Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rand Blocks the Renewal of Patriot Act

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    What a headline. wtf collins

Was a complete party line vote. The mainstream media is running with a completely different headline... "Bill to Restrict N.S.A. Data Collection Blocked in Vote by Senate Republicans"

Collins my patience with you wears thin.
    As it does with me as well.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    The headline came straight from Rand's press release. I didn't make it up, I simply copied it.
    Anything or anybody else it would have been just a non descript link.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Does it bother anyone that Tom Cotton, Marco Rubio, Lindsey Graham, and John McCain also "blocked" this bill?
    It would have bothered me if Cotton blocked the bill

It seems that at most only 1 Democrat in the US Senator cares about civil liberties. Shame on the Democrats!
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    It would have bothered me if Cotton blocked the bill
    Yeah, I shouldn't have included him. But he certainly would've voted against it had he been in the Senate.

It seems that at most only 1 Democrat in the US Senator cares about civil liberties. Shame on the Democrats!
    Are you kidding? I'm pretty sure the one Democratic Senator who voted against this did so because he thought it went too far in reigning in the NSA.

If that's the case, then why did McCain, Graham, Rubio, etc. all vote against it?
    Because they disagree that there's any problem to begin with. They don't want even window dressing reforms because that would be conceding that the public outrage at the NSA is justified, which they would never admit.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Are you kidding? I'm pretty sure the one Democratic Senator who voted against this did so because he thought it went too far in reigning in the NSA.
    I said at most I already made a smiley face in the other part of my comment, wasn't sure if it was okay to share 2 in the same post when replying to a traditional conservative.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

I said at most I already made a smiley face in the other part of my comment, wasn't sure if it was okay to share 2 in the same post when replying to a traditional conservative.
    Ok. But I'm pretty sure that the 54 Democrats who voted for this along with Cruz, Lee, Heller, and Murkowski made a far more pro liberty vote than the 40 Republicans and one Democrat who voted against this bill because they felt it went too far in reigning in the NSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Because they disagree that there's any problem to begin with. They don't want even window dressing reforms because that would be conceding that the public outrage at the NSA is justified, which they would never admit.
    This is what Jennifer Rubin had to say about it.

h ttp://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2014/11/18/a-dangerous-nsa-bill/

Senators are likely to vote soon on S. 2685, the USA Freedom Act — which should be named the Terrorist Plot Protection Act — a bill championed by Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) aimed at severely curtailing the National Security Agency surveillance operation. As a memo for the Republican Policy Committee explains, “This bill has never received committee consideration or a mark-up. By contrast, the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence passed a bill on this topic, S. 1631, by a bipartisan vote of 11-4, after having roll call votes on nine amendments during mark-up.” Numerous officials and former officials have warned that the bill is dangerous and unwise:

In the main, according to Senator Leahy’s press release on the matter, this bill “bans” critical intelligence tools authorized by Section 215 of the Patriot Act. As Mike Morrell, the former acting director of the CIA and member of the President’s Review Group on Intelligence and Communications Technologies, has written: if this intelligence tool had “been in place more than a decade ago, it would likely have prevented 9/11.”

The Director of National Intelligence has pointed out that metadata is the “only” type of information collected under this particular program. Metadata has nothing to do with the content of the phone call, but rather relates to the “telephone numbers dialed [or] length of calls.” . . .

In place of the current program, the bill creates a scheme that is far less agile and far more burdensome. It requires the government to seek a court order requiring the production of records from third parties, namely call detail records, related to a “specific selection term.” This is defined as “a term that specifically identifies a person, account, address, or personal device, or another specific identifier, that is used by the Government to narrowly limit the scope of tangible things sought to the greatest extent reasonably practicable, consistent with the purpose for seeking the tangible things.” Its practical effect is to make it more difficult for the government to seek call detail records from third parties, where the Constitution does not legally require such a burden.

Republicans on the intelligence committee have warned colleagues about the bill’s threats to necessary intelligence-gathering. And former attorney general Mike Mukasey and former CIA director Michael Hayden likewise argue:

Nothing in the bill requires the telephone companies to preserve the metadata for any prescribed period. . . .

The bill’s imposition of the warrant requirement on the NSA would be more burdensome than what any assistant U.S. attorney must do to get metadata in a routine criminal case, which is simply to aver that the information is needed in connection with a criminal investigation—period.

Proponents say this change is necessary to allay fears that the NSA could use telephone metadata to construct an electronic portrait of an American citizen’s communications, and determine whether that person has, say, consulted a psychiatrist, or called someone else’s spouse. However, only 22 people at the NSA are permitted access to metadata, and only upon a showing of relevance to a national-security investigation, and they are barred from any data-mining whatsoever even in connection with such an investigation. . . .

[T]he nearly uniform success of the government before the FISA court is due both to the government’s careful restraint in presenting applications, and to pushback from the court itself—which results in the amendment of applications. Even when the government applies for wiretaps or search warrants in ordinary criminal cases there is no advocate opposing the application.

Nonetheless, this new bill would establish a permanent advocate appointed by the court to oppose the government’s applications before the FISA court. This provision has elicited an extraordinary written objection from a former presiding judge of the FISA court. U.S. District Judge John D. Bates points out that the presence of such an advocate, who cannot conceivably be aware of all the facts, would simply add to the burdens of the court and could wind up sacrificing both national security and privacy.

This bill redefines the FISA court, which was never meant to be an adversary tribunal and was imposed simply as an added safeguard in the 1970s, without regard to its history or its purpose. Worse, it is a three-headed constitutional monster: It is a violation of both the separation of powers principle and the Constitution’s appointments clause by having judges rather than the president appoint the public advocate, and then it has the advocate litigate against the Justice Department when both executive offices are supposed to be controlled by the president.

It is a rotten, destructive response in search of a problem. And for self-described constitutional purists, this bill should be an outrage, not a solution.

As you may recall, an independent panel appointed to review the program found zero abuses, perhaps why Obama keeps reauthorizing it. Unlike Iran sanctions, however, there is no sign the administration wants to dispatch Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to prevent a vote on a bill at odds with current policy. To the contrary, administration officials have coughed up their approval, all the while noting that it risks damaging U.S. national security. (How they can be “comfortable” with the bill “even as they conceded that the bill may have ‘additional impacts that we will be able to identify only after we start to implement the new law’” is unfathomable.)

Nevertheless, we should be delighted to see the Senate weigh in on the measure. Who in that body would risk disrupting a successful, abuse-free program at a time we are worried about hundreds of foreign jihadists plotting to return to their home countries to murder innocents? We know where the far left of the Democratic Party stands, but what about the self-described moderates? Where does Hillary Clinton really stand?

It also can be a clarifying moment for Republicans. Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who has railed against the program, sued the administration to stop it and falsely implied it allows unrestricted listening in on our calls, claims the bill does not go far enough. Think about that. When it comes to anti-terror surveillance, he is to the left of Obama and Leahy. So much for his claim to be a mainstream Republican on national security.

Meanwhile, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) – who has also dabbled in anti-surveillance hysteria and seeks to grab some of the far-right presidential primary vote — is supporting the bill along with Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and the American Civil Liberties Union. He should explain why Hayden and Mukasey are wrong. Why should mainstream Republicans imagine he understands any better than Rand Paul the necessity of data collection to fight our real enemy, the jihadists (not the federal government)? What does he think is so broken in a program thoroughly reviewed for abuses that would justify hamstringing our intelligence collection? (Both this stance and his groundless assertion that airpower alone can win the war against the Islamic State suggest he is closer to Paul than to the pro-defense Republicans, despite months of tough-sounding speeches.)

By contrast, former ambassador to the United Nations and potential presidential candidate John Bolton says, “As the level and violence of terrorist attacks is rising worldwide, this is precisely the worst time to impose further restrictions on U.S. Intelligence gathering capabilities.”

Republicans should be looking for officials and candidates who are brave enough to support an effective and critical program. Frankly, a Republican seeking the presidency — or election or reelection to the Senate for that matter — should be soundly rejected if he chooses to sacrifice national security in order to play to the fears of the public and posture for the votes of paranoid libertarians. The GOP and the country need someone to reverse Obama’s lackadaisical national security posture, not double down on it and not wilt when the mainstream media distorts and exaggerates the threat to our civil liberties. That would be standing up and leading.

We have to stand our ground at some point. The NSA spying is very unpopular, and Rand will try to connect the dots from the NSA spying to the PATRIOT Act in the public consciousness, which is what needs to happen.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I heard Amash say that this bill, that started out pretty killer and had Justin Amash as one of the original cosponsors, was so butchered when it got out of the house that he was hopeful it would fail. he voted against this. Rand can just follow Amash' lead on items born in the people's house.

originally it was worthy of the title "freedom act." when it got to the senate it was an oxymoron.

Rand did the right thing.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Does it bother anyone that Tom Cotton, Marco Rubio, Lindsey Graham, and John McCain also "blocked" this bill?

I'm assuming that most of the "nays" were because the bill did not go far enough in advancing the police state.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Bingo

These people can never acknowledge even the slightest flaw (no matter how trivial) in the national security state, because public confidence in the whole thing rests on the perceived omniscience and omnipotence of the state. Strong-men have to hide their imperfections from the public: nobody can know FDR is a cripple, Kim Jong Il never gets the hiccups, Putin wrestles bears, etc.

So the bill was originally built to do two things:

Reign in the NSA, including their collection of Metadata
    AND
    Renew the Patriot Act

As it was voted on... the first notion was grossly watered down and the bill was essentially just a renewal of the Patriot Act.

However you got 4 opposing Bootlegger and Baptist coalitions voting:

YEA = Renew the Patriot Act at the expense of moderate Reforms
    or
    YEA = Support moderate NSA Reforms, unfortunately renew PA to do so.

NAY = Do not renew the Patriot Act, reforms inadequate.
    or
    NAY = Not willing to make any NSA Reforms

The words convoluted, byzantine, and circuitous come to mind.

Essentially nothing happened. Stalemate.
    Last edited by presence; 11-19-2014 at 12:29 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Marcy Wheeler digs pretty deep into these surveillance bills, so here's her bullet points for why she opposes it. Click the link for more details.

https://www.emptywheel.net/2014/11/1...a-freedom-act/

As you may remember, I don’t support USAF. Here’s a summary of why.

1 - No one will say how the key phone record provision of the bill will work

2 - USAF negotiates from a weak position and likely moots potentially significant court gains

3 - USAF’s effects in limiting bulk collection are overstated

4 - USAF would eliminate any pushback from providers

5 - USAF may have the effect of weakening existing minimization procedures

6 - USAF’s transparency provisions are bull$#@!

7 - Other laudable provisions — like the Advocate — will easily be undercut
    On the downside, Feinstein/Chambliss have competing legislation which McConnell actually favors.

Collins, don't try to spin us. You owe us more respect than that. Save it for the idiot crowd in the media.

Wow. Cruz voted yes?

Both of my Senators voted no??

WTF is this Twilight Zone episode Im watching!??!
    Freedom Report

Twitter Page

"I am convinced that there are more threats to American liberty within the 10 mile radius of my office on Capitol Hill than there are on the rest of the globe." -- Ron Paul

If Rand can turn voting for the Patriot bill into an election losing event, then he doesn't need to win a vote to kill it as it will sunset itself. If the senate gets messy enough we could run out the clock on it.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    So the bill was originally built to do two things:

Reign in the NSA, including their collection of Metadata
    AND
    Renew the Patriot Act

As it was voted on... the first notion was grossly watered down and the bill was essentially just a renewal of the Patriot Act.

However you got 4 opposing Bootlegger and Baptist coalitions voting:

YEA = Renew the Patriot Act at the expense of moderate Reforms
    or
    YEA = Support moderate NSA Reforms, unfortunately renew PA to do so.

NAY = Do not renew the Patriot Act, reforms inadequate.
    or
    NAY = Not willing to make any NSA Reforms

Essentially nothing happened. Stalemate.
    Yep. That is what it is.
    But I guess that stalemate is the first step in slamming the breaks on the runaway train. Now if we could just get the sucker into reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Collins, don't try to spin us. You owe us more respect than that. Save it for the idiot crowd in the media.
    This^
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

This is an unfortunate position Rand has been put in but I suspect he'll turn it to his favor and use it to draw more attention to the Patriot Act.

This is a great grass roots opportunity for some subterfuge: rather than accuse No voters of doing it for the wrong reasons we should get the message out through various channels that they should be celebrated for their courage in opposing Patriot Act renewal. When they see that they are on the side of a wave of American popularity they might flip when the bill to renew comes up again.

As a bonus, if they don't, we can have it proclaimed that they are inconsistent pawns of the corporate elite, let them defend against that! This drags them out from under the rotten log.

Quote Originally Posted by surf View Post
    I heard Amash say that this bill, that started out pretty killer and had Justin Amash as one of the original cosponsors, was so butchered when it got out of the house that he was hopeful it would fail. he voted against this. Rand can just follow Amash' lead on items born in the people's house.

originally it was worthy of the title "freedom act." when it got to the senate it was an oxymoron.

Rand did the right thing.
    Leahy's bill isn't the same as the bill that passed the house. It's stronger than that bill, which is why Rubio, McCain, Graham, etc. all voted against it.

Mike Lee??? That's surprising to me, as is Cruz, since they both stood with Rand in the past.
    "We live in an age where things change rather rapidly, whether politically or economically and certainly in foreign policy things change, so this whole ball game can change rather rapidly.” ― Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by No1butPaul View Post
    Mike Lee??? That's surprising to me, as is Cruz, since they both stood with Rand in the past.
    Again, Lee and Cruz's votes were far more pro liberty than those who voted against this bill for the reason that it went too far in reigning in the NSA. Marco Rubio got up on the Senate floor and talked about how we were all going to get killed by ISIS if this bill passed.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Not every thread posted at RPF is addressed to the choir. To some degree this site is a liberty news portal to the general public.

Rand Blocks the Renewal of Patriot Act
    ...makes good sound bytes.
    Last edited by presence; 11-19-2014 at 09:39 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I predict ultimately the Patriot Act will be extended and the NSA will not be reformed. I'm in unsure if this was a good move. Time will tell.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

The comsotarians whine that he was letting the perfect be the enemy of the "merely better," as if any of it would stop anyway.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/11/19/se...he-national-se

Paul said immediately after the vote that he “felt bad” about his vote against the motion.

“They probably needed my vote,” he said, opposing Leahy’s bill because it would extend the sunset provisions for the laws authorizing surveillance. “It’s hard for me to vote for something I object to so much.”
    Although his single vote would not have been enough to open up debate, Paul should nevertheless have heeded the insight of the developer of radar Robert Alexander Watson-Watt who explained, "Give them the third best to go on with; the second best comes too late, the best never comes." I am no parliamentarian, but it appears that under Senate rules because Paul voted with the prevailing side, he could move to have the Senate reconsider the bill, although it seems unlikely that he will do so.

Paul and the rest of his fellow citizens may well come to rue the day that he allowed the perfect to get in the way of the merely better.
    http://powerofnarrative.blogspot.com...m-is-dead.html

As a result of the recent NSA/surveillance stories, there is much debate about the NSA and its massive spying apparatus. But as the existence of InfraGard shows, the NSA is only the beginning of what should concern us. In fact, and it gives me no pleasure to say this, but it's better to face the truth as fully as we can, if the NSA ceased to exist today, it would not make any appreciable difference in the surveillance activities of the United States government.
    [...]
    As I already noted, you could eliminate the NSA entirely this very minute, and it wouldn't make a damned bit of difference. But the heightened focus on the NSA, while ignoring all the other agencies and programs involved in similar and even identical activities, leads directly to the "solution" that will make the State writhe in ecstasy. Congress will have some hearings, and they will provide for some "oversight" and "accountability," and most people, including most of the State's critics, will herald the great triumph of "the people" and "democracy." Meanwhile, the State will continue doing exactly what it was doing before.

http://ohtarzie.wordpress.com/2013/0...nowden-effect/
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    When you have some "authoritarians" united with some "libertarians" in opposing something (the former because it "goes too far" and the latter because it "doesn't go far enough") - and at the same time you have other "authoritarians" united with other "libertarians" in supporting the very same thing (the former because it "goes adequately far" and the latter because it "doesn't go too far") ... well, then you know that you have reached the utter and droolingly vacuous wit's end of politics ...

And that's not even considering the fact that you could simply "reverse the polarity" of the "goes far" rhetoric and it would STILL amount to exactly the same thing (for example, "authoritarians" in opposition to this bill could say that it "doesn't go far enough" and "libertarians" in opposition could say that it "goes too far") ...

SMGDH ... but what else can you expect from such a grotesque mish-mash of "X steps forward, Y steps backward" stuffed into the same bag? ... it's like a Trojan Horse for everybody ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-19-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

The official press release from Rand's office:

Sen. Paul Blocks the Renewal of Patriot Act
    ‘One step closer to restoring liberty’
    Nov 18, 2014

Earlier this evening, Sen. Rand Paul voted against further consideration of the USA Freedom Act as it currently extends key provisions of the Patriot Act until 2017. Sen. Paul led the charge against the Patriot Act extension and offered the following statement:

“In the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Americans were eager to catch and punish the terrorists who attacked us. I, like most Americans, demanded justice. But one common misconception is that the Patriot Act applies only to foreigners—when in reality, the Patriot Act was instituted precisely to widen the surveillance laws to include U.S. citizens,” Sen. Paul said, “As Benjamin Franklin put it, ‘those who trade their liberty for security may wind up with neither.’ Today’s vote to oppose further consideration of the Patriot Act extension proves that we are one step closer to restoring civil liberties in America.”
    http://www.paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1244
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast