Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The United States of Thanksgiving

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-21-2016 at 11:59 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yay, deviled eggs.

One of the few things you still can pretty much only find at home.

(When was the last time you saw them on a restaurant menu?)

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pennsylvania
    Glazed Bacon

Betty Groff, the home cook turned proprietor of Groff’s Farm Restaurant, once said that there were only two authentic American cuisines: Pennsylvania Dutch and Creole. Her brown-sugar-glazed bacon represents the former, and she occasionally served it as an hors d’oeuvre at her restaurant, which she started in her family’s 1756 Pennsylvania Dutch farmhouse in Mount Joy in the late 1950s. The restaurant became a place of pilgrimage for food lovers, among them Craig Claiborne, who wrote an article about it in The New York Times in 1965. This recipe, which Ms. Groff said “will amaze every guest,” serves six, but she noted that you can easily scale it up to serve 30, or possibly more. Florence Fabricant

Glazed Bacon

Glazed Bacon

40 minutes 6 appetizer servings
    Share link
    Ingredients

˝ pound thick-cut bacon slices (about 6 slices)
    ˝ cup light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons red wine

Preparation

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil; it should be large enough to hold the bacon in a single layer. Place bacon in pan and bake until lightly browned and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. While bacon cooks, mix remaining ingredients together.
    Drain bacon fat from pan. Brush the bacon strips on both sides with the brown sugar mixture. Return bacon to the oven and cook another 10 minutes or so, until glaze is bubbling and darkened.
    Remove bacon from the oven and transfer to a cutting board or platter lined with foil or parchment paper. Let cool about 15 minutes. Bacon should not be sticky to the touch. Cut each strip in thirds and arrange on a serving dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yay, deviled eggs.

I love 'em but don't feed them to your dog. I fed my dog a couple one year and he farted all through dinner. It was horrible. I think that was the last time I hosted Thanksgiving dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I love 'em but don't feed them to your dog. I fed my dog a couple one year and he farted all through dinner. It was horrible. I think that was the last time I hosted Thanksgiving dinner.
    Well, hell, I have the same reaction.

Doesn't mean I don't like 'em.

I just care about getting some pumpkin pie.

'
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    That sounds nice. Here's what I know we're having but there's always some weird stuff. I have a SIL who goes rouge and brings stuff like Spanakopita and tacos to the meal to keep it interesting.O_o

Ham (no one really cares for turkey but we have it out of tradition - it usually ends up as dog food)
    Store brand (or Butterball if my SIL doesn't cheap out) Turkey
    Turkey gravy
    Dressing
    deviled eggs
    creamed corn
    mashed potatoes
    greasy green beans
    squash and onions
    sweet potato pie
    pecan pie
    french coconut pie (probably not really French)
    homemade whipped cream
    yeast rolls from Sams Club
    Wine
    beer
    scotch
    bourbon
    margaritas
    I forgot to list deviled eggs. Making some as we speak. I usually make fruit salad but not this year. Your sil sounds cool. We do untraditional foods at Christmas.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 11-25-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yay, deviled eggs.

Not on a menu, but at a chinese buffet.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-21-2016 at 11:59 PM.

Stage one.

My deviled eggs aren't fancy but they taste good. Pies still in oven. Thats it for me today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	4645

Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	4646

Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	4647

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12