Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Man Shoots and Kills Driver Who Mistakenly Pulled Into His Driveway; No Jail

Quote Originally Posted by libertarianinternational View Post
    If your life and the lives of your family, your wife, your kids were at risk, you wouldn't take chances either.
    "Officer safety"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Out here in the sticks a stranger has a good chance of being drawn on if not shot at for pulling into a driveway where they don't belong.

In town folks are more forgiving though.......
    Well your sticks are different than my sticks. I used to live in the sticks in rural Alabama so far out that my ex wife used to say "That's where people who live in the country want to go to get away from it all." Nobody out there would do anything like that. And people there have super long driveways. Hell, once I took a wrong turn on what I thought was a short cut road that dead ended at the base of a mountain. Then I got stuck. The owner, who I didn't know, happened by on his 4 wheeler and gave me a ride back out. He had a shot gun but he never threatened me or even made me feel bad for my dumb mistake. And he was white and I'm black.

I differentiate between environments and circumstances, deer season is coming up soon, my neighbors and I have talked and we know who's supposed to be here and who isn't.

There are folks out here in the hollars who cook shine, grow dope or make meth and you can rest assured they'll shoot at a strange vehicle, it's been that way since before prohibition...

Personally I'm proud to live in such an inhospitable area, if the bugs-n-critters don't keep interlopers out then the inbreds will.......
    Oh, and my story happened before there was any meth epidemic so perhaps that's the difference. And I never knew about any moonshiners or dope growers. They were probably out there somewhere I suppose. Hunters coming on your property without permission was a constant problem though.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 11-23-2014 at 06:13 AM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Sometimes people make a wrong turn. They don't deserve to be shot for it.

Folks who feel compelled to draw a weapon because someone whom they do not know shows up on their property are cowards. Intelligent people do indeed assess the situation, and keeping means of protection handy is reasonable, but pointing a weapon at someone who's done nothing more threatening than pull into the wrong driveway is sociopathic.
    I get the feeling you're trying to paint me personally as one who routinely points weapons at strangers or perhaps actually shoots at them, is this the case?

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Well your sticks are different than my sticks. I used to live in the sticks in rural Alabama so far out that my ex wife used to say "That's where people who live in the country want to go to get away from it all." Nobody out there would do anything like that. And people there have super long driveways. Hell, once I took a wrong turn on what I thought was a short cut road that dead ended at the base of a mountain. Then I got stuck. The owner, who I didn't know, happened by on his 4 wheeler and gave me a ride back out. He had a shot gun but he never threatened me or even made me feel bad for my dumb mistake. And he was white and I'm black.
    This is normal behavior here too barring extenuating circumstances....

I get the feeling you're trying to paint me personally as one who routinely points weapons at strangers or perhaps actually shoots at them, is this the case?
    Not really. It could have been construed from your post I initially responded to that you may, but I didn't think so. I did get the sense that you sympathize it, however.

Not really. It could have been construed from your post I initially responded to that you may, but I didn't think so. I did get the sense that you sympathize it, however.
    I'd not cast my ballot to convict a local who shot an interloper were I one of the 12 sitting in judgement...

If that's sympathetic then so be it.

Then again I'd probably not help dispose of the evidence either...

I'd not cast my ballot to convict a local who shot an interloper were I one of the 12 sitting in judgement...

If that's sympathetic then so be it.

Then again I'd probably not help dispose of the evidence either...
    To be clear, you would say that this Georgia man who shot the guy through the windshield is NOT guilty of having committed murder?

Aren't you always griping about cop shootings?

To be clear, you would say that this Georgia man who shot the guy through the windshield is NOT guilty of having committed murder?

Aren't you always griping about cop shootings?
    I am NOT saying anything about some dude in Ga.!

How did you deduce that from my posts?

I am NOT saying anything about some dude in Ga.!

How did you deduce that from my posts?
    Pretty simply, actually:

Georgia man shoots and kills person for pulling into driveway.

You state that you would not vote to convict of murder someone who shoots someone for pulling into their driveway.

The logical conclusion is that you would consider the Georgia man NOT guilty of having committed murder.

Pretty simply, actually:

Georgia man shoots and kills person for pulling into driveway.

You state that you would not vote to convict of murder someone who shoots someone for pulling into their driveway.

The logical conclusion is that you would consider the Georgia man NOT guilty of having committed murder.
    I am speaking specifically about life in the Ozarks and have been very clear that I'm discussing local behavior.

I suppose I am at fault for not predicating my posts with the fact that I live in the Ozarks..

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am speaking specifically about life in the Ozarks and have been very clear that I'm discussing local behavior.

I suppose I am at fault for not predicating my posts with the fact that I live in the Ozarks..
    I'm not sure I understand the significance of geography?

I'm confused...?

It's good to know that cops aren't the only folks who overreact to the slightest perceived threat.

Last weekend I was traipsing around my land when I encountered a man walking with a shotgun. I cautiously called out to him from a distance, then engaged him in friendly conversation and asked him what he was doing on my land as I approached. Turns out, the former property owner had given him permission to hunt the area, and as I haven't occupied the property yet he just continued hunting it. He asked if I minded him continuing to do so, and I told him I didn't, so long as he let me know when he was going to be there.

As a rule, I don't tremble in fear and whip out a weapon every time I encounter other people.
    In my experience, the people who whip out a weapon every time they see a person are usually the low-class ones who live out in the country because they had nowhere else to go and have very modest dwellings. The ones living at the end of a long driveway are usually quite wealthy and never actually get that kind of company. I'm not sure what would happen if they did, but I suppose I could understand bringing a gun out "just in case." Even in the country, though, there's usually a public road of some kind, albeit a dirt one. The poor people live closer to the road and the wealthier ones live at the end of a long driveway. I'm sure they would suspect a strange visitor, but that usually doesn't happen. The ones who would pull out a gun for every car that comes in their driveway when their house is right by the road are idiots.

It's not really a case of being "forgiving" or not. People who live in the city are less trigger-happy for a darn good reason. In the country, it's just as retarded for someone who lives right by the road to do such a thing without identifying the person and getting a response from them, but it happens more often because many people who live in places where that has a chance of happening are usually low-lives to begin with.
    Last edited by PaulConventionWV; 11-23-2014 at 07:09 AM.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

I'm not sure I understand the significance of geography?

I'm confused...?
    I differentiate between environments and circumstances,
    I'm unable to comment on local behavior in Ga.due to not being a local.

The headline
    Georgia Man Shoots and Kills Driver Who Mistakenly Pulled Into His Driveway
    Isn't enough for me to even speculate as to guilt or innocence....

It's good to know that cops aren't the only folks who overreact to the slightest perceived threat.
    But I absolutely DO differentiate between a homeowner gunning down a trespasser and a government employee gunning down anybody under the color of law.

If you're not, then just say you're not. No interrogation needed. I'm sure Mr. Son of Liberty would understand.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    In my experience, the people who whip out a weapon every time they see a person are usually the low-class ones who live out in the country because they had nowhere else to go and have very modest dwellings. The ones living at the end of a long driveway are usually quite wealthy and never actually get that kind of company.
    Stick to city life Paul...

One of my neighbors growing up lived in a very modest rock home with the barn and bull pen in close proximity, there were tractors and balers in various states of (dis) repair in the yard, ol' Gene had chaw dribbled into his scraggly beard and kept both a 30/30 and a 12ga in the back window of his p/u.....A typical stereotypical hillbilly right?

Until you dig a bit deaper..

Ol' Gene owned, free and clear, over 5k acres, leased almost 10k additional, owned his own feedlot in Ok. as well as 7 separate equipment dealers, kept a fleet of semis running tending his herd...

I shoveled $#@! for the man for $.50hr and bucked hay for $.02 bale....

This is one type of person who shoots first when he sees strange vehicles where they don't belong...

I'm unable to comment on local behavior in Ga.due to not being a local.

The headline

Isn't enough for me to even speculate as to guilt or innocence....
    You stated unequivocally that you would not cast your ballot against someone who did just what he did.

You stated unequivocally that you would not cast your ballot against someone who did just what he did.
    LOCAL person!

Jury of peers.........

Stick to city life Paul...

One of my neighbors growing up lived in a very modest rock home with the barn and bull pen in close proximity, there were tractors and balers in various states of (dis) repair in the yard, ol' Gene had chaw dribbled into his scraggly beard and kept both a 30/30 and a 12ga in the back window of his p/u.....A typical stereotypical hillbilly right?

Until you dig a bit deaper..

Ol' Gene owned, free and clear, over 5k acres, leased almost 10k additional, owned his own feedlot in Ok. as well as 7 separate equipment dealers, kept a fleet of semis running tending his herd...

I shoveled $#@! for the man for $.50hr and bucked hay for $.02 bale....

This is one type of person who shoots first when he sees strange vehicles where they don't belong...
    Is Ol' Gene also a cop?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is Ol' Gene also a cop?
    $#@! no!

What a silly inquiry.......

Gene's dead now and his son is cashing in on migrating city folk with 5 acre "ranchettes" ...

LOCAL person!

Jury of peers.........
    So, again, I have to ask what geography has to do with it??

You're more than happy to, without equivocation, state that you would not vote to convict a local person who shoots someone in his driveway.

Why would the details suddenly matter when the situation arises in Georgia?

$#@! no!

What a silly inquiry.......

Gene's dead now and his son is cashing in on migrating city folk with 5 acre "ranchettes" ...
    Why's that so silly? Ol' Gene was a "shoot first" kind of guy. He sounds like he was a sociopath, based on that description. Well adjusted folks don't react to strangers by "shooting first".

So, again, I have to ask what geography has to do with it??

You're more than happy to, without equivocation, state that you would not vote to convict a local person who shoots someone in his driveway.

Why would the details suddenly matter when the situation arises in Georgia?
    Shooting a stranger who's trespassing in the backwoods is different than shooting a stranger who's trespassing in the burbs..

I'm not asking you to differentiate merely stating that I do.

Question.

What kind of man goes roller skating with his friend who he needs a GPS to find the home?

And why shouldn't he be shot on the spot?

*ducks out*

Why's that so silly? Ol' Gene was a "shoot first" kind of guy. He sounds like he was a sociopath, based on that description. Well adjusted folks don't react to strangers by "shooting first".
    Well adjusted folks protect their property.

I brought up Gene specifically because he is one of the farmers back in the 80's who was hit particularly hard by rustlers, I'd have behaved in the same manner were I in his shoes..

The portrayal of "Shoot first" is misleading in and of itself because that's not what happened back then....

Identify yourself was the icebreaker to the trespasser the ones who fled were fired on.

This anecdote has no bearing on this thread other than to point out that all folks who shoot trespassers aren't sociopaths...

Out here in the sticks a stranger has a good chance of being drawn on if not shot at for pulling into a driveway where they don't belong.

This is normal behavior here too..

Now, would you have behaved differently if the circumstances were different?
    I am a bit confused, which one of those 2 posts is normal in the sticks? pulling a gun/shooting at strangers who pulls into your driveway or not pulling a gun/shoot at but instead hollering and being civil with a strangers with a shotgun who stroll into your property? something tells me that both posts cannot be truth, paranoid freaks who shot at strangers who pull into their driveway do not tend to civil with armed strangers who trespass on their property.

And this is not me having a go at you, I really want to know which is true in the rare chance I am unfortunate to find my self in either scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I am a bit confused, which one of those 2 posts is normal in the sticks? pulling a gun/shooting at strangers who pulls into your driveway or not pulling a gun/shoot at but instead hollering and being civil with a strangers with a shotgun who stroll into your property? something tells me that both posts cannot be truth, paranoid freaks who shot at strangers who pull into their driveway do not tend to civil with armed strangers who trespass on their property.

And this is not me having a go at you, I really want to know which is true in the rare chance I am unfortunate to find my self in either scenario.
    Circumstances are relevant...

99.5% of the time a person lost and behaving themselves will encounter nothing but guarded hospitality out here...

There are many areas back in the national forest where even I don't venture for fear of ventilation....

So yup both statements are true, they're not mutually exclusive.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm just going to pop in here and say, my aunt lives in the country (in Ga) and she's pulled a shot gun on lots of people who've pulled in her driveway. Hasn't shot anyone....yet. You can't see her house from the road, she has a gate at the end of the driveway with No Trespassing and Private Driveway signs, and she's home alone a lot - it's scares her when a truck load of men she doesn't know pulls up. She walks out with her shot gun and her big ass pit bulls (they're love bugs, they just look scary) to run them off. It usually happens once a week during hunting season, it's obviously mostly hunters but they have no business being there and who knows what kind of people they are. Heck, my uncle found where someone had set up a deer feeder on his property at the end of summer. Clearly a hunter had been sneaking around setting himself up a spot to come back to this fall. It's creepy as hell to go skulking around someone's property like that - and their property is clearly marked, this was no accident.

I'm not defending the guy in the op, I haven't even read it yet. I'm just explaining why someone would pull a gun on someone who pulls up their driveway.

Circumstances are relevant...

99.5% of the time a person lost and behaving themselves will encounter nothing but guarded hospitality out here...

There are many areas back in the national forest where even I don't venture for fear of ventilation....

So yup both statements are true, they're not mutually exclusive.
    When you say it like that, then it is not that different from what might happen even here in the city. Your original post gave the impression that it was not out of the ordinary out to pull a gun or shot strangers(with no other qualifiers) who drive up to your driveway in the country. But in reality, you have to be a stranger plus not behave yourself to get shot at which essential remove 99.5% of the people who drive onto your driveway and behave normal. But anyway, thanks for clarifying your post

Also what do you mean by "fear of ventilation"?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post

Also what do you mean by "fear of ventilation"?
    Getting shot.

The national forest and its caves are, and have been the home to scofflaws for over a century...

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post

If you read the original article, you can see the man shot was named Rodrigo Diaz (its Mexican). Lets face it, this guy is probably an illegal immigrant from Mexico, on welfare trying to take jobs probably commit crime if he had the opportunity. Maybe it was a good thing that he was shot now before he could continue his possible crimes/leeching.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast