update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBRlpzT5soc

--

Rand Paul
    Martin Short
    Andrew Sullivan
    Margaret Hoover
    Jeremy Scahill

Nice that he'll not only be on, but will be on with Jeremy Scahill. Andrew Sullivan being on might help too (maybe -- he's alternately praised/criticized Ron and Rand over the years)

The question is, will he be a panelist or just in a solo interview?
    Last edited by jct74; 11-15-2014 at 08:15 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe worth a watch.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

I mean, they're usually always on a panel discussion. He may direct questions to some guests directly, but it's mostly a panel.

I wonder how Rand will answer the question if he's asked whether marijuana should be legalized.

Margret Hoover is a pro gay rights conservative and has worked with young conservative organizations and wrote a book about it.

Then you have Martin Short who is one of my top favorite comedians. This is definitely an episode to watch.
    Founder and leader of the militant wing of the Salvation Army.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    I mean, they're usually always on a panel discussion. He may direct questions to some guests directly, but it's mostly a panel.
    both times his pops was on it was an interview only, he didn't take part in the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    both times his pops was on it was an interview only, he didn't take part in the panel.
    True. Then again, the last two senators to appear on Maher's show (Bernie Sanders and Angus King) were panelists.

Andrew Sullivan and Margaret Hoover will most likely be panelists. The interviews usually go to people who are either promoting something or are subject matter experts. Jeremy Scahill is a subject matter expert. Martin Short perhaps is promoting something.

The person who is the second interview slot on Maher's show usually joins the panel for the second half of the show, though.

So all that said, hopefully Rand will be a panelist!

(I just did way too much analysis, jeez)

Just got rid of HBO last week. Murphy's law kicking me in the nuts again.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Scahill for Secretary of State, January 2017. Hopefully he and Rand will exchange phone numbers during the show.

Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    So all that said, hopefully Rand will be a panelist!
    Sadly not:
    "Real Time With Bill Maher" could make some headlines this week: Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., will be the top-of-show guest.

Actor Martin Short will be the mid-show interview.

The panel will be political commentator Margaret Hoover, blogger/commentator Andrew Sullivan and investigative journalist Jeremy Scahill...
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/enter...1111-post.html
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Actually, on last week's episode, the top-of-the-show guest joined the panel for the second half of the show. So it's still possible.

I hope you L.A people will find a way there to the taping to cheer him on. Republican rarely get cheers on his show although Ron Paul did.

Woah. That's about as solid a line up as Real Time can get.

**A SUGGESTION FOR TEAM RAND**
    Set aside time before (or after) the show for Rand to have an off-the-record one-on-one sit-down with Andrew Sullivan (like his drink w/ Bill Maher).

Sullivan is the most relentless attack (and guard) dog in all of politics (surpassing even Greenwald, Raimondo, Jonah Goldberg, Kevin Williamson, etc.). Having him in our corner in the battle against Hillary and the other GOP contenders would be a HUGE win for Team Rand.

Also, many of Sullivan's posts in support of Obama during the 2008 election were some of the most widely shared on Facebook & Twitter. Like him or not, the man can write with the best of 'em.

A lot of politics is personal, and giving Sullivan the ability to have a better/clearer sense of the person behind the politician would, I suspect, make it easier for him to voice his support.
    Last edited by WD-NY; 11-11-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WD-NY View Post
    Sullivan is the most relentless attack (and guard) dog in all of politics (surpassing even Greenwald, Raimondo, Jonah Goldberg, Kevin Williamson, etc.). Having him in our corner in the battle against Hillary and the other GOP contenders would be a HUGE win for Team Rand.

Also, many of Sullivan's posts in support of Obama during the 2008 election were some of the most widely shared on Facebook & Twitter. Like him or not, the man can write with the best of 'em.
    I personally think Sullivan is a power-worshipping crackpot, but that's not a bad idea.

Although the conservative base takes a pretty dim view of him, given his obsession with Sarah Palin's uterus. Until the general rolls around, I doubt his support would be a good thing...
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

I hate to put too much stock in Bill Maher, but this appearance is potentially very important. Maher is not just a major liberal icon, he's practically the prototype of the kind of liberal voter Rand is best poised to pull to his side in a 2016 matchup. Getting Maher to continue saying what he said last month ("he's the first Republican I'd consider voting for") will be seen as permission for liberals to consider crossing over.

Rand needs to convince everyone he can draw would-be Hillary voters to his side -- a unique prospect among the Republican candidate field. It's both key to his 2016 general election win and key to getting the nomination (being able to argue he's the most electable vs. Hillary because he can draw Democrats and Independents, even far-left liberal votes).

Also, this appearance needs to go well insofar as Rand will definitely need to return to the show next season, which will be predicated on this appearance going well.

I hope Rand has some good talking points ready to roll out when Maher asks him about global warming. Maher has already telegraphed (in interviews last month) that this will be a central question -- he said in an interview that (paraphrasing) "When Rand and I had drinks, he gave me an answer on global warming that was so bad I'm not going to repeat it, I'll let him reflect on it and think of a better one, he needs a better argument on this."
    Last edited by economics102; 11-11-2014 at 10:55 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I wonder how Rand will answer the question if he's asked whether marijuana should be legalized.
    *Not a FEDGOV issue, states should decide.
    *Focus on harm reduction instead of incarceration.
    *Giving back rights to victims of the drug war.

Something along those lines ?

Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    Getting Maher to continue saying what he said last month ("he's the first Republican I'd consider voting for") will be seen as permission for liberals to consider crossing over.

Rand needs to convince everyone he can draw would-be Hillary voters to his side -- a unique prospect among the Republican candidate field.
    Understand that it's actually a little simpler than that. He doesn't actually need them to cross over. He only needs them to stay home. They come out in droves because of the fear mongering done by the media against GOP candidates. If Rand even appears a little less scary, that will help him. If the left's voters are ambivalent about which candidate should win the Presidency, Rand's already a shoo-in.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Understand that it's actually a little simpler than that. He doesn't actually need them to cross over. He only needs them to stay home. They come out in droves because of the fear mongering done by the media against GOP candidates. If Rand even appears a little less scary, that will help him. If the left's voters are ambivalent about which candidate should win the Presidency, Rand's already a shoo-in.
    This is true in the general election, but in the primaries, I don't think Rand can campaign on the argument "I'm the only GOP candidate who liberals won't turn out in droves to 'stop'". But he CAN campaign on "I can get liberals AND conservatives to vote for me, I can beat the liberal candidate"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    You kidding me? Ayn-Rand Paul is the scariest dude out there. I mean, geez, the guy's a serial plagiarist and is against the Civil Rights Act. Not even a real board certified doctor! And, his freaking toupee man!
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    You kidding me? Ayn-Rand Paul is the scariest dude out there. I mean, geez, the guy's a serial plagiarist and is against the Civil Rights Act. Not even a real board certified doctor! And, his freaking toupee man!
    Heh, not bad. Just add in a mention of how he and his alter-ego the Southern Avenger want a rematch on the Civil War and you'll have all the bases covered!

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    LMFAOOOOOOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by mello View Post
    Just got rid of HBO last week. Murphy's law kicking me in the nuts again.
    Meh, you'll be able to find the episode on the internet if you know where to look.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A link would be appreciated.

TUNING IN NOW
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by philipped View Post
    TUNING IN NOW
    Is Mr. Paul on the "panel?" Or is he going to be a phone-in guest on the big screen?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast