Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gov't fines couple for declining to host gay marriage on farm

Gov't fines couple for declining to host gay marriage on farm

Cynthia and Robert Gifford are caught in a same-sex nightmare. They’ve been forced to defend themselves against claims that they’re lesbian-hating homophobes.

“We respect and care for everyone!’’ Cynthia Gifford told me. “We had an openly gay man working for us this past season,’’ she said.

“We’ve had a woman who’s transitioning to be a man. We don’t discriminate against anyone.’’

But the government of the state of New York sees things differently. The Giffords, who own the bucolic Liberty Ridge Farm in upstate New York, were ordered to pay a total of $13,000 — a $10,000 fine to the state and another $1,500 to each member of a lesbian couple to compensate them for “mental anguish.’’ All because the Giffords, devout Christians, refused to hold a same-sex wedding ceremony on the property on which they live, work and have raised a daughter, 17, and a son, 21.
    cont.
    http://nypost.com/2014/11/10/couple-...on-their-farm/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I will not be hosting any marriages on my farm as well , or paying any fines .

I do not have any handicapped or pregnancy parking as well , LOL

$10,000 fine to the state
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Yes , since the state worked so hard for that money .

they are the victims(where no real victims are found).
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

I think the people being fined were afraid that their real pigs would be eaten by these human pigs.

Pigs will eat just about anything.

[IMG]https://********************************/2014/11/lesbian_wedding_denied.jpg[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

That's just an excuse to rob those folks. Times are tight and the state is looking for ways to increase revenue.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And this is why some of us are against same sex marriage. It's going to end up clashing with religious freedom. Get the state out of marriage. Marriage can be equalized without forcing gay marriage down the throats of people who, rightly or wrongly, don't agree with it.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

It's funny...the same sex couples and activists were never threatened with fines or jail before the definition of State marriage changed. Now they're using the State to punish people who can't accommodate their ceremony.

The genie's out of the bottle though. Even if the govt got out of marriage, couldn't these people still file a complaint to the State for discrimination?
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    It's funny...the same sex couples and activists were never threatened with fines or jail before the definition of State marriage changed. Now they're using the State to punish people who can't accommodate their ceremony.

The genie's out of the bottle though. Even if the govt got out of marriage, couldn't these people still file a complaint to the State for discrimination?
    That depends on the law in the particular state. But if the federal government ever weighs in on gay marriage these stupid lawsuits will likely take on a federal connotation. Getting the government out of marriage is a way to deal with the "equality" issue without opening up Pandora's box even further.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

What about the farmers mental anguish ? Screw these nasty ass lesbians.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

I would define "mental anguish" as being forced to do something at gunpoint -and not as being denied something that wasn't mine.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

being conditioned to be taught that the government is your god, like in the USSR
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    I would define "mental anguish" as being forced to do something at gunpoint -and not as being denied something that wasn't mine.

I want to go in your house and watch tv, but you won't let me. I got mental anguish now.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post

That's probably true. Marriage laws really have nothing to do with discrimination laws. They're both wrong, but not letting gay couples get state marriage licenses still wouldn't stop the barrage of anti-discrimination lawsuits and complaints, which the state is bound to act on regardless of marriage "equality."
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I think the people being fined were afraid that their real pigs would be eaten by these human pigs.

Pigs will eat just about anything.

[IMG]https://********************************/2014/11/lesbian_wedding_denied.jpg[/IMG]
    You can almost tell what a self-absorbed, entitled prick a person is just by looking at them these days.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

so much for

escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    That's probably true. Marriage laws really have nothing to do with discrimination laws. They're both wrong, but not letting gay couples get state marriage licenses still wouldn't stop the barrage of anti-discrimination lawsuits and complaints, which the state is bound to act on regardless of marriage "equality."
    ^That is not true. You have to understand the synergy of state action. Read IRS v. Bob Jones University to understand. In that case BJU was stripped of its tax exempt status because it refused to allow interracial dating. Stupid yes. But they should have a right to be stupid. The Supreme Court's holding was that since the executive branch had struck down segregation of the military, the judicial branch had struck down separate but equal, and the legislative branch had enacted the 1964 civil rights act, segregation went against "public policy" and since the tax exempt status was for charities and since charities are supposed to further public policy, BJU should have its tax exempt status revoked.

Now apply that same "logic" to gay marriage. The SCOTUS is a hairs breadth from striking down all laws restricting state recognized marriages to between 1 man and 1 woman. The executive branch has effectively accepted gay marriage by overturning DADT. And recently someone was arguing here at RPF that restricting marriage to a man and a woman is a form of "gender discrimination". Well "gender discrimination" is covered by the 1964 civil rights act. Now granted, that logic was over the top ridiculous, but the SCOTUS has recently had some over the top ridiculous 5-4 decisions. We already have pastors being "legally" pressured to turn over sermons to see if they have "anti-gay" language in them.

Nothing happens in isolation.

with respect to freedom of choice and more importantly private property issues, i really hope those two that got (stole) $1500 each use that money to buy the biggest dildo ever made and $#@! each other with it until they bleed out. as for the state getting $10000, well they can go $#@! themselves to.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    And this is why some of us are against same sex marriage. It's going to end up clashing with religious freedom. Get the state out of marriage. Marriage can be equalized without forcing gay marriage down the throats of people who, rightly or wrongly, don't agree with it.
    If "marriage is one man - one women" proponents spent the amount of time getting government out of marriage as they did keeping gays from marrying it would already be a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    If "marriage is one man - one women" proponents spent the amount of time getting government out of marriage as they did keeping gays from marrying it would already be a done deal.
    As you well know, the overwhelming majority of Americans on all sides of any issue fully embrace government at all levels. Maybe we could get the "one man - one woman" proponents to see the value of getting the government out of marriage if all libertarians spoke on that as a united front. But instead half (guestimate) fall into the "Well we've got to expand the government role in the meantime to be fair" camp.

Edit: And your argument reminds me of those who say "We need NAFTA for free trade". When others of us say "Managed trade isn't free trade. Get the government out of negotiations of trade between individuals altogether" the response is "But aren't you against protectionism?"
    Last edited by jmdrake; 11-10-2014 at 05:19 PM.

LibForestPaul

All as planned. More faux liberal/conservative paradigms.

As you well know, the overwhelming majority of Americans on all sides of any issue fully embrace government at all levels. Maybe we could get the "one man - one woman" proponents to see the value of getting the government out of marriage if all libertarians spoke on that as a united front. But instead half (guestimate) fall into the "Well we've got to expand the government role in the meantime to be fair" camp.

Edit: And your argument reminds me of those who say "We need NAFTA for free trade". When others of us say "Managed trade isn't free trade. Get the government out of negotiations of trade between individuals altogether" the response is "But aren't you against protectionism?"
    We've discussed my argument before. You even agreed with it. Basically, since so much law is wrapped up in the marriage laws, then the best proposal would be simply allowing anyone to declare, anyone, a beneficiary with regard to government programs directed at married couples. It could be a brother, mother, brother, sister, best friend, lover. At that point start getting the government out of determining certain benefits provided to "couplings", period.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    I want to go in your house and watch tv, but you won't let me. I got mental anguish now.
    Aww $#@!! Sorry about that. What do I owe you? Your muscle men?

*gets checkbook*

Ya know we really don't even have the most flamboyant of tvs. I wish you would've asked around, maybe next door -they got a nice one they'd be willing to share with you, but hey, it's your choice and your musclemen, and my tv, so here's your check.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Well , one thing I can say . This has lead to exactly where I knew it would .

NY Court: Farmers to Be Re-Educated, Pay Fines for Not Hosting Homosexual Wedding

(CNSNews.com) – A couple who hosts occasional wedding ceremonies on their New York farm have lost an appeal to overturn the $13,000 in fines levied against them by the state’s human rights agency, which ruled that their refusal to host a wedding for two women was discriminatory.

On Jan. 14, the New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Department, upheld the agency’s order and the fines, a decision the Alliance Defending Freedom - which represented Robert and Cynthia Gifford - said amounted to confirming, “that the government can punish the Giffords for declining to coordinate a ceremony that conflicts with their conscience.”

The couple lives in a barn they built on their farm and have occasionally hosted weddings on the first floor and the surrounding backyard area, according to ADF.

“After the agency ruled that the Giffords were guilty of ‘sexual orientation discrimination,’ it fined them $10,000, plus $3,000 in damages and ordered them to implement re-education training classes designed to contradict the couple’s religious beliefs about marriage,” a press release issued following the court decision stated.

AD FEEDBACK
    In order to comply with the order, the couple will have to attend those “re-training” classes or have a “trainer” come to them, according to ADF.

“All Americans should be free to live and work according to their beliefs, especially in our own backyards,” ADF legal counsel Caleb Dalton, who argued before the court on behalf of the couple in Gifford v. Erwin, said in a statement. “The government went after both this couple’s freedom and their ability to make a living simply for adhering to their faith on their own property.

“The court should have rejected this unwarranted and unconstitutional government intrusion, so we will consult with our client regarding appeal,” Dalton said.

ADF attorneys argued that the First Amendment prohibits the government from forcing a wedding coordinator like Cynthia to plan and participate in a ceremony that violates her faith.

“The appeals court decision, however, sidestepped that argument and is allowing the government coercion to continue,” the ADF press release stated.

ADF explained the background of the case: “On Sept. 25, 2012, Melisa McCarthy called Cynthia Gifford, inquiring about the use of the farm for her upcoming same-sex ceremony. Because of her Christian faith’s teachings on marriage, Cynthia politely told McCarthy that she and her husband don’t host and coordinate same-sex ceremonies but left open an invitation to visit the farm to consider it as a potential reception site. Instead, McCarthy and her partner filed a complaint with the Division of Human Rights.”
    http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...=n-gay-wedding
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Sexual orientation discrimination versus religious discrimination. The latter is enshrined in the First Amendment and yet gets trumped by the courts, and the former which which skews the XIV Amendment and due process, generally? Also, Obergefell v. Hodges was decided in 2015--compelling all states to acknowledge same sex marriages.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Re-education camps.

Just wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    Sexual orientation discrimination versus religious discrimination. The latter is enshrined in the First Amendment and yet gets trumped by the courts, and the former which which skews the XIV Amendment and due process, generally?
    Negative Rights are long-dead in Amerika. All Rights are filtered through Leviathan.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast