Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are term limits bad for us?

Are term limits bad for us?

I've been hearing a lot of you want Washington to have term limits, but I see a problem with that. If there are term limits then there would be no senior legislator with institutional knowledge and lobbyists and special interest will take advantage of the new legislators and dominate the passage of laws. I mean if there were term limits Ron Paul wouldn't be as effective and known to us if say he was termed out in 2004.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    nothing is going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss, from The Lorax

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's an old discussion on it. It's an interesting question, for sure.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post3783344

You know, truth be told, Ron gets more done these days after his many years of service. He's no longer accountable to every single joker that comes along with a personal gripe. As it is, he can now focus on what he thinks is important and is why we have the luxury of works such as these... http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5696825

Ron and his base are far more dangerous to the establishment now more than they ever were while he was in office. And they know it. Have faith in that.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-10-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilluxe View Post
    I've been hearing a lot of you want Washington to have term limits, but I see a problem with that. If there are term limits then there would be no senior legislator with institutional knowledge and lobbyists and special interest will take advantage of the new legislators and dominate the passage of laws. I mean if there were term limits Ron Paul wouldn't be as effective and known to us if say he was termed out in 2004.
    How is your proposed scenario any different than how things operate now? Lobbyists and special interests take advantage of legislators and dominate the passage of law PRECISELY due to the old, lifetime legislators understanding exactly how the system works and are seasoned in corruption and graft.

"there would be no senior legislator with institutional knowledge and lobbyists and special interest will take advantage"

I am besides myself. That is precisely what happens now. By making it a career, they get rich by bowing down and toeing the line.

"institutional knowledge" should come from the bureaucrats that advise the politicians. But the politicians should not be there long (as a career) to be influence in their decision making to prolong their careers.
    Last edited by Danke; 11-10-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Here's an old discussion on it. It's an interesting question, for sure.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post3783344

You know, truth be told, Ron gets more done these days after his many years of service. He's no longer accountable to every single joker that comes along with a personal gripe. As it is, he can now focus on what he thinks is important and is why we have the luxury of works such as these... http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5696825

Ron and his base are far more dangerous to the establishment now more than they ever were while he was in office. And they know it. Have faith in that.
    Truth. RP was pretty much the lone voice of reason in congress, but he never got his pet issues pushed through legislatively (unless you count a partial FED audit a significant victory) and was-save a few times-the ONLY no vote on absurd and/or unconstitutional/illegal congressional actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I used to believe that "elections were the term limits" until I ended up in office. After which I became a strong supporter of term limits.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Truth. RP was pretty much the lone voice of reason in congress, but he never got his pet issues pushed through legislatively (unless you count a partial FED audit a significant victory) and was-save a few times-the ONLY no vote on absurd and/or unconstitutional/illegal congressional actions.
    Aye, RP had all the seniority he needed. If seniority meant anything at all except to the establishment, then RP would have had a lot more oomph than he did.

Zero is a really helpful one.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Term limits are good .

I've heard the argument before and I think it's rather weak. Senior legislators are even more prone to hearing what lobbyists want. Lobbyists specifically target senior legislators when they want goodies because they know senior legislators have the power of persuasion to get things through Congress.

We couldn't get rid of Saxby Chambliss in GA after he voted for the bailouts in 2008, because Republicans were scared to death of what GA might lose if Chambliss were bumped out in a primary race. The man gave $800 billion to the lobbyists you mention.

On the contrary, I wish Congress were full of idiots so inept at passing legislation that lobbying them would be a complete waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

I've heard the argument before and I think it's rather weak. Senior legislators are even more prone to hearing what lobbyists want. Lobbyists specifically target senior legislators when they want goodies because they know senior legislators have the power of persuasion to get things through Congress.

We couldn't get rid of Saxby Chambliss in GA after he voted for the bailouts in 2008, because Republicans were scared to death of what GA might lose if Chambliss were bumped out in a primary race. We'd lose our seniority, they cried. The man gave $800 billion to the lobbyists you mention.

On the contrary, I wish Congress were full of idiots so inept at passing legislation that lobbying them would be a complete waste of time.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

I see the tide is turning finally. I've always been for term limits. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ht=term+limits
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Goodness all these duplicate posts lately.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

I really like my "REELECT NO ONE" bumper sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Goodness all these duplicate posts lately.
    Well, mine is back from May.....
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Yeah, I oppose term limits at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    "there would be no senior legislator with institutional knowledge and lobbyists and special interest will take advantage"

I am besides myself. That is precisely what happens now. By making it a career, they get rich by bowing down and toeing the line.

"institutional knowledge" should come from the bureaucrats that advise the politicians. But the politicians should not be there long (as a career) to be influence in their decision making to prolong their careers.
    That would give the real power to the unelected career bureaucrats.

Term limits reduces your choices for who you get to vote for- good or bad.

Just considering some things here but I think I'll distill it as such:

Term limits in the short term do not help us, some of our best allies would be term limited and gone. I do think however that in the long run getting some of the longer sitting (sucking up to power) members would also be gone, increasing the number of unknown people going into congress. With more people running for office that are relatively unknown I'd expect at least a little bit of an interest in what they have to say. Even though the effects may be minimal I think a debate between yet unelected people always gives a better result at the polls than a debate between an already elected official and a challenger.

So yeah. I don't think term limits are a major issue to fight for but if the opportunity arises it's something to seriously consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

Agree.

The problems with term limits have NOTHING TO DO with no "insider information" or power.

The problem with term limits, imo, is that we'd have too many lame ducks that vote for themselves on their way out, every 2 years. We think they don't give a $#@! about us now? Ha - with term limits they have even LESS reason to care!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Throw the bums out! We need real change in Washington!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Term limits mean nothing except that the corrupt politicians will be changing faces more frequently.

It does not strike at the root of the problem, which is government itself. So long as there is government, it will continually grow and gain more and more power for itself by selling favors to the highest bidder.

We cannot.....repeat cannot......have a class of people who have more rights than other people and maintain freedom.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

I like the idea of term limits, but I also want Amash, Massie, etc. to be around for a long time.
    Stop believing stupid things

So only term limits on the guys you don't like, eh?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There should be no politicians. There should be citizen/statesmen. Those that care enough that they wish to serve. It should never be considered a life long job w/ the perks and retirement benefits that it has become.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-13-2016 at 09:39 AM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    That would give the real power to the unelected career bureaucrats.
    no it wouldn't.

Term limits reduces your choices for who you get to vote for- good or bad.
    with an adult population pushing 200 million, I doubt that.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    I like the idea of term limits, but I also want Amash, Massie, etc. to be around for a long time.
    They just run for higher office .

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    So only term limits on the guys you don't like, eh?
    Nope , everyone .

As I said , term limits are good .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast