Thread: Jim Webb (D) launches 2016 committee

Jim Webb (D) launches 2016 committee

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/1...ee-113055.html

Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb became the first well-known Democrat to launch an exploratory committee to run for president on Wednesday night, saying the nation is at a “serious crossroads.”

“I have decided to launch an Exploratory Committee to examine whether I should run for President in 2016,” Webb said in a four-page letter on his website, Webb2016.

“I made this decision after reflecting on numerous political commentaries and listening to many knowledgeable people. I look forward to listening and talking with more people in the coming months as I decide whether or not to run.”

The Vietnam veteran added, “A strong majority of Americans agree that we are at a serious crossroads. In my view the solutions are not simply political, but those of leadership. I learned long ago on the battlefields of Vietnam that in a crisis, there is no substitute for clear-eyed leadership.”

Webb, who was Ronald Reagan’s Navy secretary and who has held centrist views on a number of issues, has been bolstered by progressive news outlet The Nation as a potential challenge from the left to Hillary Clinton, the dominant front-runner who hasn’t yet said if she will launch a second national campaign.

“With enough financial support to conduct a first-class campaign, I have no doubt that we can put these issues squarely before the American people and gain their support,” said Webb, acknowledging his underdog status against a likely Clinton fundraising juggernaut.

“The 2016 election is two years away, but serious campaigning will begin very soon. The first primaries are about a year away. Your early support will be crucial as I evaluate whether we might overcome what many commentators see as nearly impossible odds.”

He did not mention Clinton’s name in the letter.
    Head neo-Trot at neo-Trot Central is in denial about how attractive this guy will be next to the neo-Trot Queen in blue. He'll get the Reagan Dems and independents.

hxxp://hotair.com/archives/2014/11/20/video-jim-webb-launches-presidential-bid/

His letter never mentions Hillary’s name, though. In fact, as Daniel Halper notes at the Weekly Standard, Webb’s statement never actually makes explicit which party’s nomination he’s seeking, although the context of this passage makes it implicitly clear:

The Democratic Party used to be the place where people like these could come not for a handout but for an honest handshake, good full-time jobs, quality education, health care they can afford, and the vital, overriding belief that we’re all in this together and the system is not rigged.

We can get there again. The American Dream does survive.
    Buzzfeed’s Ruby Cramer considers that a signal to the Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic Party:

The 14-minute monologue suggests Webb’s message to Democratic voters could have a working-class, progressive bent. In the video, he described the Democratic Party as a group that used to be defined by a “vital, overriding belief that we’re all in this together and the system is not rigged.”

The phrase — that the system, or game, is “rigged” — echoes a common tagline by Sen. Elizabeth Warren, the popular progressive who has said repeatedly that she is not planning on running for president, despite appeals from the left.
    Because it IS rigged! Establishment Neo-Trots and their dupes and tools are why we can't have nice things.

Given that, it’s difficult to figure how seriously to take this bid. He doesn’t have much of a following any longer, having been all but absent for the last two years. He didn’t campaign significantly for Barack Obama in 2012, if at all, nor did he do anything for Democrats in this cycle — even though Webb tried grabbing attention a couple of times this year about his 2016 aspirations. Webb seems to think that it’s still 2006 and the Left will draft him again without having to do any of the party-building work necessary for most serious contenders, such as Hillary Clinton. She may not have been effective in this cycle, but she and Bill hit the campaign trail and tried to get Democrats elected, as did Warren, Joe Biden, Martin O’Malley, and other Democrats who might be looking at a bid. Webb’s sat out campaigning since the 2008 election for Obama.
    LOL He acts like sitting out campaigning for those epic failures is a bad thing. The electorate will see that as a big plus. It's also funny that he's accusing him of living in 2006 since, for Trots, every day is 9/11, and every year is 2001 and 1936 simultaneously.
    Last edited by Lucille; 11-20-2014 at 10:19 AM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://reason.com/blog/2014/11/20/ji...6-presidential

Anyway, though Webb is seen as a longshot (even by Webb), his candidacy matters in terms of what the Democratic Party's post-Obama identity is going to look like. His comments do not advocate for a continuation of Obama's policies, even though he makes comments about income inequality that could have come straight from the president's mouth (or any other Democratic politician). He doesn't intend to try to ride in on Obama's coattails.

Webb isn't Elizabeth Warren, but his positions fall more on the Democratic progressive populism side of the party rather than Hillary Clinton's Democratic establishment support for interventionism from the left. He takes anti-war positions, but he is also a Vietnam War veteran (maybe "but" should be "because" there). As Elizabeth Nolan Brown noted in September, it's been Obama's abuse of authority in the Middle East that has been pushing him to consider his run.

Over at The Week, Michael Tracey thinks Webb's progressive economic populism combined with his military background and anti-war positions would make him the perfect alternative to Clinton in the primaries
    :

Foreign policy is Webb's main strength. Remember that during the storied 2008 Democratic presidential primary, the defining issue seized on with great effect by Barack Obama was then-Sen. Clinton's vote to authorize military force against Saddam Hussein. And wouldn't you know it, here we are again, embarking on another military offensive of indeterminate length — one that very much includes "boots on the ground."

By the time the 2016 Iowa caucus rolls around, the U.S. may well still be mired in Iraq and Syria (and who knows where else?). Clinton, as Obama's secretary of State, is widely reputed to have been one of the administration's foremost interventionist agitators, producing disillusionment among anti-war grassroots Democrats who will probably take an active role in the primaries. This contingent is unlikely to accept the coronation of Hillary the Hawk without a fight.
    He's also a strong voice for criminal justice reform, and as a senator proposed a commission to examine issues related to mass incarceration. As a candidate he could be fighting for the same independent voters that Sen. Rand Paul might go for should he get the Republican nod. But that assumes Webb is able to fight past the massive establishment machine that will be supporting Clinton.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

I think he is too old and boring to attract significant support. I don't even think he could beat Warren or Biden who are both more talented politicians. The effort is amateurish and he's way behind the curve to get the nomination which will require a national brand he has not built. He can probably get on stage and sell some books, but Santorum has a better chance of getting a major party nomination than this guy.
    Last edited by mwkaufman; 11-20-2014 at 12:19 PM.

She may not have been effective in this cycle, but she and Bill hit the campaign trail and tried to get Democrats elected, as did Warren, Joe Biden, Martin O’Malley, and other Democrats who might be looking at a bid.
    And there's that name, yet again. I've got a really bad feeling about this.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Here's his youtube announcement:

I've been saying for months that this guy will pose a threat to Rand for the independent vote in open-primary states. good to see someone at Reason has picked up on that too.

And here's a speech he gave from a couple months ago. It's about an hour.

He voted YAY! on Barry's Big Fascist Medical System, which will be causing even more pain for the people over the next few years.

Retiring Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA) says his biggest regret is ObamaCare and the ObamaCare debate.

CHUCK TODD: Alright Senator Webb, here's the question that goes out to many departing lawmakers... Is there any one vote you would want back if you could do it all over again?

JIM WEBB: My great regret on that is that I believe the whole health care issue could have been handled differently by the Administration, and over here. I think the way that the process was put forward - without a clear set of principles from the Administration - caused a lot of fear in the country. We had seven different - or five different - committees boiling up 7000 pages of contradictory information at a time when the country went - it was in a recession - and people were talking about this other stuff.

TODD: Do you regret...?

WEBB: No... in the end
    , I voted with the Republicans 18 times, but in the end, I voted for it. I thought, we do need to move forward. We need to find different ways to work with these issues, but could have had a smaller, more focused package, and the country would have been more comfortable with the process as well.
    Didn't regret it in '12. I wonder if he does now? And did he also know, as Gillibrand so helpfully confessed, that they "all knew" Obama was lying through his teeth?
    --Albert J. Nock

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...for-president/

Assuming that Webb is able to drum up some substantial support in the coming months, his entry into the race should be very good and healthy for the Democratic Party and the country. There had to be someone in the primaries ready and able to hold Clinton accountable for her poor judgments on policy, and there needed to be someone qualified to make her earn a nomination that has so far been treated as her dynastic inheritance. Even an unsuccessful challenge will force Clinton to face up to the mistakes on her record, and it will offer Democratic voters a serious alternative to the establishment favorite. For reasons that Kelley Vlahos made clear in her article today on Hillary Clinton, Webb’s announcement is especially welcome news for anyone interested in reforming and improving our foreign policy and national security policies. In particular, I look forward to hearing him criticize the Libyan war along these lines:
    The logic that we used to go in was different than any situation that I can remember in terms of the use of force. There were no treaties at risk, there were no Americans at risk, there were no terrorist attacks coming out of Libya … in the name of what was called ‘humanitarian intervention’–this was the new concept that was enunciated–we established a new concept that the president can unilaterally decide what humanitarian conditions are, anywhere in the world.
    Webb has the most credibility and the best qualifications on the Democratic side to oppose Clinton on these issues, and those are the issues on which she most needs to be challenged.
    --Albert J. Nock

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jack Webb expected to announce by Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by mwkaufman View Post
    I think he is too old and boring to attract significant support.
    He looks damn good for 68.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    He looks damn good for 68.
    He does, but it's more about style and delivery than looks. He speaks slowly and referencing working with the Reagan administration isn't going to help him with the Democratic base as it might have twenty years ago.

He does, but it's more about style and delivery than looks. He speaks slowly and referencing working with the Reagan administration isn't going to help him with the Democratic base as it might have twenty years ago.
    The Koz Kidz are having a collective temper tantrum.

hxxp://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/11/20/1346126/-Jim-Webb-is-running-ish-for-president-because-bipartisanship-and-Democratic-handouts-are-bad
    --Albert J. Nock

Is it 2008?
    "We have nothing to fear except our own unwillingness to defend what is naturally ours, our God-given rights. We have nothing to fear that should cause us to forget or relinquish our rights as free men and women. To thrive, we must believe in ourselves again, and we must never, never trade our liberty for any fleeting promise of security." - Rand Paul

Well. If Clinton does run, looks like she wouldn't be the only one after all.

I've been wanting him in a Rand administration. Maybe it still happens.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think he ever said in that announcement that he's committed to running as a Democrat. He might try to run as an independent.

I think he is too old and boring to attract significant support. I don't even think he could beat Warren or Biden who are both more talented politicians. The effort is amateurish and he's way behind the curve to get the nomination which will require a national brand he has not built. He can probably get on stage and sell some books, but Santorum has a better chance of getting a major party nomination than this guy.
    I dunno. Biden, Hillary and Warren could all crash and burn. I don't think the Dems are smart enough to run Webb, but he is formidable.

I dunno. Biden, Hillary and Warren could all crash and burn. I don't think the Dems are smart enough to run Webb, but he is formidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gage View Post
    Is it 2008?
    Yes, and Jim Gilmore and Tommy Thompson are set to form exploratory committees. Also Chris Dodd is coming out swinging.
    Last edited by anaconda; 11-21-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt150 View Post
    I think you may be onto something, here. I have a feeling that the Democrats are gonna have to recruit a newbie that fits their MO and try to pump him/her as the new rock star and hope they don't have any skeletons and can remember the name of three federal departments if they go slightly off script.

O'Malley is all I can come up with at the moment. But he needs to stay out of bars where people have cell phone cameras and stop nodding off in meetings with passionate constituents. Warren appears to be a complete ditz so she's probably out.

I would be very interested to hear forum members predictions for Dem nominees in lieu of the usual suspects.
    Last edited by anaconda; 11-21-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I think you may be onto something, here. I have a feeling that the Democrats are gonna have to recruit a newbie that fits their MO and try to pump him/her as the new rock star and hope they don't have any skeletons and can remember the name of three federal departments if they go slightly off script.

O'Malley is all I can come up with at the moment. But he needs to stay out of bars where people have cell phone cameras and stop nodding off in meetings with passionate constituents. Warren appears to be a complete ditz so she's probably out.

I would be very interested to hear forum members predictions for Dem nominees in lieu of the usual suspects.

Sadly, I think you're right about o'malley. His name keeps getting mentioned more and more, and I personally find that scary. He's always gotten a free pass from the media, all the way back to his days on the Baltimore City Council. He could be elected on charisma and looks alone. And he's as corrupt as they come. Perfect for a repeat of the 2007-8 democrat playbook.

And in the post previous, you forgot sam brownback! Can't forget about him!
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Politicians are exactly like HOLLYWOOD actors... they can never get enough LimeLight and Attention. Narcissism breeds from the top down and the script has been written to venerated government leaders in today's Aristocracy...

PS: ...as they rob you!
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    Politicians are exactly like HOLLYWOOD actors... they can never get enough LimeLight and Attention. Narcissism breeds from the top down and the script has been written to venerated government leaders in today's Aristocracy...

PS: ...as they rob you!
    I love the movies. Action movies in particular. They're what motivated me to join the agency.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We've never had a red-haired president yet have we?

Quote Originally Posted by randomname View Post
    His hair used to be darker brown. It's changing as he is getting older.

Quote Originally Posted by randomname View Post
    Yes, we have. George Washington was a redhead. So was Thomas Jefferson.

And Van Buren was known as "the Red Fox of Kinderhook" because of his red hair and political cunning.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

He doesn't hate white people, and that's evidently a problem for progs.

Is Jim Webb for real?
    Liberals like him now, but wait until they hear what’s on his mind.
    http://news.yahoo.com/is-jim-webb-fo...184608862.html
    Webb’s recent announcement that he was taking the first official step toward a 2016 presidential bid nonetheless set off a round of commentary about the contrast between him and his former Senate colleague. On the FiveThirtyEight blog, Harry Enten concluded that Webb could be “the ideal Clinton challenger.” Al Hunt of Bloomberg News said Webb could be Clinton’s “worst nightmare,” while William Greider wrote in The Nation that Webb might become “a pivotal messenger” for the left.
    [...]
    And despite what he may say about not comparing himself to Clinton, Webb has the beginnings of a two-pronged progressive critique. On economic policy, Webb will say the party — personified by the Clintons — has been too much in the grasp of big financial institutions and too little beholden to wage earners. He’s a little like Elizabeth Warren this way, only with more backwoods steel than Cambridge preachiness.

He’s also a sharp critic of the foreign policies pursued by both George W. Bush and Barack Obama, which he says have led us into wars — and kept us in them — without clear objectives or strategies. This puts him squarely at odds with Clinton, the former secretary of state, who was known to be one of the administration’s more ardent interventionists.
    [...]
    All that will sound pretty enticing to liberals looking for some viable alternative, and it should. But then you come around to Webb’s long-held and thoughtful views on the party’s core theme of social justice. And here’s where that whole savior-of-the-left thing gets a little complicated.

Democrats, as you probably know, have been losing white voters, and especially white male voters, by pretty staggering margins in recent elections, particularly in rural parts of the country. According to exit polling, the party’s candidates won only 34 percent of white men last November; the 30-point spread between the two parties was the largest in 20 years.

Go to any activist meeting or liberal dinner party, and chances are you will hear a pretty consistent narrative to explain this trend. Basically, it goes like this: White men, and especially Southern white men, are just inherently racist and afraid of social change, and so they’re easily manipulated by Republicans and have turned their backs on Obama. But that’s really OK, because the demographics of the country are rapidly shifting, and very soon there will be enough black and Latino voters — not to mention women of all races — to tip the balance of any national election into the Democratic column.

Webb finds this theory downright offensive. In his view, Democrats have focused so much of their rhetoric and their programs on racial minorities that they’ve basically forgotten about all those white, working-class voters who face some of the same economic hardships but feel like all the focus is on the poor.

“I think this is where Democrats screw up, you know?” Webb told me. “I think that they have kind of unwittingly used this group, white working males, as a whipping post for a lot of their policies. And then when they react, they say they’re being racist.”

Back in 2010, under a Wall Street Journal headline that referred to the “myth of white privilege,” Webb called for an end to federal affirmative action programs, saying they no longer helped African-Americans and only served to embitter white voters. More recently, including in our conversation, he has obliquely assailed “interest groups” that divide the parties by race.
    --Albert J. Nock

Virginia has two Democrat Senators who would be formidable against Hillary Clinton. I actually think that Mark Warner would be the stronger between him and Webb, because he's incredibly likable.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined