Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning Sit Down Stand Up Comedy

Sunday Morning Sit Down Stand Up Comedy

ABC had Obama on This Week taking softballs from Stephanopolous. He was sitting down, but he was pretty funny nonetheless. For example, he opened by saying his new executive amnesty was not legislative in nature; he was merely granting immunity to five million through a little 'prosecutorial discretion'. And all the liberal pundits on This Week and Meet the Press agreed with that, even as they said that the Republicans forced Obama to do it by refusing to add another few thousand lines to the already unfathomably complex federal code. Apparently legislating for a republic by executive (or is that monarchial?) fiat is less of a crime these days than failing to bury us in properly passed legislation. The contradictions went unnoticed.

Prosecutorial discretion. I thought that was generally exercised by, you know, prosecutors. And so did Texas Attorney General and governor-elect Abbott over on Fox. If he had been given all of Cruz's time Fox Sunday Morning would have made twice as much sense.

But that was not the end of Obama's sit down stand up comedy. He said voters would be happy to have Hillary Clinton as their president because the woman who tried to shove through Obamacare fifteen years before anyone ever even heard of Obama has that 'new car smell'. And she does, too--if you compare her to a Studebaker.

But Obama wasn't the funniest guy on the air. Benny Netanyahu did better talking about Iran's potential intercontinental ballistic missiles. Meet the Press opened with illiterate people talking about how wonderful Emperor Barry I was, and Fox opened with illiterate people talking about Ferguson, Missouri--a subject that generated much blather, but no news. But it did give Meet the Press a chance to provide the real comedy gem of the morning--our old friend Rudy 9iu11iani talking about how if black people didn't thuggishly kill each other so often, we wouldn't have to send white government thugs in to help them kill each other.

Face the Nation has been downright sober after all that hilarity. About the funniest thing so far is Rep. Gutierrez (D-IL) saying how wonderful it is that Obama is going after (as Obama put it) 'felons, not families' as if no felon ever got a woman pregnant. Which, you know, is pretty damned funny...
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-23-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Of course, everyone is talking about Bill Cosby, because we all know by now that the Sunday Morning political shows are just the place to talk about entertainers. This is the first time I remember the subject of Cosby being the unfunniest part of a conversation in my life. ABC, NBC and Fox all drove their nails; old Dr. Bill still has one foot hanging out there off his cross waiting for CBS's nail.

At least one or two of them acknowledged that the man did quite a lot to improve race relations in this nation--before his crucifixion.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-23-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks so much! I have missed your Sunday round-ups.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Thanks so much! I have missed your Sunday round-ups.
    Wish I could say it's my pleasure, but hip waders have never been the most comfortable attire...

Oh, and honorable mention in the comedy department goes to every Democratic panel member who all recited (almost in unison) that the new Obamnesty is all about 'lifting the middle class up' during this Moneyless Recovery.

Wanna buy a bridge? It was only ever used by an Alaska Senator to drive his family to church on Sunday!
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-23-2014 at 11:34 AM.

November 30, 2014

Well, ABC had Darren Wilson on--in person--for about twenty-seven seconds. Didn't give him much of a chance to contradict himself. Mostly, though, This Week concerned itself this week with how the Democratic Party is getting all the young voters except those Rand Paul is getting.

NBC talked for a whole hour about--you'll never guess in a million years--race. And they stuck to it, too. For instance, there was a dramatic graphic on the screen stating that black men were 21 times more likely to be shot by the police than a white man. But in spite of going on to talk a little (as little as possible) about black-on-black crime, it never did show us a graphic which informed us how much more likely a man is to be shot by a cop than anyone else.

About the time NBC got off the subject of race--and onto the subject of immigration, as though that were really a different topic, I switched to Fox. They made themselves look a little more relevant by talking about the Secretary of Defense position. No one seems to want it.

Then they talked about turkeys. As contrasted to ABC and NBC, which both closed out talking about Ray Rice.

If there is any edification to be had wasting this Sunday morning in front of the television, it'll have to come from Face the Nation. Holding your breath?

CBS topics of the day: Partisanship, race and Pope Francis. Nothing divisive there...

At the end of the race segment, one of their commentators wondered aloud why Obama doesn't highlight somebody's successful community-based policing efforts. Firstly, when has Obama talked favorably about non-centralized anything? Secondly, if you had a successful community-based policing thing going on, would you consider a visit by Obama and his seven platoons of heavily-armed bodyguards in any way helpful?

