Thread: Monitored!

Monitored!

From Drudge;

#HappyTracksgiving : How your travels are tracked this holiday season

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...oliday-season/

It’s that time again. We’re on the move -- feasting, sharing, shopping, giving thanks. And we are being tracked every step of the way. So here’s a quick guide to the state of the unblinking electronic eye, 2014 Holiday Edition.

Flying home? Every passenger on every flight is recorded on digital manifests. Every plane is tracked. And even before you board, airports are among the most intensively surveilled public spaces, full of cameras and other monitoring devices. Some airports even use tiny sensors hidden in lighting fixtures that, according to the New York Times, can spot long lines, read license plates and report “suspicious activity” to authorities.

Taking the train? All aboard for monitoring. Ticket transactions happen with computers – or online – typically with credit cards, making it easy to follow any passenger or all of them. Train stations, meanwhile, are nearly as camera-laden as airports.

Uber or Lyft? Smartphone-based car services collect massive amounts of precise data, including your name, cell number, starting point, ending point, pickup time, drop-off time and exact route. Plus, that same data is collected on every other rider as well, making it easy for those with access to the databases to analyze who is seeing whom, when, where and, with a bit of imagination, why.

Driving yourself? The web of surveillance is a bit looser here, but there are countless license plates readers on our highways, both fixed and mounted on government vehicles. Databases collect such information for easy sharing. Those handy electronic toll payment systems, such as EZ Pass, are tracking you too. Highway rest areas are heavy on the video monitoring. And likely coming soon: facial recognition systems.

Walking? Both our big cities and small towns increasingly are thick with surveillance cameras, including newer generations that can see for miles, with amazing precision. Then there’s the rising use of overhead surveillance, from airplanes, drones, and aerostats, those blimp-like craft floating above some border areas.

What about a horse on backwoods trails? Hot air balloon? Offroad mountain bike? Well, even if you manage to avoid the ground cameras and the drones, there’s still that pesky phone in your pocket. If you’ve flipped on location services for your iPhone, maybe so Google Maps can keep you from getting lost, Apple and Google both are getting location data from you. So are the operators of many others apps.

Too paranoid to use a smartphone? Even the oldest, dumbest flip phone has to communicate with cell towers in order to work, meaning Verizon or AT&T – and potentially the government – know what cell tower your phone is using and in some situations can remotely activate GPS systems. Location technology initially developed for 911 calls also can estimate how close you are to various towers, making it easier to home in on your exact coordinates. Altitude measurements – revealing what floor you are on -- are next.

The U.S. Marshals Service, meanwhile, is flying airplanes with surveillance gear that collects nearby cell signals, helping track fugitives, drug dealers and – whether intentionally or not – everyone else at the same time, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Bear in mind that all these systems operate passively, continuously, even if nobody is looking for you. If you are an actual target of the authorities – be it your government or somebody else’s -- there are even more powerful tools available. Surveillance companies sell malicious software to install on smartphones for tracking locations, browsing your e-mail and activating video cameras and microphones.

The latest cell phone tracking technology reportedly can find you in almost any country in the world, even without a court order or the help of the phone company.

And if you’re staying close to home, your local police may have an IMSI catcher – sometimes called a StringRay -- they can set up outside your home and business to collect your cell phone signals. With that, authorities can track all your communications and Internet traffic while getting a rough idea of your physical movements as well.

These are just the techniques that we know about. No doubt there are others in operation and still others in development.

So travel safe, smile for the cameras and enjoy a Happy Tracksgiving!

Or for the benefit of all those systems that now track the public mood on social media: #HappyTracksgiving! Please tweet out anything I’ve missed.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I have nothing to hide.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

From the Washington Post? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I have nothing to hide.
    i can't say that.

CC.

I predict by few years from there would less travelers in the skies, as some would go back by booking sea trips to there destination.

One nation under surveillance.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I'd report all of you ... but they already know ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I'd report all of you ... but they already know ...

pretty sure all this fear about so-called government surveillance is all just a big mis-understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    pretty sure all this fear about so-called government surveillance is all just a big mis-understanding.
    Exactly, comrade! I, for one, am grateful so many people care so much./sarc

Suzanimal's Fedbook friend

On this Thanksgiving day, remember to say The State's Prayer.

"Our Leader, who art in Washington,
    hallowed be thy roads.
    Thy property rights none,
    Thy taxes done, on time and in sealed envelope.
    Give us this day our daily bread ration,
    And forgive us our voluntary trades,
    as we forgive those who voluntarily trade with us.
    And lead us not into free markets,
    but deliver us from Somalia,
    For thine is the interstate, the drones, the schools,
    and the functioning toasters, forever and ever.
    Sweden."
    Last edited by Suzanimal; 11-27-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Home of the Tracked, land of the a Police State.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    Home of the Tracked, land of the a Police State.
    Land of the Knave,
    Home of the Slave.

It's a bitter, stupid joke to even try and call this a "free" country anymore.

It's an open air Panopticon prison.

And the guards have just started to have their fun with us.

Wait until the $#@! really cranks up.

No cell phone... I try not to leave dirt roads but once a month to get groceries.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Location technology initially developed for 911 calls also can estimate how close you are to various towers, making it easier to home in on your exact coordinates. Altitude measurements – revealing what floor you are on -- are next.

Any phone with good GPS should be able to give exact altitude anyway. GPS is a three dimensional system.

On a related note, less than 48 hours ago I had a relative ask me why I didn't like - or use = Facebook. He just couldn't understand it. When I started to explain, he assured me all I had to do was set my preferences to "private" and no one could see anything I posted. And for that matter, exactly what was I trying to hide, anyway??

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Any phone with good GPS should be able to give exact altitude anyway. GPS is a three dimensional system.

On a related note, less than 48 hours ago I had a relative ask me why I didn't like - or use = Facebook. He just couldn't understand it. When I started to explain, he assured me all I had to do was set my preferences to "private" and no one could see anything I posted. And for that matter, exactly what was I trying to hide, anyway??
    Aaahhhhh! Yeah, I got someone who says they post in pms and think that is actually completely private as well. Smh...

I post on FB but it is because years ago when the state decided to get in my stuff they made a production out of the fact that dh and I are very private people. Soooo, I am now making sure that my need for privacy is not misinterpreted so that it may not be used against me with my children again. If they are going to try and put words in my mouth like they did last time then they will have some explain' to do.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    From the Washington Post? Really?
    Well sure, now, after it's too late to do anything.

Maybe 15 years ago, if they had been raising steady hell about it, something could have been done.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.