Thread: Parents Ordered to Pay Estranged Daughter's College Tuition

Parents Ordered to Pay Estranged Daughter's College Tuition

She's TWENTY ONE YEARS OLD. Wow, parents owe their adult children a college education at the school of their choice? WTF?

A New Jersey woman has successfully sued her estranged parents to pay for her college tuition.

A judge in Camden County, New Jersey, ruled that Caitlyn Ricci's biological parents will have to cough up $16,000 each year so Ricci, 21, can continue classes across the Delaware River at Temple University in Pennsylvania, ABC News station WPVI in Philadelphia reported.

The parents' attorney is appealing the judge's decision, her mother, Maura McGarvey, told ABC News. She said she's shocked her own daughter would sue her.

"Of course, it's not anything you ever imagine," she said between tears. "I feel like I tried very hard to raise my child right."

Caitlyn’s attorney, Andrew Rochester, told ABC News that legal proceedings began toward the end of August 2013 "after two months of attempting to negotiate with the parents and their attorneys."

The parents had already filed a motion to emancipate their daughter.

Ricci's parents' marriage only lasted two-and-a-half years. Caitlyn lived with her mother but also saw her father, the couple said.

"She comes from two loving families and she was given what she wanted when she was growing up," her father, Michael Ricci, told WPVI.

McGarvey described her daughter as a rebellious teenager who left home and moved in with her grandparents in February because she didn't want to follow her mother's rules, putting stress on the family's relationship. She said the only time she has seen her daughter since she started at Temple University was in a courtroom.

"She packed her stuff and moved in with my ex-in-laws," McGarvey said.

Rochester told ABC News Caitlyn was unavailable for comment. He told WPVI her parents were to blame for the separation.

"Caitlyn did not voluntarily leave the home. She was thrown out by her mother," Rochester told WPVI.

"Caitlyn really is a good girl. She is the nicest, sweetest girl," he added. "All she wants is to go to college."

A judge said divorced parents may be required to contribute to their children's education, according to WPVI.

Caitlyn's grandparents are paying her legal fees, according to WPVI.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-ord...ry?id=26889667

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A judge said divorced parents may be required to contribute to their children's education, according to WPVI

Don't ever get divorced in NJ.
    TRUST ME.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

What a pile of hooey. If a kid is planning to go to college, the time to start preparing for that is middle school. Babysitting, yard work, summer lifeguarding, McDonalds. Do not buy a car or have an expensive cell phone. Don't date. Don't party. Use free music. Keep your room clean. Save every penny.

Then I might think college is enough of a priority for you that I would consider paying part of the cost at a local school. Get a two-year degree in a medical field, then you can go to any school you want on your own dime.

You are not going to lay around my house for 20 years and expect me to pony up five times the value of my house because you get a bee in your bonnet about suddenly needing an education.

And it sounds like the grandparents are the ones who need an education. Did they pay for their own kids' education? Maybe they should save the legal fees and pay for the granddaughter if they think she should go to college.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

It's crazy how entitled people my age are.

I worked my ass off in college, paid for my own car, got a part time job, moved into my own apartment, and paid off my entire college tuition...

By myself.

And that hardwork landed me a job in my field.

$#@! these entitled little brats thinking that their parents owe them something. As rough as my parents can be sometimes, I love them and I am glad they helped raised me to be an independent man who can take care of himself and appreciates having worthless FRNs to support myself with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    She's TWENTY ONE YEARS OLD. Wow, parents owe their adult children a college education at the school of their choice? WTF?
    Simple solution: don't pay. Come registration time, when the little brat doesn't have the cash, there goes her career as a student.

Personally, I'd not blame the parents if they put out a contract on this self-absorbed little bitch. As a jury member, I'd never convict.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post

Don't ever get divorced in goto NJ.
    TRUST ME.

fixed that one
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Why do you have to "emancipate" a 21 year old?

And ^there's the problem. Grandparents spoiling grandkids. I wonder if she'll visit them when they're dying in a nursing home? Their kids sure won't.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I am not really sure what the outcome will be. My son is receiving letters from many colleges some offering scholarships. He can go to UCONN for free on the presidential scholarship. Room and board included all he has to pay is for books. I know some other colleges are trying to get him. He wants to go to MIT and has applied there and is awaiting their decision. On math and reading only his SAT was 1530. I think I heard he is like in the top 99.8% or something like that. I know some colleges have said he is one of the brightest in the country. I don't plan on paying for his college.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The battle over who should pay for a 21-year-old girl's education continued in Camden County court Monday.

The court case of Ricci vs. Ricci has gained national attention and for the first time in court we heard from 21-year old Caitlyn who has sued her parents to force them to pay for her out of state tuition at Temple University.

Her parents, Michael Ricci and Maura McGarvey, are fighting a judge's order demanding they pay about $16,000 a year.

Judge Shusted allowed Action News to record video, but no audio of the proceedings where Ricci said she does love her parents, but feels they don't understand how important her education is to her.

"It is nice to see that she is alive and doing well, but it is hurtful because she wouldn't look at us. When I got emotional in the courtroom and when Michael got emotional in the courtoom, she doesn't have any emotion," McGarvey said.

The judge denied the parents request to reconsider his prior order for them to pay.

But this battle isn't over yet.

Caitlyn has filed a motion to hold them in contempt of court, after they refused to pay for Temple.

"That's fine. They can hold me in contempt of court. They can do whatever they want. I'm not going to pay. I'm not going to give them any money until my daughter has a relationship with me and we start to heal our family," Michael Ricci said.

Caitlyn has been estranged from her divorced parents for almost 2 years.

Michael Ricci and Maura McGarvey say it's because she refused to follow the rules and voluntarily moved out.

They rejected a settlement agreement and say they plan to appeal that decision. Tuition was due on November 12th. Caitlyn is asking for a fine of $100 a day until her parents pay the tuition she says she is owed.

"A lot of people call her a spoiled brat because she wants her parents to pay 100 percent of her college and in fact, she is not asking for that, never has been," Caitlyn's attorney Andrew Rochester said.

Ricci and McGarvey are also meeting with state lawmakers Tuesday in attempt to change the laws that treat divorced parents differently than those that stay together.
    http://abc7chicago.com/education/par...refuse/428899/

I would go to prison before giving a single cent to a child who did this. (just in case my kids are reading this . . .)
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I would go to prison before giving a single cent to a child who did this. (just in case my kids are reading this . . .)
    That's where we are all gonna end up anyway.

The meek are tyrants when they bring government agents to bear.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Jersey’s jaded justice

Score this one as a victory for moms and dads. In New Jersey, that’s saying something.

This week, 21-year-old Caitlyn Ricci was back in court, trying to get a judge to force her parents to pay for her tuition at Temple University as he’d ordered — or hold her mom and dad in contempt if they didn’t.

Though Miss Ricci is legally an adult, under New Jersey’s ridiculous system her parents are required by law to pay for college, even though she is not living at home and refuses to abide by their rules.

It gets worse: In New Jersey, this stupid standard applies only to parents who are divorced.

Caitlyn Ricci has taken full advantage of that. She now lives with her paternal grandparents, who are likewise estranged from their son. And this being the Wonderful World of Oz . . . er, Jersey . . . the judge had in fact already ordered Michael Ricci and Maura McGarvey to cough up $16,000 they say they can’t afford so their daughter can attend out-of-state Temple University.

The hitch came when Michael Ricci made clear he wasn’t paying a nickel until his daughter showed some respect for her parents’ wishes.

The good news is that Judge Donald Stein, who wrote the original order, has now refused to hold the parents in contempt for defying it. Instead, the case will go to an appeals court, and until that’s resolved, mom and dad won’t have to pay.

In the meantime, the New Jersey legislature is working on a law that would restore some parental rights — and common sense — to cases like this one.

Let’s hope so. For whatever the rights and wrongs here, this is the kind of case that shouldn’t be before a court in the first place.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/27/jerseys-jaded-justice/

Isn't it interesting how the state wants parents to be responsible over an optional activity like college, but refuses to hold them resonsible when truly minor children are insubordinate in school or when they commit crimes?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post

Why do you have to "emancipate" a 21 year old?

And ^there's the problem. Grandparents spoiling grandkids. I wonder if she'll visit them when they're dying in a nursing home? Their kids sure won't.
    The reason grandparents and grandchildren get along so well is they share a common enemy.

These parents should sue the grandparents for being $#@! disturbers.

It's bad enough I loathe nosy neighbors but I most certainly loathe nosy grandparents more.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    These parents should sue the grandparents for being $#@! disturbers.

It's bad enough I loathe nosy neighbors but I most certainly loathe nosy grandparents more.
    "Whoever stirs the $#@! pot has to lick the spoon" - My Mom

"Whoever stirs the $#@! pot has to lick the spoon" - My Mom

That's a great quote! I am going to have to remember that one.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    That's a great quote! I am going to have to remember that one.
    She's got lots of them...don't ever say "I wish..." around her.

"Wish in one hand, $#@! in the other and see which one fills up faster." - My Mom

She's got lots of them...don't ever say "I wish..." around her.

"Wish in one hand, $#@! in the other and see which one fills up faster." - My Mom
    ROFL! *I am writing these down* You mother had very profound words of wisdom.

"You must spread some Reputation before giving it to Suzanimal again."