Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 feet / 24 hrs Lake Effect Snow in Buffalo NY; 2+ feet more forecast

4 feet / 24 hrs Lake Effect Snow in Buffalo NY; 2+ feet more forecast

"white-out conditions"

Buffalo, NY, area in the midst of a truly insane lake effect snow storm

Washington Post (blog)-2 hours ago

http://www.wunderground.com/news/lak...tario-20141115

12 miles of I90 CLOSED, 100+ vehicles stranded
    sections of US 219 and NY 400, closed; 105-mile stretch of the state Thruway
    Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo dispatched the National Guard
    In West Seneca, New York, 10 of the city's 22 snow plows were reportedly stuck
    The setup is so volatile that lightning is occurring with some of the snow squalls.
    Snowfall rates could reach 3 inches per hour

note to self: zippo hand warmer in the glove box
    Last edited by presence; 11-18-2014 at 07:21 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    "white-out conditions"

Buffalo, NY, area in the midst of a truly insane lake effect snow storm

Washington Post (blog)-2 hours ago

12 miles of I90 CLOSED, 100+ vehicles stranded
    sections of US 219 and NY 400, closed; 105-mile stretch of the state Thruway
    Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo dispatched the National Guard

note to self: zippo hand warmer in the glove box
    from the looks of the snow depth, i don't think anyone is going anywhere...or shouldn't...

take food, water, extra clothes and blankets....flares might be a good idea as well if you really want to challenge mom-nature..

This advice was given by the Mayor of Buffalo during the 1985 blizzard but it's sound advice for anyone, anywhere facing nasty winter weather.

Buffalo Mayor Jimmy "six pack" Griffin
    Stay inside, grab a six-pack and watch a good football game

Sounds and looks just like Buffalo, NY EVERY YEAR.

NYS Thruway

Last edited by presence; 11-19-2014 at 01:08 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Man, the al gore images are falling like snow in buffalo.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The reason the GW (whether man-made or not) is not debunked by this weather is because with less ice in the pole, there is more mobility of arctic air.

As the ice melts in your Whiskey on the rocks, the result is first for the whiskey to get cooler, even as the total temp of the system increases.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

Jesus. I'm going to have to check on my brother, he drives in that area.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by mczerone View Post
    The reason the GW (whether man-made or not) is not debunked by this weather is because with less ice in the pole, there is more mobility of arctic air.

As the ice melts in your Whiskey on the rocks, the result is first for the whiskey to get cooler, even as the total temp of the system increases.
    I do like your analogy - probably the best one I've seen. Does this analogy attribute the cold weather to Chatelier's principal?

Having lived on a moraine in the Great Lakes region, I have seen the effects of "global warming" and "climate change", first hand. Although, these glaciers had melted long before I ever existed - long before fossil fuels came into common use.

During my childhood, every "coldest day" record was set for the 20th century, but 1 - all during my childhood. So the weather I've seen looks more like the weather that I remember as a kid - pretty cool to see my kids playing in 4' of snow. Whenever these records are set, they're typically compared with temps from the early 1900's or late 1800's. I guess before then we were really not a country, did not keep record, or did not have proper instrumentation.

So the so the so called "science" tells me, based on records from the 1800's and 1900's, what is happening now, and somehow my truck and the light bulbs I use are to blame. Meanwhile, I see the moraine and think, what the hell were people driving during the ice ages? Where was Al Gore then?

History, as far as I can tell, suggests that there always was climate change, and that there will always be climate change. What I question is the impact human beings has on climate change, and whether the earth is really facing the end. I just dont buy it. Not one bit. Especially considering that the use of fossil fuels simply releases energy and co2 from prehistoric times. The earth was a lot hotter during the days of the dinosaurs - what the hell kind of light bulbs were they using? The co2 ppm was higher back then too- with a greater amount of plants. I have a hard time dismissing all of this.

At some point, "man" needs to quit being so arrogant and realize there are things that we cannot stop. I think this whole man-made climate change is a ruse put on by those who have money to make on it. Its a shame so many people are buying into it without questioning.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Buffalo Bills: Dig Out Our Stadium, Get Free Tickets

Newser) – The Buffalo Bills are supposed to play the New York Jets on Sunday, but there's something standing in the way: The 220,000 tons of snow Ralph Wilson Stadium and the surrounding area was buried in by this week's freak storm. The team is looking for people to help dig out the stadium and is offering $10 per hour—plus free game tickets. "We're looking to have 500 shovelers on site working those triple shifts," a team spokesman tells the Post-Standard, urging would-be shovelers to call 716-636-4840. "We don't have a minimum number. We can't have too many people helping," he says. With yet more snow set to fall, the game may still have to be moved or postponed, and the NFL says it's working with the Bills to determine the state of the stadium, reports the New York Daily News.
    http://www.newser.com/story/198910/b...e-tickets.html

Bills should put in a retractable roof. But that likely won't happen til they move to Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Sounds and looks just like Buffalo, NY EVERY YEAR.
    Really, this is typical for Buffalo NY? and people built a city there? I don't think so. No way this is an every year typical occurrence for Buffalo. This is not just cold, this is crippling weather.

The highest snowfall total for the Buffalo area this time was 65 inches, recorded in Cheektowaga. National Weather Service meteorologist David Church said that forecasters haven't determined yet how this storm ranks, but that 60 to 70 inches in 24 hours is probably in the top five for the region.

The heaviest 24-hour snowfall on record in the Lower 48 states is 75.8 inches, which fell at Silver Lake, Colorado, in 1921, according to the government.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/o...ecord-27044139

Quote Originally Posted by mczerone View Post

Wrong, in your analogy, the system is not just the ice and the whiskey. The system is the ice, glass, whiskey and the atmosphere around the whiskey. If the system is cooler than it was last week when you poured the your whiskey, then you cannot come out and say we have a warming crisis. The system as a whole is getting colder, not just the ocean temperatures. So in a way, last year's colder than normal winter, this year cool summers and the early freeze we are having now cannot be a sign of a warming crisis.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Wrong,

[]

cannot be a sign of a warming crisis.

It can if the volume of ice at the poles [or in the whiskey] is less.

Latent heat of ice > specific heat of atmosphere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_heat
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity

So lets take two 50' F 1 oz shots of whiskey and put them in a cooler maintained at 70' F

In shot one we'll add 1oz of 32' F ice
    In shot two we'll add 1oz of 32' F water

You'll find the whiskey in shot one will get colder before it settles out at 70' F, whereas the whiskey in shot 2 will steadily climb to 70' F.

It can if the volume of ice at the poles [or in the whiskey] is less.

Latent heat of ice > specific heat of atmosphere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_heat
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity

So lets take two 50' F 1 oz shots of whiskey and put them in a cooler maintained at 70' F

In shot one we'll add 1oz of 32' F ice
    In shot two we'll add 1oz of 32' F water

You'll find the whiskey in shot one will get colder before it settles out at 70' F, whereas the whiskey in shot 2 will steadily climb to 70' F.

First of all your scenario is a bit confusing to me, the 50'F whiskey is maintained in a 70'F cooler. How is it maintained and for how long? cos depending on that answer, the temp of the whiskey is going up to 70'F. Also the temperatures of both whiskey will be going down before settling at 70"F (inside the maintained 70'F cooler) with the addition of either 32'F water or ICE. Will the whiskey with ice in it see a bigger drop in temp? yes, but both glasses will still experience a drop in temp before settling at 70'F

Then again, this is not the point that I am arguing. My point is that if the system as a whole is getting cooler, it cannot be a sign of warming. We have more sea ice than we had last year, temperatures are cooler, we have more snow, earlier than normal freeze across the board, very wet and cool summer (at least here in the mid west) and some people want to claim that somehow all that cannot be used to disprove climate change which is essence is due to a warming earth aka global warming.

Yeah it's definitely global COOLING.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Yeah it's definitely global COOLING.
    That increases costs , so , not so good .

Really, this is typical for Buffalo NY? and people built a city there? I don't think so. No way this is an every year typical occurrence for Buffalo. This is not just cold, this is crippling weather.
    Fall of 1944 to spring of 1946 there was around 231 inches in Buffalo .

Fall 1960 to spring 1962 , about 204 inches .But , yeah, I would not have put a city there , or Syracuse , LOL

First of all your scenario is a bit confusing to me, the 50'F whiskey is maintained in a 70'F cooler.
    Two shots of 50' F whiskey in 70' climate controlled vessel/room/cooler etc. One with 1oz of 32 water added, one with 1oz 32 ice added.

We have more sea ice than we had last year
    we do? refer back to PIOMAS 1979-2013 spiral and please cite in km^3
    Last edited by presence; 11-20-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Two shots of 50' F whiskey in 70' climate controlled vessel/room/cooler etc. One with 1oz of 32 water added, one with 1oz 32 ice added.

we do? refer back to PIOMAS 1979-2013 spiral and please cite in km^3

Follow the link below to the table for Sea ice extent for October 2014 and see for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHpFyDzzZGk

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Follow the link below to the table for Sea ice extent for October 2014 and see for yourself.

Which has more extent:

A 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of computer paper or
    a 6" cube of pine?

Which is more wood?

Which has more extent:

a 6" cube of pine?

Which is more wood?
    I dunno why you are asking me this question or what it has to do with the link I gave you. But my answer is computer paper having more wood with area of at least 93.5 inch cube of wood. Now can you please tell me what this got to do with the link I gave you.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Fall of 1944 to spring of 1946 there was around 231 inches in Buffalo .
    That is a lot of snow, but your stat says nothing about the distribution of the snow fall which is very important to the discussion. My point was that if this type of 1-3 day snow fall is a yearly or even every 2-3 years type even for Buffalo, human beings would not have setup a settlement there. This kind of stuff were it to happen regularly would kill a sizable amount of people in a pre and early post industrial cities every time it occurred.

This doesn't seem to show the worst of it:

NYS Thruway

$#@! ALL THAT.

Pic out my back door - 63 and sunny, bitches!
    EX-USCG

What is the difference between a hero and a cop? A hero will not hesitate to risk his life to protect your safety, a cop will not hesitate to risk your life to protect his safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Authoritarian leftists. Political prisoners. Gulags. Where are we again?

Which has more extent:

a 6" cube of pine?

Which is more wood?
    I truly apologize, the link I meant to post was this(below) but for some damn reason, my eyes reads what I am thinking not what I am seeing and for a day or two now, I was wondering why you haven't replied to me. Anyway, look at the link for yourself and check out the sea ice extent for oct 2014. The unit is in area not perimeter so we are talking volume here.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global-snow/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast