Thread: Gravity water filter scientific test results released by Natural News

Gravity water filter scientific test results released by Natural News

I've been looking at these for awhile but I'm having a hard time deciding what to buy. Hopefully these test results will help me make a decision.

Gravity water filter scientific test results released by Natural News: Big Berkey, ProPur, Zen Water Systems and more

(NaturalNews) Every household should have at least one gravity water filter that doesn't need electricity to function, but which water filters perform the best when it comes to removing toxic elements and heavy metals?

To help answer the question, Natural News has published detailed results of the scientific testing of popular water filter brands. The results, achieved via ICP-MS instrumentation with parts-per-billion sensitivity, are published now at www.WaterFilterLabs.com

The new website features laboratory testing results of popular filters such as ProPur, Big Berkey, Zen Water Systems, Crystal Drop and Doulton. In addition, laboratory testing results for gravity countertop water filter are also published, covering ZeroWater, Pur, Brita, Culligan, Seychelle, WaterMan, Mavea and more.

All results were determined using ICP-MS instrumentation, the same technology used by universities and the FDA to test food and water for heavy metals contamination.

Elements tested include Aluminum, Copper, Arsenic, Strontium, Cadmium, Cesium, Mercury, Lead and Uranium. The scope of the laboratory testing did not encompass microbiology or organic chemical compounds such as pesticides.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/047620_wa...#ixzz3ItJZLOEr

Link to test results.

Independent laboratory testing results of popular gravity water filters

http://www.waterfilterlabs.com/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    AJ used to sell Berkey and switched to Propur...looks like he need to promote Berkey again.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    AJ used to sell Berkey and switched to Propur...looks like he need to promote Berkey again.
    Its too bad they didn't test AquaRain, being made in the usa and all.

AJ? Alex Jones? I thought this study was from Mike Adams.

Either way, if anyone uses any of these systems, I would appreciate some feedback.

I currently have a Primo water dispenser in my kitchen and although I'll miss having hot and cold water on tap, I'm sick of lugging around those 5 gal water bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    AJ? Alex Jones? I thought this study was from Mike Adams.

Either way, if anyone uses any of these systems, I would appreciate some feedback.

I currently have a Primo water dispenser in my kitchen and although I'll miss having hot and cold water on tap, I'm sick of lugging around those 5 gal water bottles.
    Mike Adams is on Alex Jones show all the time. I have Berkeys, but mostly use a reverse osmosis system.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Propur takes out glyphosate as well as fluoride.

I also have the pitcher: https://propurusa.com/Propur_Pitcher.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    I have used Berkey systems since 2006 and am also a Berkey dealer. For anyone interested in one send me a pm and I'll get you the best deal.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I have used Berkey systems since 2006 and am also a Berkey dealer. For anyone interested in one send me a pm and I'll get you the best deal.

A man of many trades. You'll be hearing from me.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I'm sick of lugging around those 5 gal water bottles.
    You might need to upgrade.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I was thinking about giving some of these to different family members (seniors) for Christmas but just am not sure if they'd actually take the time to fiddle with them. They only come with the two filters as I understand it. Is this true? Not that it makes any difference but I think 4 are probably better than two. Maybe if I put the things together they'd use them. Don't know.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-12-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Anybody know anything about Doulton brand? I don't really. But I put them on my Amazon wish list years ago after reading something positive about them on a blog just so I wouldn't forget. I notice that they weren't included in this study.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002R6XGDS/

Cody does a review - good stuff

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Mike Adams is on Alex Jones show all the time. I have Berkeys, but mostly use a reverse osmosis system.
    I had a guy come out and give me an estimate on a whole house RO system and he wanted to charge me like $15,000.00. He said his company did all the water purification for the troops in Afghanistan and his wife had severe diverticulitis.(Seriously, he really did tell me that) I suspected he was a nut job when he brought up the diverticulitis and chose not to do business with him.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I was thinking about giving some of these to different family members (seniors) for Christmas but just am not sure if they'd actually take the time to fiddle with them. They only come with the two filters as I understand it. Is this true? Not that it makes any difference but I think 4 are probably better than two. Maybe if I put the things together they'd use them. Don't know.
    There are some locals I help out in this way. You can help with the initial setup which takes about 30 minutes to just wash out the insides, prime the filters and assemble. You then toss the first filling. You basically redo that every 6-12 months depending on water quality which serves to clean the unit. Otherwise you just put water in the drop, so it's super easy to use and much less hassle than buying bottled water... Much cheaper too, it's about 3 cents a gallon to filter, tops. You can push your filter use too which beings down the cost even more.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Actually I can contribute to this thread. Two years ago I was the same position. Berkey was having some problems with their filter leaking and customer reviews were not very positive. I bought an Aqua Rain and have not looked back. I have well water and drink, cook and make tea with my aqua rain. I couldn't be happier with it. Good luck..

