Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux nerds- reviving old pc/laptops?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Elementary OS

Hah. That actually looks pretty sweet. However, I went with Puppy Linux.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
    Which Linux distro is the best to bring a PC back from the dead?

I'm tempted to revive an old laptop with Gentoo minimal but it's too freaking time consuming. Not up to building from scratch.

I've tested DSL and Puppy Linux (slacko) in a VM, and found Puppy to be pretty good.

Anyone recommendations?
    My Acer netbook had become unusable with Windows 7 Starter (freezing up, wouldn't load pages). I don't know why. I installed the latest Ubuntu (14.10)and now it works pretty well. Installation was reasonably quick. The earlier 12.04.5 version seemed nice, too, maybe nicer. I tried both. I am a novice but I easily found a few helpful additions on the internet for the 12.04.5 version because I needed some codecs for audio or video, I forget which. I just typed the command suggested into the command line window and it did the additions for me.
    Last edited by anaconda; 11-16-2014 at 12:17 AM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Full res, huh? I played around with Wine years ago and nearly went insane. I had to stay native with XP.

That's a bit idiosyncratic. I like it. Are you a network guy?

my business card says i'm a network engineer.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    my business card says i'm a network engineer.

I figured you were something like that. haha

I figured you were something like that. haha
    I have a machine the makes the xbox one look like a child's toy. it serves live cabletv, with full dvr capabilities. controlled by an IR remote made for software interfacing. so it can act like a tv. also have a plex server to server my own videos to any device, any where there is a internet. Emulation for all consoles up to PS2, Wii. Also the steam library available of the big screen. full internet browsing capabilities with a wireless logitech keyboard/mouse combo set that works well as a remote and to use the backend of the OS to do anything else you want to do as if you were at your computer. music serves out the same, but sound system can be controlled via bluetooth. so an Iphone can play your tunes. blueray reader and writer built-in, rarely used. and i won't go into the NAS system for data storage.

I enjoy my work. Want to learn Zentyal 4. if i can- I will replace every SBS in the state with it.
    Last edited by torchbearer; 11-15-2014 at 10:53 PM.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    You can dual boot, but if you do a lot of sharing files between the 2, it may be more handy to keep one in a VM. I still keep a windows XP VM, mostly for software testing.
    I was going to suggest that, but got lazy. Yeah, if you can run Winders in a VM, by all means do so. Wine should be good for that, yes? I have Virtual Box on this Mac... just never set it up.

Virtualbox is free:
    https://www.virtualbox.org/
    Great minds.

VMWare, it is free to use existing VMs, but you need the paid version to create new ones. But you can create one in Virtualbox and convert/launch it in VMWare Player:
    http://www.vmware.com/
    I was one of the beta testers for WMWare, back in the late 80s. I was well known for breaking "unbreakable" software. Companies actually sought me out. "Lets see if he'll test it... crazy bastard can break anything..." If you could survive one of my test suites without throwing a severity 1 or 2 exception, you were ready for production. No software, save one, ever survived without severity 3 or 4 exceptions, but those can go to production without undue trouble. The one that did was embedded stuff that I cannot speak about... unless I want to be found tits-down in a river. Not yet.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I was going to suggest that, but got lazy. Yeah, if you can run Winders in a VM, by all means do so. Wine should be good for that, yes? I have Virtual Box on this Mac... just never set it up.

Great minds.

I was one of the beta testers for WMWare, back in the late 80s. I was well known for breaking "unbreakable" software. Companies actually sought me out. "Lets see if he'll test it... crazy bastard can break anything..." If you could survive one of my test suites without throwing a severity 1 or 2 exception, you were ready for production. No software, save one, ever survived without severity 3 or 4 exceptions, but those can go to production without undue trouble. The one that did was embedded stuff that I cannot speak about... unless I want to be found tits-down in a river. Not yet.

Playing with OSes in Virtual Machines is fun, but it would be easier for some people to install linux(which would install next to windows and give a grub choice for either).
    Or even WUBI, if its still exist as it once did. where you could install linux from within windows, and switch back and forth.

For people who aren't gamers, they should already be on linux. It does everything except Sage Peachtree.

Which Linux distro is the best to bring a PC back from the dead?

I'm tempted to revive an old laptop with Gentoo minimal but it's too freaking time consuming. Not up to building from scratch.

I've tested DSL and Puppy Linux (slacko) in a VM, and found Puppy to be pretty good.

Anyone recommendations?
    Post the hardware specs

How much RAM?
    CPU type, speed?
    Graphics (integrated or dedicated card)?
    USB ports?
    HDD (optional if you can hook up a USB)?

I've personally used puppy on old hardware and it did fine.

Playing with OSes in Virtual Machines is fun, but it would be easier for some people to install linux(which would install next to windows and give a grub choice for either).
    Or even WUBI, if its still exist as it once did. where you could install linux from within windows, and switch back and forth.

For people who aren't gamers, they should already be on linux. It does everything except Sage Peachtree.

hey man, are you familiar with android and dnsmasq?

i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to networks (i'm a programmer) but i have fairly idiosyncratic setup on my home network. i use dd-wrt firmware and have it configured to block (reroute to local host) a crap load of tlds. for example, address=/.cn/127.0.0.1 blocks all .cn domains. i use the opendns filters for everything else.

anyway, what i was wondering is, do know (or is it even possible) to manually configure dnsmasq on android devices? i use a common hosts file and an iptables script for mobile data, but it's just too bloated and time consuming- using dnsmasq is much easier.

i have found the file, i just don't know to configure and set it up. i don't use gapps, but i did find an app called sharkmasq which apparently lets you configure dnsmasq on your phone. i don't want to pay money for something i don't know even works, and i can’t find anything online.

i use a custom rom, so i have full control over my phone and can do what i want with it- i don't have worry about rooting or anything. i just figured i ask here, i can't find anything online and my question on another site went unanswered.
    Last edited by pessimist; 11-18-2014 at 03:01 PM.

i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to networks (i'm a programmer) but i have fairly idiosyncratic setup on my home network. i use dd-wrt firmware and have it configured to block (reroute to local host) a crap load of tlds. for example, address=/.cn/127.0.0.1 blocks all .cn domains. i use the opendns filters for everything else.

anyway, what i was wondering is, do know (or is it even possible) to manually configure dnsmasq on android devices? i use a common hosts file and an iptables script for mobile data, but it's just too bloated and time consuming- using dnsmasq is much easier.

i have found the file, i just don't know to configure and set it up. i don't use gapps, but i did find an app called sharkmasq which apparently lets you configure dnsmasq on your phone. i don't want to pay money for something i don't know even works, and i can’t find anything online.

i use a custom rom, so i have full control over my phone and can do what i want with it- i don't have worry about rooting or anything. i just figured i ask here, i can't find anything online and my question on another site went unanswered.
    Do you not know where to find the .conf files?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do you not know where to find the .conf files?

yes, but i don't know how to configure it. this is stuff is a bit over my head. setting it up in dd-wrt or tomato is easy.

See the option: bogus-nxdomain

You could use that if you are already telling DNS not to resolve certain tlds

also: private-domain

To tell DNS to look locally for the tld.
    Last edited by CPUd; 11-18-2014 at 11:04 PM.

I'm going to test out Slax- that is exactly what I am looking for.

Anyway, it's my ex gf's old laptop (2007/08) that is running that bloated piece of crap Vista (and likely is riddled with malware/viruses). I have a custom Windows 7 ISO that I could install, but I figured I'd put a lightweight Linux distro instead (Windows is resource heavy).

I have no interest in Windows style Linux distros like Ubuntu or Mint.

Since I'm a customization freak, I'm a big fan of Gentoo...but it's way too time consuming and complicated and not worth the effort for an old laptop, lol.

I'm just looking for something lightweight. I'll likely be using fluxbox with whatever distro I decide. Still testing. Thanks for the advice.
    Fixing your ex's laptop?? I hope ur at least getting a bj for that..

And this isn't your laptop, you sure she wouldn't be more comfortable with Ubuntu?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Fixing your ex's laptop?? I hope ur at least getting a bj for that..

And this isn't your laptop, you sure she wouldn't be more comfortable with Ubuntu?

No, it's an ANCIENT laptop that is now mine. I revived it with Puppy.

Actually Puppy linux looks pretty swick, is it all up and running ok yet? I'm about to do a reinstall soon, was gonna go from Mint back to Ubuntu, but might consider trying puppy linux, that's the only linux that could ever possibly get you laid imo.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

See the option: bogus-nxdomain

You could use that if you are already telling DNS not to resolve certain tlds

also: private-domain

To tell DNS to look locally for the tld.

i have dnsmasq configured on my router. the question i am asking is possible to do this from android?

i want to block tlds from my phone for when i'm using mobile data.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Actually Puppy linux looks pretty swick, is it all up and running ok yet? I'm about to do a reinstall soon, was gonna go from Mint back to Ubuntu, but might consider trying puppy linux, that's the only linux that could ever possibly get you laid imo.

yes, it's running really smooth on this older hardware. it's really lightweight, so you may not want to use as your main OS. it's designed more for older hardware or a netbook. i'm using the slacko version.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i have dnsmasq configured on my router. the question i am asking is possible to do this from android?

i want to block tlds from my phone for when i'm using mobile data.
    Yes. The main difference is that you need to use ifconfig or something to find the interface name for your mobile connection if you only want to apply it to that interface. It is usually ppp0, but possibly could be bridged and have a different name.
    Last edited by CPUd; 11-19-2014 at 12:01 AM.

There used to be one called BeatrIX.
    But it has not been kept up since 2005.

This is my current Desktop. running PCLinusOS and KDE

It comes as a full OS or a minimal one (for customization) and several choices in window managers.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

what's that bibletime icon?

Is the question, how to edit a .conf file in android or how to edit a .conf file in general?

Is the question, how to edit a .conf file in android or how to edit a .conf file in general?
    I was asking if anyone knew how to configure dnsmasq on android. I couldn't figure it out. My experience with dnsmasq was confined to dd-wrt. However, I found an app that let me do what I wanted.

what's that bibletime icon?
    Bibletime
    http://www.bibletime.info/
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

i have all .info domains blocked via dnsmasq

(i'll check it out via archive.org)

oh, it's a christian thing.

"bible"...duh!

I suppose everyone is allowed a "blonde moment" in their lives.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12