Thread: USA Today: Civil asset forfeiture is government at its absolute worst.

Exclamation USA Today: Civil asset forfeiture is government at its absolute worst.

When police play bounty hunter: Our view

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...ates/19299879/

The Editorial Board, 2:44 p.m. EST November 20, 2014

Civil asset forfeiture is government at its absolute worst.

Ming Ton Liu, a Chinese-born American, was driving to Louisiana last year to buy a restaurant when he was stopped for speeding in Alabama.

A sheriff's deputy questioned Liu, searched his car and found $75,195 in cash, which was for a down payment. Liu was ticketed for speeding and held for a few hours. A drug-sniffing dog was brought in. Police said the dog "alerted" after sniffing the money and Liu gave conflicting accounts. But no drugs were found. No charges were filed.

Authorities seized the cash anyway.

It took Liu 10 months, two lawyers and two claims to get back the money he and his relatives had saved. By then, the restaurant deal fell through.

Liu, who has no criminal record, was luckier than most people cheated by an increasingly common — and utterly outrageous — practice that can amount to legalized theft by police. According to The Washington Post, authorities have used "civil asset forfeiture" programs more than 61,000 times since 9/11 to seize cash and valuables worth $2.5 billion, all without search warrants or indictments.

The programs, born in the 1970s to seize ill-gotten gains from drug trafficking, have become unmoored from their original intent of taking the profit out of crime. Police can seize a person's assets without charging them with a crime and — incredibly — wind up keeping the loot for the department's financial benefit, an arrangement one might expect in a banana republic, not the United States.

Many victims have done nothing more than carry an amount of cash police find "suspicious." They included drivers with cash to renovate a house, purchase a used car or buy shrubbery for a landscape business. A traffic violation, or a perceived one, is often used as a pretext for a stop and seizure.

Once money, a car or other valuables are seized, it's up to individuals to prove that the property was not derived from a crime — a complex task that can mean paying a lawyer to battle local prosecutors or a federal agency. Many people can't afford to do it. Even when people fight, this guilty-until-proven-innocent system is stacked in the government's favor.

All this was enabled by a 1984 federal law that let authorities keep a chunk of the money they seize. Today, more than 40 states have similar laws. (Thanks again St. Reagan. - AF)

In the past few years, private consultants — often former law enforcement officers — have gotten in on the act, teaching aggressive tactics in "highway interdiction," the system that trapped Liu.

A few states have tried to rein in abuse, passing stronger protections for individuals. A new law in Minnesota requires a conviction or guilty plea before assets can be seized. Measures introduced in Congress could help rein in this travesty.

For starters, assets seized should no longer go to the agencies that seized them, removing any profit motive. More broadly, no one should be "fined" by a seizure when he has not even been charged with a crime.

Civil asset forfeiture is government at its absolute worst — intimidating helpless citizens for its own benefit. It needs to go away.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And it's taken the media 30 years to notice?

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Nice to see you back!
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Yup, but by god, now we'll see some action.

A SWLOD from the editors of USA Today has got to have the standing army shaking in their boots.

No one will steal from me without a bloodbath. No one. And that's all I really have to say on the matter.

I wouldn't put all the blame on Reagan, although he made it worse. southern states were doing this for decades, some even allowing personal commissions for traffic fines

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    No one will steal from me without a bloodbath. No one. And that's all I really have to say on the matter.

I take it you don't own real estate?

I was reminded today of John Joe Gray....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ns-ending.html
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

The real purpose of having an armed and organized population is to make such tyranny dangerous to the tyrant. Power will expand until it is checked by other power.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Somebody's going to have to do something, that's for sure. We can't fight this with lawyers or voting.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    The real purpose of having an armed and organized population is to make such tyranny dangerous to the tyrant. Power will expand until it is checked by other power.
    Newton's 3rd.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yup, but by god, now we'll see some action.

A SWLOD from the editors of USA Today has got to have the standing army shaking in their boots.
    SWLOD?

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    SWLOD?
    Strongly worded letter of discontent.

A lovely and quaint (and frankly naive) 18th century sort of thought. But I highly doubt you'll ever get your hands on enough weaponry to make the regime's strongmen quake in their boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Depends on how many of the 315,000,000 Americans decide enough is enough. Doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Discontent and/or disapproval

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Discontent and/or disapproval

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    A lovely and quaint (and frankly naive) 18th century sort of thought.
    So is the constitution.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

A lovely and quaint (and frankly naive) 18th century sort of thought. But I highly doubt you'll ever get your hands on enough weaponry to make the regime's strongmen quake in their boots.
    Nope, gotta disagree here.

For all of Leviathan's belching, blustering, brutality and blow-hardiness, in the end, it is a paper tiger.

Bundy Ranch proved that.

It would only take 10-15 percent of the population, fully committed and armed as resistance fighters to bring the whole sham tumbling down.

What would rise in its place is a mystery, and a risk.

But it can't hardly be worse than what we have now, or what is planned for us mundanes in the future in this regime.

Battle of Athens
    Bundy Ranch
    Next?
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

A lovely and quaint (and frankly naive) 18th century sort of thought.
    What is naive about it?

SWLODs & voting sure as hell won't do the job. And non-compliance, while necessary, is alone not sufficient for the purpose.

An armed (and non-compliant) populace is ultimately the only real or significant check against the power of the State.

But I highly doubt you'll ever get your hands on enough weaponry to make the regime's strongmen quake in their boots.
    You appear to be assuming the necessity of (at least) a "tit-for-tat" correspondence between the armory of the State and the armory of the People. But the fact that the State may significantly "outgun" the People in terms of materiel is not dispositive. Far from it. The use and application of force is not costless - not even for the State. Thus, the People do not need sufficient armory to go "toe to toe" with the State. They only need sufficient armory to overcome the willingness of the State to pay the costs of forcibly imposing its will upon them. (And among those costs is not just the expenditure of monies and physical assets, but - much more significantly - the further alienation and provocation of the population, the emboldening of "revolutionaries," the creation of new "revolutionaries," the potential loss of "legitimacy" in the eyes of otherwise neutral or even friendly observers, etc. For "extreme" examples of these things, see the American Revolution, the Vietnam War, and the Soviets' invasion of Afghanistan.)
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-28-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: reactionaries --> revolutionaries
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·