Thread: Obama Extends U.S. Role in Afghan Combat

Obama Extends U.S. Role in Afghan Combat

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/22/us...an-combat.html

WASHINGTON — President Obama decided in recent weeks to authorize a more expansive mission for the military in Afghanistan in 2015 than originally planned, a move that ensures American troops will have a direct role in fighting in the war-ravaged country for at least another year.

Mr. Obama’s order allows American forces to carry out missions against the Taliban and other militant groups threatening American troops or the Afghan government, a broader mission than the president described to the public earlier this year, according to several administration, military and congressional officials with knowledge of the decision. The new authorization also allows American jets, bombers and drones to support Afghan troops on combat missions.
    [...]
    In an announcement in the White House Rose Garden in May, Mr. Obama said that the American military would have no combat role in Afghanistan next year, and that the missions for the 9,800 troops remaining in the country would be limited to training Afghan forces and to hunting the “remnants of Al Qaeda.”

The decision to change that mission was the result of a lengthy and heated debate that laid bare the tension inside the Obama administration between two often-competing imperatives: the promise Mr. Obama made to end the war in Afghanistan, versus the demands of the Pentagon that American troops be able to successfully fulfill their remaining missions in the country.

The internal discussion took place against the backdrop of this year’s collapse of Iraqi security forces in the face of the advance of the Islamic State as well as the mistrust between the Pentagon and the White House that still lingers since Mr. Obama’s 2009 decision to “surge” 30,000 American troops to Afghanistan. Some of the president’s civilian advisers say that decision was made only because of excessive Pentagon pressure, and some military officials say it was half-baked and made with an eye to domestic politics.

Mr. Obama’s decision, made during a White House meeting in recent weeks with his senior national security advisers, came over the objection of some of his top civilian aides, who argued that American lives should not be put at risk next year in any operations against the Taliban — and that they should have only a narrow counterterrorism mission against Al Qaeda.

But the military pushed back, and generals both at the Pentagon and in Afghanistan urged Mr. Obama to define the mission more broadly to allow American troops to attack the Taliban, the Haqqani network and other militants if intelligence revealed that the extremists were threatening American forces in the country.
    [...]
    “There was a school of thought that wanted the mission to be very limited, focused solely on Al Qaeda,” one American official said.

But, the official said, “the military pretty much got what it wanted.”
    [...]
    As the president said in the Rose Garden in May, “I think Americans have learned that it’s harder to end wars than it is to begin them.”
    What a weakling. How about a simple "No." Or next time, maybe have the debate in CONgress rather than behind closed doors so the American people can hold the endless war advocates accountable.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Surprise, surprise, Viet Nam, deja vu, all over again. <YAWN>

As the president said in the Rose Garden in May, “I think Americans have learned that it’s harder to end wars than it is to begin them.”
    Bull$#@!. "We just marched in, we can just march out."

And BTW, how many wars have been begun by Americans - as distinct from American politicians (like Barack "Nobel Peace Bomber" Obama)?

I can only think of one ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-22-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Are they threatening to herd goats on federal lands again?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Play the race card in Missouri, add some scare tactics about a tropical disease and don't forget isis. Once the public is good and distracted you can continue the war you pledged to end and nobody will notice.

Thank God Congress doesn't have to worry themselves or dirty their hands with this. Hail Obama Caesar!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Defend those Poppy Fields...

CIA/MOSSAD are outgunned, they need more protection since Poppy planting/growing season has just started in Afghanistan.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Thank God Congress doesn't have to worry themselves or dirty their hands with this. Hail Obama Caesar!
    Those neutered clowns are more than happy to surrender their power to the dictator, on war, immigration, and so much more. Sickening.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Those neutered clowns are more than happy to surrender their power to the dictator, on war, immigration, and so much more. Sickening.
    Yeah, just like conjuring-up that "SEQUESTRATION" BS ... they came up with a Patsy to cut the budgets, because the spineless scum didn't want to be on the record of cutting spending or programs that would jeopardize their re-elections.

Sleazeball Aristocrats
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

He released 6 terrorists from Gitmo too.

-t

I'm glad none of my tax dollars went to that Nobel Peace prize. That said, it's said that many of my liberal friends think Obama ended the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Angry Obama Signs Secret Order to Expand Afghan War in 2015

US Troops Will Remain in Direct Combat Throughout 2015
    by Jason Ditz, November 21, 2014
    A new report coming out of the New York Times tonight reveals that President Obama has signed a secret order dramatically expanding the scope of US military operations in Afghanistan in 2015.
    Despite claims that the war is “ending” at the end of 2014, the new order will ensure that US ground troops will continue to carry out direct combat operations throughout 2015, and potentially beyond.Obama had announced back in May that there would no combat role at all in 2015, and that the remaining troops, about 10,000 of them, would be limited to training Afghan forces.
    http://benswann.com/obama-signs-secr...n-war-in-2015/

Obombya

Big Pharma must need more cheap access to vicodin ingredients at the taxpayers expense.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The majority of the troops remaining will be pogs. The warfighters will be special operations guys. This isn't news.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    He released 6 terrorists from Gitmo too.

-t
    More need released. Shouldn't be anybody there.

What the existing troops are allowed to do is being expanded again but the numbers of them are not being increased at this time.

Afghanistan's parliment actually held a public vote on it:

Afghan parliament OKs U.S. troops beyond 2014
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ps-beyond-2014

"Obama's decision...Obama's decision...Obama ordered...Obama wants..."

LOL
    --Albert J. Nock

Two American Soldiers Killed in Kabul Identified

26 Nov 2014

The two American soldiers killed Monday by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan were a command sergeant major and a decorated paratrooper, the Defense Department announced Wednesday. They were identified as Sgt. Maj. Wardell Turner, 48, of Nanticoke, Maryland, and Spc. Joseph Riley, 27, of Grove City, Ohio.

A suicide bomber rammed the soldiers' vehicle in Kabul. Six civilians were also killed. No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, the second suicide vehicle bombing against coalition forces in the Afghan capital this week. On Thursday, another blast killed at least one British service member and a British embassy worker.

Monday's bombing occurred as the Obama administration revealed it was shifting strategies in Afghanistan — choosing instead to expand combat operations after earlier declaring troops would be pulled from the war-torn country by the end of the year. Under the revised mission, the U.S. military will continue to launch air and ground combat operations

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/military...tified-n257311

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...bassy-six-dead