Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed Brooklyn Man Shot To Death After Startling NYPD Cops

Unarmed Brooklyn Man Shot To Death After Startling NYPD Cops

Officer safety was ensured, and the guy had been arrested 24 times -- so he obviously deserved it due to his past record.

An unarmed guy, committing no crime, killed by police because he startled them? There won't be any riots over that ...

Hopefully the cops at least suffered permanent hearing loss -- probably the only negative consequence they'll suffer. Though the rookie might get fired ...

http://nypost.com/2014/11/21/police-...klyn-building/

A rookie cop fatally shot an unarmed man inside a Brooklyn housing project late Thursday, authorities said.

The cop and his partner, also a rookie, were descending from a dimly lit eighth-floor stairwell at the Pink Houses at 2724 Linden Boulevard about 11:15 p.m. The 28-year-old victim, Akai Gurley, entered from the seventh floor with his girlfriend, startling the cops, police sources said.

The cop fired one shot into Gurley’s chest. He stumbled down to the fifth floor where he collapsed, sources said.

The girlfriend, Melissa Butler, 26, is distraught, her mother said.

“She keeps crying,” said Naomi Butler. “She’s very upset, she saw everything. Police shot him and we don’t know why. He doesn’t carry any firearms. He was just going back home, they were taking the stairs. He’s a nice man. He’s been together with my daughter for four years. He has one daughter as far as I know.”

snip

The victim has been arrested 24 times and has done time behind bars, sources said.

Both officers were treated for tinnitus at Jamaica Hospital, authorities said.

snip

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    only cops should have guns.

"Why did this heinous act of violence take place?" He asked why there are evil people in the world "who do not respect human life."- Father Thomas Muldowney, Pennsylvania State Police chaplain

Brianna Stefansky, from Shapsville, PA, said, "We don't know the danger they go through on a daily basis and what they put their lives on the line for, so everyone should give them a thanks, and not judge them or criticize them for the way they handle things."

"There's got to be a way for us to hold ourselves accountable absent putting cops in jail for making mistakes," he said.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

If homeboy was startled by the cop and shot johnny law in the chest?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    only cops should have guns.
    Again, to the idiot cop on the third line, there is a way. Biblical punishment for murder is DEATH.

Brianna is an idiot to, we've discussed why many times here.

As for that "chaplain" (Police and military chaplains have an idol for a master, rather than Christ, BTW) I don't know why Eric Frein did what he did. Its somewhat understandable why anyone would lash out at today's militarized police. And if that particular officer did something awful to him in the past, it may well be completely understandable. Of course, understanding motivations does not mean endorsement, contrary to what neocons say. I suspect that "chaplain" is too stupid to realize that as well.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

How I long for 1972, when a cop would be branded a gutless coward for shooting an unarmed citizen....or for that matter, an armed citizen that didn't pose an immediate threat to anyone.

And, in 1972, Kate Jackson was really hot.

Last edited by sparebulb; 11-21-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Cant wait to watch the murder trial... o wait.

I still to this day do not understand how qualified immunity does not create a super class of citizenship and thus violates the equal protection under the law clause. Had this been any non leo just walking in their apartment complex and they shot an unarmed man who made no hostel moves or actions towards them, they would be charges brought against them that day. Now all we'll see is paid leave and a police union snow storm about how they cant comment on an ongoing case. In a better world this would result in a trial and public "justice".
    Last edited by morfeeis; 11-21-2014 at 10:57 AM.

*sigh*

Just another day in the soyuz.

Fresh out of cop academy, with the training still buzzing in his ears:

"You are at war out there. Everyone you see is a potential hostile. Your safety is paramount. The circular force continuum is there to protect you."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It does.

Wee don't care.

Now, $#@! you , and move along. - Lt. Col. Friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
    Cant wait to watch the murder trial... o wait.

I still to this day do not understand how qualified immunity does not create a super class of citizenship and thus violates the equal protection under the law clause. Had this been any non leo just walking in their apartment complex and they shot an unarmed man who made no hostel moves or actions towards them, they would be charges brought against them that day. Now all we'll see is paid leave and a police union snow storm about how they cant comment on an ongoing case. In a better world this would result in a trial and public "justice".

'Totally innocent' unarmed 28yo 'accidentally' shot dead by NYPD police

AFP Photo / Timothy A. Clary

A rookie NYPD officer “accidentally” shot and killed an unarmed African-American man in a staircase in a New York apartment block. It happened as Ferguson is tensely waiting for a grand jury decision on a police officer who shot Michael Brown.

Akai Gurley, 28, and his girlfriend Melissa Butler were entering a staircase on the seventh floor in Pink House project in Brooklyn late Thursday evening when two policemen came down from the eighth floor. Peter Liang and his partner, Shaun Landau were doing a top-to-bottom patrol. Liang, a rookie on probationary assignment, fired a shot in Gurley’s chest without a warning, Butler said.

“They didn’t present themselves or nothing and shot him,” Butler told DNAinfo New York. “As soon as he came in, the police opened the [door to the] eighth-floor staircase. They didn’t identify themselves at all. They just shot.”

Gurley and Butler tried to go down the stairs but reached only the fifth floor where Gurley lost consciousness. There a neighbor called an ambulance. Butler says the policemen did not come to help nor called the ambulance. Gurley, who has a 2-year-old son, was pronounced dead on arrival to hospital.

Continued - 'Totally innocent' unarmed 28yo 'accidentally' shot dead by NYPD police
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-21-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Inside the mind of a SWAT cop.

Don't want to have negative contacts with the cops, don't live in the war zones of America.

Don't want to have negative contacts with the cops, don't live in the war zones of America.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-of-a-SWAT-cop

Just saw another report and read the one shot was center mass. they are clamming that it was an accident and that it was because he had his flash light in his right hand and his pistol in his left, they also tried to blame it on the guy being left handed (might at well burn him now right?).

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    An unarmed guy, committing no crime, killed by police because he startled them? There won't be any riots over that ...
    If CNN reported it 24x7, they could create some riots.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    If CNN reported it 24x7, they could create some riots.
    And the riots would be well-deserved, if they just targeted the right people (cops and their family members). Unfortunately though, innocents tend to be targeted instead.

There's a pretty lively street protest going on there now : http://new.livestream.com/accounts/10431662/wethepeople
    Last edited by SeanTX; 11-22-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Here in Ameяika, we only riot over the guilty. We don't actually care about the ones who are actually innocent.

"Officer safety". In 2013, 33 cops were killed in the line of duty. THIRTY-THREE.

In 2013, nearly 800 construction workers were killed while working. EIGHT HUNDRED.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    "Officer safety". In 2013, 33 cops were killed in the line of duty. THIRTY-THREE.

In 2013, nearly 800 construction workers were killed while working. EIGHT HUNDRED.
    In spite of the cops' never ending stream of lachrymose self aggrandizing, being a cop is actually a relatively safe profession, very seldom breaking into the top 10 or even 15 of most dangerous jobs.

I have worked all my life in the top three, and am fair tired of hearing about "how dangerous being a cop is".

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    The policemen did not come to help nor call the ambulance, a neighbor had to do this for them. People need to let that one sink in. To protect and serve...themselves that is!
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    The policemen did not come to help nor call the ambulance, a neighbor had to do this for them. People need to let that one sink in. To protect and serve...themselves that is!
    And don't forget, when cops shoot people they will often prevent bystanders and paramedics from administering first aid to the shooting victim -- by declaring that "the scene is not secure." This is murder -- and they get away with it.

The cops shouldn't do vertical sweeps of these buildings.

Seriously, just let the people in these buildings sort themselves out.

It was funny this morning on the news. The ACLU condemned the shooting, but even they were like "But we need the police to sweep these buildings several times a night."

I'd be more upset about it if I didn't know about that building and how that whole area would be a great place to build a giant fence and recreate the movie Escape From New York as a reality show.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Bratton called the “accident” a tragedy and blamed it on the poorly lit stairwell.

“As the officers were entering the eighth-floor landing, the lights were not operable,” he said. “Everything points to accidental discharge.”

Oh yes, it's never a Cop's fault. It's the building's fault. It's the fault of the poor stairwell lighting.

And of course.....Next time when you are walking down the stairs....Don't walk around the same flight of stairs as cops....Akai Gurley did this to himself..

I'll bet the lawyers are all lining up for a chance at this one.

Bratton called the “accident” a tragedy and blamed it on the poorly lit stairwell.

“As the officers were entering the eighth-floor landing, the lights were not operable,” he said. “Everything points to accidental discharge.”
    Imagine if a Mundane in NYC, carrying a pistol, tried that as an excuse.

"I blew him away because I could not see clearly".

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    And don't forget, when cops shoot people they will often prevent bystanders and paramedics from administering first aid to the shooting victim -- by declaring that "the scene is not secure." This is murder -- and they get away with it.
    indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    Oh yes, it's never a Cop's fault. It's the building's fault. It's the fault of the poor stairwell lighting.

And of course.....Next time when you are walking down the stairs....Don't walk around the same flight of stairs as cops....Akai Gurley did this to himself..
    File under curious grammar thread discussion. Good point!
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    Kind of like when Ft. Worth police went to the wrong house in a nice neighborhood and shot the man in his garage -- they blamed that on "poor lighting" too.

Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    indeed!

File under curious grammar thread discussion. Good point!
    Not to mention the man was shot. But what or whom he was shot who knows, apparently the cops were there and were startled by the man who was shot, but there is no indication in the headline that the cops were actually involved in the shooting.

Because, CYA is priority #1. Not trying to save the life of someone you just shot...

An officer involved in a fatal shooting in a Brooklyn project texted his union representative rather than immediately calling for medical assistance, according to a report in the New York Daily News.
    Quoting a number of unnamed law enforcement sources, the Daily News said that after the incident neither Liang nor his partner, Shaun Landau, could be reached by their superiors for more than six minutes. The New York police department (NYPD) reportedly learned of the incident from a neighbor’s 911 call, after which it attempted and failed to reach Liang and Landau.
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...bulance-report

28 arrests? That guy must break the law on a daily basis seemingly with no accountability. It kinda sucks that he got shot for basically nothing more than walking down a set of stairs, but you know what, people who break the law so often with so little regard for others kind of deserve to be shot.

I'm just glad the innocent law-abiding police officer is OK.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Ok we have BOTH Akai Gurley AND Eric Garner in the same city at the same time, and still no riots. So either 'people' prefer to riot over the guilty and ignore the innocent, or that behavior is being driven by another source such as the Big6 Media.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Do you just pull the cops out and let the people fend for themselves? Get appleseed courses started? I'm trying to rationalize a solution here. I would like to see these communities take responsibility, but that's easier said than done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast