Thread: Digital Promise Education Spin

Question Digital Promise Education Spin

I really don't know what to think of this. The "21st Century" education model seems to be the old, failed "Open Classroom Concept" of the 60's and 70's. Maybe I'm just cynical. So I would appreciate any input or opinions on this:

http://www.digitalpromise.org/blog/e...rk-to-overcome

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is why I'm ambivalent at this point: on a recent Freedom Feens broadcast, there a teen who was taking advantage of student-directed learning to earn credit in a couple of academic areas by studying podcasting, etc., setting up his own podcast, and "studying" Michael W. Dean! So it works for a certain kind of person/student.
    What do you think?

Try going back to the "one room school house - for all ages"...

Class size is limited to 100 (best under 75) students with
    only one teacher.

Trivium, Quadrivium and Three "R's" (all via HTTP port 80).

+++

Kids will need time off for chores and working the fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinnuhana View Post
    I really don't know what to think of this. The "21st Century" education model seems to be the old, failed "Open Classroom Concept" of the 60's and 70's. Maybe I'm just cynical. So I would appreciate any input or opinions on this:

http://www.digitalpromise.org/blog/e...rk-to-overcome
    Mixed bag. Challenge 1 - Competency-based learning. What is the definition of the term? One cannot assume a universal definition. Based on MY definition of the term, the point is valid. But then they revert to idiocy with "badges and certifications". Such devices have no necessary value. They say nothing of real competence. They serve only as a foot in the door... however, if everyone has them, then they mean nothing. This also reeks of OSFA (One Size Fits All) education., despite being labeled "personalized". Personalized in what way?

#3 pretty well tears it for me: "DEALING with people who aren't believers" What is this, school or a cult?

The rest of it smells of rampant hand-waving. I've been down these paths before on numerous fronts, including that of "education". It is all bull$#@! by well intended people who cook up these good-sounding broadly expressed notions but have no idea how to put them into practice. That, of course, is always left to someone else. The result is nothing new, save the labels tacked on to the same rotten means.

People who are serious about this don't hold grandiose-sounding conventions. They get to the work at the level at which a man is able to affect it, which is always local. OSFA thinking, not matter how broad the menu, is always shyte. These people are so blinded by the tree that they are not even aware a forest exists.

This is likely more of the SOS.
    Last edited by osan; 11-19-2014 at 07:26 AM.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.