Thread: Will Rand have subpoena power? Chair of Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations?

Will Rand have subpoena power? Chair of Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations?

I heard something about Rand being set to become chair of the U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs' Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations. Is this accurate?

The website right now lists McCain as the ranking Republican.

If Rand is the Chair of this Subcommittee he could have a broad portfolio to go after the Obama administration. This would presumably include subpoena power. He'd be like a more level-headed and honest Darrell Issa.

Can anyone confirm or debunk?

http://www.hsgac.senate.gov/subcommi...igations/about
    Last edited by RonPaulGeorge&Ringo; 11-05-2014 at 02:54 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have no idea....doesn't sound right though. First term senators don't usually get to chair committees.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    I have no idea....doesn't sound right though. First term senators don't usually get to chair committees.
    Well it's "just" a subcommittee...

Ahh gotcha, sorry I misread your post. Could be possible... Might have to wait until January to find out.

Well, VICE says Ron Johnson has the inside track. but I do'nt see why he sohuld get it and not rand:

----------------------------------

" One of the more interesting places to watch if the GOP wins a majority will be the Senate's Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, or PSI, a panel that is known for having a talented staff with the authority to take depositions without a Senator being present, which means it can cover a lot of ground. Democratic Senator Carl Levin has chaired the subcommittee for ten of the last 14 years, and has been described as a one-man band leading government oversight of major $#@!ups, like the 2008 financial meltdown. But Levin is retiring, and Ohio Republican Rob Portman is likely to take his place, according to a Senate investigator with knowledge of the committee's workings. The position could make Portman one of Obama's most powerful adversaries, giving him the power to quietly dig deep into the administration's files until he finds a scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Most first term Senators aren't Rand Paul

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We've got a new GOP governor here up in the Bay State!!!!! Even though Senator Rand might not have been
    at any of Charlie Baker's recent rallies, way back in 2013 he sat on the same panel Charlie Baker did! I was
    sorta bemused and surprised to learn of his very slight lead over Martha Coakley. Hillary Clinton this October
    was up here campaigning for poor Martha Coakley, so Hillary's "loser" record is very open to one more name
    being added to it. Just being in the same room as Rand helps out a GOP guy's moxie down on the Cape and up
    up in the Berkshires. Senator Rand did his best for Scott Brown, who narrowly lost to Senator Jeanne Shaheen.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Actually, Sen. Mitch McConnell was very close to having one more GOP guy down in D.C sorta helping him figure out what
    a Majority Leader does for a living. I'm wishing everyone a very merrie holiday season & a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!