Thread: Car Key programming.

Car Key programming.

OK, so I'm down to one key on my Ford Explorer. I go to get a copy made. They want 80+ dollars?!?

What?!?

So if you have two copies currently, I'd recommend you get on ebay or Alibaba and get a third. Have it cut for less than $2 and program it via the car manual.

Now if only have one, you probably can't do that.

So in my case, I bought a programmer from Alibaba for ~$85. I already did two keys with it and it works great, so it has paid for itself.

Just a heads up.

My brother has a Volvo and said it cost around $150 to get a copy.
    Last edited by Danke; 11-22-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    More joys of computer cars

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    More joys of computer cars
    But how else can anyone champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law?

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Any key that can't get wet is no good to me. I would forgo buying the car if I can't dunk the key at least 2 meters deep in water.

Are there any new cars I can even buy anymore?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Any key that can't get wet is no good to me. I would forgo buying the car if I can't dunk the key at least 2 meters deep in water.

These keys can get wet. Chip is sealed.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

What the $#@! is a meter?

Stop talking that Jacobin nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    These keys can get wet. Chip is sealed.
    The very first thing I do once this VW's warranty runs out is re-flash the ECM and disable that proximity chip $#@!.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

a meter is not "Jacobin nonsense"
    or did you not think I would catch that turn of phrase?

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

My own fond fob recollections: (always check the internet for the particular make car, year and model in question)

The oldest (+20year old) GM "electric" keys I remember had two contacts with one of several possible resistance values inside (for the ECU to detect). Popular problem/fix: An exact value resistor could be spliced right into the wiring to work around a defective keylock contact!

"Newer" (<20 year old) Toyota cars used (blank) keys with embedded sealed fobs (and remote controls), each having a unique, hard-coded "serial number". Like most passive transponders, a high frequency field energizes a short return burst of a digital code from the keyfob. Only the car's ECU is actually programmed to accept that particular serial number as valid. A maximum of only a few numbers can be programmed before the ECU has to be flashed/re-programmed and wiped clean to start over with all new keys and remotes, or maybe a brand new blank factory ECU would be necessary...

You could even do the keyfob and/or remote control enabling process yourself with the tricky/bizarre "brake pedal door dance" technique on some 15+ year old Toyotas, but the newer cars (2004 an up) require the specific ECU programmer tool that's usually only available at the dealer. GOTCHA! Or, a careful, reasonably priced eBay purchase described in the OP post #1 << Nice purchase Danke!

WORKAROUND: The "brain end" of a decapitated good key could remain (attached near the keylock) thus enabling the ECU. Any number of "dumb" keys could then be cut (before decapitation!) and to unlock the steering column and start the car.

It's a theft security "feature" - Investigate and Be careful << AF- (Flashing might lead to a useless VW or a huge cash outlay at the dealer!)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    Au contraire, mon frčre...

When the Metric Imposition Was Defeated

Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/...-was-defeated/

Under Republican Gerald Ford, the US government tried to impose by force the metric system on all of American life. Scientists had earlier adopted it for themselves, and that was fine, but the French Revolutionary construct was alleged to be better than the ancient and humane foot, yard, pound, etc., even for commerce. (The creepy Jacobins also wanted to get rid of traditional month names and start over again with Year 1, and make the clock decimal.)

For me, the high water mark of the US campaign was seeing signs on the highway indicating the distance in kilometers to the next city, and then in tiny numbers underneath, the distance in miles. But folks, it didn’t work. People refused to go along, to the continuing upset of the Progs.

BTW, the French government had to return to old month names and year numbering, and never got away with decimal time, but tragically, they did succeed in abolishing the old weights and measures. And, of course, in committing mass murder of domestic dissidents and foreigners under the monster Bonaparte. Constructivism seems all of a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    or did you not think I would catch that turn of phrase?

Love the song. Hadn't seen this video. Much better than the "official" on. This reminds me of Korn - Spike in My Veins

Last edited by jmdrake; 11-22-2014 at 12:54 AM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I bet the commie use Celsius too!
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Do you have a link to the programmer you are using ?
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    Do you have a link to the programmer you are using ?
    Yes
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

That's great, don't accidently lose that link then while sharing it with others...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    That's great, don't accidently lose that link then while sharing it with others...
    No Problem
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    WORKAROUND: The "brain end" of a decapitated good key could remain (attached near the keylock) thus enabling the ECU. Any number of "dumb" keys could then be cut (before decapitation!) and to unlock the steering column and start the car.
    I actually did that for a while: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eft&highlight=

But I love gadgets, and when my brother told me his expensive story, I decided to buy a programmer.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

What year is the Ford? I work at a Ford dealer and never heard of a programmer for the key itself. We program the car to the key with a laptop and Ford's IDS software.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    What year is the Ford? I work at a Ford dealer and never heard of a programmer for the key itself. We program the car to the key with a laptop and Ford's IDS software.
    Yes, they call it an auto key programmer immobilizer. So yes, you are not programming the key itself. Same with FOB remote "programming" that is also a function of the device I linked to.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video