Thread: Massachusetts school installs ‘Shooter Detection System’

Massachusetts school installs ‘Shooter Detection System’

Still from youtube video (Shooter Detection Systems)

A Shooter Detection System (SDS) - created with the help of the military and the first of its kind in the US – has been installed in an undisclosed Massachusetts school. The sensor can detect the sound of a gunshot, immediately alerting authorities.

The SDS was installed for free as a pilot program, and had its first demonstration on Veteran’s Day. During a simulated exercise, a “gunman” entered the school with an assault rifle and opened fire using blank ammunition in the school library, in hallways and classrooms.

CEO Christian Connors told Reuters, “The system was the first of its kind in the country, and the company was talking to the federal government about its wider use. The system costs $20,000 to $100,000.”

Other schools in California and Virginia, as well as an airport “will soon install the system as well,” said Connors.

Continued - Massachusetts school installs ‘Shooter Detection System’

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Popping off M-80s in school was never so much fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

How much does this cost?

What is average time since school shooting started till someone called 911?
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Popping off M-80s in school was never so much fun.
    Wooo-hoooo!. I'm all in. What period?

We're turning out to be just like Britain. A Christmas tree of Cameras on every street-corner, and they aren't good for anything except making youtube videos of someone being a victim of crime.

How much does it cost? This set-up was free, the article says, because it's a pilot sample. It's like a free sample.

I'm also curious if this might actually encourage sociopaths to perform school shootings. They do it for attention, right? So, give them a camera that automatically locks onto them when they fire a shot? It sounds like a nut-case's idea of heaven.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

What exactly is this supposed to accomplish? Nobody in a school upon hearing gunshots has the presence of mind to call 911, so they have to automate it? So instead of the old way, where people call 911 within 60 seconds of gunfire, now we have a machine that will call 911 within 15 seconds of gunfire? And that extra 45 seconds is going to cost what, millions of dollars?

Even assuming all the fear mongering is legit, I cannot possibly see the point in this thing.

Americans so deserve this kind of stupidity.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

BETTER YET:
    A wide-area cardiac monitor system could detect an M.I. in progress, possibly saving the teacher's life (or the life of that fat kid who's always either sleeping or eating).

It could also detect forbidden passion (teacher-student, student-teacher, teacher-teacher, student-student sex) if the BPM exceeded a certain threshold established by the united nations.

Does the detector in the OP also have an automatic defibrillator? Yea, didn't think so...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Only government would come up with something so stupid as this.

What good does it do anyone, once the shooting has commenced?

Arm the teachers. Train them. Give blessing to shoot stone dead anyone attempting to bring students to harm.

This is not rocket surgery.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

So is this thing supposed to call the janitor to clean up or something?

It's not like it's going to stop anybody from shooting. The best it can do is alert the janitor he has a cleanup in that room.

Edit: Maybe it drops bars down over the doors and windows keeping the shooter in one room?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    What exactly is this supposed to accomplish? Nobody in a school upon hearing gunshots has the presence of mind to call 911, so they have to automate it? So instead of the old way, where people call 911 within 60 seconds of gunfire, now we have a machine that will call 911 within 15 seconds of gunfire? And that extra 45 seconds is going to cost what, millions of dollars?

Even assuming all the fear mongering is legit, I cannot possibly see the point in this thing.
    Exactly. So stupid. Like alerting the authorities within seconds is the problem that needs to be solved.

How much you wanna bet they get false alarms triggered when the teacher drops the erasable marker into the metal tray at the bottom of the erasable board?
    Last edited by dannno; 11-13-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Anyone remember watching old filmstrips in history class? Civil War was always a fun one. Don't know that it would be very practical watching those with no volume.

I hung a string of ~200 firecrackers out the second story window in math class with a cigarette for a delayed fuse. When they when off during class, the teacher just rolled his eyes.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I hung a string of ~200 firecrackers out the second story window in math class with a cigarette for a delayed fuse. When they when off during class, the teacher just rolled his eyes.
    Today, SWAT, lockdown, and a trip to jail and criminal charges. What in hell has happened to our land? Progressives happened.

We used to lower 60K electrolytic capacitors out the window in Steinman Hall at CCNY and then turn on the 460V line to which it was attached. The resulting explosion was VERY loud. Today, that sort of thing might get you shot.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Oh thank goodness. They'll be able to play dead that much earlier, confusing the hell out of the shooter.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.