Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Man Shoots and Kills Driver Who Mistakenly Pulled Into His Driveway; No Jail

Georgia Man Shoots and Kills Driver Who Mistakenly Pulled Into His Driveway; No Jail

http://jonathanturley.org/2014/11/20...nd-a-500-fine/

Quote Originally Posted by Turley
    Georgia Man Shoots and Kills Driver Who Mistakenly Pulled Into His Driveway . . . Allowed To Plead To A Single Misdemeanor With No Jail Time and A $500 Fine

There is a surprising plea deal in Georgia this week where Philip Sailors, 69, was accused of responding to Rodrigo Diaz pulling into his driveway by mistake by shooting him in the head and killing him. Sailors has now been allowed to plead out on a single misdemeanor for involuntary manslaughter with no jail time. He was facing a murder charge. Under the plea bargain, Sailors will serve 12-months’ probation and pay a $500 fine. What is equally striking is that Sailors declined to say a word of apology to the family of Diaz when he appeared in court to accept the plea bargain of a lifetime.

Diaz appears to have pulled into the wrong driveway while following a mistaken GPS in January 2013. He was trying to find the driveway of his friend across the street to go roller-skating. When Sailors saw a strange car, he came out shooting: firing once in the air and once through the windshield of the car. The second round struck Diaz in the head.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    hmm. I'm thinking they're gonna have a field day with this one.

Here we are in GA trying to extend carry into more areas, to advance the cause of gun rights, winning over public perception . . . and then . . .

an idiot happens. Media fodder for the liberal crusaders.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

The first question that pops into my head is, "Who is Philip Sailors - and who does he know?" ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

If your life and the lives of your family, your wife, your kids were at risk, you wouldn't take chances either.

Quote Originally Posted by libertarianinternational View Post
    If your life and the lives of your family, your wife, your kids were at risk, you wouldn't take chances either.
    Really? You can't just blow everyones' brains out for the grave crime of pulling into your driveway.

You know how many people I'd kill if I did that? Drivers attempting to turn their cars around, package delivery personnel in unmarked vehicles, Jehovah's Witnesses...

This is a dangerous mindset to align with a case like this. Soooo many cowboys out there who would crap their pants if someone yelled "Boo!" at them.

Occasionally a mundane will get to play by the same rules that the King's men do -- in both cases it will be up to the deceased person's family to seek out some real justice -- or just let it go. In this case a civil suit might be a good option ...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    Occasionally a mundane will get to play by the same rules that the King's men do -- in both cases it will be up to the deceased person's family to seek out some real justice -- or just let it go. In this case a civil suit might be a good option ...
    This makes me wonder if Philip Sailors is a former cop....

I'm generally big time on the side of "you have a right to do what you need to do to protect your property", but this is clearly not an example of defense, at all, based on the info in the article.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah this is kind of a stretch. If you're gonna be that itchy with your trigger, then the lives of your family, wife, and kids are probably already at risk.

What's that big yellow thing with flashing lights dropping off a whole gang in front of my house? Open fire!

The problem is not that I'm willing to take away the rights of anyone else based on this man's decision to shoot, but there are a $#@! ton of transplanted liberals in ATL who are willing to take away the rights of millions due to the actions of one. So therefore, one idiot can easily affect the rights of millions with his stupidity—it's an unfortunate fact, but a fact nonetheless. The Atlanta Journal Constitution is probably gonna be running this story for a week.

This guy is not your champion.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 11-22-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

This guy seems crazy... I don't think he should own a gun. I think misuse of a fire arm like this and apparently showing now remorse is grounds to get his guns taken away. Since it is a misdemeanor, I would assume he can still own guns.

I think everyone should be able to own guns until you do something stupid like this or commit a violent crime or diagnosed with mental illness.

that's not self defense
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Out here in the sticks a stranger has a good chance of being drawn on if not shot at for pulling into a driveway where they don't belong.

In town folks are more forgiving though.......

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Out here in the sticks a stranger has a good chance of being drawn on if not shot at for pulling into a driveway where they don't belong.

That's a great point, tod. Could maybe turn the argument around a bit based upon what you bring up there.

Jeez, that's just sick. It's depressing, too. He was just going to go roller skating with his friend and ended up shot in the head. And no apology? This guy deserves a lot more than what he got, that's for sure.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Excellent chance of being met with a gun around here for driving up the wrong driveway. Not much of a chance of getting shot at, folks are pretty reasonable but very cautious. My place is 1000 feet off the road and you can't see it from the road. Nobody should be up here that doesn't belong. But fwiw my drive is long enough google maps shows it as a road.

What's at risk? Are you really that paranoid that you feel the need to immediately shoot and kill everyone who uses your driveway as a turnaround spot? Do you even go in public?
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    this is completely crazy.. warning shots in this case would even be a bit strange but at least it would not have lead to a death?? wrong driveway shouldnt mean an execution.. and just because he may have been lawful in doing so never means it was morally acceptable to take somebody's life without thinking at all..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

serious?

Would you do that? Seriously?

I've seen my parents pull into a driveway as a way of turning around before (I don't currently drive.) Had we been shot at for doing that, yeah, I'd consider that murder. Come on...

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Excellent chance of being met with a gun around here for driving up the wrong driveway. Not much of a chance of getting shot at, folks are pretty reasonable but very cautious. My place is 1000 feet off the road and you can't see it from the road. Nobody should be up here that doesn't belong. But fwiw my drive is long enough google maps shows it as a road.
    Pulling the gun? Seems really excessive but at least nobody is actually harmed. Actually shooting? Come on...

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    this is completely crazy.. warning shots in this case would even be a bit strange but at least it would not have lead to a death?? wrong driveway shouldnt mean an execution.. and just because he may have been lawful in doing so never means it was morally acceptable to take somebody's life without thinking at all..
    This...
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Are you the same RPF account who has that really dumb, but funny avatar? The avatar is a picture of a person with her back to the camera. The back of her shirt reads, "volunteer." I can't remember the user name.

You and that account post some funny one liners. Not that this line is funny, and the other account is probably better.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Twenty bucks says this guy is an ex cop, prosecutor, judge, sheriff, prison guard...an ex "official" of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Twenty bucks says this guy is an ex cop, prosecutor, judge, sheriff, prison guard...an ex "official" of some kind.
    That was my gut reaction as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    Yep pull into the white house driveway......boom you are dead.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Would you do that? Seriously?

I've seen my parents pull into a driveway as a way of turning around before (I don't currently drive.) Had we been shot at for doing that, yeah, I'd consider that murder. Come on...
    Depends on the situation, in the mid 80's cattle rustling and equipment thefts were at an all time high, every stranger was suspect.

I don't recall anyone being shot over it but I do recall shots being fired at cars/trucks that tried to avoid the "Whatchudoin?" Cops never called of course.

You've got to understand though, "driveways" here are often wagon ruts going off through the woods..

Deer season is another time out of state plates are routinely run off at gunpoint, any upright hunter will come in and introduce himself before the season and let the landowner know which neighbor has given him permission to hunt in the area..

City folk all liquored up with semi-auto weapons traipsing around uninvited in the woods with your livestock might cause you to worry too...

Looking at such behavior through the lens of New Yark life is diametrically opposed to looking at it through the lens of country life.. The burbs are their own set of idiosyncrasies...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

It's good to know that cops aren't the only folks who overreact to the slightest perceived threat.

Last weekend I was traipsing around my land when I encountered a man walking with a shotgun. I cautiously called out to him from a distance, then engaged him in friendly conversation and asked him what he was doing on my land as I approached. Turns out, the former property owner had given him permission to hunt the area, and as I haven't occupied the property yet he just continued hunting it. He asked if I minded him continuing to do so, and I told him I didn't, so long as he let me know when he was going to be there.

As a rule, I don't tremble in fear and whip out a weapon every time I encounter other people.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    It's good to know that cops aren't the only folks who overreact to the slightest perceived threat.

Last weekend I was traipsing around my land when I encountered a man walking with a shotgun. I cautiously called out to him from a distance, then engaged him in friendly conversation and asked him what he was doing on my land as I approached. Turns out, the former property owner had given him permission to hunt the area, and as I haven't occupied the property yet he just continued hunting it. He asked if I minded him continuing to do so, and I told him I didn't, so long as he let me know when he was going to be there.

As a rule, I don't tremble in fear and whip out a weapon every time I encounter other people.
    This is normal behavior here too..

Now, would you have behaved differently if the circumstances were different?

This is normal behavior here too..

Now, would you have behaved differently if the circumstances were different?
    I guess the point I'm trying to make is that pulling a gun - let alone shooting - on someone for merely pulling into your driveway is a cowardly overreaction to an everyday encounter with other human beings.

ETA: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ling-NYPD-Cops

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    I guess the point I'm trying to make is that pulling a gun - let alone shooting - on someone for merely pulling into your driveway is a cowardly overreaction to an everyday encounter with other human beings.
    I differentiate between environments and circumstances, deer season is coming up soon, my neighbors and I have talked and we know who's supposed to be here and who isn't.

There are folks out here in the hollars who cook shine, grow dope or make meth and you can rest assured they'll shoot at a strange vehicle, it's been that way since before prohibition...

Personally I'm proud to live in such an inhospitable area, if the bugs-n-critters don't keep interlopers out then the inbreds will.......

One of his kids could have been in the car. Or one of his relatives kids. That was very irresponsible and he should have gotten a manslaughter charge at least. If this was a real threat the perp would have had to get out of the car to cause harm. Really, was he expecting a car bombing or something?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

my neighbors and I have talked and we know who's supposed to be here and who isn't.
    Sometimes people make a wrong turn. They don't deserve to be shot for it.

Folks who feel compelled to draw a weapon because someone whom they do not know shows up on their property are cowards. Intelligent people do indeed assess the situation, and keeping means of protection handy is reasonable, but pointing a weapon at someone who's done nothing more threatening than pull into the wrong driveway is sociopathic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast