Thread: Cold, dead hands: Buffalo to seize guns from families following owners' funerals

Cold, dead hands: Buffalo to seize guns from families following owners' funerals

And so it begins...

Cold, dead hands: Buffalo to seize guns from families following owners' funerals

A plan by police in Buffalo, N.Y., to begin confiscating the firearms of legal gun owners within days of their deaths is drawing fire from Second Amendment advocates.

The plan is legal under a longstanding, but rarely enforced state law, but gun rights advocates say, with apologies to onetime NRA spokesman Charlton Heston, it is tantamount to prying firearms - some of which may have substantial monetary or sentimental value - from the cold, dead hands of law-abiding citizens.

"They're quick to say they're going to take the guns," said Tom King, president of the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association. "But they don't tell you the law doesn't apply to long guns, or that these families can sell [their loved one's] pistol or apply to keep it."

King said enforcing the state law is the latest example of authorities targeting law-abiding gun owners, while doing little to secure the streets.

Buffalo Police Commissioner Daniel Derrenda said at a press conference last week that the department will be sending people to collect guns that belong to pistol permit holders who had died so "they don't end up in the wrong hands." The department will cross reference pistol permit holders with death records and the guns will be collected when possible, he said.

Derrenda said guns pose a threat if their owner is no longer alive to safeguard them, especially if a recently-deceased gun owner's home is burglarized.

"At times they lay out there and the family is not aware of them and they end up just out on the street," he said, according to WGRZ.com.

The state law says that if the permit holder dies, the estate has 15 days to dispose of the guns or turn them in to authorities, who can hold the weapons up to two years. LoHud.com reported that violation of the law by survivors is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine.

Pro-gun websites took Derrenda's comments as an affront to the Second Amendment, with BearingArms.com claiming authorities could "use the relative's pistol permit as the proverbial camel's nose under the tent to get at every firearm they can, hoping to remove all the firearms from the home while the family is at their most vulnerable."

The state law has been in the books for years but not enforced, King said. The Erie County Sheriff's Office told FoxNews.com that it learned about the Buffalo police decision after the announcement, but has no plans to invoke it on a regular basis as the city of Buffalo does.

Dominic Saraceno, a Buffalo defense attorney, said he anticipates legal challenges. He is concerned that family members may simply allow police to retrieve the guns while not realizing their value.

"These gun collections can value into the hundreds of thousands," he said. "If a police officer came to my door without a warrant signed by a judge, I'm not giving them anything. Most people don't know that and get intimidated."

Calls to Buffalo's mayor's office and to the police department were not returned. But the city has employed other programs, including buy-backs, to help counter gun violence. One such program took place in August and netted 840 guns. Critics of these buy-back programs say most people who turn in their guns are likely law-abiding citizens and these numbers do not necessarily estimate illegal guns off the streets.

"I say to those critics, again, if we can get one of these guns off the streets that could be used to commit a crime or injure a member of our community, it's a good thing," Mayor Byron Brown told WIVB during the summer.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/14...lardiscussions

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Golly the old folks in NY sure seem to have a lot of boating accidents involving lost pistols.....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Golly the old folks in NY sure seem to have a lot of boating accidents involving lost pistols.....
    My thoughts exactly..."Gee, occifer I don't know where it could be. The old man was going senile. He may have sold it or lost it for all we know."

The department will cross reference pistol permit holders with death records and the guns will be collected when possible, he said.
    They're able to do this to steal dead people's guns, but no one can figure out how to cross reference voter registration roles with death records?

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    They're able to do this to steal dead people's guns, but no one can figure out how to cross reference voter registration roles with death records?

Great point!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Dipshits , all of them. I would not live there . But , none of my sidearms are reg.'d .

This is where following actions leads to the true objective. They benefit from voter fraud while swindling politicians fear an armed citizenry. I cant say I blame them - If I was a piece of sh!t politician, ripping off all of my constituents, I' sure as heck would not want them to have guns either. Nothing worse than a bunch of stupid voters with guns - ammiright, or ammiright?

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Does not serve the state's interests, comrade.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    rep well deserved here

Buffalo, where they make arrests in less than 20% of the murder cases.

Who said gun registration does not lead to confiscation?
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Holy $#@!... that was outstanding.

Pony up boys, excellence must be rewarded.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    Buffalo, where they make arrests in less than 20% of the murder cases.

Who said gun registration does not lead to confiscation?
    Probably Mao. Or was it Obama...

I really cannot tell the two apart.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I would steal my family's guns and make it look like a break in at their house...
    It's just an opinion... man...

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    I would steal my family's guns and make it look like a break in at their house...
    I would not live in Buffalo ,although ,my Mothers people were originally from the area , most left at the conclusion of the Revolutionary War to go to a place less desired by statists , after we helped them to victory. Then the great earth quake made it more desirable ( swamp draining ) . Then they came again . Actually asking us to leave , some did . We did not.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Holy $#@!... that was outstanding.

Pony up boys, excellence must be rewarded.
    That was one of those posts where you wish you could rep that repeatedly.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.