Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The case for and against Jesse Benton's professional campaign involvement

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries

The case for and against Jesse Benton's professional campaign involvement

Jessie Benton has played an important lead role in a number of high profile liberty campaigns to which his performance has been the subject of great debate and discussion here. While Jesse's high profile public position does make him a legitimate candidate for open criticism much of the discussions devolves into non-fruitful banter.

The scope of this thread is to evaluate Jesse's professional performance and the value proposition he has for future campaigns.

Discussion ground rules:
    * The site guidelines apply, please re-read them: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/content.php?1989
    * On-topic discussion is strictly limited to positives and negatives to Jesse Benton's professional services and his performance history. Off-topic comments will be deleted.
    * Any attacks against Jesse's character are not allowed, stick to issues of Jesse's professional performance. Anything that can be legally viewed as slander or a false attack on Jesse's reputation will not be tolerated.
    * Cite sources for all information. If the information is just that "someone told me", that's fine, but state it as such. Discussion on the validity of sources is on-topic.
    * Let people draw their own conclusions, there is no value in trying to force yours on others. You must educate people to that point.

The objective of this discussion is to:
    * Bring important issues to light in a responsible manner. We are a discussion board and people will discuss things of importance.
    * Prevent having to constantly rehash this issue over and over in different threads, if the topic comes up again people can be redirected here. Bookmark this thread if the topic is important to you.

You will do your own reputation service to present your points in a well crafted, thoughtful manner.

This thread will be heavily moderated and violations will lead to strong moderation action.

This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Benton resigned Mitch McConnell's campaign in August 2014. There was/is an FEC investigation running concurrently to the 2014 election cycle involving personnel from the Ron Paul 2012 campaign. Benton was the RP 2012 campaign manager.

I don't think any campaign for President should have any association with people that are caught up in an FEC investigation which arguably lead to a resignation from their previous campaign.

I highly doubt the campaign cares what we think about Jesse Benton.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I highly doubt the campaign cares what we think about Jesse Benton.
    I certainly understand that's a debatable point, to which we don't know the answer. Still, I reference to "We are a discussion board and people will discuss things of importance."

Thank you.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

When your political philosophy is limited government having half the family work for the government over generations is hardly doing what you preach.What is the difference between what the Paul family is doing with Benton and Biden is doing with his son in Ukraine.By their actions so far I would not expect any different if the Paul family was in the same position of power as Biden.

Quote Originally Posted by Demigod View Post
    When your political philosophy is limited government having half the family work for the government over generations is hardly doing what you preach.What is the difference between what the Paul family is doing with Benton and Biden is doing with his son in Ukraine.By their actions so far I would not expect any different if the Paul family was in the same position of power as Biden.
    This is getting close to OT, but suffice to say, I don't see any Biden's pushing for an audit of the Fed or limiting the NSA's power or eliminating the Patriot Act.

But, WRT -and back on topic-Benton being involved in the family business of politics, I don't think there should be an argument against working with family, be it business, politics or down on the ranch. I do see the argument against nepotism in that an unqualified or rather an unprofessional family member remains in the business strictly due to their familial relationships when they are clearly not up to the tasks they are entrusted to.

I fall in the camp of Benton's un professionalism as stated in my first post is reason enough to not have him associated with the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    This is getting close to OT, but suffice to say, I don't see any Biden's pushing for an audit of the Fed or limiting the NSA's power or eliminating the Patriot Act.

But, WRT -and back on topic-Benton being involved in the family business of politics, I don't think there should be an argument against working with family, be it business, politics or down on the ranch. I do see the argument against nepotism in that an unqualified or rather an unprofessional family member remains in the business strictly due to their familial relationships when they are clearly not up to the tasks they are entrusted to.

I fall in the camp of Benton's un professionalism as stated in my first post is reason enough to not have him associated with the campaign.
    But this is clear nepotism only a man that has an interest in looking the other way could say it is not.Also I would like to ask, I remember that at the end of the RP presidential campaign people wrote here that there were a lot of money left in RP`s super packs and campaign accounts so does anyone know anything about where all that money went ?

As for what he is pushing for ,from the videos and articles you post here the only thing that I have seen Rand push for that is important is voting rights for minor felons.He made a speech about drones and did nothing about it while he has not even talked about the federal reserve.He even said that the USA should go to war with ISIS.Maybe I am wrong but all I am seeing here is another political dynasty being formed that sells bull$#@!.
    Last edited by Demigod; 11-15-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Some of Tom Woods' experience:

For months and months, the top two people spun everything I did in the most negative light possible, in order to poison my reputation with people I respect. They don’t know I know this. But I’m happy to say I have friends everywhere, and they are loyal.

Again, I kept my mouth shut. And again, no one on earth can seriously expect me to continue doing so.

Of the various lies Jesse told about me, the least damaging was the claim that I had called him a — well, it’s a word I would never say. The actual story was this: in 2010 I was having drinks with Iowa Ron Paul GOP people, and Jesse was there. I mentioned the name of an old college friend of mine I thought Jesse might know, and Jesse shouted out, with an important Christian Right Ron Paul guy right there, “X [my college friend] is a —-sucker!” Classy. I reminded Jesse of this incident when he complained of my allegedly boorish behavior. At that moment, the story began to spread that I had called Jesse a you-know-what.

This particular lie I made no special effort to refute. I joked with people that if the grassroots heard that I had called Jesse that name, I’d be a hero.

So Benton is gone, but is Bentonism alive and well? Bentonism is the playing down of Ron Paul’s most popular and important ideas, the impatience with and purging of people who champion those ideas, and an obsessive eye to GOP respectability. Is that what the “liberty movement” is? Then count me out.

Finally, please note that I stand to gain nothing by clearing the air like this. Nothing but grief and more burned bridges. But sometimes you have to do what you have to do, regardless of the consequences for yourself. It’s quite possible that this person will make his way back into our circles at some point, and I want to urge people not even to consider donating to anything with his name on it.

Incidentally, if Rand Paul intends to run in 2016, the single most effective way he could convey to the public that he is not really serious, and that people should withhold their donations, would be to hire Jesse Benton.

Source: http://tomwoods.com/blog/my-memories-of-jesse-bento/

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But this is clear nepotism only a man that has an interest in looking the other way could say it is not.Also I would like to ask, I remember that at the end of the RP presidential campaign people wrote here that there were a lot of money left in RP`s super packs and campaign accounts so does anyone know anything about where all that money went ?

As for what he is pushing for ,from the videos and articles you post here the only thing that I have seen Rand push for that is important is voting rights for minor felons.He made a speech about drones and did nothing about it while he has not even talked about the federal reserve.He even said that the USA should go to war with ISIS.Maybe I am wrong but all I am seeing here is another political dynasty being formed that sells bull$#@!.
    Maybe you missed the nuance in my post; IMO, Benton's involvement in Rand 2016 would be nepotism as he has shown he does not have the ability or skills to run a successful campaign to the end.

WRT the Paul family being another Kennedy Dynasty, start another thread please. We're straying OT (but I could be wrong)

Regarding Jesse Benton (and John Tate):

"...these are incompetent and/or sinister people, and I am sure Dr. Paul leaving the convention early was not in their plans, so anything that frustrates their plans I think is a plus for the rest of us."

Source:

I'm totally indifferent towards Benton. I respect his disdain for the lunatic fringe but he really seems like he's a complete (mod edit). Even if he were smart, and he may very well be, given the allegations against him, I don't see how he can be involved moving forward.

I personally can't stand the guy.

I suppose the main reason to have him would be to coordinate all the slimy corrupt things that a successful presidential campaign needs without Rand's involvement so that he can keep plausible deniability when and if they get exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    Even if he were smart, and he may very well be
    I just have a really hard time believing he's smart. If he's better at doing some things than some other people are it's because he isn't impeded by a conscience like them.
    Last edited by erowe1; 11-15-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I personally can't stand the guy.

I suppose the main reason to have him would be to coordinate all the slimy corrupt things that a successful presidential campaign needs without Rand's involvement so that he can keep plausible deniability when and if they get exposed.
    I thought that was our job...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    Maybe you missed the nuance in my post; IMO, Benton's involvement in Rand 2016 would be nepotism as he has shown he does not have the ability or skills to run a successful campaign to the end.

WRT the Paul family being another Kennedy Dynasty, start another thread please. We're straying OT (but I could be wrong)
    I didn't know what OT means so sorry no more posts on political dynasties.

But I would say that you would not need to wait to see that Rand 2016 is nepotic because he sure as hell did not became mcconnell`s campaign manager anyway else than by Rand including him in whatever deal he has with mcconnell.
    Last edited by Demigod; 11-15-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I thought that was our job...
    Is that anyone's job? Do we really need to bribe people for their endorsement using campaign funds? Before I get into specifics about Benton, I'll look for the supporting sources. Anyone else that can post that info before me, please do

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I didn't know what OT means so sorry no more posts on political dynasties.

But I would say that you would not need to wait to see that Rand 2016 is nepotic because he sure as hell did not became mcconnell`s campaign manager anyway else than by Rand including him in whatever deal he has with mcconnell.
    Sorry. OT = off-topic. The last Benton thread derailed badly.

I would tend to agree with you, but I could envision another scenario for your alleged Benton/Rand/McConnell deal. "Alright kid, show me your stuff by running ol' Mitch's re-election. This is a slam dunk so you can't possibly screw this up. If you do, you're out for my 2016 run"

Why start this thread?

No one here has a say in the matter, and given some of the rampant immaturity and lack of understanding of how to actually run a serious campaign, it's a good thing.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Some of Tom Woods' experience:

For months and months, the top two people spun everything I did in the most negative light possible, in order to poison my reputation with people I respect.
    And I can tell you from first hand experience that when Tom started publicly attacking Ron's campaign in 2011, Jesse called me and asked me what was going on. He had the utmost respect for Tom at the time (as did I) and was trying to figure out any way we could get Tom to act like a mature adult. Unfortunately Tom insisted on airing his personal laundry out in public and bashing the campaign like a spoiled bratty child.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    And I can tell you from first hand experience that when Tom started publicly attacking Ron's campaign in 2011, Jesse called me and asked me what was going on. He had the utmost respect for Tom at the time (as did I) and was trying to figure out any way we could get Tom to act like a mature adult. Unfortunately Tom insisted on airing his personal laundry out in public and bashing the campaign like a spoiled bratty child.
    Backup your claim of Tom publicly attacking Ron's campaign in 2011. Back it up, with a link, video, screenshot, or something. It is a 100% false claim as of now, that you have refused to backup.

Why start this thread?

No one here has a say in the matter, and given some of the rampant immaturity and lack of understanding of how to actually run a serious campaign, it's a good thing.
    Finally able to dig your hands deep enough in the government jar so who cares what the people who were the main support from the beginning think, how unprecedented from political parasites.

That, to me, sounds like typical political infighting BS. I know you think it's a good thing to drive a wedge between certain factions of the liberty movement, but I'm telling you, it doesn't need to be like that. It only weakens us.

My problems with Benton aren't personal. They are strategic. Whether or not you think he does a good job doesn't really matter if he's tainted. And he's tainted.

There's a sentiment among many in this movement and many in the establishment that believe that the Pauls, and those around them, are not really interested in righting the ship of this nation and correcting the disaster. There is the belief that there is a good way to make money and power off of the chaos.

I really hope that isn't true, but Benton is the poster child for that belief. He sends all the wrong signals, not only to the base, but also to the potential moneymen. hiring the guy who was caught on tape blasting his boss, who was caught in a bribing scandal, and who has repeatedly shunned the most devout believers in the cause, sends the message that this is not about a serious campaign.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Jesse called me and asked me what was going on.
    /thread

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    /thread
    Not exactly confidence inspiring...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Why start this thread?
    As I explained in the opening post:

The objective of this discussion is to:
    * Bring important issues to light in a responsible manner. We are a discussion board and people will discuss things of importance.
    * Prevent having to constantly rehash this issue over and over in different threads, if the topic comes up again people can be redirected here. Bookmark this thread if the topic is important to you.
    ----

No one here has a say in the matter
    As I wrote above:
    I certainly understand that's a debatable point, to which we don't know the answer. Still, I reference to "We are a discussion board and people will discuss things of importance."
    Thank you.

Another verification of Tom Woods' opinion and experience: "I wouldn't have hired this guy and he wouldn't be a million miles close to anything I was involved in."

Source:

And why would he assume you knew what was going on?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    ...political infighting...

This is worthy of a topic itself and something that we don't particularly give much attention. We should. A great deal of goings on of late are a product of this. We're seeing the phenomenon geo-politically, in domestic politics here at home and from within major industry. There are times when "infighting" is not typical and the phenomenon most often reveals itself at the moment in time when things must get worse before they get better. Perhaps I'm off topic depending upon individual perception of the root issue but I just wanted to mention that. There is a tremendous amount of infighting among neoconservatives who reside in both major political parties. The results of this are coming to fruition (ill thought out/knee jerk policy/strategy that increasingly leaves us red faced) both domestically as well as geopolitically. I'd imagine a trickle down isn't out of the question but I doubt in a way that is relevant to the issues.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-15-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Why start this thread?

No one here might have a say as Bryan said, but some of us are contacting certain individuals with information regarding this topic. I mean the immaturity and lack of understanding in regards to running a serious campaign that I have seen and cared about, was from Ron Paul 2008 and Ron Paul 2012.

Under Jesse Benton's leadership, Ron Paul got fewer votes than Rick Santorum, despite being the race longer than Rick Santorum and raising more money than him.
    Last edited by jjdoyle; 11-15-2014 at 07:16 PM.

I hope you realize that this is typical divide and conquer type politics? My establishment GOP chair does this ALL.THE.TIME.

So what if Tom Woods didn't like Jesse Benton and was talking about him? If Benton wishes to be in politics he needs to learn how to get the hell over it. Does he realize how many people hated Ron Paul and talked bad about him?

waaaah

The mature response would have been to not give it attention, or even more mature would have been to do some self introspection to see if there was any validity in Woods' claims. The even more mature response than that would have been to offer to buy him coffee and have a conversation about how they could reconcile whatever differences they were having.

But I'm sure calling Matt Collins was the most mature response. < /sarc >
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast