Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul to Obama: "Prioritize" Passage of Trans-Pacific Partnership

Rand Paul to Obama: "Prioritize" Passage of Trans-Pacific Partnership

thenewamerican.com 03 November 2014

Politics, the saying goes, makes strange bedfellows. In presidential politics, the cozy compromises with the unconstitutional seem even more unsettling.

Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.), a man whose personal popularity and political fortunes have increased in direct proportion to his spreading of his libertarian-leaning ideals, has now publicly embraced the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), an unprecedented sovereignty surrender masquerading as a multi-national trade pact.

Paul’s speech coincided with the TPP ministerial meeting conducted October 19-24 in Sydney, Australia.

Speaking at the Center for the National Interest dinner in New York City on October 23, Senator Paul said:

Our national power is a function of the national economy. During the Reagan renaissance, our strength in the world reflected our successful economy.

Low growth, high unemployment, and big deficits have undercut our influence in the world. Americans have suffered real consequences from a weak economy.

President George W. Bush understood that part of the projection of American power is the exporting of American goods and culture. His administration successfully brokered fourteen new free trade agreements and negotiated three others that are the only new free trade agreements approved since President Obama took office. Instead of just talking about a so-called “pivot to Asia,” the Obama administration should prioritize negotiating the Trans-Pacific Partnership by year’s end.

Why would Rand Paul, a man who has in the past demonstrated a remarkable adherence to the principles of the Constitution, make his own “pivot” away from those doctrines and toward a pact as pernicious as the TPP? Perhaps the answer is found in this paragraph from a story on Paul’s speech printed in The Diplomat: "As a Republican presidential hopeful, Paul likely recognizes that his and the party’s interests are best served by trying to find some issues on which Republicans can cooperate with the administration. This would give the American electorate confidence that the Republican Party is interested in governing, and would make it harder for Democrats to use disgust with the Republican Party to mobilize the Democratic base in the 2016 election."...SNIP

...While the TPP grants corporate giants such as Walmart and Monsanto the power to bypass Congress and the courts, the elected representatives of the American people are kept from even seeing the draft version of the agreement...SNIP

...Republicans, Democrats, and Americans of all political persuasions need to understand particulars of the TPP that threaten not only the economic vitality of the United States (contrary to the claims of Senator Paul in his speech), but the fundamental principles of elective government, as well.

In November 2013, portions of the TPP draft agreement published by WikiLeaks contained sketches of President Obama’s plans to surrender American sovereignty to international tribunals.

Another WikiLeaks disclosure in January 2014 revealed that the president was attempting to surrender sovereignty over U.S. environmental policy to international bureaucrats interested in lowering those standards to mirror those of our TPP partner nations. Naturally, the green lobby criticized this concession, organizing demonstrations opposing the agreement...
    SNIP

Full Article: http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...ic-partnership

From the comments:

chthompson • 5 days ago

It's official, Rand Paul sold out to the globalist mafia. I want a refund for all of the hard-earned money I sent his lying campaign for senator and I will actively campaign against him in 2016 if he chooses to run.

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

Deals with the devil are never worth it Paul. I'm so disappointed in you I don't even know where to start. Shame on you for betraying your base. You know as well as all of us that these fake "free" trade deals are not "free" in any sense.

Once this becomes more widely known in the Liberty Movement, you will be left without a single donor or supporter that first got you in office. Shame on you!

Please reconsider your misguided support for this Obamanation!

Related: Thanks to WikiLeaks, we see just how bad TPP trade deal is for regular people
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ctual-property

The Trans-Pacific Partnership treaty is the complete opposite of 'free trade'

The TPP would strip our constitutional rights, while offering no gains for the majority of Americans. It's a win for corporations

...But the TPP and its promoters are full to the brim with ironies. It is quite amazing that a treaty like the TPP can still be promoted as a "free trade" agreement when its most economically important provisions are the exact opposite of "free trade" – the expansion of protectionism...
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...usurp-congress

Candidate Obama the Con Man lies to prospective voters about NAFTA, like he lied about not supporting the Heritage Foundation mandate to buy health insurance.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Until such time that this is shown to be inaccurate.....

$#@! YOU RAND

Joy, another "managed trade" deal.

Nice going Rand.

!!!

That does it. I'm out.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

I had shared my thoughts on the TPP elsewhere. Basically this is how it works...

What the TPP does is that it empowers corporations to sue governments abroad and even here at home in ad hoc arbitration tribunals to demand compensation from governments for laws and regulations they claim undermine their business interests. The TPP allows for multi-national corporations to use the TPP deal to bypass domestic courts and local laws and would allow corporations to go after governments before foreign tribunals to demand compensation from protections that they claim would undermine their expected future profits. TPP would allow private investors to directly file claims against governments that regulate them, as opposed to a WTO-like system where nation states decide whether claims are brought. Human rights will basically be tossed out the window given restructuring of personhood and the way that we understand it. A kind of repatriation as it were. Of, by and for a different brand of people.

This is one of the most malicious pieces of US corporate lobbying that we have ev er seen. And so it is no wonder that it's been kept quiet. TPP is about world domination for US corporations. Nothing else.

We're seeing Argentina, Ukraine, Russia and some others (actually a long list of nations) fighting back against the initial onslought or the foundations for this tyranny as it occurs in their repective corners of the world as these economic hitmen begin to try to plant their feet. Manipulate media and that kind of thing during the initial stages. Of course, we won't hear about it from legacy/corporate media. As it is, they also have much to gain here with the TPP.

No doubt about it, we're going to see some folks left really red faced with this thing in the end. Should probably emphasize red faced just from a point of irony alone but that's another debate, I suppose. And it just comes down to incompetence in the Foreign Policy department and a lack of grasp on the history of the world and the way that various nations historically function with one another. I think that some fairly good people in the business of representation are going to end up taking a big hit and end up looking really dirty when this thing evolves and the rest of the world responds to the marcantilist opportunists who have penned this thing.

Of course, if anyone is paying attention, the U.S. has lost practically all international support from the 11 other Pacific Rim nations who have been previously engaged in TPP discussions. And so it is no surprise to see trustees in this kind of malicious legislation to want to hurry it up while other nations rebuild economic infrastructure that suits their own interests and health as nations.

And what I've mentioned here is very vague but a fairly clear overall picture of what this so called trade deal is all about.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-08-2014 at 10:59 AM.

The bottom line with these supposed "Free Trade Deals" are that arbitration is done by the World Bank and the United Nations. Their decisions are BINDING.

ONLY CONGRESS HAS THE AUTHORITY TO REGULATE TRADE.

$#@! the World Bank
    $#@! the UN

and $#@! any politician, including Rand, if he supports this bull$#@!.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I had shared my thoughts on the TPP elsewhere. Basically this is how it works...

And what I've mentioned here is very vague but a fairly clear overall picture of what this so called trade deal is all about.
    The Guardian Links in the OP do a pretty good job of explaining this assault on what is left of our Constitutional Republic

this topic really belongs here:

National Sovereignty

News on matters of U.S. national sovereignty. Topics include: Trans-Pacific Partnership, United Nations, World Trade Organization, trade agreements, treaties and other dealings with multinational "authorities".

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is exactly why I haven't paid attention to Rand and why I lost the enthusiasm I once had for his father. Ever since he voted for sanctions on Iran I have hardly followed the guy. Then later he made it sound like droning Americans was okay with him until he had to back-peddle on it. I remember it was this board that called him out on it even.

Making plans to leave the US is a possibility everyone should start considering. The USSA is a communist country. The only people who think we are still a free country are brainwashed blue-collar serfs that aren't a threat to the aristocrats power.

Now we have the TPP. Oh goodie. And on that note, $#@! politics...I'm out.
    Last edited by muh_roads; 11-08-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    this topic really belongs here:
    I posted it here so more would see it. How many here ever actually go to National Sovereignty?

The TPP requires immediate attention. It will probably be passed right away, due to the results of the last election.

Evidently, Rand and his handlers have decided that they don't need the 2% libertarian leaning voters in the next election.

If Rand were to endorse war on Syria, Russia, and 10 other countries to be named later, he could really lock up his chances for the nomination.

His nomination would be cemented if he were to endorse more banking "reform" and co-author an Obamacare Reform (protection) Act.

I'm now hoping that Jesse Benton will be part of Rand's '16 dream team.

Ya'll need to vote harder.

There are few things that could cause me to abandon Rand as my 2016 favorite, and this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Evidently, Rand and his handlers have decided that they don't need the 2% libertarian leaning voters in the next election.
    The Official Organ of "Rand 2016" on this board, The Collinz, has already made that perfectly clear.

They'd prefer all us weirdoes to go away, that we are not really wanted or needed and are just an embarrassment to the insiders, the "professionals", the cocktail party and wife swapping crowd in DC.

I'm torn: whether to walk away in disgust or hang around to $#@! up their scene?
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Rand has better clarify how he feels about the worst parts of it. In other words, is he pleased with the language, or does he just support the vague idea. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...d-supports-TPP
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Rand has better clarify how he feels about the worst parts of it. In other words, is he pleased with the language, or does he just support the vague idea. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...d-supports-TPP
    He'd better wake the F up because if he goes into those 2016 primaries without his father's base voters, his chances of winning are zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The Official Organ of "Rand 2016" on this board, The Collinz, has already made that perfectly clear.

They'd prefer all us weirdoes to go away, that we are not really wanted or needed and are just an embarrassment to the insiders, the "professionals", the cocktail party and wife swapping crowd in DC.

I'm torn: whether to walk away in disgust or hang around to $#@! up their scene?
    Great minds think alike.

I was contemplating whether to make a general shout-out to Teh Collinz to explain to us how this is a winning strategy for Rand. Then, I thought, what a stupid question. Of course it's a winning strategy. Part of winning is selling us the $#@! out.

Let's stay around AF. If my grotesque demeanor and character costs Rand the nomination, all the better. Let's get Hillary, Romney, Christy, or zio-con to be named later in there and let's get on with it......
    Last edited by sparebulb; 11-08-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    He'd better wake the F up because if he goes into those 2016 primaries without his father's base voters, his chances of winning are zero.
    Indeed. The link I posted showed where he was actually speaking about it, he only mentioned it in brief passing. He should be asked to state his position on it more clearly.
    Last edited by William Tell; 11-08-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Amazing that this is such a big deal here, especially when most people would consider Rand's position on this to be the libertarian position.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Amazing that this is such a big deal here, especially when most people would consider Rand's position on this to be the libertarian position.
    The issue is not so much trade, as it is this SPECIFIC deal, which a number of us are all too familiar with.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Most of his base voters aren't going to refuse to support him because he supports free trade.

No clarification is needed:

President George W. Bush understood that part of the projection of American power is the exporting of American goods and culture. His administration successfully brokered fourteen new free trade agreements and negotiated three others that are the only new free trade agreements approved since President Obama took office. Instead of just talking about a so-called “pivot to Asia,” the Obama administration should prioritize negotiating the Trans-Pacific Partnership by year’s end.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    The issue is not so much trade, as it is this SPECIFIC deal, which a number of us are all too familiar with.
    Rand probably feels that the lower tariffs trump some of the other things in the deal which aren't so good. I don't see how it's as clear cut as everyone here makes it out to be on this forum.
    Last edited by Brett85; 11-08-2014 at 11:53 AM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    No clarification is needed:

Of course clarification is needed, Rand needs to explain his position on national sovereignty. That does not mean you need to support him, but he must do so for his own good. Talking about negotiating trade does not have to mean total endorsement of the deal as written. Although it could.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Rand probably feels that the lower tariffs trump some of the other things in the deal which aren't so good. I don't see how it's as clear cut as everyone here makes it out to be on this forum.
    If the article is correct, then tariffs are the least of our worries.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Most of his base voters aren't going to refuse to support him because he supports free trade.
    The TPP and the TTIP are NOT about "Free Trade". They say they are, to fool those who don't bother to educate themselves.

These articles can help you understand why:

Thanks to WikiLeaks, we see just how bad TPP trade deal is for regular people
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ctual-property

The Trans-Pacific Partnership treaty is the complete opposite of 'free trade'
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...usurp-congress

Any idea why it's kept so secret?

And they're called "Agreements" so as to bypass the legal requirements for TREATIES just like NAFTA is the "North American Free Trade AGREEMENT"

Trans-Pacific Strategic Economic Partnership Agreement
    Transatlantic Free Trade Agreement (TTIP)

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/11/p...wave%E2%80%A8/

The first is the rising clamor from Corporate America for the newly empowered Republicans to grant Obama fast track authority and support his Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement.

Fast track would be a unilateral surrender of Congressional authority, yielding all power to amend trade treaties to Obama, and leaving Congress with a yes or no vote on whatever treaty he brings home.

This would be a Republican ratification of the policies of Bush I and II that produced $10 trillion in trade deficits, hollowed out our manufacturing base, and sent abroad the jobs of millions of Reagan Democrats.

Globalization carpet-bombed Middle America and killed the Nixon-Reagan coalition that used to give the GOP 49-state landslides.

Why would Republicans return to that Bush-Clinton-Obama policy that ended the economic independence of Eisenhower’s America?
    --Albert J. Nock

More here: Rand supports TPP?
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...d-supports-TPP

I just posted something on it the other day:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...lican-Congress
    --Albert J. Nock

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast