Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative to Benzos to treat anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Truth is it is no harder than simply breathing in and out and concentrating simply on that. No need for "Lotus" positions, etc. My brother told me a story about his Navy aviation electronics training today. When he was in school an instructor told the students that the first thing you checked was a particular fuse. Three weeks later he held an exam. Asked everyone to diagnose the problems. People went hither and thither. My brother remembered what the instructor had originally taught and went straight for the blown fuse. Long story short. Go back to the beginning. Breathing is our beginning.
    I agree, with that. I am usually lying in bed in the early hours of the morning when these episodes appear now. I close my eyes and focus on mentally reciting the Lord's Prayer a few times, and voila, I am at ease to the point where I go quickly back to sleep. Works every time for me.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As I've mentioned before what works for others may not work for you. It is as individual as the anxiety you perceive versus what others do. I have a "devil may care" attitude when it comes to life. However, I experience anxiety when two people I know and care about want to become drama bitches and I'm caught in the middle. The older I get the more I've found that relieving the anxiety comes through removing all parties until they realize that their actions affect me. Drama bitches are about themselves. No regard for those caught in between. Best to just let 'em go. They'll be back. Because they will hope that you will sympathize next go around.

I can be a bit of drama queen myself

I'm more accustomed to the mean girl with a flair for the dramatic, though. A "drama queen" would be too exhausting.

drama queen + mean girl = drama bitch?
    Last edited by pessimist; 11-07-2014 at 11:47 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You know, come to think of it- I think the shy librarian type would either be kind of boring or a nymphomaniac.

The twenty-something waitress type is probably a single mom who had her nursing career shattered by getting knocked up by some douchebag she met in high school, so now she is juggling two jobs and classes at her local community college all while raising a kid.

Then there are liberal arts/hipster/indie chick types that I am attracted to. From my experience, they can be pretty moody and demanding, but at least they're interesting. Drama isn't always bad. haha
    Last edited by pessimist; 11-08-2014 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pessimist View Post

I'm more accustomed to the mean girl with a flair for the dramatic, though. A "drama queen" would be too exhausting.

Naw. I'm not at war with women. Males can be drama queens and bitches. And that's the "regular" guys I know. The *****s I know are approaching the half century mark, like myself, and they have grown tired of the excessively needy attention whores themselves. Of course I laugh my ass off when they tell me this and remind them of themselves from 20 years ago.

You know, come to think of it- I think the shy librarian type would either be kind of boring or a nymphomaniac.

The twenty-something waitress type is probably a single mom who had her nursing career shattered by getting knocked up by some douchebag she met in high school, so now she is juggling two jobs and classes at her local community college all while raising a kid.

Then there are liberal arts/hipster/indie chick types that I am attracted to. From my experience, they can be pretty moody and demanding, but at least they're interesting. Drama isn't always bad. haha
    No. Drama sucks. It creates anxiety. The point of this thread, no? Find an equilibrium on yourself and then, if you wish, find the same in a partner. I don't know how old you are but 30 should be the absolute cutoff. Find yourself someone of equal mind. That may not even work out but at least try for it. Who the hell wants a life of turmoil?

No. Drama sucks. It creates anxiety. The point of this thread, no? Find an equilibrium on yourself and then, if you wish, find the same in a partner. I don't know how old you are but 30 should be the absolute cutoff. Find yourself someone of equal mind. That may not even work out but at least try for it. Who the hell wants a life of turmoil?
    vvv

I think there's some confusion in this thread. There is a difference between anxiety, which is a normal feeling all humans experience, and an anxiety disorder - which can be pretty damn brutal and most people cannot relate to. Nearly everything suggested so far... smoking pot, whacking it, meditation, etc, are ways to alleviate normal anxiety. But they don't really do jack $#@! to help with chronic anxiety disorders. Since OP is talking about benzos....I assume he's referring to a chronic disorder.

I've dealt with chronic anxiety for most of my life and haven't found the solution for me yet. There are some things that definitely help. Avoid stimulants and alcohol. Get good sleep. Exercise vigorously at least 3 days a week.

But as I'm sure you know those things only go so far. Cognitive behavioral therapy can really help a lot. And from what I read... CBT combined with taking an SSRI can help even more. I've never really gone the medicine route... but it may be worth trying.

But yea... taking benzos is only going to dig your hole deeper. So don't go down that path.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    I think there's some confusion in this thread. There is a difference between anxiety, which is a normal feeling all humans experience, and an anxiety disorder - which can be pretty damn brutal and most people cannot relate to. Nearly everything suggested so far... smoking pot, whacking it, meditation, etc, are ways to alleviate normal anxiety. But they don't really do jack $#@! to help with chronic anxiety disorders. Since OP is talking about benzos....I assume he's referring to a chronic disorder.

