Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chaga

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    This looks awesome. I've been planning on experimenting with making healthy 'Almond Joys'. One of my all time favorite candies. So, I'm thinking about starting this way:

cacao nibs
    coconut oil (Aunt Patty's - it's a thick cream for those who don't know that)
    shredded, dried coconut
    raw honey
    organic raw almonds

I thought I'd mix the coconut oil with the coconut flakes just thick enough to form bars (on wax paper).
    Press almonds on the bars, refrigerate.
    Grind the nibs into a powder (this can be tricky), and then mix them with the honey and warm it, but don't simmer because of course, it loses its nutritional value.
    Let the nibs sit and dissolve completely into the honey. Periodically stirring well.
    Spoon the cacao/honey mixture over the bars. (may need to warm mixture up again).
    Refrigerate

All natural, all healthy. Not sure what the caloric value is though, probably fairly high, but hey, if it works, I won't feel as guilty eating these.
    Have you ever heard of Coconut Truffles?

Take Organic Unrefined coconut oil and scoop out with melon ball scooper. (about 20) It is rolled in cacao powder, coconut sugar and minced toasted Almonds (or any nuts you would prefer). I like the Almonds. They are really fabulous.

I may add to the dry mix some Chaga. I think it will be great.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Have you ever heard of Coconut Truffles?

Take Organic Unrefined coconut oil and scoop out with melon ball scooper. (about 20) It is rolled in cacao powder, coconut sugar and minced toasted Almonds (or any nuts you would prefer). I like the Almonds. They are really fabulous.

I may add to the dry mix some Chaga. I think it will be great.
    Oh dayem. The cravings are starting. A trip to the health food store is in my near future. lol.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    Oh dayem. The cravings are starting. A trip to the health food store is in my near future. lol.

You can even toast your coconut flakes and add to the dry mix too. There are many different ways you can make these. I was even thinking of using dry Goji berries to it as well.

Christmas this year is going to have these--much to my husband's chagrin.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10 Natural Solutions For Boosting Your Immune System - See more at: http://www.naturalblaze.co

10 Natural Solutions For Boosting Your Immune System

by Alanna Ketler

Everybody gets sick from time to time, some more often than others. Most people do tend to get sick more often in the colder months. Is this because the cold weather causes the cold symptoms? No. It’s because the air is dryer which makes it easier for viruses to travel, and generally people are not getting enough sunlight and water intake. Instead of reaching for that bottle of symptom suppressant, over-the-counter drug, why not opt to heal what caused you to develop the cold in the first place, and boost your immune system?

Below are the top 10 remedies for treating the common cold naturally, and boosting your immune system.

1. Vitamin D

This is one of the most overlooked and perhaps most effective remedies for treating the common cold. It is important to get as much sunshine and fresh air as you can during the colder months, but sometimes it is just too cold, and it’s nice to just curl up inside with a blanket, hot tea and a good movie. Consider taking a high dose of vitamin D3 daily, but even higher when you are sick. Some experts recommend taking 10,000 international units or more of Vitamin D3 to get yourself back to normal health.

2. Honey

Make sure to purchase raw, organic, unpasteurized honey. Not only can this boost your immune system, but it treats cold and flu symptoms as well. Honey has a diverse array of antioxidant, antiviral and antibacterial nutrients. It also mixes well with a few of the ingredients that will be mentioned below.

3. Ginger

Like honey, ginger is an amazing healer, which also has anti-inflammatory properties. Ginger has long been known to ease nausea, which can be very beneficial if you have a cold. It also helps to warm the body, which is beneficial in assisting with the expelling of toxins and other invaders. Try mixing some fresh grated ginger root with some honey and hot water.

4. Oil Of Oregano

Potent, yet, disgusting! I kid you not, this powerful oil will open up your sinuses and leave the most awful taste in your mouth - but it works! Each little, disgusting droplet contains antibacterial, antiviral and antioxidant properties that can directly fight off cold and flu bugs in your body.

5. Onion

There are many different ways that onions are said to help prevent and even cure colds and flu including: cutting an onion in half and placing it in the room of the sick person. Rumor has it that the onion will absorb the bacteria and the virus. Another modality involves cutting a white onion in half and putting each half against each foot of the person who is sick and securing each onion in place with a sock before bed. These may sound crazy, but many people swear by these techniques. Check out some more information on these methods here. For those who are a bit more skeptical, try eating onions, raw and cooked, whichever way you like, while sick. Onions are rich in sulfur-containing compounds; sulfur is a powerful detox element that helps the body to release toxins.

6. Cinnamon

Cinnamon has extremely high anti-oxidant activity and the oil of cinnamon has strong anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. To treat your cold, try adding a cinnamon stick to boiling water for 2 minutes or so, drink the water as is or mix it with some honey and lemon.

7. Pepper

The capsaicin that is present in pepper helps to thin mucous and provide relief from congestion. While sick, try eating more pepper on your food than you normally would, or try gargling a teaspoon of black pepper mixed with some warm water. You can also benefit from smelling pepper throughout the day. Caution: this may cause you to sneeze a lot!

8. Apple Cider Vinegar

Because cold viruses tend to cause the body to become overly acidic, which makes it harder for the immune system to fight off the virus, apple cider can do wonders to alkalize the body. While this powerful vinegar has amazing healing benefits which you can read more about here, it is also quite unpleasant. Try mixing it with warm water, honey and lemon to make it a bit more bearable and you’ll be better in no time!

9. Vitamin C

This vitamin is a powerful immune booster and also an excellent remedy for both treating and preventing colds. Many experts believe that an extremely high dose of vitamin C (2,000 mg or more) can be very beneficial for treatment. If this seems like too much for you, consider eating lots of vitamin C rich foods such as peppers, leafy greens such as kale, kiwis, berries citrus fruits, (try juicing these) and many others.

10. Chaga Mushroom

Chaga mushroom, also knows as “The Gift From God” by the Siberians and the “Mushroom of Immortality,” is a fungus that grows on birch trees. There are far too many benefits to list here, so I will stick to how it helps to treat a cold and write a whole other article on all of these amazing benefits of the chaga mushroom. One of the many active constituents of the chaga mushroom is beta glucans, which can boost the immune system, and treat the common cold, flu, allergies and many other ailments. Try boiling a piece of chaga mushroom with hot water and adding turmeric and honey.

http://www.naturalblaze.com/2014/11/....uAsnujnp.dpuf

Wanted to bump this thread for the nasty flu season we are having.

Chaga mushroom: Nine potential health benefits

Impressive article on Chaga.

Chaga mushroom: Nine potential health benefits

By Zawn Villines
    Reviewed by Debra Rose Wilson, PhD, MSN, RN, IBCLC, AHN-BC, CHT

Chaga mushrooms contain a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.

The chaga mushroom grows on birch trees throughout the northern hemisphere. It resembles a dark clump of dirt more than a mushroom, but is distinguished from other growths by its orange tissue.

Doctors, alternative medicine advocates, and researchers are increasingly interested in the potential health benefits of the chaga mushroom (Inonotus obliquus). Some studies on chaga mushrooms have yielded promising results.

1. Nutrient dense superfood

Chaga mushrooms are rich in a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, including:

B-complex vitamins
    vitamin D
    potassium
    rubidium
    cesium
    amino acids
    fiber
    copper
    selenium
    zinc
    iron
    manganese
    magnesium
    calcium

2. Preventing and fighting cancer

Increasingly, researchers are taking seriously the possibility that chaga mushrooms may be able to prevent cancer and slow its growth.

Chaga is rich in antioxidants, which are chemicals that help prevent cell damage caused by free radicals or oxidants. When the body is unable to produce enough antioxidants to prevent this damage, oxidative stress occurs. Oxidative stress can cause cancer and a host of other health problems.

A 2010 study found that chaga could slow the growth of lung, breast, and cervical cancer cells in a petri dish. The same study also found that chaga could slow the growth of tumors in mice.

A 2009 study found that triterpenes, the compounds found in chaga and some other mushrooms, cause tumor cells to self-destruct. Unlike other cancer treatments, however, chaga does not appear to harm healthy cells.

Although other studies have found similarly promising results, they have all been carried out on animals or in a laboratory. To prove the anti-cancer benefits of chaga conclusively, researchers will need to conduct extensive studies on humans.

3. Lowering cholesterol

Chaga mushrooms contain many antioxidants that may reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL), the so-called "bad" cholesterol.

High cholesterol is a significant risk factor for heart disease, so chaga mushrooms could be useful in the fight against cardiovascular disease.

4. Slowing the aging process

Oxidative stress causes physical signs of aging, such as wrinkles, sagging skin, and gray hair. Exposure to sun, pollution, and other sources of damage create too many free radicals for the body to neutralize, which accelerates the aging process of the skin.

In theory, supplying the body with more antioxidants could slow the aging process, or even reverse visible signs of aging.

Although no research has conclusively linked chaga to anti-aging benefits, its effectiveness in fighting other forms of oxidative stress suggests that it could also fight aging.

5. Lowering blood pressure

Research suggests that oxidative stress is a contributing factor for high blood pressure. People with high blood pressure are more prone to heart attacks, strokes, and other cardiovascular health issues.

Chaga's antioxidants could have a potential role in lowering blood pressure and preventing poor cardiovascular health.

6. Supporting the immune system

Cytokines are the immune system's chemical messengers. They are proteins that play a vital role in stimulating white blood cells, which are the immune system's first line of defense against a range of illnesses.

Some research on mice suggests that chaga may help regulate the production of cytokines, supporting the immune system by helping cells communicate with one another. This could help fight infections, from minor colds to life-threatening illnesses.

7. Fighting inflammation

When the body is fighting an illness, inflammation supports the fight. But sometimes, inflammation transitions from a short-term attack to a chronic health problem.

Some illnesses, particularly chronic conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, are linked to inflammation. Recent research suggests that some conditions that are not considered inflammatory, including depression, may be partly due to chronic inflammation.

Chaga's role in regulating cytokine production may also help control inflammation. This points to a role for chaga in fighting autoimmune conditions and possibly some other diseases.

8. Lowering blood sugar

Chaga might also have a role in the fight against diabetes.

A 2006 study found that chaga mushrooms could lower blood sugar in rats. The rodents were genetically modified to have diabetes and to be obese. After eating chaga mushrooms for 8 weeks, their blood sugar levels were lower.

Though no research has been done on humans yet, this suggests that chaga might contribute to an alternative treatment for diabetes in the future.

9. Preventing drug side effects

Research is still in its infancy, but if chaga proves effective at fighting illnesses such as cancer and arthritis, it could be an alternative to traditional treatments.

Treating people with chaga mushrooms could prevent them from experiencing the side effects of other treatments, such as chemotherapy, radiation, and various medications prescribed for chronic illnesses.

How to use chaga mushrooms

Chaga mushroom is available as a supplement and in herbal teas.

People planning to make their own chaga supplements, or who wish to incorporate chaga into their diet, should consult a doctor before doing so. The right daily intake of chaga varies depending on treatment goals.

Chaga is not a substitute for other forms of medical care, so people who have conditions such as cancer, diabetes, or high blood pressure should continue with their usual treatment.

Instead, chaga can be incorporated as a supplement under the direction of a doctor.

Risks of chaga mushrooms
    As with other supplements and medications, chaga carries some risks. It can also trigger side effects and may interact dangerously with some medications.

Because chaga lowers blood sugar, it can be dangerous for people taking insulin and other blood sugar-lowering medications.

To reduce the risks of using chaga mushrooms, a person should consider the following:

Continue taking all prescribed medications, as chaga is not a substitute for traditional medicine.
    Tell a doctor about all medications being used. As with other drugs and supplements, chaga may alter the effectiveness of various medications.
    Write down any side effects from chaga use. Though rare, chaga can trigger an allergic reaction in some people. Trouble breathing, changes in heart rate, and loss of consciousness are medical emergencies.
    Avoid using other herbal supplements while taking chaga, unless a doctor advises otherwise.
    Research supplement brands and buy from reputable sources, as chaga is not monitored by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318527.php

HAHAHA, I love this guy.

I wonder what else he has hidden in his fro.

I started this today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    HAHAHA, I love this guy.

I wonder what else he has hidden in his fro.
    LOL! Pencils? Knitting needles? Glasses?

LOL! Pencils? Knitting needles? Glasses?
    I suspect he's growing his chaga mushrooms in that bush.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I suspect he's growing his chaga mushrooms in that bush.
    Maybe he is a human Chia Pet?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe he is a human Chia Pet?
    Make sense...
    Cha-Cha-Cha-Chaga

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected."

Heil Honkler!

Thanks for the useful information! I never heard of Chang. Now I'm every day drinking green smoothies. Well, help me when I had a problem with digestion. Recently I met a vegetarian and he advised me to a great blog about a healthy lifestyle! Who are interesting this topic, was glad to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Nsaacarr View Post
    Thanks for the useful information! I never heard of Chang. Now I'm every day drinking green smoothies. Well, help me when I had a problem with digestion. Recently I met a vegetarian and he advised me to a great blog about a healthy lifestyle! Who are interesting this topic, was glad to help!
    If I click the magic blue words do I get a unicorn?
    "The Patriarch"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12