-liquid.

Virgin Vapor Gourmet Organic e-Liquid and Electronic Cigarettes
    http://www.virginvapor.com/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    Nicotene is very toxic. Too much can kill.
    In its straight, purified, powdered form--it is incredibly dangerous.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    In its straight, purified, powdered form--it is incredibly dangerous.
    Deadly. I remember a story of a woman who killed her lover by putting nicotine inside a condom. And it is the nicotine in tobacco that causes heart disease. But I thought the carcinogenicity of tobacco came from other components?
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Some of the Native American tribes tipped arrows with tobacco extract to poison them.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.