Edited to add, with my filter my water tastes great! Clean and refreshing as opposed to before with the typical "well water" taste.
    Last edited by sam1952; 11-13-2014 at 12:13 AM.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

There are some locals I help out in this way. You can help with the initial setup which takes about 30 minutes to just wash out the insides, prime the filters and assemble. You then toss the first filling. You basically redo that every 6-12 months depending on water quality which serves to clean the unit. Otherwise you just put water in the drop, so it's super easy to use and much less hassle than buying bottled water... Much cheaper too, it's about 3 cents a gallon to filter, tops. You can push your filter use too which beings down the cost even more.
    I spent some time reading about the them after posting my question so know a little more about them. We've been considering it for ourselves and it got me thinking of relatives who could maybe use them. Just kind of have to play 20 questions with them without giving away a Christmas idea to see if it'll be a waste of money. As you said, once the assembly is out of the way there really is nothing to it. Thanks. I'll poke around and see what's what.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Anybody know anything about Doulton brand? I don't really. But I put them on my Amazon wish list years ago after reading something positive about them on a blog just so I wouldn't forget. I notice that they weren't included in this study.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002R6XGDS/
    I use them, the filters are interchangeable with Berkey. I heard some concerns about the black berkey filters, so mostly use Doulton ceramic now. I never know if I should believe these studies or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    Actually I can contribute to this thread. Two years ago I was the same position. Berkey was having some problems with their filter leaking and customer reviews were not very positive. I bought an Aqua Rain and have not looked back. I have well water and drink, cook and make tea with my aqua rain. I couldn't be happier with it. Good luck..

Edited to add, with my filter my water tastes great! Clean and refreshing as opposed to before with the typical "well water" taste.
    There are a few reasons they can leak. It's possible for the filter mounting hole to have leftover shavings from the manufacturing process which interfere with making a good seal. You just have to clean this up. The most common problem is user error in either under tightening the filter nuts or not assembling them correctly by putting the washer on the outside of the unit, next to the nut. In rare cases the filter element can delaminate from its plastic mount, you can also get this with putting too much force on the filter when installed.

Otherwise it's all pretty simple without much room for problems, you have a filter base that mounts in a 3/8 inch hole.

For a cheap setup you can use your own plastic buckets and just drill how even many 3/8 inch holes that you want.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    I use them, the filters are interchangeable with Berkey. I heard some concerns about the black berkey filters, so mostly use Doulton ceramic now. I never know if I should believe these studies or not.
    What concerns? One thing is for sure is that there is a lot of fud and shill reviews in this market, similar to air filters. It's easy since the results are not as tangible as many things.

One thing that led me to Berkey was the ability to filter fluoride, I'm not sure who else has that now.

Side note, I certainly would really like to have a whole house filter but they don't make sense from a design or cost perspective.

Most of the leaking issues that I've read about have been at the spigot and as a result of the washers inside. I don't know if the spigot just hasn't been tighted properly or if the washers just aren't good. That seems to be the common observation. Seems like it's easily resolved if it is an issue. Just going by what I've read.

An interesting article by Natural News, but it is just junk science. I will post a complete reply soon.

Quote Originally Posted by StPaulMercantile View Post
    An interesting article by Natural News, but it is just junk science. I will post a complete reply soon.
    Response to Natural News testing of gravity water filters

Response to ICP-MS testing of gravity water filters conducted by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger

What He Didn't Tell You

In the fall of 2014, Natural News released test results performed by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger. I am the USA importer for Crystal Drop water filter stainless steel bodies. I wish to clarify some things that are not apparent from the summary results and headlines now circulating on the Internet.

Natural News is a Paid Affiliate of Big Berkey

Yes, the people who did the study receive compensation for helping sell Big Berkey water filters. They do state that they waited until after the test results were in before selecting Big Berkey to partner with. Here is a quote from the test results article found at http://www.waterfilterlabs.com/Intro...b-results.html
    "Natural News formed an affiliate relationship with Big Berkey to publicize their filters on our preparedness websites (such as BioDefense.com), earning a relatively small affiliate fee from each sale."

The Test Only Looked at Heavy Metals

Most people purchase gravity filters with ceramic filtering elements for the purpose of removing bacteria and common chemicals from water. Only a small percentage of purchasers are specifically looking for heavy metal reduction. This test did not measure removal of bacteria or the more common chemicals like chlorine or fluoride. Crystal Drop does offer the AquaCera CeraMetix ceramic filter for customers who want to add heavy metal (and fluoride) reduction capability, but this filter was not included in the testing. 

Selection of Filter Elements Pre-determined the Test Results

Of the filters tested, the Big Berkey was the only filter equipped with filtering elements that make any claim to remove heavy metals. When a person purchases a Crystal Drop water filter, they can choose from several types of ceramic filtering elements to fit their need. One of the elements we offer is the AquaCera CeraMetix. This filter element reduces levels of heavy metals and also fluoride. It seems odd to me that Natural News chose an AquaCera ceramic filter element that makes no claims to remove heavy metals to compete against a Berkey filter that does make such a claim, especially when AquaCera does manufacture a candle specifically designed to remove heavy metals and fluoride.
    Let's say I wanted to do a scientific experiment that compared how many sheets of plywood could be carried in a vehicle. For my testing, let's say I chose a Ford Fusion, a Chevrolet Impala and a Dodge Ram 3500 pickup truck. After running my tests and concluding that the Dodge truck was the clear winner, I could then write a headline saying "Dodge Wins - Ford and Chevrolet Failed Test". While technically true, my choices of models within the brands pre-determined the results of the test.
    In the Adams test results, the following statement was made:
    "Water filter performance varies from near perfect to almost useless"
    This statement is true only if you understand the context in which it was written - i.e., heavy metal reduction. Had he chosen the CeraMetix ceramic candles in the Crystal Drop water filter body, the results would have been much different.

Conclusion

I agree that filter manufacturers need to do more independent third-party testing of their products. American consumers want to have the data they need to choose the product that best fits their needs. But when a testing lab partners with one of the manufacturers of the tested products and receives compensation for promoting a specific product, that has to raise a red flag. If you are going to test products for heavy metal reduction, then choose products that claim to remove heavy metals. This test could have pit the Big Berkey against the Crystal Drop filter equipped with AquaCera CeraMetix ceramic candles, or against the Doulton filter equipped with the Doulton SuperSterasyl ATC candles. It did not.
    Individual consumers need to determine for themselves whether heavy metal contamination is something they need to be concerned about. Filters that reduce heavy metals cost more, so the premium price must be weighed against the actual need. In the event of a major disruption to the water supply, people should be concerned first with bacteria removal. In my 16 years of selling water filters, including Big Berkeys for more than a decade, I have had only a handful of people ask about heavy metal reduction. And with the Crystal Drop filters I currently sell (equipped with Aqua Cera ceramic candles), the consumer has the choice of purchasing standard ceramic candles, black candles that remove additional chemicals and pesticides, or candles that also remove fluoride and heavy metals.

Side Points

In the test, Adams says the filters were obtained on Amazon during the spring and summer of 2014. While I don't doubt that Adams had a filter with the Crystal Drop logo on it, I don't know where he obtained it. I am the only USA importer of Crystal Drop stainless steel cans, and a fire destroyed our warehouses on January 1, 2014. From 1/1/14 until early November, 2014, no Crystal Drop filter bodies were sold in the United States. I am not saying that anybody lied - simply that the acquisition date and/or place is incorrect. I have photos of the debris field that include almost 2000 Crystal Drop water filter bodies.
    The test did not include any Berkefeld water filters. Dealers who sell Big Berkey products often sell Berkefeld candles as well. Berkefeld and Doulton ceramic candles are identical - both are made by Fairey Industrial Ceramics in England, commissioned by the Doulton-Berkefeld company that owns both brand names. The only difference between the brand names is the packaging and pricing. Had the Berkefeld water filter been tested, it would have had the same poor results (in removing heavy metals) as the Doulton.

Can you pm me about Berkey water system deals

It's not a gravity system but we had a rainsoft system for the whole house, with well water and loved it. Took all the bad tastes out of the water but it was massive. Evidently they have a faucet attachment thing but we didn't get that.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.