Thread: Restaurant owner blasts city fines over single-gender ads

Restaurant owner blasts city fines over single-gender ads

The owner of an Upper East Side restaurant who read in The Post that a downtown eatery was fined $5,000 fine just for placing an ad for “waitresses” is issuing a call to arms against the gender-based penalties.

“This is an outrage, and more restaurants need to share their stories so this nonsense is stopped,” Giuseppe Bruno wrote to The Post.
    “Someone needs to help these restaurants.”

His own included. Bruno’s Italian eatery, Sistina, was slammed with its own $5,000 fine after a staffer placed an ad on Craigslist for a “hostess.”
    In 2011, the Windsor, a Greenwich Village sports bar, was fined after a sting by the city Commission on Human Rights caught it trying to hire “waitresses” through Craigslist.

Gender-specific ads violate city civil-rights law.

Unlike the Windsor’s owners, Bruno says he’s going to fight what he describes as a “scam.”

“They want us to settle for $5,000,” Bruno told The Post on Thursday. “I’m not going to settle. I didn’t do anything wrong.”
    Sistina, on Second Avenue at East 81st Street, employs a staff of 21 that includes three women.

One of them, Lara Kineavy, 24, said she posted the “hostess” ad on July 28 without giving a second thought to gender.
    “I just wrote it as I would write any other ad,” she recalled.
    “I just typed, ‘Hostess/coat check needed. Reliable, personable, organized.’ Really no gender specified.”

Kineavy, who doubles as a hostess and Bruno’s assistant, said Sistina’s e-mail account then received two résumés — one from a man and one from a woman. Both turned out to be “testers” from the commission.

Kineavy says Sistina did not respond to either e-mail. But in its complaint against the restaurant, the commission claimed only one e-mail — the one containing the woman’s résumé — was opened.

E-mails aside, Bruno proposed a much simpler solution.

“We are human. It’s possible we made a mistake, but we got no warning,” he said.

State Sen. José Peralta (D-Queens) slammed the agency for targeting “unintentionally gendered language.”
    “Of the 53 discrimination settlements reported by the commission in 2014, 18 — or more than a third of all settlements — are for this sort of case,” Peralta said.

A commission spokeswoman, Bet*sey Herzog, said education is part of its mission but warnings are not.

The commission gives “thousands of presentations a year” to educate the public about the laws, but isn’t required to issue warnings before issuing fines, she said.
    http://nypost.com/2014/11/21/restaur...le-gender-ads/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't see the problem even if the ad was targeting one gender. A business should absolutely be allowed to hire what gender it prefers to fill a position. Some other examples would be a restaurant like Hooters seeking wait staff - hiring girls who "look" the part is what the business is built on. Or how about a gynecologist seeking nurses? Would it be wrong to force the office to consider hiring a man to help prep the patients? I know several male gynecologist, they are loved and trusted, but their staffs are exclusively female. For a good reason..

screw a bunch of govt thugs. Fight back

Oh $#@!. Hollywood's in trouble, they're almost always into hiring one specific gender or race.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Hooters Settles Suit By Men Denied Jobs

Published: October 1, 1997

Hooters has agreed to pay $3.75 million to settle a lawsuit filed by men who were denied jobs by the restaurant chain, which is known for its voluptuous and scantily clad female bartenders and servers.

The settlement allows Hooters to continue luring customers with a female staff of Hooters Girls. But the chain also agreed to create a few other support jobs, like bartenders and hosts, that must be filled without regard to sex.

Three men from the Chicago area sued Hooters after being denied employment at an Orland Park, Ill., restaurant. Each of them will get $19,100. Four men who filed a similar lawsuit in Maryland will receive $10,350 each.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Hooters Settles Suit By Men Denied Jobs

Which is $#@!ing bull$#@!.

WTF? We can hire strippers to pole dance based on their looks alone... but we can't hire a hostess with big tits to promote a restaurant?

GTFO
    Last edited by presence; 11-24-2014 at 04:27 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I work 5 blocks north of this place. If their cheapest meal wasnt $40 I'd say I'd go there tomorrow just to make a point, but... yeah...

That's a lot of money. And that's before the wine!

EDIT: Cheapest wine is $25. FOR A GLASS. I thought MY bar was expensive!

Here's hoping this publicity gets some people who can afford to eat there through the doors.
    Last edited by jonhowe; 11-24-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.