Thread: What playing an instrument does to your brain

Thumbs up What playing an instrument does to your brain

Interesting TED talk, IMO...so I thought I'd share.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've been listening to a great deal of Renaissance style music lately but it's been from Blackmore's Night. Those folks play a lot of old world instruments from around the world. Which is hard to do, I suppose. It's really good. And I have to say it does actually sooth the old noggin. It's like the old calgon take me away kind of thing. TED talk makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I've been listening to a great deal of Renaissance style music lately but it's been from Blackmore's Night. Those folks play a lot of old world instruments from around the world. Which is hard to do, I suppose. It's really good. And I have to say it does actually sooth the old noggin. It's like the old calgon take me away kind of thing. TED talk makes sense.
    I play a few "world" instruments (dizi, duduk, etc). Some are very difficult, others are pretty easy. Relatively few use Western tuning systems that you're probably used to, so it's difficult to fit them into Western contexts (as modern composers occasionally do). ATM, duduk is my fave "exotic":

Mine is tuned in A, but they can be made in several keys.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I truly believe my son being a musician helped him recover when he had his brain injury.

Yeah, that's the exact same kind of thing they play in the band I'd mentioned. Except a different kind of music. It is pretty neat to actually hear music played. Too much noise with all of the singing and whatnot. Some of those instruments are tough, I'd imagine.

HB, skip to 38:20 here (which is actually a full show that I'm sure you'd enjoy). Is this a similar instrument? Or exactly the instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I truly believe my son being a musician helped him recover when he had his brain injury.
    Is possible. Frequency and the way that we respond to it neurologically in the form of music has been studied for thousands of years. You could be right, carleybee.

Ode to the brain...

Actually, the woman in this video (Jill Bolte Taylor) had a stroke and it's screwy irony that she is a neuroanatomist and was able to study it while she was having it. Here's the actual TED talk that was auto tuned above. It's pretty good and is essentially what you mention here.

Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-10-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    HB, skip to 38:20 here (which is actually a full show that I'm sure you'd enjoy). Is this a similar instrument? Or exactly the instrument?

No, it's a double reed instrument of some sort (it seems to be of celtic origin, judging by the timbre and fingerings she uses)-very similar to the oboe. Duduk uses a split reed.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Very cool, HB34!
    I play the violin, btw.

15 Amazing Effects Music Has On Your Health (Backed By Science)

By : Eevee G, Iheartintelligence.com | Many people don’t know this but listening to music is not just something that brings joy, it can also improve your health in a variety of ways and scientists have proven that through many researches. Read on to find how music can make your life more awesome.

Helps you sleep better

Music contributes for a healthy sleep. Researchers have found that classical music can help us deal with Insomnia, especially college students. This is definitely a healthier and much cheaper fix for your sleeping disorder than taking pills.

Fights stress

It is no surprise that listening to music helps relieve stress off your shoulders.Studies have found that music stimulates biochemical stress reducers which helps us feel more relaxed.

Helps you get in touch with yourself

As it puts us in a better mood, music helps us get in touch with our emotions, a 2013 study suggests. The participants marked “self-awareness” as one of the most important advantages of music.

It relieves pain

Music has the ability to decrease the intensity of the pain. It activates sensory pathways that fight pain pathways and takes a person’s attention away from the pain.

Fights anxiety

When we are feeling anxious, listening to music can help us fight it as it has the same effect on the brain as a massage has on the body.

Acts as a motivator for bikers and runners.

College students conducted a research and proved that the people who rode stationary bicycles were able to work harder while they were listening to fast music compared to those who weren’t listening to any music during the experiment. If you are like me and prefer running, listening to your favorite songs can help you beat your personal records and even strengthen your endurance. Long story short, music helps you perform better during your workouts and also makes them a lot more enjoyable.

Helps you recover faster after a workout.

It’s proven that your body recovers faster after a hard workout when you are listening to your favorite music.

Fights sadness

Researchers have found that music can successfully fight symptoms of depression but the genre is very important. Classical and meditation music can boost your mood when you are feeling down, but listening to heavy metal or techno music won’t help that much with chasing away the bad thoughts.

Helps the function of the blood vessels

Science has proven that the emotions that people have while listening to music contribute to healthier functions of blood vessels. As music makes you feel happier, it boosts the blood flow in your blood vessels.

Helps with stroke recovery

A Finnish study found that if stroke patients listened to music for 2 hours a day, they recover faster. Not only their moods improve, but also their verbal abilities and attention span, too.

Improves performance in high-pressure experiences

Fast music can help you fight stress before a high-pressure experience- an important game, for example. Researches have proven that listening to fast music just before a basketball game helped player relieve the stress and perform better.

Makes you mindful while you eat

Playing some music in the background is proven to help people slow down and enjoy their feeding process. This makes them more aware of what they are consuming and really tasting the food rather than eating quickly which leaves them feeling hungry and dissatisfied with the meal.

Improves cognitive functions

Playing background music while working on tasks that need your mental focus can boost your performance. A research has found that music can boost one’s cognitive abilities, but only if it has the same effect on the emotional state.

Music can get you into a state similar to meditation

Slow music can have effect on the speed of your brainwaves which makes them similar to someone who is in a meditative or hypnotic state. This can have a healing effect as it eases the symptoms of PMS and behavioral issues.

Eases patients going through a surgery

A research discovered that when patients are played music just before a cardiovascular surgery, they start feeling less worried. Moreover, music reduces the stress after the surgery if it is played while the patients are resting in their beds.

It doesn’t matter what the music of your choice is. The information above has probably assured you that music will not only bring joy and inspiration to your life, but is a great source of health as well.
    http://themindunleashed.org/2014/11/...d-science.html

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Very cool, HB34!
    I play the violin, btw.
    We should jam sometime! Hope you can sight-read well.
    ~hugs~

DO DRUMMERS HAVE DIFFERENT BRAINS FROM THE REST OF US?

The April 25, 2011 issue of the New Yorker contained a fascinating article about David Eagleman, the celebrated neuroscientist and director of the Laboratory for Perception and Action at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. The title of the piece is “The Possibilian: What a brush with death taught David Eagleman about the mysteries of time and the brain.” It’s far too complex an essay to summarize in a blog post, but if you enjoy pop science articles (and Doctor Who) as much I do, this one is an absolutely terrific read.

What I wanted to call your attention to here is an incredible event described in the article where a bunch of professional drummers, invited by Brian Eno and from some of the biggest bands in the world, allowed Eagleman to observe them. They were outfitted with EEG units on their heads in special workstations for the data collection. The tests were conducted on a laptop. A software program asked the drummers to do four things: Keep a steady beat; compare the length of two tones; synchronize a beat to an image and compare different rhythms to one another.

Burkhard Bilger writes:

Early this winter, I joined Eagleman in London for his most recent project: a study of time perception in drummers. Timing studies tend to be performed on groups of random subjects or on patients with brain injuries or disorders. They’ve given us a good sense of average human abilities, but not the extremes: just how precise can a person’s timing be? “In neuroscience, you usually look for animals that are best at something,” Eagleman told me, over dinner at an Italian restaurant in Notting Hill. “If it’s memory, you study songbirds; if it’s olfaction, you look at rats and dogs. If I were studying athletes, I’d want to find the guy who can run a four-minute mile. I wouldn’t want a bunch of chubby high-school kids.”

The idea of studying drummers had come from Brian Eno, the composer, record producer, and former member of the band Roxy Music. Over the years, Eno had worked with U2, David Byrne, David Bowie, and some of the world’s most rhythmically gifted musicians. He owned a studio a few blocks away, in a converted stable on a cobblestoned cul-de-sac, and had sent an e-mail inviting a number of players to participate in Eagleman’s study. “The question is: do drummers have different brains from the rest of us?” Eno said. “Everyone who has ever worked in a band is sure that they do.”
    The drummers study was inspired by an anecdote Eno told Eagleman:

“I was working with Larry Mullen, Jr., on one of the U2 albums,” Eno told me. “ ‘All That You Don’t Leave Behind,’ or whatever it’s called.” Mullen was playing drums over a recording of the band and a click track—a computer-generated beat that was meant to keep all the overdubbed parts in synch. In this case, however, Mullen thought that the click track was slightly off: it was a fraction of a beat behind the rest of the band. “I said, ‘No, that can’t be so, Larry,’ ” Eno recalled. “ ‘We’ve all worked to that track, so it must be right.’ But he said, ‘Sorry, I just can’t play to it.’ ”

Eno eventually adjusted the click to Mullen’s satisfaction, but he was just humoring him. It was only later, after the drummer had left, that Eno checked the original track again and realized that Mullen was right: the click was off by six milliseconds. “The thing is,” Eno told me, “when we were adjusting it I once had it two milliseconds to the wrong side of the beat, and he said, ‘No, you’ve got to come back a bit.’ Which I think is absolutely staggering.”
    http://dangerousminds.net/comments/d...he_rest_of_us1

Very cool, HB34!
    I play the violin, btw.
    ya know...

Hope you can sight-read well.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

How do you know the stage is level?
    The drummer is drooling out of both sides of his mouth.
    1.What is the difference between a pizza and a drummer?
    The Pizza can feed a family of four

2.What’s the last thing a drummer says in a band?
    “Hey Guys, why don’t we try one of my songs?

3.What do you call a drummer in a three-piece suit?
    The Defendant

4.Did you hear about the drummer that went to college?
    Me Neither.

5.How do you make a drummer’s car more aerodynamic?
    Take the pizza delivery sign off the roof.

6.What is the difference between a drummer and a savings bond?
    The savings bond will mature and make money.

7.Did you hear about the bass player that locked his keys in the car?
    It took 3 hours to get the drummer out!

8.What’s the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?
    You only have to punch the instruction into a drum machine once.

9.I told my Mom when I grow up I want to be a drummer. She said you cant do both.

10.How do you know a drummer is at your door?
    The knocking gets faster and he doesn’t know when to come in!

lulz

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    How do you know the stage is level?
    The drummer is drooling out of both sides of his mouth.
    1.What is the difference between a pizza and a drummer?
    The Pizza can feed a family of four

2.What’s the last thing a drummer says in a band?
    “Hey Guys, why don’t we try one of my songs?

3.What do you call a drummer in a three-piece suit?
    The Defendant

4.Did you hear about the drummer that went to college?
    Me Neither.

5.How do you make a drummer’s car more aerodynamic?
    Take the pizza delivery sign off the roof.

6.What is the difference between a drummer and a savings bond?
    The savings bond will mature and make money.

7.Did you hear about the bass player that locked his keys in the car?
    It took 3 hours to get the drummer out!

8.What’s the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?
    You only have to punch the instruction into a drum machine once.

9.I told my Mom when I grow up I want to be a drummer. She said you cant do both.

10.How do you know a drummer is at your door?
    The knocking gets faster and he doesn’t know when to come in!

lulz
    lol!

lol!

You've met your share of drummers too, eh? The stereotypes about them aren't always true, but they are accurate often enough to be lulz-y.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    You've met your share of drummers too, eh? The stereotypes about them aren't always true, but they are accurate often enough to be lulz-y.
    I dated a cute drummer many moons ago.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I dated a cute drummer many moons ago.
    And you lived to tell the tale! I am impress.