Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Canning

One thing I don't like about commercial canned corned beef (and I LOVE corned beef) is the cans you buy in a grocery store make me think of a gooey salt lick. Sometimes I kinda like a little meat with my salt, you know?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    After a month or so wouldn't the potatoes go soggy? Mind you in corned beef hash it may not matter that much if the potatoes go soggy....

Then again canned corned beef hash seems to do plenty fine in a commercial can for half of forever, and since commercial canning tends to go 'soggier' than home canning maybe I'm completely wrong on that.
    Yeah, they might get soggy but I wonder how they would do partially cooked? Also when you get it out of the can you put it in a frying pan or a griddle to heat it up. DH loves it crunchy.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

One thing I don't like about commercial canned corned beef (and I LOVE corned beef) is the cans you buy in a grocery store make me think of a gooey salt lick. Sometimes I kinda like a little meat with my salt, you know?
    Is that like some people like a little coffee with their cream and sugar?
    Awesome topic though. I haven't canned any food items for my own personal use or preparation, but when I was little, one summer my mom prepared a ton of salsa from some homegrown tomatoes and she canned it all up. We had lots of the stuff that summer, and it was pretty awesome.

They also have other ingredients that may make if gooey. I think corned beef hash in a can looks like dog food--it even smells like dog food.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Yeah, they might get soggy but I wonder how they would do partially cooked? Also when you get it out of the can you put it in a frying pan or a griddle to heat it up. DH loves it crunchy.
    I admit that I am a fan of corned beef hash also, but I really wish the commercial canners didn't use so much dadburned SALT.

After a month or so wouldn't the potatoes go soggy? Mind you in corned beef hash it may not matter that much if the potatoes go soggy....

Then again canned corned beef hash seems to do plenty fine in a commercial can for half of forever, and since commercial canning tends to go 'soggier' than home canning maybe I'm completely wrong on that.
    Perhaps if enough fat congealed then it might preserve the potatoes quite well? Like in the store bought can? There must be advice on this in the canning literature.

I love to can. I still haven't braved the pressure cooker though, and I've had it for over a year.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    I love to can. I still haven't braved the pressure cooker though, and I've had it for over a year.
    Start small!

I purchased a 6 quart pressure cooker, specifically because it works with my induction cooker. It is incredibly easy to use and very safe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have an enormous one that I don't use because I just don't trust it.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

The Mrs sometimes cans some of the tiny potatoes in the green beans and they do well .

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Start small!

I purchased a 6 quart pressure cooker, specifically because it works with my induction cooker. It is incredibly easy to use and very safe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have an enormous one that I don't use because I just don't trust it.
    I can't even remember how big mine is, it's been so long. I had to go look! http://www.amazon.com/All-American-2.../dp/B00004S893

I'll do that! Every time I make a big pot of chili I think I should can a few jars, but I always end up putting it in the freezer. One of these days...
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    I can't even remember how big mine is, it's been so long. I had to go look! http://www.amazon.com/All-American-2.../dp/B00004S893

I'll do that! Every time I make a big pot of chili I think I should can a few jars, but I always end up putting it in the freezer. One of these days...
    Yeah. I have a big freezer--that's generally the way I go. After trying to cook with a kid hanging on me for a couple hours, I'm just not game for canning. She's "helping" out with a lot of things now, but it's still at the point where it takes longer to accomplish most anything with her help. It'll probably pay off some day.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

The Mrs takes fresh ground Italian seasoned sausage and rolls it into meat balls and cans it. Multi purpose . Can use it for spaghetti or just warm it up with some hash browns for breakfast .

I'm thinking about getting an electric pressure cooker to do canning without using a burner on the stove. (except for boiling the seals.)

I'm thinking about getting an electric pressure cooker to do canning without using a burner on the stove. (except for boiling the seals.)
    Be aware that the electric pressure cookers are around 11 psi's I think. Traditional American stove top versions are 15 psi. Which should be no big deal since you can "set it and forget it." I did some research recently on these things and the brand that seems to have the most impressive Amazon reviews is the the InstantPot. They are also one of the few electric pressure cookers that have a stainless steal cooking pan, rather than non-stick, depending on your preferences. The newer model has a dual pressure setting.:

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP.../dp/B00FLYWNYQ

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Be aware that the electric pressure cookers are around 11 psi's I think. Traditional American stove top versions are 15 psi. Which should be no big deal since you can "set it and forget it." I did some research recently on these things and the brand that seems to have the most impressive Amazon reviews is the the InstantPot. They are also one of the few electric pressure cookers that have a stainless steal cooking pan, rather than non-stick, depending on your preferences. The newer model has a dual pressure setting.:

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP.../dp/B00FLYWNYQ
    Aye. 11psi is what you want for pressure canning in any case. I will look at the InstantPot....

Looked it up, although they say it can be used for canning that's not really what it was made for. Pressures are not able to be fine tuned, they are only "high" or "low" and the timer is not properly set up to trigger on canning pressures the way a pressure cooker intended for canning does. Also, the internal size of the pressure chamber is not really optimized for canning jars. The InstantPot would seem to be the best for cooking food, not necessarily for canning.

Aye. 11psi is what you want for pressure canning in any case. I will look at the InstantPot....

Looked it up, although they say it can be used for canning that's not really what it was made for. Pressures are not able to be fine tuned, they are only "high" or "low" and the timer is not properly set up to trigger on canning pressures the way a pressure cooker intended for canning does. Also, the internal size of the pressure chamber is not really optimized for canning jars. The InstantPot would seem to be the best for cooking food, not necessarily for canning.
    I thought maybe the size might not cut it. Although, what to you mean by "trigger on canning pressures?'

Also, the biggest electric pressure cooker I have seen is 10 qt. :

A commenter under this video:

Says her instructions say the cooker "may not be used for canning meat." Do you know why this would be?

Saw this, too..

http://www.cheesemaking.com/Stainles...erSeconds.html
    Last edited by anaconda; 11-16-2014 at 12:15 AM.

I thought maybe the size might not cut it. Although, what to you mean by "trigger on canning pressures?'
    Electronic pressure cookers designed for canning have a cook-timer that starts based on a specific pressure. The timer starts when the pressure hits 11psi; not when the system is engaged or when a certain temperature is reached. Since electric pressure cookers shut themselves down when the end of the timer is reached, it is important that the beginning of the timer start at the right marker, otherwise you do not have quite the precision necessary for pressure canning.

Interesting that Costco online is carrying the All American brand. A few weeks ago I believe they even had three sizes available. Now just this one:

http://www.costco.com/All-American-1...100128534.html

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Electronic pressure cookers designed for canning have a cook-timer that starts based on a specific pressure. The timer starts when the pressure hits 11psi; not when the system is engaged or when a certain temperature is reached. Since electric pressure cookers shut themselves down when the end of the timer is reached, it is important that the beginning of the timer start at the right marker, otherwise you do not have quite the precision necessary for pressure canning.
    I was under the impression that many of the electric pressure cookers did not start their countdown timers until the pressure was reached. For example, see 14:36 to 15:00 in the above Home Shopping Network video for the Elite brand (comment #46)

or 7:00 to 8:32 in this InstantPot video:

Last edited by anaconda; 11-16-2014 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Pressure canning is the way to can meat.

How to Can Meat Step-by-Step
    http://www.preparednesspro.com/step-...p-meat-canning

(Canner newbie alert) So I guess this cooks the meat and preserves it at the same time? The video doesn't say how long it was cooked for. So my question is, What if you simply want to preserve some already cooked food? Do I need a pressure cooker or do I just need a hot water bath? Like, what if I made a ton of beef stew and wanted to preserve it in jars? And I still don't see any difference between a pressure cooker and a pressure canner, except maybe a dial pressure gauge feature, which doesn't seem like it would be terribly essential, unless you cooked at high altitude.

Chili!

(Canner newbie alert) So I guess this cooks the meat and preserves it at the same time? The video doesn't say how long it was cooked for. So my question is, What if you simply want to preserve some already cooked food? Do I need a pressure cooker or do I just need a hot water bath? Like, what if I made a ton of beef stew and wanted to preserve it in jars? And I still don't see any difference between a pressure cooker and a pressure canner, except maybe a dial pressure gauge feature, which doesn't seem like it would be terribly essential, unless you cooked at high altitude.
    You would need a pressure cooker for low-acid foods. Tomatoes with lemon in it you can can in a water bath.

Turns out the biggest problem with the electronic ones is their size. way too small for serious canning. :-/ A shame because the automatic pressure regulation would make life so much easier.

Never thought to can chicken. I have a 7 qt. cooker....

thanks for bringing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    Never thought to can chicken. I have a 7 qt. cooker....

thanks for bringing it up.
    Next time we do it we'll probably add broth, or something to make it end up a little less dry. it's good and has good flavor but it ended up kinda dry. So I'm thinking leave a little room and add chicken broth up to the headspace.

I'm thinking about taking some of that chicken, mushing it with a big fork to open up the grain, soaking it in a thick chicken gravy, adding mixed veggies and a few spices and re-canning it as a "rice kit" where you just open it up and pour it out on rice. In that case, the way it dried up will probably make the "rice kit" even better, as it will absorb the gravy flavor...

And since you can re-use the jars you literally waste nothing but like 5 seals.

On Friday we are making canned "rice kits" from about 10lbs of ground beef. Thick beef gravy and mixed veggies. I'm thinking semi-cook the beef first with garlic stirred into it, jar it with the thick gravy and veggies while still very rare (but not raw), then pressure can at 11psi for ~60 minutes.

Emergency food, boil up 2 cups of rice, dump one pint of rice kit, and you have a totally satisfying and nutritious meal for 2.

ETA - I wonder, I bet you could even put butter into the gravy and it'll still can right. Butter will make the rice even happier.

ETAA nope. not unless you cook it all the way into the gravy, and then still not the best idea.
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 12-17-2014 at 08:10 PM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    (Sorry it took me so long to answer) If you do the meat raw it will cook it and also make it's own juice. If you use cook meat you usually need to add a broth to it. Just make sure you use a pressure canner with meats--10 pounds of pressure for beef (in pint jars) takes about 75 minutes, depending on your altitude. This is for steak cubed.

Ground beef I usually cook it first. Making chili is a good idea.

And since you can re-use the jars you literally waste nothing but like 5 seals.

These lids are my favorite now.

http://www.amazon.com/Tattler-Reusab...nning+jar+lids

Next time we do it we'll probably add broth, or something to make it end up a little less dry. it's good and has good flavor but it ended up kinda dry. So I'm thinking leave a little room and add chicken broth up to the headspace.

I'm thinking about taking some of that chicken, mushing it with a big fork to open up the grain, soaking it in a thick chicken gravy, adding mixed veggies and a few spices and re-canning it as a "rice kit" where you just open it up and pour it out on rice. In that case, the way it dried up will probably make the "rice kit" even better, as it will absorb the gravy flavor...
    I use turkey broth in it .

Beef Rice Kits!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast