Thread: POLITICO: Rand Paul's Greatest Weakness

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    I read it as the establishment's attempt at sowing subtle seeds of doubt into the minds of "Republican Team" voters.

I read that as Rand is bulletproof, which scares democrats and republicans too.

Rand Paul's greatest weakness is not connection to his father's positions, but rather Americas lack of knowledge of basic history, politics, economics, and rights. After reading about the former Rand Paul (pre-politics) and knowing that he (more than any one of us) grew up under the direct tutelage of Ron Paul, I have no doubt in my mind that everything that Rand is doing that seems like turning on our positions and beliefs is just his attempt to become president and his understanding after seeing what happened to his father that, while we need a Ron Paul as president, a Ron Paul can't win right now. Instead, what we seem to need is a Rand Paul that can actually get across the finish line with a win. Until I see a Rand Paul president actually signing policies that sacrifice everything we all believe in and sending in troops to fight crazy wars, I will not believe that Rand Paul is not still his father's son.
    I am more and more convinced that man is a dangerous creature and that power, whether vested in many or a few, is ever grasping, and like the grave, cries, 'Give, give.'

Abigail Adams

by Jan 2016 the ISIS war will be unpopular, and Rand might have a foreign policy advantage, at least in Iowa and NH. SC worries me. it could end there, if Rand doesn't finish decently there

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    I read that as Rand is bulletproof, which scares democrats and republicans too.
    He does seem to have that teflon quality to him. Ronald Reagan had that same intangible quality.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

This article does bring up some valid points.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenadine View Post
    Yes, especially that Randal's opponents are going to actively sow disharmony and attempt to divide his father's supporters in an attempt to defeat him.

Do tell. By all means list the most valid ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Yes, especially that Randal's opponents are going to actively sow disharmony and attempt to divide his father's supporters in an attempt to defeat him.
    Yep. They'll continue to try and convince Ron supporters that Rand has become a 'neocon' and that he's now an establishment hack.On the other side, they'll try and convince mainstream GOPers that he's an isolationist and a fringe libertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Do tell. By all means list the most valid ones.
    This, for instance:"As just one example, Beynon says he sees a “high-wire act,” where Paul is constantly at risk of losing his father’s isolationist base, still-powerful holdovers from Ron Paul’s 2012 run, as the son tries to assuage establishment and mainstream Republican concerns about his own foreign policy views."

This, for instance:"As just one example, Beynon says he sees a “high-wire act,” where Paul is constantly at risk of losing his father’s isolationist base, still-powerful holdovers from Ron Paul’s 2012 run, as the son tries to assuage establishment and mainstream Republican concerns about his own foreign policy views."
    Not really. The high-wire act is a media construct meant to try to convince people that Randal is unstable. it ties into my previous point about sowing disharmony.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Not really. The high-wire act is a media construct meant to try to convince people that Randal is unstable. it ties into my previous point about sowing disharmony.
    I agree with you. I wasn't saying the point is true, but that it is something that his opponents and the media will try to exploit. Unfortunately, I think it might be effective with some of Ron's more hardcore libertarian supporters.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I suppose that could be called a 'valid point'. Except that the article is supposed to be about Paul's weaknesses. As long as he stays on the 'high-wire', he's getting support from both the Establishment and the (mislabeled) non-interventionalists. Who else can make the same claim? How is that a weakness? Because one misstep (which hasn't happened yet and might not happen) will leave him in the same boat as everyone else--with the support of one but not the other?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I suppose that could be called a 'valid point'. Except that the article is supposed to be about Paul's weaknesses. As long as he stays on the 'high-wire', he's getting support from both the Establishment and the (mislabeled) non-interventionalists. Who else can make the same claim? How is that a weakness? Because one misstep (which hasn't happened yet and might not happen) will leave him in the same boat as everyone else--with the support of one but not the other?
    I suppose you're right.

Except Randal isn't trying to balance on a highwire at all. He is willingly giving up the extremists on both sides (that very people that make a highwire dangerous) and focusing on building a solid wide moderate base via pragmatism. what he is doing is almost the exact opposite of a highwire.

“There was one bad ad,” Conway recalled in the interview, more than two years after his loss to Paul. “Other than the bad ad, I ran a good campaign.”
    LOL.

He ran a horribly $#@!ty campaign, all about Rand, all the time. It was really comical.