Thread: I found out why the Weather Channel started giving winter storms goofy names

Exclamation I found out why the Weather Channel started giving winter storms goofy names

It's to acclimate people to the idea of higher deductibles under "named storm" damage.

Deductible drama around named storms

Another reason people opposed naming winter storms had to do with named-storm deductible clauses in insurance policies. These clauses stipulate that an insurer can charge a higher deductible than normal once a weather event becomes a named storm.

Though this fear proved groundless with respect to winter storms, it still applies to hurricane and wind damage coverage. Many named-storm deductible clauses work by requiring a deductible that’s a certain percentage of a home’s value—anywhere from one to 10 percent—instead of a fixed dollar amount. That means instead of paying a $500 or $1,000 deductible, a house that’s insured for the U.S. average of $161,100 would shell out $16,100 if their named-storm deductible was 10 percent.

http://www.eriesense.com/how-named-s...ce-coverage-2/

Now, the insurance companies deny this...and if you believe them, I have bridge to sell you.

Never forgot, these are the same people that gave you ObamaCare.

No Insurance Implication for Weather Channel’s Decision to Name Winter Storms

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../14/281286.htm

The Weather Channel’s decision this winter season to start naming severe winter storms in the U.S. — such as bestowing the name “Nemo” for the massive Feb. 8-9 winter storm — most likely will not have any implication for “named-storm clauses” found in many property policies, the Insurance Information Institute said.

Under named-storm clauses, policyholders may be subject to higher deductibles when covered losses arise from storms that were given names by the National Weather Service, National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration or other major meteorological authority.

Give it few years...and you'll start having to deal with "named winter storm deductibles".

Would not surprise me at all to find that TWC and the insurance industry were in collusion behind this stupidity.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Would not surprise me at all to find that TWC and the insurance industry were in collusion behind this stupidity.
    Well, the insurance companies do advertise heavily on TWC, or at least they used to.

But anyway, I still find the entire named storm thing stupid.... BS marketing which just pisses me off.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

A storm is coming. That is all we need to know.

Looks like nobody else abides by the Weather Channel storm names.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weathe...nnel/16521971/

Ready for storm Astro?

That's the first name on the list of winter storm names released Wednesday by the Weather Channel. For the third winter in a row, the network will be naming major snowstorms.

"Last season we named 26 ferocious winter storms spanning across all regions of the U.S.," said Tom Niziol, winter weather expert for The Weather Channel. "Improving communications is a key part of The Weather Channel team's core mission to keep the public safe and informed in severe weather events."

Two winters ago, the first season of the Weather Channel list, the most memorable storm was Nemo, which walloped New England with up to 3 feet of snow in February 2013 and killed 14 people.

Last winter, the one that seemed to capture the most social media attention was Hercules in January, Niziol said. That storm killed at least 15 people as it unleashed heavy snow from the Midwest to the Northeast, and also ushered in the first use of last winter's buzzword, the polar vortex.

No other private meteorology firm nor the National Weather Service uses the names coined by The Weather Channel. Two years ago, the weather service released this statement about it: "The National Weather Service has no opinion about private weather enterprise products and services. ... While the National Weather Service does not name winter storms, we do rate major winter storms after the fact."

On Wednesday, weather service spokesman Chris Vaccaro confirmed their position has not changed since then.
    More at link.

From an insurance website: http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../14/281286.htm

No Insurance Implication for Weather Channel’s Decision to Name Winter Storms

The Weather Channel’s decision this winter season to start naming severe winter storms in the U.S. — such as bestowing the name “Nemo” for the massive Feb. 8-9 winter storm — most likely will not have any implication for “named-storm clauses” found in many property policies, the Insurance Information Institute said.

Under named-storm clauses, policyholders may be subject to higher deductibles when covered losses arise from storms that were given names by the National Weather Service, National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration or other major meteorological authority.

“The named-storm clauses requiring higher deductibles typically have to do with wind speeds set forth by the National Weather Service, ” said Loretta Worters, vice president of the Insurance Information Institute.
    There are two kinds of wind damage deductibles: hurricane deductibles, which apply to damage solely from hurricanes, and windstorm or wind/hail deductibles, which apply to any kind of wind damage. Percentage deductibles typically vary from 1 percent of a home’s insured value to 5 percent. In some coastal areas with high wind risk, hurricane deductibles may be higher.

The amount that the homeowner will pay depends on the home’s insured value and the “trigger” selected by the insurance company, which determines under what circumstances the deductible applies. In some states, policyholders may have the option of paying a higher premium in return for a traditional dollar deductible, depending on how close to the shore they live. In some high-risk coastal areas, insurers may not give policyholders this option, making the percentage deductible mandatory.

Hurricane triggers vary by state and insurer and may apply when the National Weather Service (NWS) “names” a tropical storm, declares a hurricane watch or warning or defines the hurricane’s intensity.

Triggers generally include a timing factor, i.e., damage occurring within 24 hours before the storm is named or a hurricane makes landfall up to as long as 72 hours after the hurricane is downgraded to a lesser storm or a hurricane watch cancelled. But winter weather has never been included in this.

Hurricanes and tropical storms have been given names since the 1940s — while weather systems, including winter storms, have been named in Europe since the 1950s.
    More at link.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    From an insurance website: http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../14/281286.htm

More at link.
    I already quoted that exact link, and exact article, in the OP.

In your zeal to pronounce, "nothing to see here, move along", you attempt to gloss over the "most likely" portion of the quote as being a trustworthy position.

I see "most likely" to be nothing but a weasel phrase, and that within ten years, assuming this idea of naming winter storms does not get stamped out for the idiocy it is, you will be subject to higher "named storm deductibles" for winter as well as tropical storms.

Care to wager on which one of us would be right?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    A storm is coming. That is all we need to know.
    But your insurance company needs more money.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How is it possible that about 95 percent of time when when I see Zippy post it's in opposition to whatever the topic is about?

Does he just like playing Devil's Advocate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Zippy is a paid troll. That's all anybody needs to know about him.

I've seen that accusation for ages now but if that is Zippy's goal, he doesn't seem very effective. Then again, I suppose if I take into account the thousands of non-members visiting and reading this site every day, it could have some effect.

More than likely he just likes to stir $#@! and isn't getting paid to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    How is it possible that about 95 percent of time when when I see Zippy post it's in opposition to whatever the topic is about?

Does he just like playing Devil's Advocate?
    It's more like Denial Advocate.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Zippy is a paid troll. That's all anybody needs to know about him.
    How about a raise, boss?

I don't really think that Zippy is a paid troll.

Without posters like Zippy, this forum would be pure echo chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Yep.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How about a raise, boss?
    Big boss said you were one post short of quota this quarter

Define "posters like Zippy" ...

If you merely mean "posters who disagree with other posters," then I guess so - but that's kinda like saying "without marriage, no one would be married." (It's true - but what's the point of saying it?)
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Define "posters like Zippy" ...

If you merely mean "posters who disagree with other posters," then I guess so - but that's kinda like saying "without marriage, no one would be married." (It's true - but what's the point of saying it?)
    It's more than just disagreement, because that can occur in an echo chamber. It is about keeping people accountable to the claims they make.

It's more than just disagreement, because that can occur in an echo chamber. It is about keeping people accountable to the claims they make.
    Alrighty, then. That makes sense without also being tautological.

However, if I really wanted to quibble, I could dispute the assertion that "disagreement can occur in an echo chamber" - echoes, after all, are just repititions of the same sound, which would seem to be exclusive of "disagreement." Of course, you could counter with the fact that an echo chamber can simultaneously reflect mulitiple and "opposing" echoes - in which case I could respond that "keeping people accountable" would then just consitute one more echo in the echo chamber ...

So I guess it's a good thing I don't really want to quibble ...

I had thought of this thread during my lunch

BY: JANN SWANSON
    Natural Disasters are now Measurable Default Risks
    Decrease Font SizeTextIncrease Font Size

Nov 17 2014, 2:36PM

Growing numbers of severe weather events throughout the U.S. may be giving new meaning to "location, location, location" in the housing world. CoreLogic senior economist Kathryn Dobbyn writes in the company's blog "housing Pulse" that the $8 billion in property damage caused by severe weather in the U.S. in 2013 is causing the housing industry to think about the risk of any given location's exposure to natural disasters which are only expected to continue to increase in both frequency and intensity.

more@
    http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/111...fault_risk.asp

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Ask ZipJuan why he's posted here every day for seven years, but has never made a liberty post. Ask him his voting choices. Ask him why he's on this forum. I asked him all those questions, but he never answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Care to wager on which one of us would be right?
    Zip won't bet. I proposed a bet with him where the loser leaves the forum for good. What does a contrarian with no RPF friends or liberty posts have to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    I've seen that accusation for ages now but if that is Zippy's goal, he doesn't seem very effective. Then again, I suppose if I take into account the thousands of non-members visiting and reading this site every day, it could have some effect.

More than likely he just likes to stir $#@! and isn't getting paid to do it.
    He could just be a volunteer. I'd say people spend all kinds of resources on efforts that aren't very effective. The Yeshiva Council and My Israel thought Wikipedia so important as an information source that they sponsored a seminar to train volunteer Wikipedia editors. I don't know if they had any impact, but apparently they thought the effort to be important.

Now RPF trolls PRB and TheCount should be along shortly. They love to go after the so-called "conspiracy theorists" here. Their only problem is I'm someone who thinks Oswald acted alone. Wonder if they'll twist a story about organizations affecting internet discourse into their conspiracy card.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

It is about keeping people accountable to the claims they make.
    Sounds serious.

How about a raise, boss?
    Don't you have a high post account on Democratic Underground?

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Zippy's job (the handle, not necessarily a 'person') is to post arguments supporting the status quo in all things financial, from the sources that work to maintain the status quo. The charts are the best because it's hilarious watching Zippy post a chart from the Fed to illustrate that the Fed isn't lying and stuff like that.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Ask ZipJuan why he's posted here every day for seven years, but has never made a liberty post. Ask him his voting choices. Ask him why he's on this forum. I asked him all those questions, but he never answered.

Zip won't bet. I proposed a bet with him where the loser leaves the forum for good. What does a contrarian with no RPF friends or liberty posts have to lose?

He could just be a volunteer. I'd say people spend all kinds of resources on efforts that aren't very effective. The Yeshiva Council and My Israel thought Wikipedia so important as an information source that they sponsored a seminar to train volunteer Wikipedia editors. I don't know if they had any impact, but apparently they thought the effort to be important.

Now RPF trolls PRB and TheCount should be along shortly. They love to go after the so-called "conspiracy theorists" here. Their only problem is I'm someone who thinks Oswald acted alone. Wonder if they'll twist a story about organizations affecting internet discourse into their conspiracy card.
    Oswald acted alone? I'd be interested to hear that one.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Oswald acted alone? I'd be interested to hear that one.

Eh, who knows. What I am really saying is that underhandedness is often unnecessary because people beg to be ruled.

Look at the trolls on RPF. They're lazy as hell, and they're as obvious as the nose on your face.

All you need do on most things is dig a level or two to see what's going on. People get caught because they're either too lazy to cover their tracks or someone rats them out.