Thread: Beefed up iPhone crypto will lead to a child dying, DOJ warned Apple execs

Beefed up iPhone crypto will lead to a child dying, DOJ warned Apple execs

The No. 2 official at the Justice Department recently warned top Apple executives that stronger encryption protections added to iPhones would lead to a horrific tragedy, such as a child dying, because police couldn't access a suspect's device, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday.

The beefed up protections, Apple recently disclosed, mean that even when company officials are served with a court order, they will be unable to retrieve potentially crucial evidence such as photos, messages, or contacts stored on iPhones and iPads. Instead, the data can be accessed only by people who know the passcode that serves as the encryption key.

Justice Department officials wasted no time objecting to the changes and used the scenario of a child being kidnapped and murdered to drive home their claim that Apple was "marketing to criminals." According to the WSJ, Justice Department officials including Deputy Attorney General James Cole met with Apple General Counsel Bruce Sewell and two other company employees on October 1. Reporters Devlin Barrett, Danny Yadron, and Daisuke Wakabayashi gave the following account, which they attributed to the recollections of people who attended.

Read the rest here:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...d-apple-execs/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Love the comments. People are tired of their BS.

Smells rotten.

Not like an Apple.

It smells of guber-road-apple.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ight-years-ago

post 21

QED

(off to read comments - this should be good!)

Apple: We gave you backdoor access.
    DoJ: Thanks, we'd still like to act as if we don't have access. You want some money for playing along?
    Apple: Of course we would.

Department of JUST-US

Maybe they should spend their time helping out the massive increase in homeless children? Nah... that doesn't fit their J Egar Hoover freak show of spying on everyone, anyone, anytime... because the U.S. Constitution is a God Damn piece of paper... according to some politicians/government workers.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

You mean they actually used the line, "It's for the children!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    You mean they actually used the line, "It's for the children!!"
    Go to C-SPAN video archive (which is poorly transcribed but indexed) and type in "It's for the children"

Then try that in Goggle...

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 11-20-2014 at 07:21 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    Apple: We gave you backdoor access.
    DoJ: Thanks, we'd still like to act as if we don't have access. You want some money for playing along?
    Apple: Of course we would.
    And that's why some version of this will be my next smartphone. Behold the Raspberry PiPhone!

http://www.davidhunt.ie/piphone-a-ra...ed-smartphone/

Seriously. The only way to make sure you don't get backdoored is to build the dang thing yourself.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Crickets when it comes to actual children the State attacks--the 19 month old in Georgia and the 2 year old in California.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    And that's why some version of this will be my next smartphone. Behold the Raspberry PiPhone!

http://www.davidhunt.ie/piphone-a-ra...ed-smartphone/

Seriously. The only way to make sure you don't get backdoored is to build the dang thing yourself.
    lol, I like it. It will get better.

Until then, Android L is the far safer option due to them being open-source. Some systems may not be (I dunno), but Android is still far more open than iOS. Apple has aligned with the devil and should always be avoided.

"But, but , if it saves just one child! " . I've seen ads on NBC for some new show where one character says to the other something like "how many rights are we going to violate?". And the other one says "it depends on how many lives you want to save." There it is right there, you have to give up freedoms for security and safety.