Thread: "Witness" Admits to Lying 39 Years Later (Coerced by Cops), Man Freed

"Witness" Admits to Lying 39 Years Later (Coerced by Cops), Man Freed

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/w...years-27023546

Quote Originally Posted by AP
    A man who spent nearly four decades in prison after being convicted of murder is expected to be freed Friday after a witness confessed he lied as a boy when he told jurors he saw the deadly attack.

Ricky Jackson had been seeking a new trial and sobbed loudly with his face in his hands as prosecutors dismissed his case Tuesday, The Plain Dealer reported.

"I can't believe this is over," Jackson, 57, said, thanking his supporters and his attorneys from the Ohio Innocence Project.

Jackson has been imprisoned for 39 years, serving a life sentence for aggravated murder and other charges, according to state prison records. He is expected to be released as soon as the paperwork is finished.

Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty said the case fell apart after witness Eddie Vernon recanted. Vernon said he had been fed details of the crime by police and kept quiet about his lies because investigators had threatened to imprison his parents.
    Last edited by jct74; 11-22-2014 at 07:26 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

A spokesman for the prosecutor's office said it doesn't anticipate charging Vernon.
    And the police investigators that threatened him. What of them?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    A spokesman for the prosecutor's office said it doesn't anticipate charging Vernon.
    "Shuddup!! Or ah'll thump yer head for ya! Now move along! Nothing to see here, move along ..." - Officer Friendly

Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty said the case fell apart after witness Eddie Vernon recanted. Vernon said he had been fed details of the crime by police and kept quiet about his lies because investigators had threatened to imprison his parents.

Vernon was 12 when he accused Jackson and two brothers in the May 1975 killing of a money-order collector who authorities said was beaten, shot and attacked with acid as he walked near a grocery store. No evidence connected the defendants to the crime, but all three were convicted by juries.
    Attorneys for the two convicted brothers, Wiley and Ronnie Bridgeman, also sought a new trial based on Vernon's information and are expected to ask prosecutors to drop that case, too, the newspaper reported.

Ronnie Bridgeman spent more than 25 years in prison, and his brother remains incarcerated.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Statute of limitations?

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    Statute of limitations?
    Seems to me that this doesn't apply. The cops were never charged and therefore would not be subject to S.O.L. This would be a new case based on new evidence.

Nearly 40 years later, 2 men could be freed on Friday after prosecutors dismiss charges

CLEVELAND – There is a possibility that three men, two brothers and their best friend, could be reunited nearly 40 years after they were sentenced to death for a 1975 slaying they say they did not commit.

Cuyahoga County prosecutors on Thursday filed a motion to dismiss all charges against Ricky Jackson, 57, Wiley Bridgeman, 60, and Bridgeman's brother, Ronnie, 57, who is now known as Kwame Ajamu.

The dismissals came after the key witness against the men at trial, a 13-year-old boy, recanted last year and said Cleveland police detectives coerced him into testifying that the three killed businessman Harry Franks the afternoon of May 19, 1975.

Jackson is expected to be freed on Friday. If transportation can be arranged from a prison in northwest Ohio, Wiley Bridgeman could be freed as well. Ajamu was released from prison in January 2003.

Ajamu said in an interview Thursday that the prospect of the three being together again is "mind boggling." Ajamu spent his 18th birthday on death row and was in prison when his mother, a brother and a sister died.

"The idea that my brother — both of those guys are my brothers — are getting out? I don't even care about me," Ajamu said.

The Bridgemans' death sentences were commuted to life in prison after the U.S. Supreme Court outlawed capital punishment in 1978. Jackson's sentence was commuted in 1977 on a technicality — a mistake in jury instructions.

The three-year process that led to their exonerations began with a story published in Scene Magazine in 2011 that detailed flaws in the case, including Eddie Vernon's questionable testimony. Vernon, now 52, did not recant until a minister visited him at a hospital in 2013. Vernon broke down during a court hearing for Jackson on Tuesday as he described the threats by detectives and the burden of guilt he had carried for so long.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/21...utors-dismiss/
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

$#@!. Freedom needs to start stringing people up, to balance the power.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

"Witness" Admits to Lying 39 Years Later (Coerced by Cops), Man Freed

Link

CLEVELAND (AP) — A man who spent nearly four decades in prison after being convicted of murder is expected to be freed Friday after a witness confessed he lied as a boy when he told jurors he saw the deadly attack.

Ricky Jackson had been seeking a new trial and sobbed loudly with his face in his hands as prosecutors dismissed his case Tuesday, The Plain Dealer (http://bit.ly/1vpfhwJ ) reported.

"I can't believe this is over," Jackson, 57, said, thanking his supporters and his attorneys from the Ohio Innocence Project.

Jackson has been imprisoned for 39 years, serving a life sentence for aggravated murder and other charges, according to state prison records. He is expected to be released as soon as the paperwork is finished.

Vernon was 12 when he accused Jackson and two brothers in the May 1975 killing of a money-order collector who authorities said was beaten, shot and attacked with acid as he walked near a grocery store. No evidence connected the defendants to the crime, but all three were convicted by juries.

This week, Vernon told a judge he was trying to please others when he provided a false story based on information from a friend and police who fed him details, creating a web of lies that helped convict Jackson and the other men. He said he gave authorities the names of the three men because he thought he was doing the right thing.

"All the information was fed to me," said Vernon, who came forward to change his story after speaking with a pastor. "I don't have any knowledge about what happened at the scene of the crime."
    Your "justice" system at work.

"IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."

No legal harm (qualified immunity, statutes of limitations.) God bless AmeriKa. Unto the laws on which we stand.

Dammit. Mods, feel free to merge/delete/whatever.

Free after 39 years

One of the main reasons I am against the death penalty.

Free after 39 years: Emotional moment former death row inmates wrongly convicted of murder in 1975 walk free after witness admits he lied

By Kieran Corcoran

Ricky Jackson, 57, and Wiley Bridgeman, 60, were convicted of murder
    Originally faced the death penalty for killing businessman in Cleveland, Ohio
    Sentences were commuted to life in 1978 following Supreme Court ruling
    Men served jail sentence until today - based on 12-year-old's testimony
    Convictions were quashed after witness recanted his original account

Two men who faced the death penalty for a 1975 murder have walked free from prison when all the charges against them were dismissed after a witness said his testimony was 'all lies'.

Ricky Jackson and Wiley Bridgeman, 57 and 60, were convicted of murdering Harry Franks, a businessman in Cleveland, Ohio - based largely on the testimony of a 12-year-old who said he saw the murder.

The two, along with Bridgeman's brother Ronnie, were given death sentences after Eddie Vernon testified in court.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

One of the main reasons I am against the death penalty.
    Because locking the innocent man up for 39 years was so much better.

I'm not against the death penalty. It is the Biblical and justifiable penalty for murder. What I'm against is a screwed up justice system, death penalty or no death penalty.

I'm against prisons and I'm against the State.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    death penalty or no death penalty.
    Pick a side.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Better than murdering him? I dare say it was - and who are you to say otherwise? Why don't we ask him?

I'm not against the death penalty. It is the Biblical and justifiable penalty for murder. What I'm against is a screwed up justice system, death penalty or no death penalty.
    So it would have been "Biblical and justifiable" to have murdered these innocent men after they were convicted. Got it.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-21-2014 at 11:23 PM.

-- The Law (p. 54)
      -- Government (p. 99)

Better than dead.

The whole system is corrupt, from the cops at the arrest, to the persecutor to the judge.

Being in favor of the death penalty under this system is evil.

Repent.

Banned

Blog Entries
    When he dismissed Jackson's case, Judge Richard McMonagle said, 'Life is filled with small victories, and this is a big one.'
    $#@! Judge. So in love with his twisted, corrupt system, he calls the stealing of 78 years of two mens' life a "big victory". "Victory" is far from what this was. What the judge should have said is "the American court system is full of injustice, and this is just one of the hundreds of thousands of big ones".

I really can't stand how whenever one of these stories comes up, the lawyers and judges act like their $#@!ed up little system worked. No, too late, it failed, like it does a thousand times a day.
    Last edited by UWDude; 11-22-2014 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    $#@! Judge. So in love with his twisted, corrupt system, he calls the stealing of 78 years of two mens' life a "big victory". "Victory" is far from what this was. What the judge should have said is "the American court system is full of injustice, and this is just one of the hundreds of thousands of big ones".

I really can't stand how whenever one of these stories comes up, the lawyers and judges act like their $#@!ed up little system worked. No, too late, it failed, like it does a thousand times a day.
    I agree. If someone had stolen 39 years of my life, finally getting out of prison after four decades of hell would not strike me as a "victory" of any sort. Too little, too late. I would want to give that judge a kick in the nuts for being so cavalier about such a life shattering mistake.

Who did Jesus kill?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Better than dead.
    I'd take death over 39 years in the King's dungeon. I was not meant for captivity.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    I agree. If someone had stolen 39 years of my life, finally getting out of prison after four decades of hell would not strike me as a "victory" of any sort. Too little, too late. I would want to give that judge a kick in the nuts for being so cavalier about such a life shattering mistake.
    I guarantee you that judge has taken thousands of years from innocent people, and stolen millions of innocent people's dollars. GUARANTEE IT.

A paltry 1 million for a lifetime in prison as an innocent man. The prostitutor made more than that during those years.

An Ohio man freed last year after spending 39 years in jail for a murder he did not commit will receive more than $1 million from the state for his wrongful imprisonment, court records show.

An Ohio Court of Claims judge on Thursday ordered that just over $1 million be paid to Ricky Jackson, the longest-held U.S. prisoner to be cleared of a crime.

"Wow, I didn't know that," Jackson told the Cleveland Plain Dealer, which said he learnt of the payment from a journalist.

"Wow, wow, wow, that's fantastic, man. I don't even know what to say. This is going to mean so much," he said.
    http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-man-clear...063803465.html

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    30 percent.

That's what I reckon, out of the total prison population, is the percentage of those that are innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    30 percent.

That's what I reckon, out of the total prison population, is the percentage of those that are innocent.
    And about the percentage Ricky Jackson will get after taxes eviscerates his award.

Banned

Blog Entries
    1 million, for being forced to live labeled as a murderer for THIRTY NINE years. 1975. Disco was still king when this man started his term as an 18 year old.

$1 million

$1 million is a spit in his eye.