View Poll Results: Should the US ever enter trade agreements arbitrated by international tribunals?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • The US should NEVER enter a trade agreement with BINDING ISDS terms.

5 100.00%
  • Sure, as long as the trade terms are cool.

0 0%

Thread: DO YOU SUPPORT: Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) ???

DO YOU SUPPORT: Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) ???

I'm fired up and its time to bust out the crayons.

The Traditional Way:

States are sovereign... when trade disputes arise, diplomats meet in embassies, sometimes these disputes are resolved by tit for tat actions... other times the offending state concedes to complaints. Symbolic agreements are made "in good faith".

Congress makes final decisions regarding our duties, tariffs, and excises.
    Our foreign trade partners make final decisions regarding their duties, tariffs, and excises.

Constitutional text
    The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence[note 1] and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxing_and_Spending_Clause

The ISDS Way:

Supranational organizations like the UN, WTO, World Bank, or other international tribunals are the final arbitrators of trade disputes. Trade agreements specifically state that the contract is made under "international law" and supranational arbitrators decisions are final and BINDING to party States.

For the past 20 years or so, ALL international trade agreements made by the United States have involved supranational "Investor-State Dispute Settlement".

ISDS has been a feature of nearly all US-backed trade agreements and many of Australia's free trade agreements. It is similar to rights granted in bilateral investment treaties which enable commercial entities to initiate international arbitration if provisions for freedom to invest are not respected.
    http://www.chinamoneynetwork.com/201...rade-agreement

That includes NAFTA and all of supposed "Free Trade Agreements" listed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ade_agreements

I prefer to more accurately refer to these contracts as "Supranationally Arbitraded Trade Agreements"

Where we used to have private relations with these foreign nations, we now have supranationally ARBITRATED relations, with BINDING consequences under "International Law".

Today, the United States has become a leader of the free trade movement, standing behind groups such as the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (later the World Trade Organization).

The Trans Pacific Partnership is currently being negotiated behind closed doors... presumably it will also contain binding supranational ISDS provisions.

"If the TPP -- and by extension a Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific which is now being considered by APEC -- is to succeed,

ISDS
    is an essential part of this architecture."
    http://www.chinamoneynetwork.com/201...rade-agreement
    Last edited by presence; 11-09-2014 at 09:29 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I trust Congress about as much as the WTO with regards to making free trade regular.

Considering the implications of Article I, Section VIII, Clause I, may they all go $#@! themselves with a rusty nail.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Don't know. I'm still undecided. I need to research this issue more to know the pros and cons of these agreements. I do know that for years the John Birch Society types were claiming that trade agreements like NAFTA were going to lead to a one world government, and that certainly hasn't happened. I think there are probably valid reasons to be opposed to these trade deals, but some of the opposition is just hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    for years the John Birch Society types were claiming that trade agreements like NAFTA
    were going to lead to a one world government,

and that certainly hasn't happened

Meanwhile...

UN says US states' pot legalization not in line with international law!

80,000 Prisoners in Solitary; US Summoned to UN Torture Hearings

Slain Ferguson teen's dad seeks justice at UN

'We crossed the line', US admits to UN anti-torture body

United Nations condemns US Cuba embargo

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...