Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is Silicone and is it Toxic?

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Pretty similar here as well. Didn't see your post before I posted.

The only things I use plastic containers for are dry goods, to prevent bugs--and Ziploc for freezer items.
    What do you put leftovers in? I use Tupperware for everything.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Abstract

Silicone elastomers used to make medical implants and prostheses are generally believed to be biologically inert. However, we have seen two patients who showed severe, apparently immune- mediated, reactions to ventriculoperitoneal (VP) shunts.
    We used an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay in which Silastic tubing served as the solid-phase antigen to test serum from the two patients, five other VP shunt patients without inflammatory reactions, and nine healthy adults. IgG binding to Silastic tubing was consistently higher in the two patients than in the healthy or patient controls. The IgG seemed to be binding specifically, since IgG Fab fragments also bound to the tubing, and preincubation of serum with Silastic or silylated proteins removed most of the activity.
    These findings show that specific immune reactivity to elastomers of polydimethylsiloxane can develop in human beings.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...710-P/abstract

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    What do you put leftovers in? I use Tupperware for everything.
    wide mouth mason jars via stainless canning funnel... every night after dinner (its my job)

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

So... my personal outlook on silicone in the kitchen...

Silicone spatula used at room temperature... not used with oily or alcoholic substances; probably just fine.

Silicone baking at 350-450... not in my kitchen
    Silicone and oily foods... not in my kitchen
    Silicone and alcohols... not in my kitchen
    Silicone for storage... not in my kitchen

Silicone as bakeware has been around less than a decade. THERE ARE NO long term health studies. I'll let other people be guinea pigs.

I cook my eggs in cast iron.
    I brew my coffee in stainless.
    I bake dinner on pyrex.
    I eat off stoneware.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    So... my personal outlook on silicone in the kitchen...

Silicone spatula used at room temperature... not used with oily or alcoholic substances; probably just fine.

Silicone baking at 350-450... not in my kitchen
    Silicone and oily foods... not in my kitchen
    Silicone and alcohols... not in my kitchen
    Silicone for storage... not in my kitchen

Silicone as bakeware has been around less than a decade. THERE ARE NO long term health studies. I'll let other people be guinea pigs.

I cook my eggs in cast iron.
    I brew my coffee in stainless.
    I bake dinner on pyrex.
    I eat off stoneware.
    I would tend to agree. Just like the Teflon pans they said were safe to use.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Who remembers Bakelite?

They are collector's items now, but I doubt I'd use any to cook with.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I would tend to agree. Just like the Teflon pans they said were safe to use.
    My husband still has a Teflon pan, he loves it. It's a cheap one and it stinks when it gets hot. I hate that damn pan. I would make it disappear but he'd just go out and buy another one. I cook in cast iron, stainless steel and I have a nice set of Calphalon but I prefer the cast iron, it conducts heat the best. They say you're not suppose to use them on my stove (glass top) but I do with no problem.

My husband still has a Teflon pan, he loves it. It's a cheap one and it stinks when it gets hot. I hate that damn pan. I would make it disappear but he'd just go out and buy another one. I cook in cast iron, stainless steel and I have a nice set of Calphalon but I prefer the cast iron, it conducts heat the best. They say you're not suppose to use them on my stove (glass top) but I do with no problem.
    Hopefully you have no pet birds in the house--the fumes will kill em' deader than a hammer. When I first got married, as a wedding gift, I got this whole set of Teflon pots and pans. I had a Cockatiel that died within a month--I couldn't understand why, he was so healthy so I got another one...He also dropped dead on me...I though I just had bad luck with Cockateils. Hindsight 20/20--not to mention, the damage it did to me and my family.

I would let him read this information: http://www.wisegeek.org/is-teflon-dangerous.htm
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I have a nice set of Calphalon
    You realize that Calphalon is flouride polymer coated anodized aluminum, yes?

aka polytetraflouroethylene
    aka ptfe
    aka teflon

Calphalon Cookware Fluor polymer Coating | Orioncoat.com

keyword: orion fluor calphalon

The best known brand name of PTFE-based formulas is Teflon by DuPont Co.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene

Infused Anodization is a process by which Calphalon places polymers of nonstick between the pores of the cooking, and exterior surface. The result being a semi-nonstick surface which has amazing heat resistance, and is also resistant to scratch. It is possible to use metal utensils on Calphalon One, Infused Anodized without worrying about damaging the cooking surface.
    http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_calphalon

Calphalon is essentially an aluminum pan coated with the same gritty substance as "aluminum oxide sandpaper". Then smoothed/filled between the grains of aluminum oxide with PTFE.
    Last edited by presence; 11-23-2014 at 09:20 AM.

I would let him read this information: http://www.wisegeek.org/is-teflon-dangerous.htm
    keyword polymer fume fever

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8272977

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

aka ptfe
    aka teflon

Damn presence, I missed that. Thank God I do not own any.

Hopefully you have no pet birds in the house--the fumes will kill em' deader than a hammer. When I first got married, as a wedding gift, I got this whole set of Teflon pots and pans. I had a Cockatiel that died within a month--I couldn't understand why, he was so healthy so I got another one...He also dropped dead on me...I though I just had bad luck with Cockateils. Hindsight 20/20--not to mention, the damage it did to me and my family.

I've told him, he'll use them until the coating is coming off in his food. Luckily, he only uses it to cook for himself. I knew about the birds. My sister in law has a parrot, shes's the one who got me off teflon.

aka ptfe
    aka teflon

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_calphalon

Calphalon is essentially an aluminum pan coated with the same gritty substance as "aluminum oxide sandpaper". Then smoothed/filled between the grains of aluminum oxide with PTFE.
    No.

Damn presence, I missed that.

Somehow, I suspect that was their goal my friend.

Somehow, I suspect that was their goal my friend.
    Of course it is. SMDH. I owe you a rep!

I've got these:

No coatings at all. Just stainless. I have used them daily for 7 years and apart from some discoloration on the bottom they still look as-new. Ok the initial expense is a bit high (some 700$ for what's on the picture) but they will last a lifetime provided you don't have to club burglars with your saute-pan or use them for something else they weren't made for. I deglaze them all the time and the bottoms are still flat, good quality stuff.

If you calculate what these coated pans cost and how long they last.... Well I'm pretty sure it's even cheaper to buy good stainless.

Of course there is also enameled cast iron, cast iron or stoneware pans which are just as good when viewed from a health perspective and or lifespan/price. Stainless is a bit more foolproof (these pans have layers of SS and Aluminium but the aluminum is folded inside for heat transfer) since you can use metal utensils... I love them.
    "I am a bird"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12