I've dealt with chronic anxiety for most of my life and haven't found the solution for me yet. There are some things that definitely help. Avoid stimulants and alcohol. Get good sleep. Exercise vigorously at least 3 days a week.

But as I'm sure you know those things only go so far. Cognitive behavioral therapy can really help a lot. And from what I read... CBT combined with taking an SSRI can help even more. I've never really gone the medicine route... but it may be worth trying.

But yea... taking benzos is only going to dig your hole deeper. So don't go down that path.
    Covered in post #5

Everyone is different. Ya got to find your own way through it. I just quit going to Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    vvv
    /thread

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post

Yeah, people have trouble understanding what an HSP (highly sensitive person) and GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) are. They tend to associate it with common anxiety/worry/nervousness everyone experiences.

benzos do work though, wish I could find another 'quick fix' that is less addictive/harmful.

I've dealt with chronic anxiety for most of my life and haven't found the solution for me yet.
    there probably isn't a 'cure' for those of us who have had it our entire lives.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The "cure" for chronic anxiety is 60 days in the county.

After that life won't stress you any more.

Pregnenolone is something worth trying. It's safe, you don't need a prescription. You don't hear about it because since it's a natural substance, it's not patentable, but from its wikipedia page you can learn it can be good for anxiety (it will likely improve overall well being).

I suggest trying 100 mg for one or two weeks. Life Extension Pregnenolone 100 mg I think is a good brand.

Not all anxieties can be cured with meditation. Some are hormonal disorders.
    Last edited by jj-; 11-08-2014 at 12:04 PM.

What supplements do you take? Do you take vitamin E? A vitamin E supplement which contains gamma tocopherol can help with overall stress. 4spectrum I think is the best brand for those who might be sensitive.

“…I believe that at this point in history, the greatest danger to our freedom and way of life comes from the reasonable fear of omniscient State powers kept in check by nothing more than policy documents.”

Quote Originally Posted by DGambler View Post

Interesting.

My brain needs more of a 'pause' button or an 'off switch' rather than a "work out" though.

Mine is more of a hyperawareness caused by an overactive nervous system. I'm hypersensitive to so many different things; sights, sounds, touch, and even other people’s emotions.
    Having read this, I regret my earlier post recommending herbs. I know exactly what you are talking about.

I had a really bad year of this in graduate school. I had to walk out of every class and just get away for 5 minutes. I must have looked a bit out of sorts because I never was confronted. I could hear every rustle of paper, snapping of gum, everything. It about drove me nuts. I also had ADHD and dyslexia as a kid.

Mine seemed to be from allergens to food and vaccines. I had this bad in grade school, was fine until I joined the Marines and received a new round of shots and then I got better and then I needed a Hep A shot in grad school for my job and that sent me over the edge for that year.

Also food allergens aggravate me. Try avoiding ALL foods with trans-fat (hydrogenated oil, margarine, etc), High fructose corn syrup, artificial colors and preservatives. Eat more organics. Avoid soda and processed foods.

See if a certain food causes it with in a few minutes to a day. Sugary food makes me irritable with in fifteen minutes-- This can even be from eating raw carrots without a protein. My big food no nos are grains and pasteurized dairy. Yours may vary. We're all individuals. Experiment-- if something is said to be healthy but you get a sugar rush, then a crash-- don't listen to the latest health gurus or trends, listen to your body.

I've been fine since I really regulated my diet.

Fasting is also key. Once or twice a year I do 7 to 10 days of a water only fast with a 3 day dry fast in the middle. Some people go longer, but I have a fast metabolism and start looking very hollow eyed and cheeked if I go longer. With fasting, the body conserves it's energy and you find it won't waste time or energy dwelling on depression or anxiety. After 2 or so days the body is used to no food and it's quite easy. It also builds discipline with sticking to good foods. There's a reason why saintly people who seemed contented throughout history were known for fasting...

http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/anxiety.html I also like this website. It has thousands of anecdotal stories about what worked of didn't work for some people without being buried in tons of tangent posts.

I wish you the best. I know what you're going through. It sucked.

First buy 800 pounds of Epsom Salts...
    (Isolation tank aka flotation tank)

best to try before you buy or build:
    http://www.floatation.com/wheretofloat.html
    http://floatationlocations.com/

Some people sleep in them and claim 4 hours is all they need to recharge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m7xwx_bethesdaMagPhoto__800x568_.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	3371

Plans to build one can be found in John Lilly's book "the deep self" or online:

http://www.isolationtankplans.com/welcome/
    http://www.floattankshop.com/gallery.html
    http://www.thedeepself.org/2011/03/version-2b/
    http://www.samadhitank.com/owning.html

-t

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12