Meanwhile, the legislative action in Washington of the week most likely to have a substantial effect on your own life...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ankruptcy-Act)

...went completely unmentioned on all four networks. Surprise, surprise.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-30-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Pearl Harbor Day

This Week had a little comedy for us this morning. They started with a very enlightening cartoon allegedly to illuminate the failure of the Seal team to rescue the hostages al Qaeda was holding. It showed the Seals ventilating the al Qaeda guard who was pissing on the wall while in a three-rank firing line of the type last used abut two hundred years ago by redcoats with one-shot-then-reload flintlocks. That was cute.

The discussion of the Eric Garner incident was mainly funny for pointedly ignoring the fact that the person who took the very video they showed part of on their broadcast was indicted for taking that same footage. But there were other light moments, too. The only thing funnier than the Democratic Congresswoman saying that Congress is the solution to these problems was her starting to say that police should be held accountable and getting interrupted in mid-sentence by litrally everyone else on the panel. The Resident Redstate Reactionary got a good one in, though, when he argued that bodycams increase militarization of police by making officers feel more like robots. But the best part had come before the panel took the soundstage--in a very quotable moment, Mayor di Blasio said that, '...Giuliani has a fundamental misunderstanding of reality.'

Reading between the lines on the low gas prices spot was enlightening. The great neocon ally Saudi Arabia is the dominant partner in OPEC, and these low prices are hardest on American frackers and--and they put a special graphic on the screen to emphasize it--Putin's Russia.

Gotta go. I smell more comedy coming--Rush is on Fox.

Well, just goes to show. The only funny thing about Rush--other than the fact that he's still coming here for talking points, like the fact that Clinton can't put the asses in the seats and fill an auditorium--is that he wrote a children's book in which he features prominently as 'Rush Revere'.

No, the real comedy was, naturally, over on NBC, where the new host actually said that the police department of Washington, D.C., wherein Miriam Carey was executed, used to have a race problem twenty years ago but got over it.

But the Fox panel made up for Limbaugh. There's nothing so priceless as seeing RACE PROTESTS SHOULD THE FEDS GET INVOLVED? across the bottom of the screen and hearing Brit Hume do a Cosby and suggest politely that blacks should commit less crimes. Talk about deflection. Apparently 'should the feds get involved?' is supposed to be such a stupid no-brainer question that it doesn't deserve an answer any more. And that's Fox, people.

Well, NBC tried hard to provide the best comedy on Meet the Press with a whole expose with slick graphics alerting us to the shocking news that members of Congress are much wealthier than the average American. But they reckoned not on good ol' George Will.

'The English language is not Hillary Clinton's close friend.'--George Will

For once we get some Sunday morning comedy from someone who's being intentionally funny.

Meanwhile, I have a question. How did Greg Abbott get elected to an office which heretofore has been reserved by the people of Texas for the exclusive occupancy of the biggest freaking idiots the world has ever seen on the U.S. political stage? He's too damned smart to be governor of Texas.

Fox just showed some RCP pre-primary polling. Guess Who Must Not Be Named?

And Mike Wallace takes the lead in the race to win Stupidest Comment of the Week prize. Did you know that Common Core is not a curriculum, it's merely a set of standards of what children must know at the end of the year? The boy could use a dictionary...
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-07-2014 at 09:59 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Face the Nation gets the best marks this week for Message Control. They managed the tricky feat of spending an hour ostensibly talking race without even once saying anything at all.

How is it possible that we have a black president yet blacks feel things are getting worse? Well, things have gotten so much better that they're probably just shocked that everything hasn't come up unicorns and rainbows...

And the fact that Obama is a more-than-half-white Uncle Tom who is all too happy to oppress the 99% for the benefit of the one percent--especially now that he's a one percenter himself--could have nothing to do with it.

Gotta go. CBS finally got off of race for something even more earth-shattering--the British Royal Family!! OMG!!!1!!
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-07-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Two too many to's and not enough too's too

TY so much. It's much more entertaining reading your funny summaries than watching that dreck. I don't know how you do it.

Fox just showed some RCP pre-primary polling. Guess Who Must Not Be Named?
    There they go again...
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

I salute you for torturing yourself in such a brutal fashion acptulsa.
    "The Patriarch"

Indeed, there they go again.

December 14

This Week is rather short on comedy this morning. Their coverage of Boehner's cromnibus problems went by so fast it's a good thing ears don't blink. Laura Ingraham revealed that the GOP establishment learned from 2008--this round, there will be one establishment candidate and great hopes that all the actual conservatives split the actual conservative vote.

They excerpted a Babwa Wawa special to be on tonight, playing part of an interview with David Koch. It had funny moments. She led off asking him if he thought it right that the new cromnibus spending limits meant one person could have so much influence. Can't say I've ever seen the CEO of Boeing, G.E. or B.P. dragged in front of the cameras and asked that--between their commercials. It was funny when Koch called himself a libertarian, and even funnier when she asked if some of the candidates he supports a long way from that, and he said, 'That's their problem.' He's a libertarian, but if he and his brother give billions to neocons that's the neocons' problem? Nice to know we're getting his money's worth?

But the best part was watching his nervous winking twitch and listening to her speech impediment.

Veteran worship underway now--and, oddly, advertising for a PBS show. About the only thing I learned is the lamestream media is obviously not going to discredit themselves by refusing to name Rand Paul at all (though I didn't hear his name on This Week this week--but he's obviously He Who Must Not Be Named Frontrunner.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-15-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Black comedy on Meet the Press--a former vice president trying to look dignified while discussing rectal feeding.

No, really. Dick Cheney is defending torture--mostly through saying their underlings approved it. If he's too frightening for you at this early hour, Fox is covering the same subject. And while "liberal" NBC is letting Darth Cheney spin it unmolested, Fox is offering both pro (Karl Rove) and con (Sen Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I.). It's yielding more of interest--Rove just accused Dubya of lying about what he knew when.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-14-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Deadly Dick strikes again!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Deadly Dick strikes again!
    Scowling and growling and also calling Dubya a liar about how much he knew when. He just said transparency is 'irresponsible' because it makes it harder to hire agents that will violate law and morality on command.

There's still a little difference between NBC and Fox. One asked Ron White (D-OR) if the redacted parts should have been redacted. The other is about to ask their panel if any part of it at all should have been released.

Juan Williams just said on Fox that torture is '...a threat to democracy.' What democracy, Juan? Meanwhile, Meet the Press is once again trying to convince us that whites have nothing to fear from the New Police State because this loaded gun is pointed directly at blacks. Maybe if they repeat it often enough...

NBC moved on to a member of the CFR saying the CIA is killing people with drones because they're now afraid to torture them. On Fox, meanwhile, Juan Williams is talking about Congress in the control of one party and the White House occupied by the other one. Um, Juan, the inauguration tends not to happen until January. Which, if you'll count your fingers and toes, means the Senate is still mostly Democrat. Would it help you if I took my shoes off so you can count my toes too? Back on Meet the Press, we discover that Ted Cruz shut down the government single-handed a couple of years ago. Wow. They must really want to run against the loser in 2016, because they've done everything but fit Cruz with a red cape and make him wear his underwear outside his pants.

Now that I think about it, this is a historic day. When $#@! Cheney said that Dubya lied, I believed him. I don't recall believing one thing he ever said before.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-14-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Face the Nation invited McCain on. If he's saying something about torture, you can't tell it by listening. 'I think there's a counter-factual report...' One more time in English, please, John?

Oops--you missed it. He didn't get five minutes. Now we get Saxby Chambliss. He's deflecting the question right now by praising McCain. There were 766 'actionable' memos that came out while torture was going on, and some of those more or less had to be about information gotten during torture sessions (not that we know if this alleged information would have come out without it), and Chambliss considers this 'incontrovertible proof'. No wonder he pursued a career in politics rather than science.

Oh, boy. Bob Scheiffer just said that after they're done blathering about torture, they will once again blather again and some more about race in America. I guess they want to find out for sure if torture works or not by torturing us.

Lame Duck Mike Rogers thinks its terrible that we're ruining the lives of agents who did torture when we already had this discussion and decided against torture. Yet federally funded local cops are ruining our lives with--not, as in these agents, without--criminal records and prison time. And torturing us to boot. Is this conversation decided and done and ancient history really?

My God--is Face the Nation really criticizing Dianne Feinstein for her recent CIAsucker tweetstorm? How very sad it is when a prog gets so senile that even CBS decides they'd rather defend their own credibility than her...

But they're making it up to progs now. They're showing Cruz making an ass of himself talking about Lucy Van Pelt and Charlie Brown on the Senate floor.

Once again CBS is lightest on comedy this week--they really have their work cut out for them if they're to be as silly as NBC and Fox. But they're trying, they really are. They just said Elizabeth Warren is an 'authentic person'. Yes, folks, this Fed banksteress is just like the girl next door...
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-14-2014 at 11:25 AM.

12-21

This Week didn't start out too strong with the comedy this morning. There was plenty of opportunity. They started off with seven minutes on a pair of cops in Brooklyn, without once mentioning that it had probably been seventeen years or more since the NYPD was involved in a shooting wherein no innocent bystanders were shot. They did better with the Sony story, however. A panelist said--with a straight face--that we need to 'help Sony heal and move past this.' And which of of the stages of grief is Sony in?

But they're warming up. They said Marco Rubio was coming in to discuss his 'feud with Rand Paul'; all he had to say about Paul was that this ending of the Cuba embargo is 'The Obama-Paul Policy'. Now we're hearing all about how Jeb Bush is the Official Frontrunner and Billy Kristol is assuring us the GOP will nominate a hawk. Feel reassured?

George Stephanopolous actually said 'Calvin Coolidge' aloud on television. I guess whoever dreamed up the trivia question, 'Who was the last sitting president to visit Cuba?' didn't know that Silent Cal is the original He Who Must Not Be Named.

And This Week talks about the 1914 Christmas Truce, and how it included a peaceful football game in the middle of a war. Of course, they're talking about that football game actually played with the feet--soccer. No mention of how very long it has been since Americans had a nice, bloody football war in the middle of peace. I guess the last time that happened was 2001. Been a while.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-21-2014 at 09:00 AM.

So far Meet the Press is a rerun--of this week's This Week. Well, okay, it isn't really, but I haven't heard anything very different so far. Open with dead cops in Brooklyn, move on to Sony. They had a Sony lawyer on to say that it wasn't a Sony cyber security problem, it was a national security problem, and reminded us all that Sony owns no U.S. theaters. Funny thing. I could have sworn the only thing other than vague threats we've seen so far was Sony getting hacked...

Sara Fagen is now calling for Congress to 'do something' because we 'can't have American businesses bullied...' Um, Ms. Fagen, when did Sony become American? I could have sworn that company was created on and is still headquartered on some Pacific island group with a name that starts with 'J'? Did we annex those the way we did the Hawaiian Islands? Won't the Hirohito family be surprised?

Michael Cherthoff thinks we '...cannot let this goes unanswered.' He seems to be speaking from the gut too, so I guess we should really listen to him. The final word? We need moar laws! I guess certain truths cut no ice with Meet the Press:

Quote Originally Posted by Maury Klein
    'What does the experience of the railroads tell us about the American way of competition and regulation? Obviously it suggests that the usual time lag between policy and reality has grown steadily worse over the years. Regulatory policy, like old generals, seems doomed always to fight the last war, partly because in our system it takes so long to recognize new problems and then to build a concensus for change. At bottom regulation involves a quest for some viable equation reconciling economic efficiency, social justice, and political acceptability. The more complex regulatory mechanisms become, the more difficult it is to adjust them or get rid of them when necessary, let alone tie them to these objectives.

'Since the pace of change wrought by new technology continues to gain speed, the gap between policy and reality widens daily despite all efforts to close it. In the modern world policy cannot possibly keep pace with change of all kinds.'
    Next up, Marco Rubio. But it isn't really a rerun of This Week. Can't be. NBC hasn't mentioned Rand Paul yet, nor have they used the word 'feud' yet.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-21-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    But they're warming up. They said Marco Rubio was coming in to discuss his 'feud with Rand Paul'; all he had to say about Paul was that this ending of the Cuba embargo is 'The Obama-Paul Policy'.
    If that is all he said, then it tell me that Randal's counterpunch hit its mark --especially his comments about being rude/insulting to a fellow GOP teammate. And I got the feeling he surprised the neocons by flipping the script on them with the isolationism hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    If that is all he said, then it tell me that Randal's counterpunch hit its mark --especially his comments about being rude/insulting to a fellow GOP teammate. And I got the feeling he surprised the neocons by flipping the script on them with the isolationism hypocrisy.
    'What was working with the old policy?'

'I think that's not the question.'--Marco Rubio

Marco would have '...actively and vibrantly interacted with pro-democracy activists in Cuba'. He probably would have gotten them shot, too.

Fox Sunday Morning, meanwhile, is running a commercial--well, more of an infomercial--for Jeb Bush. Is anyone surprised? At least Judy Woodruff is refusing to call him the frontrunner. Liz Cheney was trying to make us delusional enough to think Bush III can actually excite the party's conservative base.

'Cuba is a museum of two failures--the failure of communism and the failure of our own embargo.'--George Will

Juan Williams doesn't want to 'play footsies' with Fidel Castro. NBC, for all it's efforts to paint anyone and everyone it comes across of racism, just called liberal whites 'the elite of the Democratic Party.' We seem to be seeing some true colors seeping out around the masks of the liberals.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-21-2014 at 09:55 AM.

I think I'm having deja vu--I just saw a piece on a couple of cops in Bed-Stuy and now I'm looking at Marco Rubio. But he's talking about North Korea, not Cuba, so this must be Faze the Nation. He's no more of an expert on one country than the other--obviously. But he's sure playing up this reportedly stupid Sony so-called comedy as the great challenge to free speech of the age.

Now they're discussing Cuba. And Rand Paul comes up. Years of talking about how wonderful bipartisan efforts are and decrying that they don't happen often enough has culminated in this: Rand Paul found something to halfway agree with Obama about and the demonization is flowing thick and fast.

Then comes Graham, who as a senator from the Carolinas is obviously an expert on the NYPD. Did he say he blames only the shooter or 'the $#@!ter'? Hacking a Japanese company's emails is an act of terrorism in Graham's world and not going to war with them is a huge boon to Iran. Oh, and he almost said there will be an ambassador to Cuba only over his dead body--and I almost got my hopes up, too. I've heard worse ideas.

The consensus seems to be that we could squash North Korea like a bug, and no one should even question if we have a reason or a right to do so in defense of a Japanese corporation. Instead, the only question is should we expose all our latest secret cyber-weapons. We could squish them like a bug, but we had better not because then the whole world would know our real shoe size.

'Republicans are going to rally around... a governor. After complaining about someone who ran for president after only spending a year in the Senate they're not going to do the same thing.'--John Dickerson

I believe that's the first time I've ever seen Dickerson give Republican voters the slightest bit of credit for consistency and lack of hypocrisy...

The Message of the Day is the laughable assertion that somehow Mayor DiBlase somehow enabled or encouraged Ismaaiyl Brinsley to shoot a couple of his cops by saying the incredibly obvious--that people of color tend to live longer if they successfully avoid the police. So put that in your pipe and see if smoking it makes you high enough to believe it.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-21-2014 at 11:44 AM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds like it's time for another Sunday morning of neo-Trots on parade!

God bless ya, acptulsa! I don't know how you do it. I'd have to be drunk.
    --Albert J. Nock

28 December

This Week, obviously taking pride in the fact that they're here to tell us what to think about and what to think about it, informed us this morning what to think about in 2015. The list includes race, not justice, soccer, not football, and not our internal problems but little African children with ebola.

Meet the Press opened with breaking news--another Asian airliner is missing--then spent fifteen minutes straddling the fence between NBC's alleged concern about racism and NBC's love of cops. This led to all kinds of mealy-mouthed abuses of the English language like '...things will be much more changed moving forward.'

Not being allowed to challenge politicians or CEOs to say something, rather than blathering much and saying nothing, Meet the Press is now letting Chuck Todd cross examine a few comedians and comedy writers. 'Are you the reason no one believes anything politicians say?' 'What? People feel more disenfranchised than ever? Time to talk about Bill Cosby.'

But the comedians spoke too intelligently about politics to be funny. The comedy was over on Fox where the political commentators were trying to talk football.

Faze the Nation had 'Sully' Sullenberger on to talk about flying Airbus airliners and discuss why Airbus products are falling out of the sky left and right. I think we can assume the usual Boeing commercial will be airing in a few minutes...

Meanwhile, the police commissioner of New York City is talking nice about his boss, Mayor DiBlasé. Not 9iu11iani, though. He's slamming the guy--if you consider 'police will hate him' to be a slam, not a compliment.

There's such a thing as a United States Ebola Response Coordinator. I guess we should call him USERC, though 'czar' is actually easier to pronounce. Mostly, he seems to be there to coordinate responses to the press' questions. Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the more socialist we get, the more czars we get? Can we deport them all to Yekaterinburg yet?

One more round of self congratulation as Faze the Nation nearly achieves retirement age led to a funny line from Bob Schieffer--'I believe it will be around another sixty years because you cannot have the kind of democracy we have unless the people have access to news gathered independently that people can compare to the government's version of events.' Sounds less like a springboard to another sixty years and more like the show's epitaph...
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-28-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    This Week, obviously taking pride in the fact that they're here to tell us what to think about and what to think about it, informed us this morning what to think about in 2015. The list includes race, not justice, soccer, not football, and not our internal problems but little African children with ebola.

Meet the Press opened with breaking news--another Asian airliner is missing--then spent fifteen minutes straddling the fence between NBC's alleged concern about racism and NBC's love of cops. This led to all kinds of mealy-mouthed abuses of the English language like '...things will be much more changed moving forward.'
    It sounds like Fire 11 joined NBC.
    "The Patriarch"

4 January

This Week this week: Ten minutes on a missing airliner and half an hour gossiping about Republicans who might run for president--except the one named Paul. Half an hour of talk about how they're going to split the conservative vote and shove a middle-of-the-roader in. Lots of talk about Peter King like he's a kingmaker--which I doubt, but I bet he could kill a candidacy fast enough, with just one endorsement. Five minutes seems to have been enough to say everything nice there is to say about Mario Cuomo. And now an explanation of how it came to be that we declared victory in Afghanistan and left, but forgot 10,500 servicepeople. Finally, they point a camera and a microphone at a serviceman who's still active and can still face a court martial, and cameras but not microphones at homeless vets. The year is new, but This Week might as well have been a rerun.

Meet the Press is roasting Rep. Scalise (a Republican, of course) for speaking to an alleged white supremacy group a dozen years ago, while Fox is talking about what an exciting thing the new Congress will be. Wallace wants guarantees they won't shut down the Department of Homeland Security, like this nation wasn't better off before it was created... NBC stopped trashing Scalise long enough for Sen. Barrasso to promise an Obamacare repeal, but they went back to trashing Scalise pretty darned quick after that. Huckabee quit Fox; I guess Murdoch pays you more for thinking of running for president than for blathering on his station. We seem to have a ringer to try to take Iowa from Rand Paul, and if rumors from Mormon country amount to anything, a New Hampshire neighbor too.

Lt. Gen. Daniel Bolger is on NBC saying we lost both Iraq and Afghanistan; the title of the piece is War Without End. Fox has no such angst to explore concerning imperialism. By the time a new president is inaugurated in two years, people are going to be so sick of that election. Now NBC is using feminism as an excuse to pretend Washington, D.C. is the whole damned country--or, at least, the only part interesting enough to talk about. And while Meet the Press avows that only Washington matters, Fox insists that nothing but nothing is more important than partisanship--except the DHS, of course...

And despite the best efforts of the 113th Congress, when NBC set out to find a silly new law to make fun of, they turned to a state law. It's now illegal in New York to take a selfie with a lion, tiger or other big cat. This won't affect New Jersey, of course, but any of you Detroit or Cincinnati fans who like to catch your team on the road playing the Bills should probably keep that in mind.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 01-04-2015 at 10:14 AM.

Whether you consider it funny or not, Faze the Nation takes the prize for irony this week.

'Barack Obama says a lot of things that are divisive.'--Newt Gingrich

After blathering about race and playing tapes of MLK talking to LBJ, we get a Great White Senator named Coons who's just in from Liberia where he went to straighten out the mess the locals made of this ebola thing. The irony is getting thicker.

It looks like Obama Transparency is rising to a new level--when legislation appears in support of military action against certain new middle eastern militias, Obama will be counting on a bipartisan effort to squelch debate. Graham and McCain are likely to figure prominently, to no one's surprise.

Bob Scheiffer just made a particular point of saying that the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is a major Republican donor while attempting to explain how Obama reopened something resembling relations with Cuba, over Republican objections, and to the Chamber's pleasure over potential new markets. Say what? This bipartisanship is not bipartisanship--move along, nothing to see...

The panel is enriching the irony. They're calling for Washington to assist in community policing initiatives. Anyone up for going to a divorce lawyer for marriage counseling? And if you wanted to make the point that there was lots of new blood and energy in the race for the 2016 GOP nomination, would the first three names out of your mouth be Bush, Romney and Huckabee?

*yawn* Think I'll go back to bed.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 01-04-2015 at 11:24 PM.

thank you acptulsa.

you have saved me from watching this crap.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast