Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can You Out-Exercise Bad Eating Habits?

Can You Out-Exercise Bad Eating Habits?

"I work out so I can eat whatever I want."

Consider those the famous last words uttered by formerly thin guys everywhere.

"A lot of people think if they eat an extra 300 calories they can work it off, but that’s not the case," says Holly Lofton, M.D., director of weight management at NYU Langone Medical Center.

Why? Well, while exercise can certainly help mediate the damage done by a less-than-healthy diet—granted you have a job and a life outside of the gym—there aren’t enough hours in the day to work off the foods that a lot of guys eat in the name of that mindset of It’s OK, I just worked out. Hence why even though the number of people meeting their exercise guidelines is rising, so is the number of people who are obese, per University of Washington research.

Part of that’s because most people tend to greatly underestimate the number of calories they’re eating. Meanwhile, they overestimate how many calories they are burning in the gym. (Find out how accurate your fitness tracker and cardio machine’s calorie counter are.) Meanwhile, it takes a lot more effort to burn calories than take them in.

"That extra large beef burrito you scored on the way home from the gym packs more calories than the amount you torch during an hour working out," explains Samantha Cassetty, M.S., R.D., vice president of nutrition for Luvo.

But trying to out-exercise a junk food diet is about more the calories in versus calories out, Lofton says. “The body is complex and hormonal factors can have a large influence on weight gain and loss.”

For instance, when you eat a sugary donut, soda, or waffle, your body’s levels of insulin rise, which in turns switches your body into fat storage-mode, she says. So you aren’t just eating X number of calories. You’re basically injecting X number of calories straight into your ever-expanding fat cells.

Plus, eating a lot of unhealthy foods promotes inflammation, which research published in the journal Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome suggests can lead to weight gain all on its own.

"The stress response causes your body to hold onto calories and store them, rather than use them for fuel," says sports nutritionist Susan M. Kleiner, R.D., Ph.D., a scientific consultant with USANA Health Sciences. "Plus, with the inflammation, you are getting more sore from your workouts and you don’t really want to train hard." So even if you feel like you’re hitting the gym hard, you probably aren’t burning as much fat as you’d need to counteract the effects of a junky diet.

The bottom line: “When it comes to sculpting your body and enhancing your performance, without a diet to support your training you are wasting your time in the gym,” Kleiner says.
    https://www.yahoo.com/health/can-you...077383917.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's why I don't even bother going to the gym.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    That's why I don't even bother going to the gym.
    You're gonna get moobs if you don't workout Danke.

Body composition is about 80% diet. Unless you are doing ultra-marathon level training, an "all-you-can-eat" carb diet is going to cause fat storage no matter what your exercise routine. And I won't even get started on the other problems a bad diet causes.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

So my 40 minutes on the elliptical last night didn't negate the bag of salt-n-vinegar chips and Reese cups I had right before I started?

Seriously though, I have friends who claim that sometimes they just "forget to eat". I hate those skinny motherfuckers.

Just have a couple feet of your small intestine removed.
    It really does the trick.
    I know a guy who will do it for peanuts...

Working out in a gym doesn't really burn calories the way you'd think. What really burns calories is raising your heart rate for extended periods of time, and what really does that is running.

As a very accomplished runner myself, I can relate experiences of what it was like for me when I was doing 80 miles a week in the peak of fitness, and also running 0 miles a week, eating like a pig.

----------------

The first thing you need to understand is that human beings were born to run. It's the reason we stand on two legs with a straight back, the reason we lost all the hair from our bodies, the reason we are omnivorous. A fit human can even defeat a horse in a long distance race (50+ miles). We humans are very proud of our opposable thumbs and well developed brains, but the thing which has really enabled us to dominate the planet is our heat regulation system.

We've lost the hair from our bodies, so we have the ability to sweat and effectively regulate our bodily temperatures, giving us endurance unmatched by any of the other large land mammals. A cheetah, for example, can run 60mph, but after it's short sprint it would have to rest panting in the shade for hours. But we humans just keep going and going and going and going....

Running gave us access to a new incredibly enriching food source: meat. As detailed in the book "Born to Run", ancient humans would hunt by chasing their food down. They would run after a group of gazelle or deer for long enough that the animal would over heat and lie down exhausted, at which point it could be killed easily. This chase could go on all day, or even multiple days. Even today, some primitive people's still get their food this way, tribesmen who have the ability to run hundreds of miles without stopping over uneven terrain.

It is a common sentiment among runners that running touches into some very deep, primal thing inside themselves. It's natural, they are supposed to be doing this. The feeling you get after a nice run is one of the most satisfying feelings in the world, it's like this powerful feeling of relief and contentment which starts at your chest and gradually spreads outward through your veins.

-------------------

From my personal experiences, whenever I was in shape running significant mileage every day, my diet controlled itself. My excess fat and water weight would evaporate, and gradually my body would start restructuring itself into an efficient machine (I once lost 15 pounds in 10 days). I would eat until I wasn't hungry anymore, and then I would run until I was tired, and my body maintained itself in a kind of Yin Yang self regulating harmony.

There was a problem though, this balance didn't seem to apply to foods with large amounts of artificial sugars or sweeteners. These always had a certain addictive quality which would cause me to eat them, not until I was full, but until I was bursting at the seams in a shameful bloated mess. This always blunted my desire to go out running the next day, I simply wasn't "feeling it". Personally it's why I maintain such a well adjusted diet and stay away from those foods.

Although I can't say I have any evidence of this, I think you'll find that people who indulge themselves with sweets or unhealthy foods have a lot less willpower because of it. They simply lack energy and the desire to do anything strenuous. Perhaps this is due to a natural inclination for the body to want to slow itself down because it believes that when the body is stocking up on calories it usually means that winter is coming, but I can't say for sure. It's just an important observation I've taken from my own life.

If you don't restore the minerals your body lost from sweating, when you worked out, you are not helping yourself one iota. This will only wreck havoc on your body. Not to mention the junk food helps deplete the body from the basic nutrients it needs. The best plan of action is stay away from the junk and get whole clean food into your system with plenty of good clean water.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    Working out in a gym doesn't really burn calories the way you'd think. What really burns calories is raising your heart rate for extended periods of time, and what really does that is running.

As a very accomplished runner myself, I can relate experiences of what it was like for me when I was doing 80 miles a week in the peak of fitness, and also running 0 miles a week, eating like a pig.

----------------

The first thing you need to understand is that human beings were born to run. It's the reason we stand on two legs with a straight back, the reason we lost all the hair from our bodies, the reason we are omnivorous. A fit human can even defeat a horse in a long distance race (50+ miles). We humans are very proud of our opposable thumbs and well developed brains, but the thing which has really enabled us to dominate the planet is our heat regulation system.

We've lost the hair from our bodies, so we have the ability to sweat and effectively regulate our bodily temperatures, giving us endurance unmatched by any of the other large land mammals. A cheetah, for example, can run 60mph, but after it's short sprint it would have to rest panting in the shade for hours. But we humans just keep going and going and going and going....

Running gave us access to a new incredibly enriching food source: meat. As detailed in the book "Born to Run", ancient humans would hunt by chasing their food down. They would run after a group of gazelle or deer for long enough that the animal would over heat and lie down exhausted, at which point it could be killed easily. This chase could go on all day, or even multiple days. Even today, some primitive people's still get their food this way, tribesmen who have the ability to run hundreds of miles without stopping over uneven terrain.

It is a common sentiment among runners that running touches into some very deep, primal thing inside themselves. It's natural, they are supposed to be doing this. The feeling you get after a nice run is one of the most satisfying feelings in the world, it's like this powerful feeling of relief and contentment which starts at your chest and gradually spreads outward through your veins.

-------------------

From my personal experiences, whenever I was in shape running significant mileage every day, my diet controlled itself. My excess fat and water weight would evaporate, and gradually my body would start restructuring itself into an efficient machine (I once lost 15 pounds in 10 days). I would eat until I wasn't hungry anymore, and then I would run until I was tired, and my body maintained itself in a kind of Yin Yang self regulating harmony.

There was a problem though, this balance didn't seem to apply to foods with large amounts of artificial sugars or sweeteners. These always had a certain addictive quality which would cause me to eat them, not until I was full, but until I was bursting at the seams in a shameful bloated mess. This always blunted my desire to go out running the next day, I simply wasn't "feeling it". Personally it's why I maintain such a well adjusted diet and stay away from those foods.

Although I can't say I have any evidence of this, I think you'll find that people who indulge themselves with sweets or unhealthy foods have a lot less willpower because of it. They simply lack energy and the desire to do anything strenuous. Perhaps this is due to a natural inclination for the body to want to slow itself down because it believes that when the body is stocking up on calories it usually means that winter is coming, but I can't say for sure. It's just an important observation I've taken from my own life.
    I am sold on the "born to run" hypothesis. But only the most avid runner can overcome the fat storage effect of a high carb diet. And even then the chronic inflammation and insulin insensitivity problems will be present. We were built to use fat as fuel. We were born to run and born to burn fat.

Your observation about sugar intake causing overeating is consistent with scientific studies that show that some sugars inhibit the satiety hormone leptin. My theory is that concentrated sources of carbohydrates were a rare treat for paleolithic man (think bee hive or berry bush in fruit) and his body encouraged him to take advantage and gorge.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

A marathon a day just might do it (if it doesn't kill you).

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    You mean his moobs will get moobs.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

When you are young, you can get away with it. Not so much as you get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    When you are young, you can get away with it. Not so much as you get older.
    I agree. Even if you're not overweight, it's important to exercise regularly.

Play rock n roll really loud when you work out. Earbuds work if you can deal with the wire. There is something about adrenaline that gets it done. Can't put my finger on it.

It's like ahhhhhhh what a russssshhhhhhh...

In my experience no chance I ran 4-6 km on average every day ( sometimes even 2 times a day ) for 4 months and I lost between 9-11 kg,And I didn't jog,high tempo with sprints in between the entire path. It took less than 2 months to gain all the weight back and add some.Since I stopped eating grains ( except for rice in some meals and a little flour in stews ) and cut a little bit on the sugar I have lost 15 kg with moderate exercise and have maintained the weight for over a year now without any problem.
    Last edited by Demigod; 11-20-2014 at 05:25 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Too late. He's already D cup+. Eduardo shared the pics with me. I can't un-see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

----------------

-------------------

Burning calories in the gym is easy if you know what you're doing. Once you know how to do the basic exercises properly (deadlifts, squats, etc), you can move on to olympic lifts and power lifting. Combing that with HIIT (high intensity interval training) though is even better (like running, elliptical, etc, but in intensive intervals. google it for more.).
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    If you don't restore the minerals your body lost from sweating, when you worked out, you are not helping yourself one iota. This will only wreck havoc on your body. Not to mention the junk food helps deplete the body from the basic nutrients it needs. The best plan of action is stay away from the junk and get whole clean food into your system with plenty of good clean water.
    I take a packet of Emergen-C after a draining workout. It replaces what I've sweated out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Too late. He's already D cup+. Eduardo shared the pics with me. I can't un-see them.

Sounds like he needs a BRO

It's not body size that counts, it's joint health. Eating crap increases inflammation that wear down the joints and leads to injuries so you can't work out.

Bad eating ages the skin and internal tissues.

Bad eating effects the blood sugar and influences bad moods.

If I'm in a place with nothing but crappy food, I'll simply fast for a day or two. Fasting is no big deal if you've been eating healthy for a while and I find I like feeling healthy (good mood, no headaches, etc.) versus satisfying a temporary sugar craving but feeling off for the rest of the day.

Some of you who doubt this really need to try eating healthy. It changed my life so many ways for the better.

Burning calories in the gym is easy if you know what you're doing. Once you know how to do the basic exercises properly (deadlifts, squats, etc), you can move on to olympic lifts and power lifting.
    Knock yourself out, but human beings just aren't built for raw, brute strength. Compare the anatomical design of a human being to a Gorilla. You know, 400 pounds, can bench press over 4500. THIS is an animal built for power.

Our design is more for endurance. The human way to do things is with a sustained effort over a long period of time. With this we can scale any mountain, travel any ocean, construct giant buildings, etc... We can be "on" for extremely long periods of time. Whether it's a desk job managing contracts, or a plumber, or a farmer who works all day, we humans just keep going and going and going and going... Slow, methodical, ruthlessly persistent. This is the human way.
    Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 11-21-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demigod View Post
    In my experience ...Since I stopped eating grains
    ( except for rice in some meals and a little flour in stews )
    and cut a little bit on the sugar ... have maintained the [lower] weight
    for over a year now without any problem.
    Yes, that's great!

Very effective IMO - avoid those carbohydrates.

Bread (flour) is a killer, Pasta is even worse.
    Too bad I love 'em both so much!

Take some psyllium husk powder capsules every day and you're good to go...

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post

Take some psyllium husk powder capsules every day and you're good to go...

Is that just a poopie pill, or is there more to it than that?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FloralScent View Post
    So my 40 minutes on the elliptical last night didn't negate the bag of salt-n-vinegar chips and Reese cups I had right before I started?

Seriously though, I have friends who claim that sometimes they just "forget to eat". I hate those skinny motherfuckers.
    Zoiks! That's me...plus when I get in a funk, I don't eat--opposite of most people. When I forget to eat, I actually feel it in my knees--they're the first to go weak.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Knock yourself out, but human beings just aren't built for raw, brute strength. Compare the anatomical design of a human being to a Gorilla. You know, 800 pounds, can bench press over 4500. THIS is an animal built for power.

Our design is more for endurance. The human way to do things is with a sustained effort over a long period of time. With this we can scale any mountain, travel any ocean, construct giant buildings, etc... We can be "on" for extremely long periods of time. Whether it's a desk job managing contracts, or a plumber, or a farmer who works all day, we humans just keep going and going and going and going... Slow, methodical, ruthlessly persistent. This is the human way.
    I never said anything about lifting heavy. You can get great results from very small weights (or just your body weight). If you know what you're doing (preferably studying with a coach who can watch/correct your form), you develop endurance as well as strength. That's why track athletes do it. (especially olympic lifts and strongman stuff like flipping tractor tires) Of course, this isn't a substitute for cardio training, as you say. Hence, HIIT (high intensity interval training) and similar programs that are standard practice for strength athletes of all types. Cardio and resistance training are 2 sides of the same coin. I-and every athlete I know-only lift gym weights a few days a week.

What? I saw a pic of Danke from back in 2008 or 2007, he isn't bad looking or a fatty.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    It's not body size that counts, it's joint health. Eating crap increases inflammation that wear down the joints and leads to injuries so you can't work out.

Bad eating ages the skin and internal tissues.

Bad eating effects the blood sugar and influences bad moods.

If I'm in a place with nothing but crappy food, I'll simply fast for a day or two. Fasting is no big deal if you've been eating healthy for a while and I find I like feeling healthy (good mood, no headaches, etc.) versus satisfying a temporary sugar craving but feeling off for the rest of the day.

Some of you who doubt this really need to try eating healthy. It changed my life so many ways for the better.
    QFT.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    What? I saw a pic of Danke from back in 2008 or 2007, he isn't bad looking or a fatty.
    So, either eduardo or danke is sharing fake pics. :/

So, either eduardo or danke is sharing fake pics. :/
    So you are sharing photos of dudes with other dudes... Not surprised.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast