Thread: Rand Op-Ed: Obama’s ISIS War Is Illegal

Rand Op-Ed: Obama’s ISIS War Is Illegal

For a generation, Democrats stood up against Republican presidents who they deemed to be too eager to go to war—or too ready to put troops in harm’s way without the full consent of the American people through their elected representatives in Congress.
    Where have those Democratic protectors of the constitutional authority of Congress gone? Was it always just a partisan attack on Republican presidents?
    If not, when will Democrats—who so vociferously opposed a Republican president’s extraconstitutional war-making powers—stand up and oppose President Obama’s unconstitutional usurpation of war-making powers?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...s-illegal.html

-virgil

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Rand Op-Ed: Obama’s ISIS War Is Illegal

I believe the president must come to Congress to begin a war. I also believe the War Powers Act is misunderstood; President Obama acted without true constitutional authority even before the 90 days expired, since we were not under attack at that time.

But in either case, this war is now illegal. It must be declared and made valid, or it must be ended.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...s-illegal.html

You tell 'em, Rand. I wonder if McConnell is on board with this...
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

WWI - Democrat POTUS

WWII -Democrat POTUS

Korea - Democrat POTUS

Viet Nam - Democrat POTUS

War party?????

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    WWI - Democrat POTUS

WWII -Democrat POTUS

Korea - Democrat POTUS

War party?????

You are missing out on a couple wars aren't you? According to your list, no war has EVER been started by a GOP president...

WWI - Democrat POTUS

WWII -Democrat POTUS

Korea - Democrat POTUS

War party?????

Wasnt Korea Eisenhower and Nixon veteoed the war powers act. Both parties are war parties, and both parties have minorities of people that are anti war. The anti war republicans have essentially vanished since Reagan.
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

Quote Originally Posted by dillo View Post
    Wasnt Korea Eisenhower and Nixon veteoed the war powers act. Both parties are war parties, and both parties have minorities of people that are anti war. The anti war republicans have essentially vanished since Reagan.
    Nope, Truman and the UN started US involvement with Korea.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=korean+war

WWI - Democrat POTUS

WWII -Democrat POTUS

Korea - Democrat POTUS

War party?????

And the proxy wars/coups that Eisenhower, Nixon, & Reagan instigated, not to mention Bush 1 & 2's love affair with the Middle East don't count?

Quote Originally Posted by NIU Students for Liberty View Post
    And the proxy wars/coups that Eisenhower, Nixon, & Reagan instigated, not to mention Bush 1 & 2's love affair with the Middle East don't count?
    lets make a list of Presidents who haven't started wars.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NIU Students for Liberty View Post
    Given the comparable magnitudes and body counts, they don't really count for much.

Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    lets make a list of Presidents who haven't started wars.
    That would be a great list to have in all seriousness. So seriously, what presidents have been good little doobies and not gotten their nose in anything? The first one I can think of going backwards from today is Harrison (although he was only in office for about a month and a half before dying of pneumonia).

This would be a fun list to see.

Quote Originally Posted by KEEF View Post
    That would be a great list to have in all seriousness. So seriously, what presidents have been good little doobies and not gotten their nose in anything? The first one I can think of going backwards from today is Harrison (although he was only in office for about a month and a half before dying of pneumonia).

This would be a fun list to see.
    Calvin Coolidge?

But in either case, this war is now illegal. It must be declared and made valid, or it must be ended.
    Wrong. If it's illegal, then it must be ended immediately, until it is declared and made valid.

I totally agree with Rand, but I don't think the GOP base would agree and the War Powers Act is so confusing (and unconstitutional) to make the average voter think the president has the authority to start wars.

Rand has better battles to fight than this one. Get elected president and then make Congress vote on all these wars by saying you don't have the authority to fight them as commander-in-chief without an up an down vote in Congress.

Given the comparable magnitudes and body counts, they don't really count for much.
    How many bodies do you need for it to be declared a "war." I mean 3,000 people were killed on 9/11. I guess you don't declare that a declaration of war on our country?

"The Congress shall have the power to declare war" seems tragically ambiguous to me, notwithstanding various quotations by founding fathers not explicitly codified in the Constitution (I am reminded of Stefan Molyneux's lament that his cell phone contract is far more detailed than U.S. Constitution). The statement by Madison to Jefferson that "The constitution supposes, what the History of all Governments demonstrates, that the Executive is the branch of power most interested in war, and most prone to it. It has accordingly with studied care vested the question of war in the Legislature” does not seem to be codified nearly this forcefully. If this was the intention, they appeared to have dropped the ball pretty badly in writing the document.

UPDATE: Good read from Tom Wood's website:

http://www.libertyclassroom.com/warpowers/

Rand might score points by reciting some of these anecdotes about how other Presidents handled military aggression with respect to Congress. I am optimistic that most people would say, if Jefferson, Madison, and Washington could do it, why can't Obama? The masses simply don't know any better.
    Last edited by anaconda; 11-10-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    How many bodies do you need for it to be declared a "war." I mean 3,000 people were killed on 9/11. I guess you don't declare that a declaration of war on our country?
    Nah, that's just another typical government protection/defense SNAFUBAR.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yea good point when 3000 people die the constitution goes out the window and you invade countries that had nothing to do with killing your countrymen
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

Even CNN pundits are agreeing with Rand.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/10/politi...sis/index.html
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

By who?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by JJ2 View Post
    Wrong. If it's illegal, then it must be ended immediately, until it is declared and made valid.
    If it's illegal then the president, cabinet members, and many others (anyone with reasonable culpability) ought be impeached/indicted and upon conviction put in a cage.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

If Rand thinks Obama is overstepping his WPA authority into illegal action now, just wait until we start publicly going after the Syrian government itself. The narrative is about to change to reflect this shift toward the real goal of the entire 'ISIS' operation.

Obama: Can't defeat ISIS without removing Assad
    http://news.yahoo.com/obama-seeks-re...013916944.html
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book