Thread: Czech Republic next for regime change?

Czech Republic next for regime change?

NED's Regime Change Tsar Eyes Czech Republic
    Written by Daniel McAdams

The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a most troublesome entity. It is funded nearly entirely by the US government, but as a non-government entity it is not at all answerable to the hand that feeds it (nor the pockets picked to provide the food). The relationship is mutually beneficial: the US government can task it with regime change overseas while keeping the appearance of clean hands; the NED has free reign to pursue its mission (regime change) with zero governmental oversight.

As one of the founders of the NED, Allan Weinstein, said, “A lot of what we do today was done covertly 25 years ago by the CIA.”

NED President Carl Gershman perfectly embodies why it is a bad idea for the US to keep an unaccountable entity dedicated to subversion and destabilization in the foreign policy stable. Though over decades he has spent many millions of US taxpayer dollars on regime change overseas, there has never been a regime change in the National Endowment for Democracy. Gershman, a former Trotskyite, has been president-for-life of that organization. He overthrows elected governments overseas, but has never been elected to any office himself.

Perpetually flush with cash and ever on the lookout for a regime to change, when one catches the eye of Carl Gershman, trouble is sure to follow.

That is why the Czech Republic had better watch out.

Yesterday, Gershman took to the Washington Post to sound the alarm over Czech President Milos Zeman. In a piece titled "Are Czechs giving up on moral responsibility?" Gershman warned that the Czech president has "strayed drastically" from the late Vaclav Havel's legacy. Havel, a saint of the US establishment, was, in his continued dedication to collectivism and the cult of "human rights," a marked contrast to his nemesis at the time, former Czech President and Prime Minister Vaclav Klaus, who championed individual liberty and post-communist national sovereignty.

What horrible crime has President Zeman committed to earn the wrath of Carl Gershman? At the NATO summit in September he had the gall to dispute neocon Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt's claim (without evidence) that Russia had invaded Ukraine.
    The truth hurts and Gershman is clearly upset with the Czech Republic. When Gershman gets upset, however, destabilization begins and soon gives way to full-out regime change operations.

Prague had better watch out...
    More: http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...zech-republic/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As someone with insider foreign policy information, I am aware that the one that they are currently targeting is not the Czech Republic, but Hungary.

Good piece. Here's the whole thing ...

NED's Regime Change Tsar Eyes Czech Republic
    http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...zech-republic/
    Daniel McAdams (17 November 2014)

The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a most troublesome entity. It is funded nearly entirely by the US government, but as a non-government entity it is not at all answerable to the hand that feeds it (nor the pockets picked to provide the food). The relationship is mutually beneficial: the US government can task it with regime change overseas while keeping the appearance of clean hands; the NED has free reign to pursue its mission (regime change) with zero governmental oversight.

As one of the founders of the NED, Allan Weinstein, said, “A lot of what we do today was done covertly 25 years ago by the CIA.”

NED President Carl Gershman perfectly embodies why it is a bad idea for the US to keep an unaccountable entity dedicated to subversion and destabilization in the foreign policy stable. Though over decades he has spent many millions of US taxpayer dollars on regime change overseas, there has never been a regime change in the National Endowment for Democracy. Gershman, a former Trotskyite, has been president-for-life of that organization. He overthrows elected governments overseas, but has never been elected to any office himself.

Perpetually flush with cash and ever on the lookout for a regime to change, when one catches the eye of Carl Gershman, trouble is sure to follow.

That is why the Czech Republic had better watch out.

Yesterday, Gershman took to the Washington Post to sound the alarm over Czech President Milos Zeman. In a piece titled "Are Czechs giving up on moral responsibility?" Gershman warned that the Czech president has "strayed drastically" from the late Vaclav Havel's legacy. Havel, a saint of the US establishment, was, in his continued dedication to collectivism and the cult of "human rights," a marked contrast to his nemesis at the time, former Czech President and Prime Minister Vaclav Klaus, who championed individual liberty and post-communist national sovereignty.

What horrible crime has President Zeman committed to earn the wrath of Carl Gershman? At the NATO summit in September he had the gall to dispute neocon Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt's claim (without evidence) that Russia had invaded Ukraine.

He also had the temerity to assert the guilt of US-favorite anti-Putin oligarch, Mikhail Khodorkovsky, and to rue that more criminal oligarchs in Russia had not been imprisoned. One might think that would earn him points with a US government that just read fellow former-Soviet bloc member Hungary the riot act over alleged corruption, but when the oligarch is "pro-West" the US tends to turn a blind eye to the rule of law.

All of that was bad, but what really irritated Gershman was that the Czech president recently affirmed to China that his country was open to increased commercial ties with Beijing and would not make "human rights" in China a prerequisite for improved trade ties. Gershman fumed over Prague's "policy of appeasing Vladi*mir Putin and putting economic relations with China above human rights."

But even this was not the worst. Tsar Gershman became apoplectic over the Czech foreign ministry's decision to stop funding regime change operations in Cuba, Belarus and China through its "TRANS" program. The program had until last month been part of the network of government-provided largesse to the likes of George Soros' "Transitions Online" publication, which closely tracks US foreign policy goals.

Gershman attacked Deputy Foreign Minister Petr Drulák for rejecting what Drulák called the "false universalism" that seeks to “impose on others our idea of the ideal society.” And he fumed over Drulák's write-off of the cult of Havel as a bunch of "American neoconservatives" (like Havel-worshipping neoconservative Carl Gershman).

The truth hurts and Gershman is clearly upset with the Czech Republic. When Gershman gets upset, however, destabilization begins and soon gives way to full-out regime change operations.

Prague had better watch out. If Czech President Milos Zeman had any sense he would expel any operatives from the National Endowment for Democracy or its various US government-funded sub-organizations like the International Republican Institute and the National Democratic Institute. These organizations are no doubt planning to undermine Czech democracy as we speak.

Copyright © 2014 by RonPaul Institute. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit and a live link are given.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

So this is why the newspapers in my country have taken a sudden interest about the Czechs.The Germans never learn and in the end they will lose like they always do.
    Last edited by Demigod; 11-21-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Hmm... perhaps I am simply not being sufficiently circumspect in my cynicism-driven paranoia, but I have to ask: is anyone else finding this somewhat disturbing? What I mean is this: were I top dog in Czech Republic and I got word that this little communist $#@! was making these sorts of noises toward my nation, I would have him black-bagged to the Czech Republic where I would unleash the pent-up and frustrated retired secret police agents that once terrorized the land in the name of compliance to the world communist creed.

I am serious. He would die horribly and nobody would ever know what happened to him. And if any of his successors were to take up the reins where he left off, they would suffer the same fate. Mysteriously. Anonymously.

Doe these small European nations shiver before men like this because they are backed by the USA? Is that a bottomlessly stupid question?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by libertarianinternational View Post
    As someone with insider foreign policy information, I am aware that the one that they are currently targeting is not the Czech Republic, but Hungary.
    Oh I've got to hear this one. Do elaborate.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

NED President Carl Gershman perfectly embodies why it is a bad idea for the US to keep an unaccountable entity dedicated to subversion and destabilization in the foreign policy stable.

What Ron Paul had to say about the NED:

Ron Paul also argued against NED funding in 2005 stating that NED has "very little to do with democracy. It is an organization that uses US tax money to actually subvert democracy, by showering funding on favored political parties or movements overseas. It underwrites color-coded ‘people’s revolutions’ overseas that look more like pages out of Lenin’s writings on stealing power than genuine indigenous democratic movements."
    Last edited by DFF; 11-22-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Hmm... perhaps I am simply not being sufficiently circumspect in my cynicism-driven paranoia, but I have to ask: is anyone else finding this somewhat disturbing? What I mean is this: were I top dog in Czech Republic and I got word that this little communist $#@! was making these sorts of noises toward my nation, I would have him black-bagged to the Czech Republic where I would unleash the pent-up and frustrated retired secret police agents that once terrorized the land in the name of compliance to the world communist creed.

I am serious. He would die horribly and nobody would ever know what happened to him. And if any of his successors were to take up the reins where he left off, they would suffer the same fate. Mysteriously. Anonymously.

Doe these small European nations shiver before men like this because they are backed by the USA? Is that a bottomlessly stupid question?
    He has the whole USA and EU machine behind him ,if you kill him you will end up with your body being dragged in the streets for being a "dictator".All you can is try to bribe them to leave you alone if not even support you.The Albanians are experts for that,they are basically the CIA distribution network for narcotics in Europe and they use all the money to buy off EU and USA politicians to turn a blind eye and even toe their line from time to time.

This people have all of the power behind them but are rarely being scrutinized unless they make a really big mess because most of the time no one is even aware their positions exist.

The Hungarian biggest political party ( and government ) really hates the EU and have been going against them on a number of issues.There is a reason I wrote above that Germany is at fault for most of this.The Ukraine war and now the Hungarian/Czech problem all started because of the same thing the South Stream pipeline that was supposed to go from Crimea to the Balkans and supply Italy,Austria and Hungary at the end + all of the Balkans.The pipeline was always 51% Gazprom and the other 49% mostly the local companies of the country it passes trough on the other hand Germany has a stake in another 2 pipelines a pipeline from Azerbejan and central Asia trough Turkey and the Balkans and another from Qatar to Syria and from there by ship to Southern Europe and both failed.They passed laws in the EU so they would force Gazprom to sell its parts and they could buy it but Gazprom probably bribed the local politicians not to implement the law and then the war in Ukraine started .Now Hungary and the Czech don't want to put sanctions on Russia and are going against the EU stance so regime change.Hungary also declared that they will be building the South Stream pipeline and the EU can pound sand.

The last time a country didn't wan't to pass a EU law ( i think it was either Slovakia or Czech ) they made them take a re vote like 10 times and in the end changed their government and the first thing the new government did was pass the law.
    Last edited by Demigod; 11-22-2014 at 01:40 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demigod View Post
    All you can is try to bribe them to leave you alone if not even support you.The Albanians are experts for that,they are basically the CIA distribution network for narcotics in Europe and they use all the money to buy off EU and USA politicians to turn a blind eye and even toe their line from time to time.
    The Albanians know how to make the correct friends.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Demigod nails it. Since the 2010 Hungarian election, their conservative government has positioned itself as the most pro-Russian in the European Union, with the Hungarian leader even proclaiming the end of liberal democracy in Hungary and calling for Hungary to move more towards Putinism. This very same Hungarian leader had received financial support from the CIA from 1988 to 1998, and then military support from the State Department from 1998 through to 2002, winning accolades from prominent neocon think tanks. His change in foreign policy alignment was seen as betrayal by many powerful men, who now seek to take revenge.
    Last edited by libertarianinternational; 11-22-2014 at 01:39 PM.

h/t Lew Rockwell @ LRC: http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/good-news-for-once/

After Ukraine: Are the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary Veering Off the NATO/EU Reservation?
    http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...u-reservation/
    Christine Stone (15 December 2014)

Prague "red card" protest, Nov. 2014.

Despite the firmness shown by the EU’s biggest players when it comes to sanctioning Putin’s Russia, lower down the pecking order some member states are not happy. Unlike the most craven and obedient puppets — the Baltic States and Poland — it took some arm twisting to get the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary to agree to punish Moscow for annexing Crimea. Each country is dependent for much of its energy on Russia with which there are also valued economic ties. Why rock the boat? Despite hyperbole claiming that Vladimir Putin was intent on taking them over and rebuilding the iron curtain, in reality, Russia has been an unproblematic neighbour for a quarter of a century.

Could these ripples of discontent with the famed Washington consensus develop into something more troubling for both the US and Brussels? What can they do about it? All three countries are members of both NATO and the EU. Promoting regime change inside the Euro-Atlantic tent surely becomes more problematic. Or, does it? Let us examine each case separately and see what the auguries bode.

On 17th November 2014, it was drab and raining in Prague as the Czechs celebrated 25 years since the so-called “velvet revolution,” unlike the classic freezing, East European winter day of 17th November 1989. Demonstrations to mark the event were slated to take place and a mass of candles filled the passage way on Národní Třida (National Street) where student “Martin Šmid” died at the hands of the police, an event that was said to have triggered the collapse of the communist regime. But, hold on: it soon emerged that Martin Šmid didn’t exist; he had been invented by the Czechoslovak security services, the St. B. (Státní Bezpečnost) as part of a ploy to bring a new, reformed post-communist regime to power.

Emoting over a death that never took place seems weird but, in a way it sums up the banality that lays at the heart of all things connected with the “velvet” events. This was only reinforced later in the day when a group of anti-capitalist protesters snaked its way through the city centre wearing papier maché masks, some bearing the image of the evil Putin, others the reviled (at least, by the local cogniscenti) Czech president, Miloš Zeman. A few Ukrainian flags brought up the rear. Other banners denounced Ecuador’s left wing president, Rafael Correa, hardly a household name in Prague.[1] As the hundred or so protesters passed the Rudolfinum concert hall, a group of elderly rock musicians with lank, grey hair plugged away at some ancient protest songs watched by a handful of leather clad biker types.

Over the river, at Prague castle, a more serious group had been gathering during the afternoon: students bent on delivering a message to President Zeman that it was time to go. They did this by leaving a trail of red cards inside the presidential palace complex (the red card is used in football matches to send a player off the pitch). Several hundred protesters ended up under the ceremonial balcony demanding Zeman leave. Fluttering over the courtyard was the presidential flag denoting that Zeman was in residence. It is difficult to imagine such protests taking place in front of the White House or 10 Downing Street but, no one tried to remove the students who did not, to be fair, behave in a violent or intimidating manner. However, there had been scuffles earlier in the day at a “velvet revolution” ceremony attended by various European dignitaries, including Germany’s President Gauck. When students pelted Zeman (who was protected by an umbrella) with eggs one misdirected and managed to hit Gauck.

What, then, has caused the animus against Zeman? The president is a rather shambolic figure who, his detractors allege, besmirches his office by drinking heavily and speaking “off the cuff” (he even smokes and is regularly photographed with a lighted cigarette as if to highlight his malevolence).

As long time leader of the Czech Social Democrats and a former prime minister, Zeman earned the ire of the chattering classes by joining a coalition with former president Vaclav Klaus between 1998 and 2002. By then, Klaus had developed a healthy scepticism towards the EU and both men opposed US sponsored wars in Kosovo and later Iraq which led to their being anathematized by Brussels and Washington and, by extension, the local bien pensants, whose hero ex-dissident Vaclav Havel was the first Czech to advocate bombarding Belgrade since the Good Soldier Sweijk in 1914! When Klaus’s term ended in 2012, such people assumed that their candidate, Prince Kari Schwarzenberg, would be effortlessly elected to replace him. However, even though the Czech Republic is the repository of much Hapsburg charm in the form of castles and cultural artefacts, the electorate consists of a majority of post- communist bumpkins unlikely to feel represented by a Knight of the Golden Fleece. 54.8 percent voted for Zeman while 45.2 percent (mainly in Prague) chose Schwarzenberg.

As the role is mainly ceremonial, the president could have been ignored but Zeman has chosen to speak out on numerous occasions and in ways to infuriate his imperial masters. He has regularly demanded normal relations with Putin’s Russia, called the Ukrainian crisis a “civil war” and then, in a radio interview categorised Mikhail Khodorkovsky as a criminal while reminding listeners of the double entendre involved in the moniker “Pussy Riot.” Despite their usual boasts of über-liberal sexual mores, the intellectual elite of Prague expressed outrage at this outburst of vulgarity. “They don’t like him because he’s naughty,” a young reporter from Czech Television said of the student protesters. “How can we have a president like that,” they moan. “He must go”.

Added to their woes has been the seemingly inexorable rise of a new political party, Ano 11 [2], which came a close second in the 2013 parliamentary election and is now in coalition with the Social Democrats. Many people take it for granted that Ano’s founder, the billionaire Andrej Babiš, now the country’s minister of finance, will end up as prime minister; the party did well in autumn, 2014 local elections. What, then, is wrong with Ano 11?

According to the Czech media (and the Euro-American oriented elite) Babiš is a Berlusconi clone, boss of one of the Czech Republic’s largest conglomerates, Agrofert, who, like Berlusconi, is also buying up media outlets. Ano is composed of old secret policemen and headed by Informer-in-Chief, Babiš.[3] A Slovak by origin, Babiš took the allegations to court and was cleared, but the rumours have persisted as has the intention to appeal. However, it seems clear that, apart from the twitterings of the Prague elite, ordinary Czechs are not particularly concerned by such allegations nearly 30 years after the Communists fell from power. Anyway, many of the alleged Ano nest of spies and informers were too young at the time of their “service” to have been very important cogs in the machine. All this is a smoke screen. Babiš has trodden on various entrenched local interests. He has also supported the extension of nuclear power in the Czech Republic which has angered the EU’s generously subsidised renewables lobby which probably sees the troubles with Russian gas as a golden opportunity to cash in.

Are things any better, more reliable from the Euro-Atlantic perspective, in neighbouring Slovakia? The answer is: not entirely. Slovakia has thrown up politicians frowned upon by the West since its independence was secured by Vladimir Mečiar in 1993. Milan Knažko, an old “sixty eighter” and sometime dissident feared that all the elderly would have to die off before Mečiar finally exited the stage. “Slovaks are stupid,” he said. But, it took twenty years to eliminate Mečiar as a political force only for him to be replaced by another “populist,” Robert Fico, whose leftish Smer (Direction) party won an overall victory in the last Slovak election in 2012. Fico has criticised the EU’s sanctions on Russia and seems to have been forced against his will to implement them, as well as allowing the reverse flow of gas to Ukraine from Slovakia’s own reserves. Of course, his hands are tied as Slovakia is a member of the EU and the single currency. Nevertheless, the empire demands 100 percent obedience, nothing less. Fico stood as a candidate in the March 2014 presidential elections but was surprisingly beaten by a maverick outsider, businessman Andrej Kiska, who made what is described as his “fortune” in hire purchase. Unlike Babiš, his business background is regarded as a plus rather than an exercise in predatory capitalism. He is popular with the elites both at home and in Brussels (unlike Fico) and will be an ideal advocate for pushing Slovakia in the “right” direction, for example, by recognising Kosovan independence, something it has refused so far to do to avoid trouble with its restless Hungarian minority.

But, nothing said or done by politicians in Prague and Bratislava equal the level of disobedience that has been coming from further down the Danube in Hungary. There, Prime Minister Viktor Orban has adopted an openly defiant position on a range of issues that have infuriated the EU. But even more dangerously for his long term survival, he has fallen into the cross hairs of Washington. Since summer 2014, demonstrations regularly take place on some pretext or other against the Orban government and long-term regime change watchers can only debate how the situation will finally be resolved. Supporters are confident Orban will survive as he is “popular,” but that never stopped the engine of regime change. Viktor Yanukovich’s party handily won elections in 2012 but he was deposed a year later; the hugely popular Hugo Chavez and Muammar Gaddafi both ended up dead.

Budapest protest, Oct. 2014. Photo: András D. Hajdú.

Viktor Orban has come a long way from the days of his Soros scholarship at Pembroke College, Oxford. His party, Fidesz, was a classic middle of the road liberal outfit – a proud member of the Liberal International where it now sits somewhat uneasily. However, Hungarians have always been more nationalistic than many Europeans as manifested in their almost unique language; their sense of national identity and solidarity goes back a long time. When Fidesz won an overwhelming majority in the 2010 parliamentary elections, Viktor Orban, now prime minister, started to put Hungary first. In the wake of the 2008 financial collapse he threw out the IMF and cancelled Hungary’s debt repayments in foreign currency thus lowering the pain for ordinary Hungarians. In 2011, he expelled Monsanto – Hungary has banned the use of GM crops – lowered fuel prices and, in the same year, changed the voting system to a mixed majority and proportional system modelled on Germany. A new constitution has reduced the number of MPs by half. Something must have gone right because in spring 2014’s parliamentary election, Fidesz again won an overall majority. All this took place against the back drop of a broken political order with most Hungarian parties, particularly on the left, scarred by corruption and failure. The ultra-right Jobbik remained as the only functioning opposition party, something unappealing to most right thinking people, including in Hungary.

Accusations of Orban’s “authoritarianism” have gone on for some time, bolstered by a growing number of NGOs in Budapest (mainly foreign funded and backed) as well as tame academics like Princeton’s Kim Lane Scheppele who has tied herself in knots trying to show that Fidesz’s successive victories at the polls (in 2014 alone the party overwhelmingly won parliamentary, local and European elections) were really failures! Perhaps this might just rumble along, going nowhere while – as in Prague – providing low level political gossip for the chattering classes in Budapest to feed on, were it not for Orban’s rather bold foreign policy moves in the past year.

In January 2014 he announced that a deal had been reached with Russia to fund the expansion of Hungary’s Paks nuclear facility. As the Ukrainian events unfolded and energy security came under the spotlight, this could have been viewed as strategic foresight. Not so; the Americans were now very angry. On top of this, when sanctions came up for discussion after the Crimean annexation, Orban balked at implementing them: “Why should Hungary ‘shoot itself in the foot,’” he said. Like Fico, he dragged his heels over providing Ukraine with reverse flow gas from Hungary’s reserves. As the hate campaign against Putin entered the stratosphere, Viktor remained committed to participating in the South Stream gas project which only came undone when Bulgaria, the weakest link in the chain, pulled out followed by Russia itself redirecting the pipeline to Turkey. According to observers on the ground in Budapest, Orban was now being “warned” by the Cosa Nostra in Washington that he was going “too far.”

At this time, Hungary was without a US ambassador. Colleen Bell, a producer of TV soap operas, was stuck in the congressional vetting process, so finger wagging was left to the Chargé d’Affaires in Budapest, André Goodfriend. Goodfriend has an impressive CV for such a lowly diplomat and his excursions into Hungarian political life, including the now formulaic support for LGBT events, have been high profile culminating in the announcement that six members of the Hungarian government were to be sanctioned and prevented from visiting the US. No names were mentioned but rumours abounded as to the whys and wherefores of the decision.

What to do? With a hopelessly divided and weak opposition given the implosion of the Hungarian Socialists who backed EU-demanded austerity all the way, and with the paramilitary, ultra-nationalist Jobbik as the only substantial alternative to Orban’s party, all that remains is to split Fidesz in the hope of producing something more compliant. On 23rd October, 2014, as if on cue, the BBC’s long time Budapest correspondent, Nick Thorpe, reported that “cracks” were appearing in the ruling party although he failed to put any substance behind the allegation, or name names.[4] Otherwise, there are the NGOs of which there are numerous as well as blogs and online publications which trash Orban and the Fidesz government. In September 2014, the authorities in Budapest cracked down on the Ökotárs Foundation, which disbursed grants to local NGOs from Norway. In a way, this was quite a clever ruse as it followed an expose in the New York Times detailing Norway’s many involvements in influence peddling via NGO in Washington.[5]

Do these expressions of dissent in Prague, Bratislava and Budapest mean that the Euro-Atlanticist order that has ruled the post-communist world so comprehensively since the early 1990s is under threat? Not quite: in the end, even Orban caved in to Brussels’ demand for sanctions against Russia. He still maintains that Hungary is a loyal EU and NATO member. Ditto, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. But, there does seem to be a change in the air. After years filled with allegations of corruption, most political parties in Central Europe are morally bankrupt and derided by local populations. Massaging election results is becoming more difficult when parties acceptable to Brussels and Washington can barely make single percentage points. In the Czech Republic, Ano 11 is heading in the same direction as Fidesz with the prospect of getting overall control of parliament in the next parliamentary elections. Another headache for Washington looms if that happens.

These unexpected shifts away from former subservience in the Central European heartland of Euro-conformity may explain why many of the old anti-communists from the era of perestroika and glasnost are being brought out and dusted down. On 11th December, the Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA) “the only US think-tank dedicated to the study of Central and Eastern Europe” announced it was beefing up its membership with many formidable regime change figures including Toomas Hendrik Ilves, Anne Applebaum, Carl Bildt, Eliot A. Cohen, and Timothy Garton Ash.[6] It is hard to see these old regime change advocates changing much without resources to put into play, but remember the successful application of their policies after 1989 resulted in socio-economic collapse and mass emigration from Poland and Baltic States where they were most influential. Does Central Europe want to repeat that implosion by following these horsemen of the apocalypse? It is unlikely that Central Europeans other than the sponsored demonstrators will be asked.

Notes:
    [1] The US embassy was listed at the top of the backers of the protest in a leaflet handed out as the procession marched by. This so-called “Prague Maidan” was an obvious imitation of the protests in Kiev’s main square a year ago which toppled the Ukrainian president.
    [2] Ano is short for the Action of Dissatisfied Citizens (Akce nespokojených občanů). "Ano" also means "yes" in Czech. The party was founded in 2011.
    [3] Fidesz has also been accused of co-opting Hungary’s former secret policemen
    [4] Nick Thorpe “Hungary’s Fidesz: Cracks emerge in ruling party” BBC 23rd October, 2014 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29740030
    [5] http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/us...anks.html?_r=0
    [6] See the CEPA press release: http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/1111079/ea59c56522/ARCHIVE

Christine Stone is co-author of Post-Communist Georgia: A Short History.

Copyright © 2014 by RonPaul Institute. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit and a live link are given.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 12-16-2014 at 08:47 PM.

Wow, that's a wall of text!

More evidence that the Czechs are not appropriately subservient to the global masters?

The EU is losing the war over South-Eastern Europe + Czech/Slovakia.They have put all their power to take down Russia but they are just opening a door for the Chinese. The population is losing faith in the EU rapidly and with even more bankruptcies looming it is just a matter of time before everything falls apart.They may have managed to buy off the Bulgarians against the Russians but now the Chinese are buying Greek ports and plan to build an entire network of fast cargo lines from the Aegean to the Baltic and a second one directly from China trough Russia to Poland and the Balkans.

The EU is not the USA where they can put their hope on the fact that states will work against their interest to help other states.If countries in the south-east and central Europe have anything to gain they will drop the EU in a minute.

The EU is losing the war over South-Eastern Europe + Czech/Slovakia.They have put all their power to take down Russia but they are just opening a door for the Chinese. The population is losing faith in the EU rapidly and with even more bankruptcies looming it is just a matter of time before everything falls apart.They may have managed to buy off the Bulgarians against the Russians but now the Chinese are buying Greek ports and plan to build an entire network of fast cargo railroad lines from the Aegean to the Baltic and a second one directly from China trough Russia to Poland and the Balkans.

The EU is not the USA where they can put their hope on the fact that states will work against their interest to help other states.If countries in the south-east and central Europe have anything to gain they will drop the EU in a minute.
    Last edited by Demigod; 12-16-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    h/t Lew Rockwell @ LRC: http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/good-news-for-once/

After Ukraine: Are the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary Veering Off the NATO/EU Reservation?
    http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...u-reservation/
    Christine Stone (15 December 2014)

Prague "red card" protest, Nov. 2014.

Despite the firmness shown by the EU’sbiggest players when it comes to sanctioning Putin’s Russia, lower down the pecking order some member states are not happy. Unlike the most craven and obedient puppets — the Baltic States and Poland — it took some arm twisting to get the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary to agree to punish Moscow for annexing Crimea. Each country is dependent for much of its energy on Russia with which there are also valued economic ties. Why rock the boat? Despite hyperbole claiming that Vladimir Putin was intent on taking them over and rebuilding the iron curtain, in reality, Russia has been an unproblematic neighbour for a quarter of a century.

Could these ripples of discontent with the famed Washington consensus develop into something more troubling for both the US and Brussels? What can they do about it? All three countries are members of both NATO and the EU. Promoting regime change inside the Euro-Atlantic tentsurely becomes more problematic. Or, does it? Let us examine each case separately and see what the auguries bode.

On 17th November 2014, it was drab and raining in Prague as the Czechs celebrated 25 years since the so-called “velvet revolution,” unlike the classic freezing, East European winter day of 17th November 1989. Demonstrations to mark the event were slated to take place and a mass of candles filled the passage way on Národní Třida (National Street) where student “Martin Šmid” died at the hands of the police, an event that was said to have triggered the collapse of the communist regime. But, hold on: it soon emerged that Martin Šmid didn’t exist; he had been invented by the Czechoslovak security services, the St. B. (Státní Bezpečnost) as part of a ploy to bring a new, reformed post-communist regime to power.

Emoting over a death that never took place seems weird but, in a way it sums up the banality that lays at the heart of all things connected with the “velvet” events. This was only reinforced later in the day when a group of anti-capitalist protesters snaked its way through the city centre wearing papier maché masks, some bearing the image of the evil Putin, others the reviled (at least, by the local cogniscenti) Czech president, Miloš Zeman. A few Ukrainian flags brought up the rear. Other banners denounced Ecuador’s left wing president, Rafael Correa, hardly a household name in Prague.[1] As the hundred or so protesters passed the Rudolfinum concert hall, a group of elderly rock musicians with lank, grey hair plugged away at some ancient protest songs watched by a handful of leather clad biker types.

Over the river, at Prague castle, a more serious group had been gathering during the afternoon: students bent on delivering a message to President Zeman that it was time to go. They did this by leaving a trail of red cards inside the presidential palace complex (the red card is used in football matches to send a player off the pitch). Several hundred protesters ended up under the ceremonial balcony demanding Zeman leave. Fluttering over the courtyard was the presidential flag denoting that Zeman was in residence. It is difficult to imagine such protests taking place in front of the White House or 10 Downing Street but, no one tried to remove the students who did not, to be fair, behave in a violent or intimidating manner. However, there had been scuffles earlier in the day at a “velvet revolution” ceremony attended by various European dignitaries, including Germany’s President Gauck. When students pelted Zeman (who was protected by an umbrella) with eggs one misdirected andmanaged to hit Gauck.

What, then, has caused the animus against Zeman? The president is a rather shambolic figure who, his detractors allege, besmirches his office by drinking heavily and speaking “off the cuff” (he even smokes and is regularly photographed with a lighted cigarette as if to highlight his malevolence).

As long time leader of the Czech Social Democrats and a former prime minister, Zeman earned the ire of the chattering classes by joining a coalition with former president Vaclav Klaus between 1998 and 2002. By then, Klaus had developed a healthy scepticism towards the EU and both men opposed US sponsored wars in Kosovo and later Iraq which led to their being anathematized by Brussels and Washington and, by extension, the local bien pensants, whose hero ex-dissident Vaclav Havel was the first Czech to advocate bombarding Belgrade since the Good Soldier Sweijk in 1914! When Klaus’s term ended in 2012, such people assumed that their candidate, Prince Kari Schwarzenberg, would be effortlessly elected to replace him. However, even though the Czech Republic is the repository of much Hapsburg charm in the form of castles and cultural artefacts, the electorate consists of a majority of post- communist bumpkins unlikely to feel represented by a Knight of the Golden Fleece. 54.8 percent voted for Zeman while 45.2 percent (mainly in Prague) chose Schwarzenberg.

As the role is mainly ceremonial, the president could have been ignored but Zeman has chosen to speak out on numerous occasions and in ways to infuriate his imperial masters. He has regularly demanded normal relations with Putin’s Russia, called the Ukrainian crisis a “civil war” and then, in a radio interview categorised Mikhail Khodorkovsky as a criminal while reminding listeners of the double entendre involved in the moniker “Pussy Riot.” Despite their usual boasts of über-liberal sexual mores, the intellectual elite of Prague expressed outrage at this outburst of vulgarity. “They don’t like him because he’s naughty,” a young reporter from Czech Television said of the student protesters. “How can we have a president like that,” they moan. “He must go”.

Added to their woes has been the seemingly inexorable rise of a new political party, Ano 11[2], which came a close second in the 2013 parliamentary election and is now in coalition with the Social Democrats. Many people take it for granted that Ano’s founder, the billionaire Andrej Babiš, now the country’s minister of finance, will end up as prime minister; the party did well in autumn, 2014 local elections. What, then, is wrong with Ano 11?

According to the Czech media (and the Euro-American oriented elite) Babiš is a Berlusconi clone, boss of one of the Czech Republic’s largest conglomerates, Agrofert, who, like Berlusconi, is also buying up media outlets. Ano is composed of old secret policemen and headed by Informer-in-Chief, Babiš.[3] A Slovak by origin, Babiš took the allegations to court and was cleared, but the rumours have persisted as has the intention to appeal. However, it seems clear that, apart from the twitterings of the Prague elite, ordinary Czechs are not particularly concerned by such allegations nearly 30 years after the Communists fell from
    power. Anyway, many of the alleged Ano nest of spies and informers were too young at the time of their “service” to have been very important cogs in the machine. All this is a smoke screen. Babiš has trodden on various entrenched local interests. He has also supported the extension of nuclear power in the Czech Republic which has angered the EU’sgenerously subsidised renewables lobby which probably sees the troubles with Russian gas as a golden opportunity to cash in.

Are things any better, more reliable from the Euro-Atlantic perspective, in neighbouring Slovakia? The answer is: not entirely. Slovakia has thrown up politicians frowned upon by the West since its independence was secured by Vladimir Mečiar in 1993. Milan Knažko, an old “sixty eighter” and sometime dissident feared that all the elderly would have to die off before Mečiar finally exited the stage. “Slovaks are stupid,” he said. But, it took twenty years to eliminate Mečiar as a political force only for him to be replaced by another “populist,” Robert Fico, whose leftish Smer (Direction) party won an overall victory in the last Slovak election in 2012. Fico has criticised the EU’s sanctions on Russia and seems to have been forced against his will to implement them, as well as allowing the reverse flow of gas to Ukraine from Slovakia’s own reserves. Of course, his hands are tied as Slovakia is a member of the EU and the single currency. Nevertheless, the empire demands 100 percent obedience, nothing less. Fico stood as a candidate in the March 2014 presidential elections but was surprisingly beaten by a maverick outsider, businessman Andrej Kiska, who made what is described as his “fortune” in hire purchase. Unlike Babiš, his business back ground is regarded as a plus rather than an exercise in predatory capitalism. He is popular with the elites both at home and in Brussels (unlike Fico) and will be an ideal advocate for pushing Slovakia in the “right” direction, for example, by recognising Kosovan independence, something it has refused so far to do to avoid trouble with its restless Hungarian minority.

But, nothing said or done by politicians in Prague and Bratislava equal the level of disobedience that has been coming from further down the Danube in Hungary. There, Prime Minister Viktor Orban has adopted an openly defiant position on a range of issues that have infuriated the EU. But even more dangerously for his long term survival, he has fallen into the cross hairs of Washington. Since summer 2014, demonstrations regularly take place on some pretext or other against the Orban government and long-term regime change watchers can only debate how the situation will finally be resolved. Supporters are confident Orban will survive as he is “popular,” but that never stopped the engine of regime change. Viktor Yanukovich’s party handily won elections in 2012 but he was deposed a year later; the hugely popular Hugo Chavez and Muammar Gaddafi both ended up dead.

Budapest protest, Oct. 2014. Photo: András D. Hajdú.

Viktor Orban has come a long way from the days of his Soros scholarship at Pembroke College, Oxford. His party, Fidesz, was a classic middle of the road liberal outfit – a proud member of the Liberal International where it now sits somewhat uneasily. However, Hungarians have always been more nationalistic than many Europeans as manifested in their almost unique language; their sense of national identity and solidarity goes back a long time. When Fidesz won an overwhelming majority in the 2010 parliamentary elections, Viktor Orban, now prime minister, started to put Hungary first. In the wake of the 2008 financial collapse he threw out the IMF and cancelled Hungary’s debt repayments in foreign currency thus lowering the pain for ordinary Hungarians. In 2011, he expelled Monsanto – Hungary has banned the use of GM crops – lowered fuel prices and, in the same year, changed the voting system to a mixed majority and proportional system modelled on Germany. A new constitution has reduced the number of MPs by half. Something must have gone right because in spring 2014’s parliamentary election, Fidesz again won an overall majority. All this took place against the back drop of a broken political order with most Hungarian parties, particularly on the left, scarred by corruption and failure. The ultra-right Jobbik remained as the only functioning opposition party, something unappealing to most right thinking people, including in Hungary.

Accusations of Orban’s “authoritarianism” have gone on for some time, bolstered by a growing number of NGOs in Budapest (mainly foreign funded and backed) as well as tame academics like Princeton’s Kim LaneScheppele who has tied herself in knots trying to show that Fidesz’s successive victories at the polls (in 2014 alone the party overwhelmingly won parliamentary, local and European elections) were really failures! Perhaps this might just rumble along, going nowhere while – as in Prague – providing low level political gossip for the chattering classes in Budapest to feed on, were it not for Orban’s rather bold foreign policy moves in the past year.

In January 2014 he announced that a deal had been reached with Russia to fund the expansion of Hungary’s Paks nuclear facility. As the Ukrainian events unfolded and energy security came under the spotlight, this could have been viewed as strategic foresight. Not so; the Americans were now very angry. On top of this, when sanctions came up for discussion after the Crimean annexation, Orban baulked at implementing them: “Why should Hungary ‘shoot itself in the foot,’” he said. Like Fico, he dragged his heels over providing Ukraine with reverse flow gas from Hungary’s reserves. As the hate campaign against Putin entered the stratosphere, Viktor remained committed to participating in the South Stream gas project which only came undone when Bulgaria, the weakest link in the chain, pulled out followed by Russia itself redirecting the pipeline to Turkey. According to observers on the ground in Budapest, Orban was now being “warned” by the Cosa Nostra in Washington that he was going “too far.”

At this time, Hungary was without a US ambassador. Colleen Bell, a producer of TV soap operas, was stuck in the congressional vetting process, so finger wagging was left to the Chargé d’Affaires in Budapest, André Goodfriend. Goodfriend has an impressive CV for such a lowly diplomat and his excursions into Hungarian political life, including the now formulaic support for LGBT events, have been high profile culminating in the announcement that six members of the Hungarian government were to be sanctioned and prevented from visiting the US. No names were mentioned but rumours abounded as to the whys and wherefores of the decision.

What to do? With a hopelessly divided and weak opposition given the implosion of the Hungarian Socialists who backed EU-demanded austerity all the way, and with the paramilitary, ultra-nationalist Jobbik as the only substantial alternative to Orban’s party, all that remains is to split Fidesz in the hope of producing something more compliant. On 23rd October, 2014, as if on cue, the BBC’s long time Budapest correspondent, Nick Thorpe, reported that “cracks” were appearing in the ruling party although he failed to put any substance behind the allegation, or name names.[4] Otherwise, there are the NGOs of which there are numerous as well as blogs and online publications which trash Orban and the Fidesz government. In September 2014, the authorities in Budapest cracked down on the Ökotárs Foundation, which disbursed grants to local NGOs from Norway. In a way, this was quite a clever ruse as it followed an expose in the New York Times detailing Norway’s many involvements in influence peddling via NGO in Washington.[5]

Do these expressions of dissent in Prague, Bratislava and Budapest mean that the Euro-Atlanticist order that has ruled the post-communist world so comprehensively since the early 1990s is under threat? Not quite: in the end, even Orban caved in to Brussels’ demand for sanctions against Russia. He still maintains that Hungary is a loyal EU and NATO member. Ditto, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. But, there does seem to be a change in the air. After years filled with allegations of corruption, most political parties in Central Europe are morally bankrupt and derided by local populations. Massaging election results is becoming more difficult when parties acceptable to Brussels and Washington can barely make single percentage points. In the Czech Republic, Ano 11 is heading in the same direction as Fidesz with the prospect of getting overall control of parliament in the next parliamentary elections. Another headache for Washington looms if that happens.

These unexpected shifts away from former subservience in the Central European heartland of Euro-conformity may explain why many of the old anti-communists from the era of perestroika and glasnost are being brought out and dusted down.On 11th December, the Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA) “the only US think-tank dedicated to the study of Central and Eastern Europe” announced it was beefing up its membership with many formidable regime change figures including Toomas Hendrik Ilves, Anne Applebaum, Carl Bildt,Eliot A. Cohen,and Timothy Garton Ash.[6] It is hard to see these old regime change advocates changing much without resources to put into play, but remember the successful application of their policies after 1989 resulted in socio-economic collapse and mass emigration from Poland and Baltic States where they were most influential. Does Central Europe want to repeat that implosion by following these horsemen of the apocalypse? It is unlikely that Central Europeans other than the sponsored demonstrators be asked.

Notes:
    [1] The US embassy was listed at the top of the backers of the protest in a leaflet handed out as the procession marched by. This so-called “Prague Maidan” was an obvious imitation of the protests in Kiev’s main square a year ago which toppled the Ukrainian president.
    [2] Ano is short for the Action of Dissatisfied Citizens (Akce nespokojených občanů). "Ano" also means "yes" in Czech. The party was founded in 2011.
    [3] Fidesz has also been accused of co-opting Hungary’s former secret policemen
    [4] Nick Thorpe “Hungary’s Fidesz: Cracks emerge in ruling party” BBC 23rd October, 2014 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29740030
    [5] http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/us...anks.html?_r=0
    [6] See, the CEPA press release: http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/1111079/ea59c56522/ARCHIVE

Christine Stone is co-author of Post-Communist Georgia: A Short History.

As usual its always the stupid protesters from the villages that NATO and NED that they find to bribe they are so easy because all they think about is money.

Regime change in Hungary coming soon?? You guys called this in November. You know what comes next? Government crackdown. Protesters become freedom fighters and an elected government gets over thrown. Libya, Egypt, Ukraine style?

Hungarian protesters hit out at Orban's 'move towards Russia'

Budapest (AFP) - Thousands of Hungarians protested Friday at what they see as the country's move towards Russia in the latest demonstration against the government of controversial Prime Minister Viktor Orban.

The crowd, estimated to be over 5,000 by an AFP photographer, brandished placards condemning Orban, whose support suffered a plunge in polls at the end of 2014 despite securing three election wins earlier in the year.

The demonstrators, who gathered in front of the Budapest opera house, voiced concern over what they see as Hungary drifting away from the West to forge closer ties with its former Communist ruler.

"It is disturbing to see that the Orban government is exposing Hungary to Russian influence," Robert Gombkoto, a 61-year-old manager, told AFP, citing a 10 billion euro ($12 billion) loan from Russia to Hungary to expanding a nuclear plant.

Others spoke of concern over the government's policy of centralisation in education and public administration.
    http://news.yahoo.com/hungarian-prot...201353130.html
    Last edited by twomp; 01-02-2015 at 04:11 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.