Thread: Navy vet to RT: I was fired, called ‘terrorist’ for posting photos of DHS vehicles nr Ferguson

Navy vet to RT: I was fired, called ‘terrorist’ for posting photos of DHS vehicles nr Ferguson

image from Mark Paffrath Facebook page

Mark Paffrath, a Navy veteran, was fired and branded a “terrorist” for taking pictures of dozens of Homeland Security vehicles parked at the hotel where he used to work in Ferguson, as grand jury decision on Michael Brown shooting is due, he told RT.

Protesters are already gathering in and around St Louis for what they believe will be no indictment decision for the police officer who shot 18-year-old Ferguson resident Michael Brown.

The Department of Homeland Security is preparing, too. Mark Paffrath, who worked for the Drury hotel chain, about a 30-minute drive from Ferguson, managed to take photos of the vehicles the DHS in the hotel’s parking lot and posted them on social media.

It cost him his job.

RT: You were employed by Drury Plaza Hotel for about one and half years. Then you snapped several pictures of Homeland Security vehicles and uploaded them to your social media accounts. Can you explain what happened?

RT: How did your employer explain their actions?

MP: He actually called me a terrorist for doing it and that I dishonestly served my country in doing so.

RT: Are you planning to object to the actions of your employer in court?

MP: Yes, I have a lawyer in contact and he’s weighing the legal options as we speak. I have a meeting with him tomorrow.

RT: You added hashtags #Ferguson and #NoJusticeNoPeace. Why did you think the vehicles were connected to the events in Ferguson?

MP: I actually thought it was pretty obvious. I mean we never have 70-plus department of Homeland Security vehicles just sitting in a parking lot, waiting for training. I live in St Louis Missouri, not near the East Coast where DC is at, so I knew they weren’t doing training.

image from Mark Paffrath Facebook page

Continued - Navy vet to RT: I was fired, called ‘terrorist’ for posting photos of DHS vehicles nr Ferguson
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-19-2014 at 02:09 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bet those trunks have some nice pickings.... stingrays, sniper rifles, machine guns...

-t

Tell the government you're terrified because they took a pic of your vehicle and they're liable to lock you in a rubber room and fit you for a coat with wraparound sleeves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Soooo how is it his employer became aware of his turruristic photos. Fedbook. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, nowhatImeansquire?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Soooo how is it his employer became aware of his turruristic photos. Fedbook. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, nowhatImeansquire?
    I think that if a hotel clerk who was housing a secret army for use against the people ever fired me and called me a terrorist and that I dishonestly served my country for telling everyone that he was housing a secret army for use against the people , I'd probably feel like whipping his ass for general glory. Those are rather personal attacks.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-20-2014 at 03:41 PM.

If the government doesn't want us to notice when they're around why do they spend more of our money having their vehicles marked? I don't know how to break this to them, but all that billboard crap plastered all over the sides isn't exactly standard equipment. They don't come out of the factory that way.

And when did the federal government forget the old bit of once-common wisdom concerning putting all one's eggs in one basket? Because from the Baghdad Embassy Compound to this to about everything else, they seem to make this mistake over and over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    If the government doesn't want us to notice when they're around why do they spend more of our money having their vehicles marked? I don't know how to break this to them, but all that billboard crap plastered all over the sides isn't exactly standard equipment. They don't come out of the factory that way.

And when did the federal government forget the old bit of once-common wisdom concerning putting all one's eggs in one basket? Because from the Baghdad Embassy Compound to this to about everything else, they seem to make this mistake over and over again.
    How do you know there aren't more baskets?
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

I could see him being fired for photographing the customer's property while an employee. I'm sure there could be an understandable company policy against that to protect the privacy of the guests at the hotel /protect against liability to the hotel.

But that's not why he was fired.. And while we are at it, there should be no reason why any private citizen should be disallowed from taking photos of government in action or inaction, unless it conflicts with his employer while on the clock.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Poor dude. I stayed at this hotel a couple years ago, If I recall it was nearly $200 a night but it was pretty nice. I guess the more expensive hotels downtown were full so the DHS employees will just have to rough it there. Actually if that was the case I'm surprised they didn't just throw out the downtown hotel lodgers and claim their rooms as a matter of national security.
    I have always supported measures and principles and not men. I have acted fearless and independent and I never will regret my course. I would rather be politically buried that to be hypochriticalley immortalized.
    Davy Crockett

Look up, get up, and don't ever give up.
    Michael Irvin

Additionally is it the law that a DHS vehicle must always be less than a year old? Those Suburbans look brand new and probably only get 14 to 18 mpg. Good grief.
    I have always supported measures and principles and not men. I have acted fearless and independent and I never will regret my course. I would rather be politically buried that to be hypochriticalley immortalized.
    Davy Crockett

Look up, get up, and don't ever give up.
    Michael Irvin

Quote Originally Posted by TN_VOL View Post
    Additionally is it the law that a DHS vehicle must always be less than a year old? Those Suburbans look brand new and probably only get 14 to 18 mpg. Good grief.

Hmmmm...Maybe the DHS bought several thousand new vehicles and hasn't even had a chance to even use them yet? So they all got excited with the opportunity to drive them around. Lol.

Here is something that makes me angry. There are a thousand legit and obvious examples of horrible police abuse and even murder that get overlooked and ignored all the time, but the one everyone jumps on is about as ambiguous as it gets. WTH? It's almost as if the victims are TRYING to keep the abuse going.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Here is something that makes me angry. There are a thousand legit and obvious examples of horrible police abuse and even murder that get overlooked and ignored all the time, but the one everyone jumps on is about as ambiguous as it gets. WTH? It's almost as if the victims are TRYING to keep the abuse going.
    That's a very interesting point.

As a first approximation, I would suggest that the ambiguity you mention serves as a sort of "do-it-yourself playground for the id." Such cases offer plenty of room for one's own preconceptions to roam freely - while doing the same for the antithetical prejudices of others.

Et voilà! Instant tension and conflict - "Brown was a hoodlum who deserved what he got!" ... "Brown was the victim of a racist system!" ... "Cops are out of control!" ... "Save Wilson from the cop-haters!" ... etc.

The more clear-cut and unambiguous the situation, the narrower the aperture for inflaming passions with conflicting narratives - and thus, the fewer people who will become animated by the matter.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-21-2014 at 12:48 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

As a first approximation, I would suggest that the ambiguity you mention serves as a sort of "do-it-yourself playground for the id." Such cases offer plenty of room for one's own preconceptions to roam freely - while doing the same for the antithetical prejudices of others.

Et voilà! Instant tension and conflict - "Brown was a hoodlum who deserved what he got!" ... "Brown was the victim of a racist system!" ... "Cops are out of control!" ... "Save Wilson from the cop-haters!" ... etc.

The more clear-cut and unambiguous the situation, the narrower the aperture for inflaming passions with conflicting narratives.
    Yep. That's exactly right. And so we have to force ourselves to come together there which, unfortunately, is the obstacle in our own way. Overcome that and you have a chance at synergy. Pride gets in the way, though. It always does. Of course, we kind of have to throw it out there and see if a light bulb goes off. Sometimes it does. Is rare, though. I mean, we're never going to learn to climb a mountain until we're faced with one. Is just a fact.

The more clear-cut and unambiguous the situation, the narrower the aperture for inflaming passions with conflicting narratives - and thus, the fewer people who will become animated by the matter.
    That makes a great deal of sense. If the situation is clear-cut and obvious, then there is less conflict about right and wrong, so less controversy to be had. If the situation is ambiguous, everyone gets to project their own biases into the situation and there is controversy boiling over. News media makes more money when there is more controversy, so they play up the ambiguous ones and ignore the obvious ones.

That tells me that both sides of Ferguson are getting played for profit. How many lives will ultimately be ruined, businesses destroyed, millions in looting etc because Fox and CNN want to make a buck more than they want to tell the truth?

It's ugly, and it makes me mad.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Occam's Banana again.

DOH!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Occam's Banana again.

DOH!
    Covered.