Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do the libertarians on here think about Animal Rights?

What do the libertarians on here think about Animal Rights?

Is there room for animal protection laws? Or are they just deemed personal property?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Personal property. I could go through it, but some have done so already, and are more entertaining.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Yeah, I'd say personal property to. But the real question is "would you feel comfortable using lethal force over this"? If the answer is "no", you clearly shouldn't support a law.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Yeah, I'd say personal property to. But the real question is "would you feel comfortable using lethal force over this"? If the answer is "no", you clearly shouldn't support a law.
    Should it be legal for a dog to be chained to a tree with little leash to move, in a 100 degree heat, with no food or water?

EDIT: reworded to english. I need to get off the internet
    Last edited by pessimist; 11-12-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
    Should it be legal for a dog to be chained to a tree with little leash to move, in a 100 degree heat, with no food or water?

No, that is animal cruelty.

If a dog is chained to a tree with little leash to move, in a 100 degree heat, with no food nor water, that should be legal?
    I think it already is illegal.

I wasn't going to get into this thread because 9 times out of 10 they're loaded arguments with a prescribed reason for starting them but I just had to put down the best working dog I've ever owned a month ago. I could dig a hole and plant a 4x4 end up and by gosh, he'd stand on the top of it until he was sent. Dogs really only want to do one thing in life and that is to please their owner. But we do have people who are blind to that and do exactly what you've mentioned here about keeping them out on a chain with no food or water in 100 degree weather days on end and living in their own feces. The dog deserves better. All he want is a job to do. There is no pack structure in what you've described. And I could go on and on about it but it's the one conversation that plucks me and kind of gets me steamed up when I get into it with the wrong people.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-12-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctiger2 View Post
    No, that is animal cruelty.

So you believe in an animal protection law?

I'd say its awful but it should be legal, yes.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd say its awful but it should be legal, yes.
    If it were your neighbor doing this would you tell them that what they are doing is awful?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    If it were your neighbor doing this would you tell them that what they are doing is awful?
    Absolutely. I wouldn't threaten to shoot them, though.

Well, nobody said anything about shooting them. Good for you for at least having some fortitude, though.

Sorry for putting you on the spot like that. I try to generally avoid direct/personal questions like that around here.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-12-2014 at 10:17 PM.

My cat was once on my buddy's land. The cat would get on his truck when it was warm, cause it gets cold around here, and he would launch it into the snow. I told him, hey man, you should take that cat to the shelter. When I asked for it, with the intentions of bringing it to the shelter, he said sure - take it home.

Apparently shelters dont take animals anymore. So I got stuck with the cat, which I've had for the last 12+ years.

So ask the neighbor if you can have the dog... It may better make your point, but be prepared to be punished for your good deed.

Gulag Chief:

Absolutely

What if they said "eff you I'll do what I want". Could you in good conscience sit and watch a dog suffer and die like that?

What if they said "eff you I'll do what I want". Could you in good conscience sit and watch a dog suffer and die like that?

You dont have to watch it.

Gulag Chief:

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    You dont have to watch it.
    But you know it's happening, and you likely see it when you walk in your backyard or whatever. Could you in good conscience let your next door neighbor do that to his dog?

Wouldn't you feel the need to intervene?

I don't think that anyone should interfere in anyone else's business. Unless they are so passionate that they are willing to intercede themselves. No need for government involvement.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But you know it's happening, and you likely see it when you walk in your backyard or whatever. Could you in good conscience let your next door neighbor do that to his dog?

Yes, I would feed and water the poor creature until it mysteriously broke free from it's shackles.

NO. Thank goodness we live in a humane society where we can simply dial 911 and an agent of the state will arrive and put the poor beast out of it's misery.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I don't think that anyone should interfere in anyone else's business. Unless they are so passionate that they are willing to intercede themselves. No need for government involvement.
    I've done it twice. Both times I've ended up with the dogs. No government involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Yes, I would feed and water the poor creature until it mysteriously broke free from it's shackles.

Well, then you're a good person. I think a lot of people would do the same (I would), but many people wouldn't.

I've done it twice. Both times I've ended up with the dogs. No government involvement.

Are you advocating violating a person's individual rights and trespassing on private property?

Yes, I would feed and water the poor creature until it mysteriously broke free from it's shackles....
    ....and got hit by a semi. Heh.

I'm just fuggin with you, suzanimal. I just kind of pictured it in my head. Suzanimal turns the lil feller loose and sings YAAAAAY yer free...dog bolts....screeeeeech...X X

Ah well. Guess you had to be there...

As in my last post, if you're not willing to take on the responsibility of the animal, there's not much more you can do. I dont condone it, and I cant say that it doesnt bother me, but there's pain all over this planet. There's children that are abused in unimaginable ways. There are animals who suffer greatly in the wild. At some point you have to deal with it and simply pick your battles.

I'm cool with all my neighbors and have no problems talking with them. 2 Neighbors have concrete kennels (one's a 4x4 pad, and the other is much larger 12X16 I'd guess - used to be a slab for shed) and they keep their so called pets there. In my talking with them, one animal pi$$es all over the house, and the other tears the sh!t out of the furniture. Concrete and elements sounds better than a .45 slug to the skull. I'm not willing to take the dogs, so...there it is.

Life is a struggle for most. Its fortunate that some have time to feel the pain and guilt of having a dog tied to a tree.

Bring over a longer chain, if you must. Say, hey - this is really none of my business - its none of the cops business, or anyone else's but yours of course. I think your dog might benefit from having a little more slack in their chain. Not to make an awkward situation, but I want to give you this chain for your dog, if you'll take it....
    Last edited by brushfire; 11-12-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Gulag Chief:

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Animals don't have rights. They have a few privileges. Any pet owner will admit this if they are honest.

Are you advocating violating a person's individual rights and trespassing on private property?
    Nope. I knocked. They answered. I asked for the dog on both occasions. On both occasions, I left with the dog. One of them held out for a carton of Marlboro 100's, though.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-12-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    As in my last post, if you're not willing to take on the responsibility of the animal, there's not much more you can do. I dont condone it, and I cant say that it doesnt bother me, but there's pain all over this planet. There's children that are abused in unimaginable ways. There are animals who suffer greatly in the wild. At some point you have to deal with it and simply pick your battles.

I'm cool with all my neighbors and have no problems talking with them. 2 Neighbors have concrete kennels (one's a 4x4 pad, and the other is much larger 12X16 I'd guess - used to be a slab for shed) and they keep their so called pets there. In my talking with them, one animal pi$$es all over the house, and the other tears the sh!t out of the furniture. Concrete and elements sounds better than a .45 slug to the skull. I'm not willing to take the dogs, so...there it is.

Life is a struggle for most. Its fortunate that some have time to feel the pain and guilt of having a dog tied to a tree.

Bring over a longer chain, if you must. Say, hey - this is really none of my business - its none of the cops business, or anyone else's but yours of course. I think your dog might benefit from having a little more slack in their chain. Not to make an awkward situation, but I want to give you this chain for your dog, if you'll take it....
    That's how neighbors and relationships are started. Of course some people are just $#@!'s. Other's are at their wit's end. I'll not suffer an animal to be abused. I just won't. No government needed on my part.

....and got hit by a semi. Heh.

I'm just fuggin with you, suzanimal. I just kind of pictured it in my head. Suzanimal turns the lil feller loose and sings YAAAAAY yer free...dog bolts....screeeeeech...X X

Ah well. Guess you had to be there...
    I wish I could laugh at your joke but I have set a few animals free and found out later it didn't really work out for them. I set some mail order "seahorses" (I think they're really some sort of shrimp) free in our creek once and my brother called me a "dumb ass". I just thought they would be happier.

Suzanimal is innocent!!! She would never steal someone's property. She would feed and water it until someone found a good home for the critter just before it miraculously disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Animals don't have rights. They have a few privileges. Any pet owner will admit this if they are honest.
    That's kind of a tough one. I suppose that if we deemed them "pets" there could be some argument for that but the fact of the matter is that all of us alive today owe our very existence to animals.

I wish I could laugh at your joke but I have set a few animals free and found out later it didn't really work out for them. I set some mail order "seahorses" (I think they're really some sort of shrimp) free in our creek once and my brother called me a "dumb ass". I just thought they would be happier.

Suzanimal is innocent!!! She would never steal someone's property. She would feed and water it until someone found a good home for the critter just before it miraculously disappeared.
    Yeah, I know what you meant. I told you I was just fuggin with you.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast