Thread: Record early snow amounts in Maine, ski resorts open in New England

Exclamation Record early snow amounts in Maine, ski resorts open in New England

Suddenly Ski Season in New England

http://www.necn.com/weather/stories/...282087611.html

Sunday, Nov. 9, in Newton, Massachusetts, it's peak foliage time.

But in our mountains, the leaves are down and it's been snowy and cold.

About two minutes after the final trick-or-treater ran away with the last Snickers bar, holiday advertisements debuted on the radio. Not to be late for the party, Mother Nature sent New England's first snowfall the morning after Halloween. Snow was so heavy the first two days of November that more than 100,000 lost electricity in the State of Maine.

Then, six days later, we saw another six-inch snowfall in Maine. The snow in the Pine Tree State broke records.

The National Weather Service issued the following statement on Sunday:

NORTHERN AND EASTERN MAINE OFF TO A SNOWY START THIS
    NOVEMBER...

SO FAR THIS NOVEMBER A TOTAL OF 15.8 INCHES OF SNOW HAS BEEN
    OBSERVED AT CARIBOU. THIS IS 14.2 INCHES ABOVE NORMAL...AND IS BY
    FAR THE SNOWIEST START TO THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER ON RECORD. PRIOR
    TO THIS NOVEMBER...2004 HAD THE SNOWIEST START TO THE MONTH OF
    NOVEMBER WITH 11.1 INCHES DURING THE FIRST 8 DAYS OF THE MONTH.
    THE ALL-TIME SNOWIEST NOVEMBER AT CARIBOU WAS IN 1974 WHEN THERE
    WAS A TOTAL OF 34.9 INCHES OF SNOW. BY COMPARISON...THE AVERAGE
    SNOWFALL FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH OF NOVEMBER AT CARIBOU IS 10.5
    INCHES.

AT BANGOR...A TOTAL OF 12 INCHES OF SNOW HAS BEEN OBSERVED SO FAR
    THIS NOVEMBER...WHICH IS 11.9 INCHES ABOVE NORMAL. IT IS ALSO BY
    FAR THE SNOWIEST START TO THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER ON RECORD. PRIOR
    TO THIS NOVEMBER...1968 HAD THE SNOWIEST START TO THE MONTH OF
    NOVEMBER WITH 4.7 INCHES OF SNOW DURING THE FIRST 8 DAYS OF THE
    MONTH. THE ALL-TIME SNOWIEST NOVEMBER AT BANGOR WAS IN 1962 WHEN
    THERE WAS A TOTAL OF 24.6 INCHES OF SNOW. BY COMPARISON...THE
    AVERAGE SNOWFALL FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH OF NOVEMBER AT BANGOR IS
    ONLY 2.3 INCHES.
    CB

There has been less snow in New Hampshire and Vermont, but it's been plenty cold for snow-making. The five areas open Sunday were Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Killington, Bretton Woods and here at Wildcat Mountain.

With 2,000 feet top to bottom, Wildcat may have the most vertical in the entire nation.

snip...

New England gets into this next batch of 'pre-winter' winter storminess, beginning Friday. Due to the fast flow and high sensitivity of each short wave coming around the long wave powerhouse upper low from 90 degrees north latitude, we are not able to deliver a high-confidence forecast beyond a day or two. The stakes are high - snow will come with the cold by Friday, but it is difficult to say where and how much. This cold outbreak may rival the most early expansive winter as we have seen in decades (thinking 1976). It appears the heart of this cold outbreak for New England is Nov. 15-25. But if I had to lay odds, my guess is most New England snow plow operators will be put to work before Thanksgiving, when we may be playing ice hockey on the bogs near Cape Cod.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From the comments:

Duane Bartlett · Top Commenter

Didnt the WH administration recently say that the #1 threat facing our country is climate change aka global warming? ....another reason the GOP won big in the election!!!

Richard Frascone · Top Commenter

Duane I love making fun of you "simple-folk" who don't understand science/ Are you busy???????

Carol Mathews · Top Commenter · Ocala, Florida

Richard, I love making fun of you "simple folk" who are still trying to convince themselves that COLD really means WARMING.

Carol Mathews: Carol the science is settled. Are you home-schooled???????

(Richard: only zealots and ideologues ever say "the science is settled".

Attaching leeches for illness was "settled" 300 years ago.

And last year it was "settled" that the Higgs boson particle had been found. - AF)
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 11-10-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Snow and winter RULES!

Last year it was BRUTAL though. Way too cold.

I will be splitting wood again weekend after this , sawed wood last weekend .By the end of the month , I may have enough to last through Feb .

Wahoo!! Bring it!! I'm so ready to ski

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Carol Mathews: Carol the science is settled. Are you home-schooled???????

(Richard: only zealots and ideologues ever say "the science is settled".

Attaching leeches for illness was "settled" 300 years ago.

And last year it was "settled" that the Higgs boson particle had been found. - AF)
    A certain physics student was once advised by his mentor to pursue a career as a concert pianist - because classical mechanics was a finished work (i.e., "settled science") and there was nothing left for physicists to do (except refine their measurements by more decimal places).

That student declined his mentor's advice and went on to turn physics on its ear. He was Max Planck - the "father" of quantum mechanics ...

And then there are the cases of Alfred Wegener, Ignaz Semmelweis, etc., etc.

Doofuses who jabber about "settled science" do nothing but demonstrate how little they understand about science or its history.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Well , looks like Sat will be the third time since 10/20 I will have seen snow , been awhile since that .Guess global warming is on hold again this yr .

Meanwhile out here in California temps are running above normal and still in drought. Global warming continues here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Meanwhile out here in California temps are running above normal and still in drought. Global warming continues here.
    Do you understand what the word "global" means?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

New England snow is certainly not global either. The US is only two percent of the Earth. Neither really says anything about Climate Change by themselves.

Still snowing and down to 6 degrees tonight , last time I saw this in Nov was at least 35 yrs ago , that I remember . Still had corn to get out then .....

New England snow is certainly not global either. The US is only two percent of the Earth. Neither really says anything about Climate Change by themselves.
    Coldest and wettest summer in my 10 yrs living in Nebraska. The same is being reported by my folks in Nigeria. And we all know deserty area of California have never had warm summers or droughts ever in its history.

Coldest and wettest summer in my 10 yrs living in Nebraska. The same is being reported by my folks in Nigeria. And we all know deserty area of California have never had warm summers or droughts ever in its history.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Do you understand what the word "global" means?
    It's really no different than observing the cold weather while scoffing at global warming theories. Both are wrong. That isn't how climate change is measured. And rest assured, the climate is always a changin.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Still snowing and down to 6 degrees tonight , last time I saw this in Nov was at least 35 yrs ago , that I remember . Still had corn to get out then .....
    Still no snow in this part of NH It rained all of yesterday.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.