Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ferguson just got more complicated...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    I thought rep comments were a way of communicating with one user in particular without having to change/derail an ongoing discussion. That is what I attempted to do, as you were already in the process of derailing the discussion. If I had slashed your tires or firebombed your house, yeah, cowardly move. All I did was send you a text based message over the internet that has zero intrinsic value outside the words themselves (which you saw fit to bring up and then repost, further derailing the discussion). Maybe I've been misunderstanding the point of the rep system, and maybe my actions actually pushed pins into a voodoo doll of you somewhere that I was unaware of. If so, I apologize.
    Neg-repping people is an antagonistically counter-productive way to go about communicating with other users.

The PM subsystem is for communicating with other forum members "out of thread": http://www.ronpaulforums.com/private.php?do=newpm
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-24-2014 at 05:24 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Neg-repping people is an antagonistically counter-productive way to go about communicating with other users.

The PM subsystem is for communicating with other forum members "out of thread."
    Adding to this, intelligent counterpoints are always welcome to be discussed..

Best make sure they're actually intelligent though...

Uh, this case is much bigger than Mike Brown at this point. I don't understand the point in bringing up other cases of police injustice and saying, "But why didn't people get upset when this happened?!" Sure, they should have, but it didn't happen and generally, the public places low value on the life of black people. Here we have a community standing up to police injustice and expressing their frustrations, which the black community in particular knows very well, and there are people who want to play it down, make excuses, focus on "rioting and looting," push it aside as some "media created race thing." No, this is what the country needs more of. We need outrage and protests against police. We need to be vocal and make this an issue every chance we get. Yes, it is absolutely a race issue. I'm tired of people who think we live in some post-racial America and dismiss everything as "race baiting" because they're too afraid to admit that there's a big problem. Just because there are idiots like Al Sharpton around, it doesn't dismiss the real problems faced by minorities due to systemic and even latent racism in those apparently there to "serve and protect." It's bull$#@!. These people protesting in Ferguson are your allies.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    That's what a PM is for.
    Did I send a message? Was it private? Could you read it? WTF is the difference?? Is it just the vanity of the little green bars? If that's it, I'll give you a plus rep when I next can just to get you off my ass! Jesus this is becoming asinine.

EDIT: There. Done. Enjoy. See, everything is better now.

Peel off? Or you nuts? This is someone peeling off.
    ... are you trying to make my point for me? The car in the video here just didn't do it as well! And if I am actually using the term incorrectly, feel free to assume I meant "speed off in a reckless manner", which from any reasonable point of view, she did. However, as you point out, that is not worthy of the death penalty.

Anyone with half a brain could tell she was simply trying to get away and that the cops were trying to block her exit. Besides they didn't shoot why her car was moving towards them. Further the fact that she was shot after they had control of the situation is enough to negate such a piss poor misreading of the video. Most people don't know she was killed after she was stopped and the cops were able to go into her car and pull the baby out.
    I don't disagree with anything you say there. You're right that it's an outrage. You're wrong to think people will be outraged at this point. Sorry. It sucks, but (I'm pretty confident) it's true.

But hey, if a video showing the victim in a negative light is enough to "end most discussions for most people" then...
    If the store clerk had chased Mr Brown and shot him, that would be a fair analogy (and you can rest assured there'd be much less outrage). Instead, a cop who had no way of knowing if this was or was not the person accused of a crime was the shooter. Also, in Miriam Carey's case, she was considered to have a deadly weapon, her car. Brown had no weapon. Not saying I agree with these distinctions, but I accept them as real for others and have no interest in spitting into the wind.
    Last edited by jonhowe; 11-24-2014 at 05:41 PM.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

That's why it's featured on the left hand side of every post?

I give up. It's a $#@!ing green bar, people. I'm trying to express an opinion to another user privately, and we're getting upset over green bars. Awesome. Time well spent.

I let go of the law,
    I let go of economics,
    I let go of religion,

The PM subsystem is for communicating with other forum members "out of thread": http://www.ronpaulforums.com/private.php?do=newpm
    every once in a blue moon it just has to be done though. I think I've given out 5 negreps the entire time we've had a rep system. My recent one was to someone I actually like.

Did I send a message? Was it private? Could you read it? WTF is the difference?? Is it just the vanity of the little green bars? If that's it, I'll give you a plus rep when I next can just to get you off my ass! Jesus this is becoming asinine.

EDIT: There. Done. Enjoy. See, everything is better now.
    I honestly don't care. I made a comment about the neg rep to bring that part of the discussion out in the open. If you want to be "negative" about something I say then say it in the open.

... are you trying to make my point for me? The car in the video here just didn't do it as well! And if I am actually using the term incorrectly, feel free to assume I meant "speed off in a reckless manner", which from any reasonable point of view, she did. However, as you point out, that is not worthy of the death penalty.
    Except she didn't "speed off in a reckless manner" and you shouldn't try to monopolize what is "reasonable." She pulled off slow enough for the officers their to easily get out of the way.

I don't disagree with anything you say there. You're right that it's an outrage. You're wrong to think people will be outraged at this point. Sorry. It sucks, but (I'm pretty confident) it's true.
    I'm confident that it's true as well, but I have the insight to know why. People aren't outraged because they haven't been told that they should be outraged. They haven't been beat over the head by the 24/7 news cycle pumping the story that a frightened unarmed and harmless woman was shot in the back five times by police after they had gotten control of the situation. Now everyone that I actually explain what happened to gets upset by the story. I've had the same experience that Gunny mentioned in the other recent Fergusen thread. Most people who are genuinely upset about what happened with Mike Brown are also upset, when the know the facts about Miriam Carey. That's "true" whether you realize it or not. The Mike Brown narrative, like the Trayvon Martin narrative, painted the victims in a dishonestly positive light. Trayvon Martin was not some innocent child with Skittles and Mike Brown was not some "gentle giant." By the time the facts came out, the false narratives were implanted in people's minds. Had an honest narrative about Miriam Carey got out and been pushed over and over again, that she was a model citizen and a responsible single mom that got frightened and panicked seeing men pointing guns at her, and that she was murdered after the police had control of the situation, there would be outrage.

If the store clerk had chased Mr Brown and shot him, that would be a fair analogy (and you can rest assured there'd be much less outrage). Instead, a cop who had no way of knowing if this was or was not the person accused of a crime was the shooter. Also, in Miriam Carey's case, she was considered to have a deadly weapon, her car. Brown had no weapon. Not saying I agree with these distinctions, but I accept them as real for others and have no interest in spitting into the wind.
    You're missing the point. Some people see the Mike Brown video and are just as dismissive of him as you are of Miriam Carey. Also by the time Miriam Carey was shot her "deadly weapon" was no longer a thread. Further someone Mike Brown's size can kill another person without having a weapon.

This is officer Wilson's version of what happened with Mike Brown.

The strong arm robbery video shows Brown to be someone willing and able to commit violence as opposed to being a "gentle giant".
    Last edited by jmdrake; 11-24-2014 at 06:12 PM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I give it to Teh Collinz every time he uses: yourlogicalfallacyis.com

But, I'm an $#@! and I don't care.

I give up. It's a $#@!ing green bar, people. I'm trying to express an opinion to another user privately, and we're getting upset over green bars. Awesome. Time well spent.
    Okay. I'm going to take you at your word and assume it was an honest mistake. Answer me this. How would you expect to have a conversation with someone using the "rep" system, when after giving someone two or more reps in a row the system doesn't allow you to continue unless you "spread some rep around?"

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

It's featured on the left-hand side of every post so that users can "punish" posts & posters they don't like with neg-rep. That is its purpose.

Just like "Reply With Quote" is featured on the right-hand side of every post so that users can reply to a post with a quote.

Just like "Private Message" is featured on the pop-up menu you get when you click the username on a post so that you can send that user a private message.

IOW: It is there for what it is there for - and the rep button isn't there for sending private messages ...

You're the one getting pissy because you didn't understand that the rep system isn't merely for "expressing an opinion to another user privately." That's what PMs are for.

All I did was (neutrally) explain to you the difference between the two.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

It's featured on the left-hand side of every post so that users can "punish" posts & posters they don't like with neg-rep. That is its purpose.

Just like "Reply With Quote" is featured on the right-hand side of every post so that users can reply to a post with a quote.

Just like "Private Message" is featured on the pop-up menu you get when you click the username on a post so that you can send that user a private message.

IOW: It is there for what it is there for - and the rep button isn't there for sending private messages ...

You're the one getting pissy because you didn't understand that the rep system isn't merely for "expressing an opinion to another user privately." That's what PMs are for.

All I did was (neutrally) explain to you the difference between the two.
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 11-24-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I give it to Teh Collinz every time he uses: yourlogicalfallacyis.com But, I'm an $#@! and I don't care.
    Yeah, but you're not trying to "communicate privately" with him by doing that. You're just smacking him upside the metaphorical head for being an ass ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-24-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Clearly I'm doing this wrong, and have been for 7 years.

You guys carry on, I'll leave the thread alone now.

I let go of the law,
    I let go of economics,
    I let go of religion,

Ferguson is an excuse for protesters to get a free TV, and for the left to blame whitey for social problems. No one has looked into the evidence at all to find out who was actually at fault. If you do this, you will find that nearly all the facts line up against Michael Brown, and support Darren Wilson's account almost to the letter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pr1oE34bIM

The race hustlers should have waited for a different case when the facts were more justifiable of a riot. Statistics says that somewhere, somehow a black person is going to be killed by a white cop, they probably wouldn't even have to wait that long. But of course in that case, the courts would doubtlessly rule to their favor, and they wouldn't have any reason to riot, defeating the entire purpose of the exercise.

The sad thing is that justice will likely not be served in this case. The jury will probably convict officer Wilson over some trumped up minor charges under pressure from all the insane people threatening to riot. They'll riot anyway of course.
    Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 11-24-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    Ferguson is an excuse for protesters to get a free TV, and for the left to blame whitey for social problems. No one has looked into the evidence at all to find out who was actually at fault. If you do this, you will find that nearly all the facts line up against Michael Brown, and support Darren Wilson's account almost to the letter.

The race hustlers should have waited for a different case when the facts were more justifiable of a riot. Statistics says that somewhere, somehow a black person is going to be killed by a white cop, they probably wouldn't even have to wait that long. But of course in that case, the courts would doubtlessly rule to their favor, and they wouldn't have any reason to riot, defeating the entire purpose of the exercise.

The sad thing is that justice will likely not be served in this case. The jury will probably convict officer Wilson over some trumped up minor charges under pressure from all the insane people threatening to riot. They'll riot anyway of course.
    Stephan Moleneuax gave that analysis before this video came out.

That said I agree with your overall point that there are clearer cut cases of police brutality.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post

1) The rioters and looters in Ferguson are pretty much all from out of town, the locals generally protest without rioting.

2) You don't...seriously...believe that the courts do justice for the legitimate victims of police abuse, do you?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12