Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coca-Cola enters dairy market with ‘Milka-Cola’

Coca-Cola enters dairy market with ‘Milka-Cola’

What could go wrong?

Coca-Cola is launching its own brand of milk, which it claims could become so popular that it will “rain money” for the company.

Fairlife, which will launch in the US next month, will cost twice as much as regular milk and will have 50% more protein and 30% less sugar.

Sandy Douglas, Coke’s global chief customer officer, said Fairlife was “a milk that’s premiumisedWTH? and tastes better and we’ll charge twice as much for it as the milk we’re used to buying”.

He told a conference: “We’re going to be investing in the milk business for a while to build the brand, so it won’t rain money in the early couple of years. But like Simply [Coke’s premium fruit juice line], when you do it well, it rains money later.”

Douglas said Fairlife, a joint venture with US dairy farmers, used “a proprietary milk filtering process that allows you to increase protein by 50%, take sugar down by 30%, and have no lactose.”

He made the comments at a Morgan Stanley investment conference last week, but a transcript has only recently been released.

Milk sales in the US are down 8% over the past decade, and half of American adults do not drink milk, according to the trade journal Dairy Today .

A Fairlife spokeswoman said there were no plans to launch the product, which has already been branded “Milka-Cola” on Twitter, outside the US. Coke is still smarting from a failed attempt to sell bottled tap water in the UK under the brand Dasani in 2004.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-fairlife-milk

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds like "Greek Yogurt Meets Milk". Greek yogurt is basically concentrated regular yogurt- it takes four times as much milk to make it. Coca Cola says their special milk will have more protein without them adding protein. And sugar and lactose free. But twice the price.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/coca-col...fairlife-milk/

Coca-Cola will be emphasizing how Fairlife is different than traditional milk. Fairlife producers say the milk is cold-filtered to concentrate the protein and calcium while removing the fat and sugar. It doesn't have any lactose or added proteins.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/coca-...e-milk-2014-11

The milk is made on a sustainable dairy farm with "fully sustainable high-care processes with animals" and "has a proprietary milk filtering process," he said. "The test markets have been amazing, and we’ve created a joint venture with a bunch of dairy farmers who are innovative leaders in the dairy industry."

This is the beginning of a long-term investment in the dairy business for Coca-Cola.

Chester Copperpot

oh great so theyre going to take normal $#@!ed up store bought milk and monkey around with it more chemically... yeah that can only be nothing but good for consumers//.. $#@! that.. ill keep driving to pennsylvania every month to buy my raw milk from the farm

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    oh great so theyre going to take normal $#@!ed up store bought milk and monkey around with it more chemically... yeah that can only be nothing but good for consumers//.. $#@! that.. ill keep driving to pennsylvania every month to buy my raw milk from the farm
    You have reported yourself.

This appears to be the same "premium' line as their Gold Peak Tea.

I'm not interested in milk, because I just don't drink milk, but I will tell you that Gold Peak is just about the only store-bought drink I buy with regularity. They use cane sugar rather than corn syrup, only a couple of ingredients. I was as surprised as anybody to learn that an actualy good and healthy drink would be produced by Coca-Cola. Nevertheless, I drink the hell out of some Gold Peak Tea.

This milk thing seems a lot more creepy to me, and a little less 'natural' than their Gold Peak Tea.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    This appears to be the same "premium' line as their Gold Peak Tea.

I'm not interested in milk, because I just don't drink milk, but I will tell you that Gold Peak is just about the only store-bought drink I buy with regularity. They use cane sugar rather than corn syrup, only a couple of ingredients. I was as surprised as anybody to learn that an actualy good and healthy drink would be produced by Coca-Cola. Nevertheless, I drink the hell out of some Gold Peak Tea.

This milk thing seems a lot more creepy to me, and a little less 'natural' than their Gold Peak Tea.
    Blasphemy!

I could hook myself up to an IV for sweet tea I love it so much- but I do not care for Gold Peak, at all.

We have a local brand around here called ConTea that is much better. Chick Fil A, McAlisters, then ConTea. And yes, I choose where to eat based on the sweet tea they serve.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    Blasphemy!

I could hook myself up to an IV for sweet tea I love it so much- but I do not care for Gold Peak, at all.

We have a local brand around here called ConTea that is much better. Chick Fil A, McAlisters, then ConTea. And yes, I choose where to eat based on the sweet tea they serve.

Chick Fil A has kick ass sweet tea.

I don't know what's going on in that last photo...but it doesn't look appetizing.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    Blasphemy!

I LOVE Sweet Tea, and while brewed is always better, Gold Peak is the only bottled tea I will buy anymore. The only vague ingredient they have is 'caramel coloring.' And they use cane sugar. It's hard enough to find a drink anymore that doesn't use corn syrup, and those are mostly sodas that use other artificial ingredients and way too much sugar. It is way way better than the Pepsi-Cola version of the "all natural cane sugar" tea "PureLeaf."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    Yeah, that about sums it up. Meanwhile in Florida, a company who wants to truly label their skim milk product and not add synthetic vitamin A is being told they cannot do it. And yet, so many people do not believe this government protects the corporations, instead of the citizens--go figure.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I LOVE Sweet Tea, and while brewed is always better, Gold Peak is the only bottled tea I will buy anymore. The only vague ingredient they have is 'caramel coloring.' And they use cane sugar. It's hard enough to find a drink anymore that doesn't use corn syrup, and those are mostly sodas that use other artificial ingredients and way too much sugar. It is way way better than the Pepsi-Cola version of the "all natural cane sugar" tea "PureLeaf."
    I can't buy tea from a bottle. I've tried, it's just not the same. And PureLeaf is awful!

At least most places stopped serving that crap fountain Lipton tea. Nothing worse than asking at a drive through if they have sweet tea & them saying yes. Then taking a sip of that vile substance! I had to ask a follow up question "is it brewed or fountain?" LOL!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Milk cola?

Do they really think kola beans will make milk taste better...?

Yuk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Bovine lactate.

Baby cow food.

Yum Yum

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Bovine lactate.

Baby cow food.

Yum Yum
    Good to see ya Root!!! I figured we wouldn't hear from you until the snow melted.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Uhm, I must have missed where cocacola was going to name their milk skim milk and not add vitamin A.

Also, I'd wager that company in florida you refer to is one of those evil "corporations".

I was just pointing out the hypocrisy. The company in Florida is a small family dairy. Too bad I didn't take that wager.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The further from the cow the worse it is for you...

No amount of marketing can overcome common sense.

Coca-Cola will be emphasizing how Fairlife is different than traditional milk. Fairlife producers say the milk is cold-filtered to concentrate the protein and calcium while removing the fat and sugar. It doesn't have any lactose or added proteins.
    STOP TAKING FAT OUT OF FOOD! I don't want light, low fat, low sugar, low whatever. I want products as 'nature' intended them. What about the hormones though, are they concentrated as well or did they remove them ? Thats an interesting question I think.

I don't drink any milk.. I just use it in cooking, but still... This is messed up. Quit messing with things that are ok naturally.
    "I am a bird"

I actually like Greek yogurt. I'll eat the frell out of some Greek yogurt. I wouldn't drink this stuff if you paid me.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I don't know what's going on in that last photo...but it doesn't look appetizing.

I see it comes in chocolate. Yum.

Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 10:42 AM.

I just don't see myself drinking something called "Milka Cola". Oddly enough, I have no problem drinking "Naked on the bathroom Floor".

Probably lucky you didn't:
    http://www.corporationwiki.com/Florida/Grand-Ridge/ocheesee-creamery-llc-5780008.aspx
    You are completely missing the point. Even if it happens to be "incorporated" a small family farm is not a corporate conglomerate like ADM, Monsanto, Coca-Cola, et al. Some people prefer to get their chickens from a family farm in their county rather than Perdue. If their family farm so happens to be an S-Corp for tax purposes, that has no bearing on the distinction between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I just don't see myself drinking something called "Milka Cola". Oddly enough, I have no problem drinking "Naked on the bathroom Floor".
    LMAO! Although I wouldn't be caught dead drinking this stuff, I do have to observe that nobody is seriously calling it "Milka-Cola" except a bunch of tweeps on the twitterverse. But wow, if I didn't already reject it udderly, (sorry) that nickname would do it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LMAO! Although I wouldn't be caught dead drinking this stuff, I do have to observe that nobody is seriously calling it "Milka-Cola" except a bunch of tweeps on the twitterverse. But wow, if I didn't already reject it udderly, (sorry) that nickname would do it.
    It'll always be "Milka Cola" to me and I don't even Twitter.

You are completely missing the point. Even if it happens to be "incorporated" a small family farm is not a corporate conglomerate like ADM, Monsanto, Coca-Cola, et al. Some people prefer to get their chickens from a family farm in their county rather than Perdue. If their family farm so happens to be an S-Corp for tax purposes, that has no bearing on the distinction between them.
    Thank you! You explained it better than I. I owned my own business and the main reason I incorporated was to protect my personal assets..
    Last edited by donnay; 11-26-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: misspelled own

I saw no such distinction in the post I quoted, just same anti-capitalistic meme crap I'd expect to find on huffpo and the likes.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Thank you! You explained it better than I. I owed my own business and the main reason I incorporated was to protect my personal assets..
    Then you should know better. I have a corporation, a bunch of people on rpfs have corporations. words have meaning and it gets tiring hearing the anti-corporation meme spouted about here when its not the corporations that are the real problem.

I saw no such distinction in the post I quoted, just same anti-capitalistic meme crap I'd expect to find on huffpo and the likes.
    I gt that you don't see a difference. Most everybody else does. Don't blame the sighted for seeing stuff you can't.

Then you should know better. I have a corporation, a bunch of people on rpfs have corporations. words have meaning and it gets tiring hearing the anti-corporation meme spouted about here when its not the corporations that are the real problem.
    Okay specs, I should have said MEGA-Corporations. I am not anti-capitalism the MEGA-corporations are--they hate competition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast