Thread: Interstellar - no spoilers

Interstellar - no spoilers

Good film. Good story lines. Good tech. I liked it, which is surprising because the big budget productions usually suck. Three hours long... went by like 90 minutes. Kept my attention. I am approve.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    seconded.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Thanks, it's on my list.

Heading to see it Saturday or Sunday hopefully. Either that or gonna drag the wife Thanksgiving night.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Wormhole visuals were awesome and quite innovative
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    seconded.
    I enthusiastically 2nd you second.

BTW, that 180 minute to 90 minute movie run-time compression perception
    phenomena is completely explained within the film. Relatively amazing...

Additionally FYI, I watched it twice and it seemed like only 90 minutes, both times!

+++

(Don't expect hardcore, air-tight physics, it's just very interesting/entertaining.)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting...all of the hardcore movie goers(at least two movies a week) that I know said it sucked.

I'll wait, tired of spending that much money on a movie and being disappointed, as has happened just about every time in the last 10 years.

<looks at Godzilla and Gone Girl with the stink eye>

God what a $#@!ing waste of IMAX 3d Godzilla was - my wife and my friend had to repeatedly wake me up during the movie, lol..
    EX-USCG

What is the difference between a hero and a cop? A hero will not hesitate to risk his life to protect your safety, a cop will not hesitate to risk your life to protect his safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Authoritarian leftists. Political prisoners. Gulags. Where are we again?

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    (Don't expect hardcore, air-tight physics, it's just very interesting/entertaining.)
    I think that that was part of what made the film good - it acknowledged that our expectations based in hard science may not always pan out. That they were not prepared for some of what they found v. what they expected was pretty cool.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by coastie View Post
    Interesting...all of the hardcore movie goers(at least two movies a week) that I know said it sucked.
    Depends on what is important to the viewer. There was no shoot-em-up, no warp-9, endless fuel, particle weapons, and so forth. I would also note that often times people will say something sucked for the sake of appearing sophisticated in their tastes... so much so that NOTHING is really quite good enough for them. I say beware such people because they are cynical, that in turn because they are weak and afraid in some unhealthy capacity. I didn't go with expectations, but took it for what it was and had a good time with it. Heaven knows it stands head and shoulders above most of the drech Hollywood foists upon us.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Depends on what is important to the viewer. There was no shoot-em-up, no warp-9, endless fuel, particle weapons, and so forth. I would also note that often times people will say something sucked for the sake of appearing sophisticated in their tastes... so much so that NOTHING is really quite good enough for them. I say beware such people because they are cynical, that in turn because they are weak and afraid in some unhealthy capacity. I didn't go with expectations, but took it for what it was and had a good time with it. Heaven knows it stands head and shoulders above most of the drech Hollywood foists upon us.

Lol, I trust these people's opinions on such things, and none of them could be described with the words "weak and afraid". OK, I'll give you the one couple, tey're a little weird....

Couldn't possibly be as bad as Godzilla 3d or TRON 3d was, between the two movies they had a total of 7.5 minutes of 3d in them. The 3d previews were more entertaining than the movies.
    EX-USCG

What is the difference between a hero and a cop? A hero will not hesitate to risk his life to protect your safety, a cop will not hesitate to risk your life to protect his safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Authoritarian leftists. Political prisoners. Gulags. Where are we again?

Interstellar is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Beautiful visual effects, awesome acting, and of course a great story. I took a look at Bill Still's "review" and it seemed like sour grapes to me. It also seemed like he had a problem with it because of the global warming / crop blight angle. I expect stuff like that from Rush Limbaugh.

I saw Interstellar in IMAX and the two hours and 50 minutes just flew by. I actually cried watching this, which is weird for me because I can count on one hand the movies I've felt compelled to cry at, and this movie wasn't really billed as a tearjerker. I basically cried every time Matthew McConaughey cried. I also thought it was going to be too difficult to understand, but my rudimentary physics education was enough for me to get 90% of what was going on. I would definitely love to see this again.

As a final note, Hans Zimmer's score was enough to make the movie worth it for me. Seriously perfect.
    Last edited by Rothbardian Girl; 11-29-2014 at 07:34 PM.
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

Sorry, double post.
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

Good movie. Not enough explosions.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I saw it over the break. Thought it was pretty fantastic. For most people today, if it's cerebral that = boring. Those people would have thought 2001 A space Odyssey was boring too. A movie that uses a story and an idea and then has fantastic visuals is everlasting. I'll take this type film anyday.

If you want things that blow up, go watch a Transformer movie and drool like a vegetable. Me.... I'll watch this probably 3 more times over my lifetime just to see what else reveals itself.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Interstellar Liberty and the Foibles of Progressivism
    http://blog.independent.org/2014/11/...progressivism/

Spoiler Alert: This blog post may contain clues to key plot points in the 2014 film Interstellar.

One of the cornerstones of progressive political thought is that experts should be put in charge of public policy, using “scientific” management and “evidence-based” policy analysis to determine and implement social policy. Few areas of policy have been more steeped in this perspective than science policy. But this idea may have taken a pop culture hit in Christopher Nolan’s new film Interstellar although it might be difficult to see at first.

At first blush, Interstellar seems like a conventional trope—the Earth is fast forwarding into environmental apocalypse, and it’s up to a few brave scientists and a NASA test pilot to find a new world for humans to colonize. The epic space opera includes a ton of great special effects, a tight script, and excellent acting by Matthew McConaughey (as former NASA test pilot Joseph Cooper), Anne Hathaway (as NASA scientist Amelia Brand), Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine (Dr. John Brand), John Lithgow, Matt Damon (Dr. Mann) among others.

But the story embedded in Interstellar may be more important for what it leaves out than what it includes. Rather than take the politically correct approach that puts humans at the center of the climate catastrophe (although overpopulation is given a nod, possibly for popular plausibility), the movie explores hope, perseverance, and human creativity. It’s in the area of human creativity where the Nolan’s screenplay establishes a clear but subtle critique of experts as the arbiters of the humanity’s future and an implicit argument for liberty as essential to innovation...
    Spoilers at the link. I'll see it when I can watch it at home.
    Last edited by Lucille; 12-01-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Thanks for the thoughts. I plan on seeing it as soon as possible.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I haven't watched it, but I will when it is eventually aired on television. Afterall, that is our destiny. I wish!

I watched Expendables 2 end of the month, I couldn't help notice old Arnold, the former governor. But I found the film rather boring after almost an hour. A 2012 release, I remember the adverts at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ctiger2 View Post
    Bill Still didn't like it

Good movie. I agree with Still about the volume of dialogue, namely that it was many time indiscernible from the background ruckus. I feel like I need to watch it again because I missed some important lines. Regardless, I don't think this movie quite deserves the IMDB it has at 8.9. 8.2 - 8.4 would be more worthy. The Metascore at 74 is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
    Good movie. I agree with Still about the volume of dialogue, namely that it was many time indiscernible from the background ruckus. I feel like I need to watch it again because I missed some important lines. Regardless, I don't think this movie quite deserves the IMDB it has at 8.9. 8.2 - 8.4 would be more worthy. The Metascore at 74 is fair.
    I wondered about this or if my local Cinema speakers were bad. The same goes for Nolan's Inception. It seemed like in both movies the audio for the background sound and dialogue were hard to tell apart.

Otherwise, my main nitpick is I thought Matt Damon's character was annoying. I won't go into specifics to avoid spoilers, but I feel his type of characters is getting to be a cliche in space adventure movie to create conflict in the plot. Much like the weird captain in Sunshine.

I rate a great movie to where I would pay to see it again. Sorry Osan, but I couldn't get out of the theater fast enough.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Bump for blu-ray release on March 31.

What people are calling issues with the audio is intentional, I wasn't a big fan of it either. He does it in Inception, too. Explanation at this link:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...stellar-749465

My favorite parts were:
    - the truck in the cornfield (mini wormhole),
    - the first time they cross Saturn,
    - Miller's planet was kinda cool because it was like a blank canvas,
    - going through the wormhole (the rattling sounds are similar to what stars sound like in the video below):

- the famous docking scene, mostly because of the score:

- the ending

Overall, it has elements from 2001 and Contact, and an impressive demonstration of the Nolans' unhealthy obsession with time.

It should be OK to watch at home, but it won't be the same as watching it at the IMAX.
    Last edited by CPUd; 03-21-2015 at 03:20 AM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I saw it twice and liked it. Go ahead and add in spoilers. It will still be tough to figure out.

We just saw it on blueray and thought it was great. The sound issue (mumbling and over dialogue background sound) was annoyingly frustrating at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    I rate a great movie to where I would pay to see it again. Sorry Osan, but I couldn't get out of the theater fast enough.
    No sweat - to each his own. Personally, I can't stand strawberry ice cream. Go figger.