Thread: Hans-Hermann Hoppe: From Aristocracy to Monarchy to Democracy

Post Hans-Hermann Hoppe: From Aristocracy to Monarchy to Democracy

New monograph available from the Mises Institute: http://mises.org/library/aristocracy-monarchy-democracy

From Aristocracy to Monarchy to Democracy: A Tale of Moral and Economic Folly and Decay

In this tour de force essay, Hans-Hermann Hoppe turns the standard account of historical governmental progress on its head. While the state is an evil in all its forms, monarchy is, in many ways, far less pernicious than democracy. Hoppe shows the evolution of government away from aristocracy, through monarchy, and toward the corruption and irresponsibility of democracy to have been identical with the growth of the leviathan state. There is hope for liberty, as Hoppe explains, but it lies not in reversing these steps, but rather through secession and decentralization. This pocket-sized, eye-opening monograph is ideal for sharing with friends. It can revolutionize the way a reader sees society and the state.

PDF: http://mises.org/sites/default/files...ext%202014.pdf
    EPUB: http://mises.org/sites/default/files...Democracy.epub
    PAPER: http://store.mises.org/Paperback-P10960.aspx
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    TY! Downloaded (but I have yet to figure out how to save it to kindle even though Ronin did the google search for me).

If Hoppe is no exponent of progress here, though, he does not leave us with a counsel of despair. The democratic State’s frenzied finance cannot continue indefinitely; and he finds grounds for hope in a movement toward smaller, decentralized governments.
    Economic crisis hits, and an impending meltdown will stimulate decentralizing tendencies, separatist and secessionist movements, and lead to the breakup of empire.
    In this way the growth toward Leviathan may be reversed.
    That's what I'm hoping and waiting for.

I had a dream a few years back that I met Hoppe. It was great, then I woke up.

Thanks again!
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Here's a speech Hoppe gave a year and a half ago on the same subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIUSctVPCCU

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    New monograph available from the Mises Institute: http://mises.org/library/aristocracy-monarchy-democracy

From Aristocracy to Monarchy to Democracy: A Tale of Moral and Economic Folly and Decay

In this tour de force essay, Hans-Hermann Hoppe turns the standard account of historical governmental progress on its head. While the state is an evil in all its forms, monarchy is, in many ways, far less pernicious than democracy. Hoppe shows the evolution of government away from aristocracy, through monarchy, and toward the corruption and irresponsibility of democracy to have been identical with the growth of the leviathan state. There is hope for liberty, as Hoppe explains, but it lies not in reversing these steps, but rather through secession and decentralization. This pocket-sized, eye-opening monograph is ideal for sharing with friends. It can revolutionize the way a reader sees society and the state.

PDF: http://mises.org/sites/default/files...ext%202014.pdf
    EPUB: http://mises.org/sites/default/files...Democracy.epub
    PAPER: http://store.mises.org/Paperback-P10960.aspx
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Occam's Banana again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    TY! Downloaded (but I have yet to figure out how to save it to kindle even though Ronin did the google search for me).

Thanks again!
    I'm thankful that Mises is android friendly. I just wish i knew when a RPF or search engine link is a download and what it is I'm clicking on. I think I have downloaded "Democracy, The God That Failed" about five times in the past year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Got the PDF. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post

Thanks again!

http://www.amazon.com/Aristocracy-Mo...keywords=hoppe

Given the three choices of aristocracy, monarchy, and democracy, I'd take aristocracy. The competing aristocratic families are often a check on each other, they are accountable to smaller and more localized communities, and each is individually less powerful than a despotic monarch. There is also usually some wiggle room for exceptional regular people to become aristocrats. The folly of democracy needs no exposition here...it is the worst of the three.

All three are bad choices compared to constitutional republic, but of the three, aristocracy is the best.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by willwash View Post
    Given the three choices of aristocracy, monarchy, and democracy, I'd take aristocracy. The competing aristocratic families are often a check on each other, they are accountable to smaller and more localized communities, and each is individually less powerful than a despotic monarch. There is also usually some wiggle room for exceptional regular people to become aristocrats. The folly of democracy needs no exposition here...it is the worst of the three.

All three are bad choices compared to constitutional republic
    , but of the three, aristocracy is the best.
    How so? (Hoppe includes democratic republicanism under the broader term "democracy", and rightly so because much of the system is determined democratically-at least, on paper)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12